• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Changes from Melee

lolazerz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lolazerz
So Far we know that his Side Special does not stall. Neutral Special Charges way faster. His jab is different and faster. That's all I know so far. If anyone has anything else please share with a reply

Super Smash Fanatic

Smash Cadet
NNID
jacg31
3DS FC
0705-3237-7336
Pretty sure that f-tilt is new and counter is less strict. He also seems pretty decloned from the our of footage I watched.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

- Reverse Grip Sword Animations (Jab and F-Smash for example)
- D-Tilt has less cool-down than in Melee I think
- U-Tilt is similar to Project M (!) and seems comboable
- F-Tilt seems similar to that of Brawl Minus (!!), except without a projectile.
- U-Smash has little explosion now like in Melee SD Remix (!!!).
- D-Throw bounces opponents low, is intentionally made low for followups according to game tips, F-Throw seems to do same
- Dash Attack comes faster than Marth's

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
His d-tilt doesn't pop people up anymore. Pretty severe change of game here unfortunately. Dunno why people were saying it did.

His up-b also no longer has set knockback, so it's a lot safer.

You can still do fair into regrab on some characters and I'm pretty sure it's true on almost everyone. This is looking EXTREMELY powerful as an option.

Up b actually seems like a good combo finisher, it can kill. at good percents.

On some characters you can do fair into up smash etc.

Overall fair seems REALLY good for Roy in this game. Dtilt is really lack luster.

godogod

Smash Ace
His d-tilt doesn't pop people up anymore. Pretty severe change of game here unfortunately. Dunno why people were saying it did.

You can still do fair into regrab on some characters and I'm pretty sure it's true on almost everyone. This is looking EXTREMELY powerful as an option.

Overall fair seems REALLY good for Roy in this game. Dtilt is really lack luster.
How fast and heavy is he in this game.. And would you say he's better than Marth?

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
How fast and heavy is he in this game.. And would you say he's better than Marth?
I would say he is much better than marth simply because he can easily combo into his kill moves.I'll have an in-depth video guide sometime this week. He is somewhat fast and he falls VERY fast. He is lightweight and dies pretty easy though. He gets combo'd by characters like Falcon more than almost anyone else lol. To give an example of his weight, the knee blastzones him handily at around 66 percent from midstage on Dreamland Omega.

I think he will be a high skill but heavily punished character. He can get KOs really well and his attacks are not very laggy at all but he dies quick.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

Aww man on D-tilt. I guess you're forced to use it for spacing now. Rest sound good though.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Actually I just found a use for his
Aww man on D-tilt. I guess you're forced to use it for spacing now. Rest sound good though.
News about Dtilt: you can actually get guaranteed tech chases off of it at higher percents. The trajectory it sends is super low and the stun is pretty long, they'll hit the ground in hitstun. This isn't useful at low percents though because if they tech away there probably isn't anything you can do about it.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Other info... Flare Blade is a lot slower coming out than it was in Melee, it's a little harder to combo into. It does a LOT more knockback though.Semi charged ones kill at the edge really early.

Up throw is like Marths: not useful unless you fail to get the kill way late. It'll kill in the mid 100s.
D throw and fthrow look like the most useful ones for sure.

Side B doesn't give Roy a little hop, it actually makes him lunge down and forward a bit in the air. Dunno what applications this can be used for yet.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Yo Up-B is a kill move now, and a pretty good one at that! You can combo into it from JAB at kill percents. That's right, JAB. That's hilarious.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Honestly he's way different from his Melee counterpart. It might be easier just to list what's the same hahaha. To start on that point, fair --> regrab is still very easy to do and still one of his better options on hit confirm from fair.

Sora66

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sora66
How badly do u think the d tilt not popping off will affect is neutral game? Also what do u guys think he will be played. Very spacey????? Or maybe aggressive but still keeping your opponent at the range of your sword?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Yo Up-B is a kill move now, and a pretty good one at that! You can combo into it from JAB at kill percents. That's right, JAB. That's hilarious.
Doesn't look like it to me. On Mario he flys too far for any follow up remotely close to Blazer's KO%, and that's with no DI. On a high platform maybe, but not on a normal height.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Doesn't look like it to me. On Mario he flys too far for any follow up remotely close to Blazer's KO%, and that's with no DI. On a high platform maybe, but not on a normal height.
I could get it on Fox as a true combo. It's probably character dependent. It's worth noting that I had to move forward before using the move.

CNMNE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CNMNE
3DS FC
2895-8158-1141
How badly do u think the d tilt not popping off will affect is neutral game? Also what do u guys think he will be played. Very spacey????? Or maybe aggressive but still keeping your opponent at the range of your sword?
The d-tilt not popping is gonna make his combos very different, but that doesn't really matter anymore because his combos are different simply because of his move set changes. Also, he can't be spacey, he just can't! He's really aggressive and the difference in knock back would actually hinder spacing. and he's stronger at the base of his sword so he's probably gonna be hyper aggressive. All my friends who use him benefit from a up close, few-hit-combo kind of play style. Sorta like Ganon with a sword and some nice frame data.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Explains a bit, but I'm still skeptical. This against an actual human?
Nah it was in training. I have done it in 1v1s against the FG players though. Not the best fare to test stuff on but it works. One time I think he tried to DI in or something and got hit by it. The second time I did I knew he was going to airdodge so I just baited it out and hit him in recovery. This is still an extremely solid option.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Nah it was in training. I have done it in 1v1s against the FG players though. Not the best fare to test stuff on but it works. One time I think he tried to DI in or something and got hit by it. The second time I did I knew he was going to airdodge so I just baited it out and hit him in recovery. This is still an extremely solid option.
I don't think there's anything keeping you from just double jumping away or retaliating with an aerial.

Lemon Girl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Maguitus
3DS FC
0147-0570-9943
Up-Smash doesn't spike anymore as far as I can see, have anyone tested this?

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
I don't think there's anything keeping you from just double jumping away or retaliating with an aerial.
I'm pretty Sure Up B will beat most aerials. And yeah if you DI properly you can probably safely Double jump away, but then you're still in the air and without your second jump, so you're not exactly safe yet.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I'm pretty Sure Up B will beat most aerials. And yeah if you DI properly you can probably safely Double jump away, but then you're still in the air and without your second jump, so you're not exactly safe yet.
Most decent characters can probably get an aerial out before Roy runs over, and even with no DI you can easily jump away. How often will you really catch people without a double jump? A whiff id highly punishable, too.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Most decent characters can probably get an aerial out before Roy runs over, and even with no DI you can easily jump away. How often will you really catch people without a double jump? A whiff id highly punishable, too.
No, I don't mean catch the Double Jump with the Up B. I mean as in, the threat of the Up B will make them do something else which you can punish or at least push advantage on if you can't punish it. You can Up B on reaction to an air dodge or if they hastily throw out an aerial. If they double jump you're obviously going to just stay underneath them.

Last edited:

LochTessMonster

Smash Cadet
Up B should beat most aerials if timed right as it has super armor/intangibility similar to Ike's Aether. I've gotten KO's using the up B from a down throw a couple times now on people. At kill percents his up B won't combo from a down throw, but if your opponent has gotten used to you going for that option usually they'll try to do an airdodge, leaving them pretty vulnerable.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
No, I don't mean catch the Double Jump with the Up B. I mean as in, the threat of the Up B will make them do something else which you can punish or at least push advantage on if you can't punish it. You can Up B on reaction to an air dodge or if they hastily throw out an aerial. If they double jump you're obviously going to just stay underneath them.
He really can't keep up to an escaping opponent, they get too far for even a proper mix-up if they're smart. And this is at absolute point blank range, in practice they'll be even further when you hit them.

Big thing is that the % window for performing this is narrow, and his jab doesn't have a ton of range. It's not that hard to outspace him for the period where this is possible, and combined with rage it's easy for your opportunity to blow by quickly. Might not even come at all with good DI, which you hardly see at all since Vectoring wasn't ever completely removed and most don't understand this.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Changes that I missed are:
No popup from Dtilt,
Side B Down 3 doesn't multiple hit with fire on top.
Fully Charging Neutral B no longer shake the stage/screen, causes Roy to begin blinking like crazy as if he about to release the Hell May herself. Explosion isn't as big as Melee.

Overall, I like everything else. Up B killing is the best thing to happen to him. I love killing people with this.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Changes that I missed are:
No popup from Dtilt,
Side B Down 3 doesn't multiple hit with fire on top.
Fully Charging Neutral B no longer shake the stage/screen, causes Roy to begin blinking like crazy as if he about to release the Hell May herself. Explosion isn't as big as Melee.

Overall, I like everything else. Up B killing is the best thing to happen to him. I love killing people with this.
Blazer is definitely a lot better now, but the problem is that it's not going to be as effective later on since it's easy to DI right on reaction, being a multihit move with like four hits.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Blazer is definitely a lot better now, but the problem is that it's not going to be as effective later on since it's easy to DI right on reaction, being a multihit move with like four hits.
Well people still have problem with ZSS's UP B so at mid levels I will be fine. But you are right at top level play.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
But ZSS' up B can only be DIed out of in certain situations.

The main thing I noticed is how manoeuvrable Roy has become in the air. The way he SHs out of a dash looks similar to Melee Falcon : he goes very far while staying very close to the ground. He can also drift like crazy after his up B and on top of that the sourspot of his Fair seems to have a very horizontal trajectory à la Melee Sheik. If that doesn't scream EDGEGUARD to you I don't know what will.

His range is so short he might as well fight bare handed, but that goes together with his highly increased mobility tranforming Roy from a "slower but stronger than Marth" clone in Melee to a "faster but less safe" semi clone in smash 4.

Also thumbs up for all those new animations. That small step on neutral B release man, and that reverse grip on Jab. And that friggin final smash animation man, that's just too much swag.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
He was given the same amount of changes Falco and Ganondorf got in Brawl. Here's a complete list of the changes in comparison of the two.

Ganondorf

- Different Jab
- Different U-Tilt
- Different F-Tilt
- Different D-Tilt
- Different F-Air
- Different Up Smash
- Different Neutral B
- Different Side B
- Different Up B

Falco

- Different Jab
- Different Fury Strikes
- Different U-Tilt
- Different D-Tilt
- Different Side Smash
- Different F-Air
- Different N-Air
- Different Neutral B
- Different Down B

Roy

- Different Jab
- Different F-Tilt
- Different U-Tilt
- Different Side Smash
- Different Dash Attack
- Different D-Air
- Different Neutral B
- Different Up B
- Different Down B

Last edited:

ymtah

Smash Cadet
U-Smash does not spike any more and also d-throw into 2xJab is almost garinted and possibly into another grab

spread the word we got usmash spike

unless this was some insane circumstantial affinity that created a situation that simply made it look like an usmash spike. the recording is mine so i can supply more info if this aint solid enough

Last edited:

IWinToLose

Smash Apprentice
Some more misc points:
  • DTilt is incredible for gimping people, particularly characters with recoveries like Falcon, Ganon, and even other Roys. I find the sour spot to work amazingly well for this
  • Many of Roy's moves lead to tech chase situations. Some off the top of my head include DTilt, FThrow and some of his aerials. If they miss the tech, you can usually get a free dash attack or even an FSmash at low %'s to lock them into the ground
  • B (uncharged) is very safe on non-perfect shield. Think of it like Ganon's UpSmash. People will often try to punish you if they shield a B and you can punish them for trying to punish you because of how safe B is

Last edited:
Top Bottom