• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chain grab? (not just chasing their roll...)

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
So I was messing around in training mode today, and I discovered that you could make your opponent stand up by jabbing them, so I combined it with the down throw and the result is a gimmicky chain grab. Here's how to do it:

1. Grab
2. Down throw
3. Turn around if needed to hit them with a jab
4. Jab
5. Crouch (optional but preferred)
5.5. Let go of the joy stick
6. Grab

Now, this seems to work on those without experience against it because when I tried it against my friend, he usually tried to shield after the jab, allowing me to grab again. Also, he sometimes DI'd to the other side, but I could still get him simply by turning around and then jabbing. The reason he got the opportunity to shield was because we were playing on wifi and I could do it faster had there been no lag, or at least I think that's right.

I call it gimmicky because there are a number of ways to escape it:
1. Tech
2. DI to where GaW he can't hit you with his jab
3. Double jump after the jab(?)
4. Smash DI the hit

Additional comments: Most people will try to DI towards the stage if the both of you are close the ledge as to not get killed by one of GaW's deadly smashes, should they miss the tech, so I would always just turn around anyway in hopes of hitting them with a jab. And speaking of GaW's jab, I noticed that when timed just right during the opponent's bounce, it would hit behind him, allowing you to turn around and still be able to grab them. And one last thing is that crouching enables you to grab faster after the jab if you are using Z, but if you press Z while holding down you will do a down tilt. I guess you could just shield and then hit A and you wuoldn't really have any problems. I need to test this more still.

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
Actually I've barely tested it on real people, hopefully others' insight will tell me if this is of any importance.

Aero

Smash Journeyman
my general rule of thumb -- if you get jabbed, jab back!

people always want to cut their jab combos short and go for something a bit slower like a grab or smash in the hopes that the opponent won't be reacting to the jab quickly enough, but simply jabbing back generally cuts short any jab combos that aren't just jab jab jab...

WFL

Smash Journeyman
my general rule of thumb -- if you get jabbed, jab back!

people always want to cut their jab combos short and go for something a bit slower like a grab or smash in the hopes that the opponent won't be reacting to the jab quickly enough, but simply jabbing back generally cuts short any jab combos that aren't just jab jab jab...
That doesn't work here. Once you get jabbed you automatically go into the get up animation where you can't do anything. This gives G&W enough time to get another grab off.

This isn't always going to work because they can tech out of it, but if you can get it off once and then predict where they're going to tech it gives you two or three throws with a mix of chain grabbing and tech chasing.

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
If teching is the only easy way to escape, then I wouldn't be to worried as I'm sure many people don't even know that the throw can even be tech'd. And even if they did, teching is a lot harder this time around so it'll take some good timing.

Needle of Juntah

Smash Champion
yeah i been doin this for a while
its weird tho cause they dont always land in range to get hit unles u turn.

but its good for a quick surprise dmg and mindgames :)

Top Bottom