• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chain Grab Escape Help

YoshiBomb

Smash Apprentice
I hate getting chain grabbed so I decided to make a thread where we can discuss how to escape some chain grabs from the rest of the cast that have them.

First up

Falco's | just hit A

Thinking of another one

PRiDE

Smash Lord
side step the landing. will only work if the yoshi player wasnt fast enough with his dash grab..

Depster

Smash Champion
you escape falco's by Nairing and you escape Dedede's by jabbing with good timing. ICs are impossible to get out of by anyone if the IC user is skilled enough. Am I missing any other chain grabs?

D

Deleted member

You cant get out of D3's when done right. Fact. But yea, nair outta falcos, and jab cuz if they mess up or go for dash attack, they get jabbed. ICs are just gay, just keep jumping and hope they mess up.

Fingerp@ss

Smash Cadet
You cant get out of D3's when done right. Fact. But yea, nair outta falcos, and jab cuz if they mess up or go for dash attack, they get jabbed. ICs are just gay, just keep jumping and hope they mess up.
Oh yeah, the BOOT (nair) works best or DJing out sometimes works. But the key is the boot.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Most chaingrabs can be escaped from via neutral air like most are saying.

Then again, most chaingrabs are actually grabs that have a small window wherein they can link together and aren't actual chaingrabs (à la Marth v. Fox in Melee). For example, Pikachu has a chain on Yoshi which gets consecutive grabs, but isn't inescapable, which is what a chaingrab normally refers to.

Another example is Meta Knight's down throw when DI'd "incorrectly" (in this situation, at least), players often airdodge out of expected follow-up and get regrabbed.

King Dedede can flawlessly chaingrab if he buffers his dash. If not, you can jab out of it.

Falco's chaingrab goes up to exactly 38% before you can naturally get out; I don't know how early neutral air works in all honesty, so others who have provided their input should know.

Ike, Pikachu, and a few others like Wario have what is probably more accurately called consecutive grabs, meaning with a little horizontal positioning you should be able to escape the next one, as the window to regrab successfully isn't very large.

SOVAman

Smash Hero
To escape falco's you just don't get grabbed below 40%. And if you do get grabbed if the falco doesn't mess up then you won't be able to get out until you have 40%.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: LOL fighting Falco is so good.

If you're Snake, just C4 yourself until you're at 50% and then Falco loses, LOL!

If you're not Snake (and the real question then becomes, "Why aren't you Snake?"), then just run away until they laser you to 50% and you're good, LOL.

Whether you take those lines seriously or not, something else I wanted to say is that Falco doesn't have autograb opportunities that he used to in Melee, so use that to your advantage and try to learn when the Falcos you fight feel comfortable going for grabs. Especially watch out for shield-pressuring jabs and other predictable tactics. Against bad enough players, spamming spotdodge until they chip damage you to 50% is all you need.

Depster

Smash Champion
Nair gets out of Falco's after the first grab. Yoshi's Nair is fast and outranges Falco's grab

Gindler

Smash Champion
Yeah I usually just press A. This will either cause a Nair or a jab. Sounds nooby when I say I just press A but hey it works everytime (well nearly)

Top Bottom