• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Challenger Pack 11: A Retrospective On Final Characters

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I imagine a large part of the cost would be the insanely HD trailers they do, which the nintendo characters dont have and given we just had Kazuya with his, id say the next thing will be something less ambitious.
Byleth, Min Min & Pyra/Mythra do have CG trailers, to be entirely fair. They're just really unconventional for CG, with Byleth's and Pythra's being animated by their respective developers, and Min Min's having a sort of "Guilty Gear" kind of animation if my perception isn't playing tricks on me.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
Byleth, Min Min & Pyra/Mythra do have CG trailers, to be entirely fair. They're just really unconventional for CG, with Byleth's and Pythra's being animated by their respective developers, and Min Min's having a sort of "Guilty Gear" kind of animation if my perception isn't playing tricks on me.
Thats what I meant, they arent the super HD smash studio trailers, they get the games teams to do stuff. As for one that could fit, Rhythm heaven could easily do some 2D animation for a trailer.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
So, who do you guys think would be the most affordable character to serve as our finale character?
Louie, he'd share plenty of moves with Olimar, has a very similar body type, and already there's tons of Pikmin content (though more content from Pikmin 2, Louie's game of origin, wouldn't hurt) so he could easily be slotted in. Captain Charlie even moreso, since his game, Pikmin 3, already has a stage, music, and spirits!

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
I do hope that our last character is a cartoony character. I actually think, if not Crash or Rayman, that the best third party character option would be Frogger. I know I have said it a lot, but that legend could be a truly unique player, known far beyond the gaming community. There aren't many characters left that are known to the greater masses of people.
I actually think that Bub & Bob have more unique moveset potential than Frogger, as a retro rep. But unfortunately, both them and Lara Croft are now owned by Square Enix, which has already gotten several characters.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I actually think that Bub & Bob have more unique moveset potential than Frogger, as a retro rep. But unfortunately, both them and Lara Croft are now owned by Square Enix, which has already gotten several characters.
I'm fully team Lara Croft- and I don't see any issue with another company getting multiple characters in a pass (especially when they are owned by different smaller companies within a larger company).

I'm not sure it matters what we consider to be "moveset potential."

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So if the drama with the Newcomer Thread isn't enough to tip you off, it's safe to say that our final fighter will be associated with the color purple.

For context, the New Zealand Nintendo site has listed the colors for all the fighters in Fighters Pass 2, and the only one that hasn't had a revealed fighter yet is dark orchid purple. This led to Nahobino being the catalyst of such a divide, which ended up locking the thread for a few hours. Needless to say, out next character is tied to the color purple.

So this gets me thinking in what way would the final character be associated with such a color. They wouldn't exactly fit. There are a few methods this could go down, since color affiliation in Smash Ultimate can be rather wonky:

-Affiliation with the color itself:
* Waluigi: There has been no doubt that Waluigi has been extremely requested since the full reveal of Ultimate for good reason. I feel like there's no introduction to be had.

-Affiliation with things that are purple:
* Nihilego: We don't have an Ultra Beast playable yet, and Spirit promotions have been done before. Its connection to purple is based on its Poison-typing, and Nihilego is the first-ever Ultra Beast they revealed.

-Affiliation with the colors making up purple:
* Officer Howard: While the characters were put in a Spirit Event during Fighters Pass 1, I feel like Officer Howard could make for a great character as either sibling has been in blue and red outfits before. Not to mention, blue and red are prominent colors in the game.

-Franchise affiliation with the color:
* Reimu: The Touhou Project series has a large emphasis on purple things, from Reimu herself starting off with purple hair to a lot of the characters having purple like Usami, Patchouli and Yukari, to even some games majorly sporting purple colors like Perfect Cherry Blossom.

Sorry if I don't have other examples at the moment, I just wanted to bring this up.

Last edited:

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Here's a thing I did for speculation on the last character:
  • Who I want: Sora, Eggman, BWD (I'm more torn on Crash)
  • Who I think it'll be: Anyone who hasn't been deconfirmed yet
  • Who would be possible: No idea
  • Who I feel is unlikely: Anyone who has been deconfirmed or otherwise may not make it
  • Who would be funny: Phoenix Wright
  • Who I don't want: Any Assist Trophy

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
When it comes to Challenger Pack 11 all I have to say is CRASH... 4... SMASH!!!

This is my stockpile of extremely solid evidence! Let's have faith in our marsupial comrade!

1. Smash team made a point to highlight fan requests during the mii costume presentation!

2. Crash can reuse assets like sliding down tilt, his spin attack (Meta Knight/Incineroar neutral-B) and Sonic's Up-special!

3. Sakurai hints on twitter. Clearly hinted Kazuya with Harada. Well maybe that clock stuff was a legit hint! Cool.

4. Geoff Keighley keeps hinting at Crash at every opportunity for a Smash reveal. First the VGA with the "Whoa" react. Then just before E3 with an AMA where he said Crash "Smashes his lines every time" or something! WHOA indeed.

5. Sakurai's comment about how the toys he buys are good for under-the-shoe reference material. Tons of Crash photos of him kicking his feet and having paw prints under his shoes! Could be another hint!

6. Something more light-hearted following super serious Kazuya which is more fitting with Smash.

7. Activision 5 year plan thing maybe. Whatever who knows?

8. Nintendo has worked with Activision before on Skylanders!

9. Newly reinstated relevancy along with established legacy as a character in gaming!

10. Well-known crowd-pleasing potential!

11. Also the familiar faces shoutout from Nintendo along with Spyro.

12. Crash Bandicoot Anniversary Bundle coming to Nintendo Switch WHOA

13. Sony is possibly hinting at Crash4Smash with that new history video entitled "Crash Bandicoot - Recap Video" of Crash they released a week ago on their official youtube channel! Seems like there's a push to remind people about Crash and where's he's gone as a character! That's super interesting!

14. Crash Bandicoot has a notable amount of popularity for a western character in Japan! His games sold reasonably well and he even had a short-lived manga! What an honor for a western character to receive!

15. There's a photo on twitter of Crash Bandicoot training with somebody that looks awfully coded for Wii Fit Trainer! I think it might be another hint!

16. Crash's 25th birthday is coming up in September! Maybe they'll announce a direct then!

17. Crash Bandicoot has tons of toys/figurines for Sakurai to hide in his drawer!

18. There was that voice recording between Neo Cortex and Crash's voice actors that we still don't know about! Could be an NDA or something going on!

19. Crash could have been redesigned to fit into Super Smash Bros! His new looks fits very well into the current meld of Smash! He was made to look more cartoony just all characters coming to Smash have to be modified to look! The Smash team maybe pointed this out to TFB and that's the reason they'd didn't reuse N'sane trilogy's design/assets!

20. Crash Bandicoot has a special rivalry with Sonic and Mario that people like! Crash being in Smash allows this nostalgia to be capitalized on! Makes enough thematic sense I'd say!

21. These Wumpa League (new game) rumors? What's this all about except also no matter it's just another reason to put Crash Bandicoot into SUPER SMASH BROS!!!

22. This could help promote Crash's new mobile game Crash on the Run! Just a little extra evidence!

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
The character who I really don't want to be the last character is Sora. I've been betting too much against him because he's owned by Disney, and his games are full of movie characters. Hopefully when the last character comes and it's not him, and he doesn't even get a Mii Costume the Sora4Smash hype could finally die. If he does end up as the last character, I would still play as him because I love Kingdom Hearts, and for the WTF factor of a Disney character in Smash, but then I would be requesting Goku, Starkiller, Android 21, Galena, Mickey Mouse, Chase McCain, Batman, Harry Potter and Lord Vortech for the next Smash game.

Another hyped character I don't want would be Ryu Hayabusa. We already have a Ryu in the game. Sure, they can get around it by just calling him Hayabusa, but I prefer the Dead or Alive ladies.

And I don't want anyone from Mario, Pokémon, Fire Emblem, or any franchise that's already too overrepresented in Smash. We remember how it went with Byleth. Though my problem with Byleth was more about his game releasing too late for Fighters Pass 1 and not that he's from Fire Emblem. Though being a first-party in a line of third-party characters was also weird.

Some characters who I would LIKE to see include Crash Bandicoot, an indie rep, a Dragalia Lost character and Phoenix Wright. However, if it's Phoenix Wright, his moveset cannot copy the Marvel game he's been in.

UserKev

Smash Champion
They said "focusing mainly on Nintendo Switch games launching" = leaving room for a Smash reveal.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Finally the Smash speculation will be coming to a close! Or will the character threads stay up for the next possible Smash game? Who's the last character? I don't care. Just give it and we're done!

Top Bottom