• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Challenger Approaching: Mewtwo Strikes Back

Keeshu

Smash Ace
I'm very glad one of my favorite Nintendo characters is back in smash bros. Just gotta get Wolf and all the characters I have mained at some point will be in smash 4.
I hope he gets to be a little better than he was in melee, at least his side B. Reflecting the projectiles should make the projectiles do damage like every other reflect (instead of just pass through the enemy, seemed like a glitch when I played Melee), and not allow the enemy to hit you with something stronger before you finish the animation when you hit them with it (and it was a set knockback too).
It's a bummer that it's a paid DLC because that means not everyone will have him. Then again if someone has smash, I really doubt that they would not buy all the characters.

Looking forward to playing/watching Mewtwo in Sm4sh.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
The only problem with this is that canonically, Mewtwo never makes physical contact, even remaining essentially motionless out of battle, to conserve energy. Mewtwo's moves are all non-physical psychic moves and it has a very colorful learnset that even includes Fire Blast, Blizzard, and Thunder.
Actually, Mewtwo can learn Aqua Tail and Iron Tail and he can also learn several physical contact moves. Heck, I have a Mewtwo with Drain Punch and Zen Headbutt.
It's kind of silly to take the source material to heart to the extent of saying "but this character wouldn't kick/punch/tail whip" when a character has the limbs for the job. I mean, Peach kicks, Palutena kicks, Zelda kicks, so there is nothing wrong with Mewtwo using that tail, as he should.

Last edited:

EarthBoundEnigma

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EarthBoundEnigma
Actually, Mewtwo can learn Aqua Tail and Iron Tail and he can also learn several physical contact moves. Heck, I have a Mewtwo with Drain Punch and Zen Headbutt.
It's kind of silly to take the source material to heart to the extent of saying "but this character wouldn't kick/punch/tail whip" when a character has the limbs for the job. I mean, Peach kicks, Palutena kicks, Zelda kicks, so there is nothing wrong with Mewtwo using that tail, as he should.
Is it really the most interesting and thematically fitting moveset, though?
Even Aqua Tail would be a better fit than tail whip, as it stands.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
I dont like that Mewtwo still has basically the same moveset from Melee which was part of what contributed to him being a low tier... (Dsmash still only hits on one side, and his useless confusion and disable are still here)

unless he gets some wicked alternate specials, and those become tourney legal, I'm afraid he'll be low tier again unless his speed & weight attributes are buffed :/

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I dont like that Mewtwo still has basically the same moveset from Melee which was part of what contributed to him being a low tier... (Dsmash still only hits on one side, and his useless confusion and disable are still here)

unless he gets some wicked alternate specials, and those become tourney legal, I'm afraid he'll be low tier again unless his speed & weight attributes are buffed :/
Mewtwo's moveset was just fine in Melee (his tilts, Usmash and Nair were awesome), it was mostly his stats and attributes that made him low tier rather than his moves. It's also premature to call his placement in the tier list based on this; a character may have the same moveset but it doesn't mean it's going to fare the same, after all it's a different game. Link and Ness are prime examples of this, relatively similar yet different in this iteration.
And Confusion useless? Really? It was a bad move in Melee but didn't you noticed that they fixed it this time around? It is now a proper reflector and Mewtwo seems to be able to act out of it fast enough to even be able follow up with an attack, it may have enough hitstun to prevent the user from being punished and in this game having a command grab is always a good choice. As for Disable, it's too early to make a fair judgement on it. It might provide more stun and less cooldown thus making it more viable but that is yet to see.
Very few veterans have had drastic changes since their debut to the present day so I think people were expecting too much to have an overhaul. His current moveset comes as no surprise.

Last edited:

Blue Sun Studios

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueSunStudios
3DS FC
4768-8305-0092
If anyone wants to enjoy a non-Mewtwo infested online experience, you have until the twenty-eighth. That is all.

Trigspro789

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Trigspro789
3DS FC
3566-2013-0217
Anyone else notice pikachu at the end of the trailer?

Iblistech

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NeosCross
3DS FC
3179-6577-8881
Switch FC
SW-7096-0760-2425
If anyone wants to enjoy a non-Mewtwo infested online experience, you have until the twenty-eighth. That is all.
Yep, otherwise you'll more than likely see him being used online a lot once Club Nintendo members like myself have downloaded him into our games on the 15th.

Last edited:

Liggli

Smash Apprentice
If a player haven't downloaded the DLC - that player can't see that DLC used online.
What has to be done is to have 2 different playlists online:
With All DLC - Without* DLC
*If all four players already have that DLC, then they could used it for that match.

SegaFan1992

Smash Rookie
If a player haven't downloaded the DLC - that player can't see that DLC used online.
What has to be done is to have 2 different playlists online:
With All DLC - Without* DLC
*If all four players already have that DLC, then they could used it for that match.
actually there is an update coming with mewtwo so most likely, what will happen is he can be seen by players with the update, therefore only those who have him can use him, but still can be used.

Blue Sun Studios

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueSunStudios
3DS FC
4768-8305-0092
Yep, otherwise you'll more than likely see him being used online a lot once Club Nintendo members like myself have downloaded him into our games on the 15th.
Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that. Welp, looks like the date's been knocked down a few pegs folks, ya' hear?

Liggli

Smash Apprentice
actually there is an update coming with mewtwo so most likely, what will happen is he can be seen by players with the update, therefore only those who have him can use him, but still can be used.
So updates will include DLC-characters?
It's a solution that will work - but are people okay with having locked characters that they won't download? Especially when they never play online?

And people do rage over DLC itself; and wouldn't it be even more rage when the characters are downloaded for free, but locked behind a pay wall?

64tamiat

Smash Rookie
NNID
Superbad2007
i am scared of all the noobs spamming down b on for glory

LandMaster

Smash Cadet
NNID
Williaml19354
During yesterday's Nintendo Direct, Nintendo confirmed the release of Mewtwo for Super Smash Brothers for Wii U DLC. Mewtwo first appeared in Super Smash Brothers Melee but was one of the few characters removed for Super Smash Brothers Brawl. A long time favorite, Mewtwo was introduced to the Pokemon franchise in Pokemon Red and Blue as a legendary character with psychic abilities. In Super Smash Brothers Melee, Mewtwo was considered a low tier character. Will things shape up different for Super Smash Brothers for Wii U? Check out the new MewTwo forums to learn more!

Mewtwo will be available for download to Club Nintendo members beginning April 15th, 2015. Beginning April 28th, 2015, it will be available for purchase. Check out the official site for DLC information. MewTwo will cost $3.99 on for each individual system (Wii U, 3DS) or $4.99 for both.

My Penis is hard

Top Bottom