• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(CD) Cape Dashing *New AT* Updated

Famous

Smash Champion
I don't know if this has been found out already or not...But while I was playing I noticed that I did a reverse Super Cape (or Reverse ACE)

If done on a stage with no floor such as Halberd you can glide halfway across the floor...You can also do a move right out of the dash/glide

You can also do this through platforms...

I'll post a video soon.

How it's done
While running near a ledge do a cape right before you run off the ledge(like your doing a regular Super Cape) But instead of holding the direction your going in, quickly press and hold the direction towards the stage.

If done correctly you should see a significant slide across the stage

(Note) This doesn't work on all stages
Still Testing

Working Stages (So Far)
Halberd
Frigid Orphen(Platforms)
Shine Gate
Norfair
Battllefield(platforms)
Smashville(platforms)
Hanenbow (works everywhere)
Pokemon Stadium (platforms)
Pokemon Stadium 2 (platforms)
Brinstar
Yoshi's(Platform)
Jungle Japes(platorm =/)

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
*blink* Not sure what you're explaining... you mean you just did cape glide on the stage?

Famous

Smash Champion
It's a reverse Super Cape...Instead off gliding off stage you reverse the momentum of the SC towards the stage to do a Cape Dash(Yea, I'm calling it Cape Dash now)...

I'll post a video so don't worry...

Matt07

Smash Master
Woah, what O.o. Omg, this sounds so sweet! Wants to go home to test it right now, but I'm in school. Haha, I hope you figure it out soon!!

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
so...you're essentially wavebouncing an already awesome cape technique so that you go onto the stage instead of off of it? nice. I'll be at Kadaj's tonight, so you should go and test it out so I can seeeez it!!! =D

Also...you and Boss have begun the brainwashing...making the Bros. look oh so sexy...I already started using Luigi some, Mario's next ^_^

Matt07

Smash Master
I did, it, the distance is awesome is sweet, I love you Famous for finding this (not in that way though.)

Ok to test it just go onto Battlefield, use the Cape glide off one of the platforms then when you use the Cape, hit the joystick the opposite way, and you will glide in that direction.

Ugh, I can't draw on here, it erases my spaces.

Kidlat

Smash Apprentice
OK I'm confused. Say I'm on Battlefield an I'm on top the left platform. I run off the platform. At the instance I must use Side B to do a regular cape glide, do I reverse the control stick direction to the left? Or do I reverse the stick another time?

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
How to Cape Dash

Step One: Go to training mode and choose Battlefield
Step Two: On the platform that you start on, run immediately to one side
Step Three: Use the cape so that you would have ACE'd but IMMEDIATELY turn the control stick in the direction opposite of that you were just running in

Simple, no? It's pretty simple after practicing it a few times.

Matt07

Smash Master
Haha, I still have a bit of trouble getting the timing right either I, do a little cape glide, or I reverse Fireball, or do the actual Cape Dash.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I reverse fireball a lot when I was trying too.

For the record, this will have **** mindgames on Falco and Fox if they try to use there Side special across the platforms on Battlefield.

Matt07

Smash Master
Ooh definately, now watch, most will recovery right below the platform on Battlefield, instead on the mid sections of the platforms :(. They always seem to do that now, they recovery from up high. They know the Cape too well :(.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Obviously. That's why you either ACE across the platform or try to jump then intercept them with the cape before they use the recovery.

Kidlat

Smash Apprentice
Sorry, I'm just not getting this. So in the end, if I am running towards the right. Do I initially use the cape to the right AND THEN reverse direction, or from the get go, immediately Cape towards the left?

Bah, whatever. I will wait for the vid.

Matt07

Smash Master
You use the Cape to the right, then hit the joystick left immediately. Remember dash off the edge of the platform.
SkylerOcon

Step One: Go to training mode and choose Battlefield
Step Two: On the platform that you start on, run immediately to one side
Step Three: Use the cape so that you would have ACE'd but IMMEDIATELY turn the control stick in the direction opposite of that you were just running in
As me and SkylerOcon said, if you did a reverse Fireball, or a regular Cape,dash your on the right track of doing it. Keep practicing, the timing is kind hard.

Matt07

Smash Master
Haha, imagine Cape gliding on the ground, Mario would be insanely fast.

I will try fooling around with the Cape/FLUUD tomorrow. Usually I try tinkering with that kind of stuff, (I want a Auto-charged FLUUD :laugh:) But yea...testing get's hard especially when you aren't seeing no discoveries being made :(.

strike42

Smash Journeyman
on battlefield are i supposed to hit the ground and slide or am i supposed to slide on the platform, b/c i've been sliding on the platform.

J-Prep

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Jiggy_lsn
i think the whole point is u get to point a to point b while cape gliding... lol

but i've done this on accident with a regular cape glide attepmt. i didnt have to reverse it or anything. which makes no sense to me anyways, why would u have to reverse the joystick if u wann go foward, and ur running foward. shouldnt all the momentum just push u foward? only difference is its on stage, and we're gonna give it a whole different name? not to shoot down anyone's ideas, because i can see some mind game influence being used, but i think its simply put as a cape glide..onstage

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
i think the whole point is u get to point a to point b while cape gliding... lol

but i've done this on accident with a regular cape glide attepmt. i didnt have to reverse it or anything. which makes no sense to me anyways, why would u have to reverse the joystick if u wann go foward, and ur running foward. shouldnt all the momentum just push u foward? only difference is its on stage, and we're gonna give it a whole different name? not to shoot down anyone's ideas, because i can see some mind game influence being used, but i think its simply put as a cape glide..onstage
If this worked on FD it could be an interesting approach method to say the least. Sounds like a cool AT, but limited. If you could figure out how to do this more freely, then it would very useful. I still think this AT has some uses despite its limitations, mainly how fast it could allow Mario to approach and atk from near a platform or ledge.

Edit: lol, 666 post count

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I also think that this attack is useful for one other reason: It's a flying momentum reverser. If you don't want your opponent near you for some reason (ex: Charging the FLUDD), just CD when they're trying to approach and they'll be knocked away for a while.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
are you talking about bsticking the cape towards the edge right after you've gone off? I've done this before on battlefield, but it didn't get me much distance at all, maybe like two body lengths(of mario standing up)

I'll post a vid of it soon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkcFfip8I20
That's not it but it's close; you need to buffer the cape direction input from forward to backwards. Basically you do what you would do to do a normal cape glide but immediately buffer the input to cape the other direction. This AT works nicely on pass-through platforms but it's a lot harder to do on solid platforms; you can do it on solid platforms like BF and FD too but it's a lot harder to do and I can't get the timing down.

Famous

Smash Champion
It's just the timing you have to get use too...I've started to implement it in my gameplay. You'll see it when you play me next week Boss...

As for the vids...I'm trying to get one recorded between now and Sunday. I wish I had a recorder of my own =/.

Famous

Smash Champion
so...you're essentially wavebouncing an already awesome cape technique so that you go onto the stage instead of off of it? nice. I'll be at Kadaj's tonight, so you should go and test it out so I can seeeez it!!! =D

Also...you and Boss have begun the brainwashing...making the Bros. look oh so sexy...I already started using Luigi some, Mario's next ^_^
Lol, our tactics are working...We need to increase to dosage so more people will be affected

jk, didn't know you posted in this topic until today. Thanks for letting me record it on your laptop too...

capeman

Smash Rookie
dude nice work man
thats so frickn cool
i did it once but it was lucky
i gotta pratice some moar
make that video and hurry

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Nice gonna test this out. Yo Famous, i can make the video myself if you want. Im gonna make another mario guide video soon. Im gonna add the new FIHL as well.

Hardgainer08

Smash Apprentice
I noticed this to too once. It only happened once and my eyes couldn't believe it. I tried to do it again but couldn't replicate it. I'm going to try your method.

I though I was crazy and just seeing things, now I know I'm not the only one.

Thanks for this.

Top Bottom