• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chain grab escaped via Up-B?

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
I've read a couple threads that mention this (one mentioned that Pit has been found to be able to do this) and I was wondering if this can work against a chain grab that is properly being done, or only against a flub, as well as who can do it viably.

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
I'm amazed...a serious tactical topic gets ignored, while "What's your favorite taunt after a kill" gets tons of replies.

This place is starting to look more like gamefaqs every day.

JONESxKING

Smash Rookie
I heard fast Up+B's can cancel a chaingrab, such as Marth's Dolphin Slash. I'm having a hard time imagining Pit's Up+B working tho, it is no where near fast in terms of gaining height in his few frames of freedom.

GoForkUrself

Smash Apprentice
I agree, I don't see Pit's working. Marth seems reasonable simply because he slides farther back than most characters when thrown down. Most of them should be catchable before they can get their upB going. I don't know any Falco mains, but my last tourney I saw a lot of falco mains chain grabbing into spikes. I am wondering if the SAF on UpB can get out of the chaingrab, and also if it can cancel out the knockback of a falco down spike. If so, I might strangely use D3 as my Falco counter in my local tourney in spite of the lack of D3's chaingrab vs falco(my tourney scene allows two characters).

Blaazer07

Smash Rookie
Pit's Up B stops the chaingrab, (i know, i discovered it) But it doesn't avoid the grab like marth's does, it just cancels it and pushes Dedede back a bit. Pit's Up-B can also stop projectiles and even attacks.

If you dont believe me, set one controller to b-stick (to make it easier to UP-b) and then try to grab or hit pit with dedede (even while standing) and then Up-B with pit at the exact moment it would grab him.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
it works with marth if the DDD isn't doing it fast enough, but if the DDD expects Marth to do that, or if the Marth up Bs DDD when DDD is at low %, then Marth gets punished (Marth can even get F smashed if DDD expects the up B and expects where Marth lands, otherwise you can charge up/down smash or do dash attack). I've already done down throw -> F smash to Cactuar cuz I expected him to up B out like a month ago, it's pretty funny.

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
So if the DDD is executing the chain correctly, only a few Up-Bs will work then?

I have a friend that plays DDD almost exclusively, and I play trainer, Lucario and snake primarily; Up-B's might help with Squirtle, but I'm not sure if Charizard's is fast enough to activate.

Banned via Administration
So if the DDD is executing the chain correctly, only a few Up-Bs will work then?

I have a friend that plays DDD almost exclusively, and I play trainer, Lucario and snake primarily; Up-B's might help with Squirtle, but I'm not sure if Charizard's is fast enough to activate.
no upb's will work if you do the cg properly. upb's will only work if you cannot cg the character.

Browny

Smash Hater
sonics up-b works, and very well at that since he cant be punished after using it. i thought i was in trouble at a recent mini-tourney when i was vs dedede on bridge of eldin (lol) but i escaped it every single time.

.D0c.

Smash Cadet
Will the up B work with Snake? Can snake always pull out a grenade in time to cancel the chain grab?

.D0c.

Smash Cadet
Snake isn't going to be pulling out any grenades if you hold up when you push B.
Lol, I realize you cant Up B and pull out a grenade at the same time. I was trying to figure out which one will work. Will using up B work to escape the chain grab, or will pulling out a grenade work to escape the chain grab.

Doval

Smash Lord
Pit's Up-B has invincibility at the beginning, that's why it may be able to get him out of chaingrabs.

User33

Smash Journeyman
You're probably better off not escaping, as doing an Up-B will get you punished badly.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
i heard ppl could spot dodge the cg
I personally do not believe it, but everyday ppl are proving just how ridiculously low the stun time is after attacks so I'm starting to have my doubts
somebody plz confirm that my suspiscions aren't true

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
You can only really spot dodge it if they don't do it frame-perfectly.

Gets my friend once in a while.

Against a wall though, you're boned :(

Top Bottom