• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CCSC Power Rankings - MOVED

Nihility

Smash Journeyman
rofl guys by trained and thought a bit more I mean if I were to play with the BC community actively for a longer time, because Patooty is **** good don't get me wrong, much better then me. I'm just saying that with practice I would have an easier time against him. and Manli, last time you played me I was without doubt having the worst smash day of my smashing career rofl. (Johns) But man I want to play all the people in BC whether they're on it or not (and Hitsugaya I'm just repeatig what Robyextreme said, I may have been wrong all together but it doesn't matter either way.)

and yes, I still play Falco. Come over today if you guys want, so long as you give me a ring beforehand.

Also, Robyextreme NEVER said that I could be 9/10th on the panel, he said that people (panelist or not) mainly agree that he should be 11th on the PR if there was a ranking below 10, and eventually be 9th or 10th. Sorry for the confusion, point is BC smashers are hella fun. COME OVER!

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Last Attempt - A civic approach...

Okay, how about a democratic power rankings system? How about everyone who is interested in the results submits their own power ranking list?

This is another totally off-the-wall Randall idea that hasn't been tried in communities elsewhere as far as I know. If you think it's a good idea, then I will happily process the results and post them. Otherwise, I give up and someone else can listen to the bitching do this.

It goes like this:

Every smasher within the CCSC roster has a right to vote.

You may not vote for a player that you have never played against. You may choose to omit any player from your own list and it will not be counted against them. (i.e. you are not obligated to vote on all players you have played, especially if you were unable to determine their own skill level relative to yours.)

You may submit a list of players of any size, up to a maximum of 30.

Voting criteria is simply putting together a list of the top smashers in the CCSC. The definition of "top" is completely up to you because nobody will ever agree anyway.

The weight of your vote will be determined by the number of other smashers you have played and thus voted on. Therefore, smashers who submit a complete list of 30 players must have played at least 30 in a competitive setting and can fairly be considered the individuals who understand the level of competition in the CCSC above all others.

This voting system follows a principle of proportional representation, wherein the weight of each individual's submission is considered in an unbiased, mathematical way and factored into the final list as a percentage of the whole. As this process is rather convoluted at the mathematical level, here's an example for clarification:

Suppose there are only four smashers who vote: (fake names from an alternate CCSC universe used) FalseMrGameandWatch, adventurexislandxpryde, SuBpArBaNg and FastBowser.

For the sake of argument, FalseG&W and FastBowser are both seasoned tournament-goers (i.e. Edmontonians) and have played a wide variety of players all across Alberta.

Also for the sake of argument, SuBpArBaNg is from Winnipeg, Manitoba and has never played Alberta smashers. However, he did get to play against adventurexislandxpryde once (who lives in Saskatchewan [for the sake of argument, once again]).

adventurexislandxpryde travels to Alberta for tournaments during the summer typically and plays with friends in Saskatoon. For the sake of argument.

So they all vote by submitting a list of no more than 30 smashers. Each smasher on the list should include the hometown of the smasher and the tournament at which YOU last played them at.

FastBowser's list might look like this:
  1. Grady - Red Deer, AB - CAST9
  2. Yannick - Edmonton, AB - Local
  3. RedX - Edmonton, AB - Local
  4. FastBowser - Edmonton, AB - Local
  5. FalseG&W - Edmonton, AB - Local
  6. PC Mack - Edmonton, AB - Local
  7. Marko - Calgary, AB - CAST9
  8. SIZZZ - St. Albert, AB - At Melee's End
  9. PP7 - Edmonton, AB - Local
  10. Boogly Basket - Leduc, AB - CAST9
  11. >9000 - Calgary, AB - CAST8
  12. adventurexislandxpryde - Saskatoon, SK - At Melee's End
  13. ringztor - Edmonton, AB - Local
  14. Walken - St. Albert, AB - CAST8
  15. MOTHMAN - Banff, AB - KT3
  16. Jorge - Edmonton, AB - Local
  17. ArrowHead - Red Deer, AB - CAST9
  18. BU - Lake Athabasca, AB - CAST6
  19. LimeLao - Edmonton, AB - Local
  20. JigPowHuh? - Calgary, AB - KT3
  21. RGS - Red Deer, AB - CAST9
  22. City Boy - Hannah, AB - CAST6
  23. T-Rubble - Bowden, AB - CAST9
  24. CCM - Edmonton, AB - Local
  25. X H8er - St. Albert, AB - At Melee's End
  26. nullandvoid - Calgary, AB - CAST8
  27. hi_horse288 - Strathmore, AB - KT3
  28. INTERCEPTOR - Calgary, AB - CAST9
  29. glob - Edmonton, AB - Local
  30. Messy Martian - Red Deer, AB - KT3
Okay, so it's a full palette of 30 smashers. Because it's a full list, the weight of FastBowser's vote is as heavy as any one person's vote can be. The list is full because he's played at least 30 smashers around the CCSC and probably a whole lot more. Based on these tournament experiences and performances, he has drawn up a list of what he considers to be the top 30 smashers on the roster.

By default, rank 30 receives 1 point, rank 29 receives 2 points and it rolls up to rank 1 receiving 30 points.

To account for proportional representation, each of these values is then multiplied by the total number of CCSC smashers appearing in the submitted list (in this case, 30). Now, rank 30 has received 30 points from FastBowser's vote, 60 points for rank 29 and all the way up to 900 points for rank 1.

With me so far? Good, let's move on to FalseG&W's submission:
  1. Grady - Red Deer, AB - CAST9
  2. RedX - Edmonton, AB - Local
  3. Yannick - Edmonton, AB - Local
  4. FastBowser - Edmonton, AB - Local
  5. FalseG&W - Edmonton, AB - Local
  6. PC Mack - Edmonton, AB - Local
  7. Marko - Calgary, AB - CAST9
  8. SIZZZ - St. Albert, AB - At Melee's End
  9. PP7 - Edmonton, AB - Local
  10. Boogly Basket - Leduc, AB - CAST9
  11. >9000 - Calgary, AB - CAST8
  12. MOTHMAN - Banff, AB - KT3
  13. adventurexislandxpryde - Saskatoon, SK - At Melee's End
  14. ringztor - Edmonton, AB - Local
  15. City Boy - Hannah, AB - CAST5
  16. Walken - St. Albert, AB - CAST8
  17. Jorge - Edmonton, AB - Local
  18. ArrowHead - Red Deer, AB - CAST9
  19. BU - Lake Athabasca, AB - CAST6
  20. LimeLao - Edmonton, AB - Local
  21. JigPowHuh? - Calgary, AB - KT3
  22. RGS - Red Deer, AB - CAST9
  23. T-Rubble - Bowden, AB - CAST9
  24. SuBpArBaNg - Winnipeg, MB - UMan Monthlies
  25. CCM - Edmonton, AB - Local
  26. X H8er - St. Albert, AB - At Melee's End
  27. nullandvoid - Calgary, AB - CAST8
  28. hi_horse288 - Strathmore, AB - KT3
  29. FrenchFry - Edmonton, AB - Local
  30. Cappin' Wings - Grand Prairie, AB - CAST8
The list is obviously not much different than FastBowser's, with the exception of the Manitoba player and some shuffling amongst upper ranks and new players in the lower ones. The same points distribution system applies and each of those values is multiplied by 30 once again.

I'm not going to draw out the specific breakdown, but as an example (within an example), City Boy was 22nd on the first list (earning him 270 points) and 15th on the second list (earning him 480 points). He now has a total of 750.

Ranking the players by their total number of points is how the previous power rankings were determined, however the voting was only open to panelists because of the undoubtedly absurd submissions that would've come from averaging the votes of every single player, many of whom had never even played a lot of the top players in the region.

This is where the proportional side kicks in, as we take a look at adventurexislandxpryde's list:
  1. RedX - Edmonton, AB - KT3
  2. Grady - Red Deer, AB - KT3
  3. Yannick - Edmonton, AB - KT3
  4. Marko - Calgary, AB - CAST9
  5. FastBowser - Edmonton, AB - KT3
  6. PC Mack - Edmonton, AB - KT3
  7. FalseG&W - Edmonton, AB - KT3
  8. kewlhat - Saskatoon, SK - Local
  9. JigPowHuh? - Calgary, AB - KT3
  10. adventurexislandxpryde - Saskatoon, SK - Local
  11. hi_horse288 - Strathmore, AB - KT3
  12. FFking - Saskatoon, SK - Local
  13. ArrowHead - Red Deer, AB - CAST9
This list is smaller because our Manitoba buddy here is only voting on players that he has played enough of to pass judgment on. He may have played other Alberta smashers at the Alberta tournaments, but perhaps not enough to fairly put them on a list of his own and so they have been omitted. For lists smaller than 30 smashers, the lowest ranked player received 1 point towards their total.

Now ArrowHead has been voted in three times in three different ranks, 16th, 17th and 13th. However, because of the size of this list, his 13th place finish only earns him 13 points and the previous two larger voting brackets earned him 420 and 390 respectively, for a total of 813.

You can probably see where this is going, but just to continue to stir the pot, here's the list from SuPeRbAnG, who (if you recall) lives in Winnipeg and has never played Alberta smashers:
  1. adventurexislandxpryde - Saskatoon, SK - UMan Monthlies
  2. SuPeRbAnG - Winnipeg, MB - Local
  3. Harey - Winnipeg, MB - Local
  4. bricks N wine - Winnipeg, MB - Local
  5. KOIS - Winnipeg, MB - Local
  6. Aurora - Winnipeg, MB - Local
  7. mr. freez - Winnipeg, MB - Local
So, rank 7 gets 1 point and rank 1 gets 7 points again. Each of those point values is multiplied by 7 and added to the players' total.

The final list is determined by tallying all of the points and ranking them from 1 to 25. Obviously. It's straight math, no criteria to ***** about, no excuse not to vote, no frills, no gimmicks, blah blah blah.

For the record, when it comes to coming up with an accurate list, I do not personally believe that this is the solution but I also recognize that a foolproof system is a pipe dream and nothing more.

The main conflict that some people will be having with this list is the fact that in order to "earn more votes" you have to play with other regional smashers. So whereas mr. freez from Winnipeg might be able to beat a lot of top-ranked Alberta players, he can't prove it if he doesn't have the means to travel and although he might be a better player, nobody can vote for a player that they don't know exists.

That said, I think that's actually a good implementation to the power rankings. It encourages inter-circuit competition and offers an incredibly robust engine for when online Brawl comes into play.

Besides mr. freez, if you're going to run around your city and beat everyone but not travel to an out-of-state event, what kind of CCSC smasher are you anyway? And why should you even have a place on the CCSC rankings?

WAAHHH!! but my mommy won't let me travel!!!

Deal with it. No johns. If you wanna be ranked, you gotta play the players and WiFi may curb this problem completely in the future and allow for wider regional representation on the power rankings.

DISCLAIMER

I make no claim that this is a good system. I've never tried it before and there's no way of knowing what kind of results it will produce unless we try it at least once.

Take it or leave it.

MARIOWNAGE

Smash Lord
****, is this becuase I pointed out a few things [that are clearly legitimate reasons] to be changed? Whatever if it's really gonna be this way I might as well submit one so there isn't a fit over nothing.
  1. Mike, Edmonton, Whenever, he's the best anyways
  2. Carl, Edmonton, Local
  3. Shawn, Edmonton, CAST3
  4. Steve, Edmonton, CT3
  5. Joel, Edmonton, CAST3
  6. Tyson, Edmonton, CAST3
  7. Sid, Edmonton, Local
  8. Dan, Fort Saskatchewan, CT3
  9. Stu, Edmonton, CAST3
  10. Gary, Calgary, Local
  11. Levi, Calgary, Never
  12. John, Calgary, Local
  13. Jeremy, Calgary, Local
  14. Allan, Calgary, CT3
  15. Parker, St. Albert, CT3
  16. Henry, Edmonton, CAST3
  17. Wilson, St. Albert, CT3
  18. Mitchell, Calgary, Local
  19. Brad, Calgary, Local
  20. Chad, Calgary, Local
  21. Paul, Calgary, Local
  22. Randall, Calgary, Local
  23. Stv, St. Albert, CT3
  24. Alex, Calgary, Local
  25. Victra, Red Deer, CAST2
  26. Riley, Calgary, Local
  27. Kevin, Calgary, Local
  28. Sho, Calgary, Local
  29. Sean, Red Deer, CAST3
  30. Luke, Edmonton, CAST3

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
****, is this becuase I pointed out a few things [that are clearly legitimate reasons] to be changed? Whatever if it's really gonna be this way I might as well submit one so there isn't a fit over nothing.
No I don't do things because you say so, but thanks for the always-endearing tone that you've been developing lately. You can have my job any time you want.

More importantly, I would suggest PM'ing your submissions in my direction if this idea has communal support, rather than posting them here. Voting should be anonymous; only results are published. Smasher egos are too easily bruised for submissions to be posted without some sort of conflict or bias coming into play. In the same respect, people are more inclined to post their real opinions on the matter when they know that not everyone in the community can read them.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
seeing u higher than kithkin is already a gross miscalculation, to be bluntly honest.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
You've never played me, Tyson. And for some reason, you seem to hate me and try really hard to work against everything I do.

I'm a better player than Brad and this is the only time I will ever publicly announce that I am better than any other player. The difference in skill level is extremely potent and even he would not deny that. Although, I'm sure everyone could convince him that he's better by pointing to the tournament results pages, but it's simply not true. Not yet, anyway; I hope he embraces Brawl for all its worth because I'd much rather be defeated by him instead of Sheik.

Any more bluntly honest remarks to attempt to push me into early retirement? Come ooooon...it'll only take like two or three.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
ive only said two posts that was against u. and those two posts are the same thing basically lol.

and i dont see how that means im trying hard. lmao hahahaa

and yes, i am only judging by tourney results and by what a lot of people say.

besides, im sure levi's opinion about that is much better than mine, and according to his list, he agrees.

and u cant really john about sheik, cause if u really care about that, then play a high tier char?

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Well, we all have different ideas as to what makes a good player, but in terms of Sheik, we just have a fundamentally different approach to the game.

See, I've got high tier characters that are probably good enough to handle a nub Sheik like Kithkin, but to a true Luigi main, it's a far bigger copout to have to switch characters when you are dedicated to Luigi's tournament success.

So, whereas you may say that you can't john about Sheik because you can play a high tier character, the real Luigi players say "no johns" when I press the B button on character select after losing round one. :) To me, it is better to finish 5th with Luigi than to play Luigi all the way up to the finals and then win the finals playing Marth because Luigi couldn't DEAL with it.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Guys Guys Guys

Enough is enough.

I figured i'd be that last person to say this but, for the love of Isai, stop it!​

Levi, it's true, you've been acting like a total ***** lately, not to me personally but to Randall. Randall's done more for this community then any of us have ever done. This option for everyone to have an input for the list is the best thing we can ask for. Levi, you've yet to agree with a suitable way to make the power rankings, first you were a panelist, that didn't work, then you weren't a panelist, it obviously it still didn't work for you, and then now you have the option of submitting lists and you're still not happy. Why is that Levi? Is it because there are people there who shouldn't be as high or as low as they are? Cause if it is, i agree with you and i'm pretty sure everyone else will too, but you should just be grateful for how high you are on the list and deal with it and you should remember that it's darn near impossible for Randall to make the perfect power ranking. Lastly, I appreciate you putting me on your list however, and I have nothing against you (besides my body). Gangsta's fo' lyfe.

Randall. I like your idea. A lot of the names on your "civic approach" made me laugh out loud. Especially LimeLau. I also agree with you with your idea of PMing lists to your account. Unlike Levi, you have my 100% trust, and i know that you wouldn't cheat or sabotage the lists at all, and I'm sure a lot of the people in CCSC will agree with me, but Randall, I have to agree with everyone, you're really too high on the rankings. No offense to you or you're character, and I hope this doesn't come between our friendship or anything (>.<), but I honestly believe, no matter how lame, Brad's Sheik is a lot harder to play against, high tier or not. Brad's always done relatively well in tournaments, and i know the power rankings aren't judged by that but it should be a factor. Don't get me wrong though Randall. You should be up there.

Now, moving on to the whole "high tier" ordeal. Randall, if you don't like losing to high tier characters then you either main a high tier character and have Luigi as a secondary or vice versa. If your determined to not have a high tier character at your disposal, then continue working with Luigi and get better then you already are. Just cause you use a low-tier character doesn't mean you can john about losing to high tier characters. Look at Stuey Louey and Sidney for example. I mean, they use Bowser and Pikachu, who are even lower on the tier list then the weege.

Also. Tomorrow, maybe we all can have one crazy conversation and have a near-impossible discussion about the power rankings, one rank at a time.

Last but not least, max32090, sorry how everyone totally ignored your post but now isn't a good time. Yes, or "best" player is a Captain Falcon player Ironically, the runner up uses Captain Falco as well.

Nihility

Smash Journeyman
I agree with Levi and Tyson, but I didn't want to say anything because people would just flame and spaz and all this over a video game. But Calgary is ridiculously over represented for some players while St. Albert and Red Deer gets the shaft. All it needs is an update based on real stuff. There is no cowardry in how Brad plays, if the Weege can't get the job done, hire a moar experienced employee. Like Fox. Saying that you lost with Luigi because of Luigi pride and refuse to switch characters is a john in and of itself. It's just a more disguised way of saying that you just can't beat the person in my eyes. But I still respect you Randall.

FalseFalco

Smash Master
woah a cf player at #1. canada is so different
Actually, It's my opinion that he plays a better Marth. But yeah, In Canada Falcon counters Fox. Just ask Jumpfreak :laugh:

Also holly sheeeeeyit Randall is getting epic. I was loling at the fake list even before you got face to face with Brad. You have quite a different philosophy than most people about competetive smash, and even though I don't agree with a luigi-to-the-grave approach I can definately see where you're coming from. I used to be like that with Marth until I lost like 3 tournaments in a row due to my Marth being garbs.

I like your idea Randall, and I'll submit a list of my own eventually and we'll see how that list turns out.

You and Brad should have a deathmatch for the spot so that we can finally no johns the whole thing until the next revision.

firexemblemxpryde

Smash Lord
Out-of-state input time. I've spent my time reading your "garbs", so I hope you spend yours reading mine.

First off - character counters and tiers. If one wishes to be on this 25 person PR, it is assumed that you play the game at least semi competitively. In this game, it is true that some characters fare better against others due to metagame and character physics. Yes, Sheik is going to chainthrow pikachu to at least 70%. There's nothing really that Pikachu can do about it. If that's the case, and you are playing the game competitively, and you cannot overcome the chainthrowing Sheik with Pikachu, what are you going to do? Keep on losing? That's a fine option, but if you want to be ranked well, losing isn't going to help you.

Character johns are absolutely invalid in a competitive environment. If xXx-NoobRuler-xXx comes in 7th with Ganondorf, and flamexemblemxpryde comes in 2nd with Fox and Marth, does that mean Noobruler has done just as well as flamexemblem in the tournament? Has he performed better than him? Naturally not. Are you being countered by someone's character? Well then, I'm glad that in a tournament you don't play against only that character. If you play Pichu as a main, you might want to consider a 2ndary character, in case you want to uh, win more matches (you are playing competitively after all).

Secondly - Tournament placingS hold more value when determining skill level than tournament placing_ . At CT3, I believe Kithkin placed higher than me. I suppose that means he's better than me.

This is where the johns come into play: "omg stupid stu and yoshi's story marth dittos wtf". The worst thing? I picked fox 2nd round and 3stocked him, but I still decided to go back to Marth. Big mistake. So, I still made a mistake, but it's kinda excusable, no? HOWEVER. Say I go to CT4, CT5, C56, and I keep placing poorly, and Kithkin KEEPS placing higher than me. WTF? Maybe, just MAYBE, he's better than me.

I don't think Randall to be biased. Also, last I heard of the latest PR update, it was the closest list ALL THE PANELISTS could come to.

Get off his back. He's intelligent and has integrity. Support first before you judge. That is all.

kithkin

Smash Champion
I'm a better player than Brad and this is the only time I will ever publicly announce that I am better than any other player. The difference in skill level is extremely potent and even he would not deny that. Although, I'm sure everyone could convince him that he's better by pointing to the tournament results pages, but it's simply not true. Not yet, anyway; I hope he embraces Brawl for all its worth because I'd much rather be defeated by him instead of Sheik.
First of all, I agree tha you certainly are better than me in general skill, but I'm on the other side only because I consistantly do better than you.

But hey, I honestly dont pay too much attention, I play for fun.

You and Brad should have a deathmatch for the spot so that we can finally no johns the whole thing until the next revision.
I'm up for that, I'll even not be sheik for... two of the matches. ( a set?)

But I dont know if it should really determine anything.

I JUST LOST THE GAME
Lol, I know.

P.S: Guys I'm actually getting better all around, I can play other characters a little bit now.

kithkin

Smash Champion

First off - character counters and tiers. If one wishes to be on this 25 person PR, it is assumed that you play the game at least semi competitively. In this game, it is true that some characters fare better against others due to metagame and character physics. Yes, Sheik is going to chainthrow pikachu to at least 70%. There's nothing really that Pikachu can do about it. If that's the case, and you are playing the game competitively, and you cannot overcome the chainthrowing Sheik with Pikachu, what are you going to do? Keep on losing? That's a fine option, but if you want to be ranked well, losing isn't going to help you.

Character johns are absolutely invalid in a competitive environment. If xXx-NoobRuler-xXx comes in 7th with Ganondorf, and flamexemblemxpryde comes in 2nd with Fox and Marth, does that mean Noobruler has done just as well as flamexemblem in the tournament? Has he performed better than him? Naturally not. Are you being countered by someone's character? Well then, I'm glad that in a tournament you don't play against only that character. If you play Pichu as a main, you might want to consider a 2ndary character, in case you want to uh, win more matches (you are playing competitively after all).

Secondly - Tournament placingS hold more value when determining skill level than tournament placing_ . At CT3, I believe Kithkin placed higher than me. I suppose that means he's better than me.

This is where the johns come into play: "omg stupid stu and yoshi's story marth dittos wtf". The worst thing? I picked fox 2nd round and 3stocked him, but I still decided to go back to Marth. Big mistake. So, I still made a mistake, but it's kinda excusable, no? HOWEVER. Say I go to CT4, CT5, C56, and I keep placing poorly, and Kithkin KEEPS placing higher than me. WTF? Maybe, just MAYBE, he's better than me.

I don't think Randall to be biased. Also, last I heard of the latest PR update, it was the closest list ALL THE PANELISTS could come to.

Double post, get over it. I didnt want my other one to not be spam.

1- I lose to sid most of the time :( but, yeah you cant really say anything about the person because they got 7th and lost to a sheik, you also have to look at how well they do against everyone else?

I mean, me and stu had very close sets, epicly close, yes I would ***** about marth on yoshis story, but I also have to remember, Sheik (at least was, might not be now) his worst match up.

2- I have consistant good tournament placings, and have managed to beat some greats, But yeah, once again even I know, I'm not actually that great (I shouldve put that in past tense, cause I've gotten better) so I dont know.

Nihility

Smash Journeyman
How about we all just stop discussing about character choices and rankings and play the game for fun until At Melee's End comes around? Because that's when all that bull**** matters :)

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Tieretically speaking...

If xXx-NoobRuler-xXx comes in 7th with Ganondorf, and flamexemblemxpryde comes in 2nd with Fox and Marth, does that mean Noobruler has done just as well as flamexemblem in the tournament? Has he performed better than him?

Of course not. The rift exists in what defines the "top 25" players and everyone will have a different view on that. Ranking five places above a Ganondorf player with Fox can go either way; sure, Fox is probably better, but there's a grey area and you do have to consider how the rest of the tournament went and the specific performance of those players.

It seems rational and realistic to me that placing five spots above someone is not the clear-cut defining fact that says "I'm better than you." All it means is, "I just beat you.," but I recognize now that not everyone shares this point of view and that's fine.

I agree with Levi and Tyson, but I didn't want to say anything because people would just flame and spaz and all this over a video game. But Calgary is ridiculously over represented for some players while St. Albert and Red Deer gets the shaft.
I certainly agree to some extent, but I don't really see how Calgary is ridiculously over-represented with 7 players while St. Albert has 3 on the list, but either way, all previous drafts of the power rankings are pretty much invalid now anyway.

Unlike Levi, you have my 100% trust, and i know that you wouldn't cheat or sabotage the lists at all, and I'm sure a lot of the people in CCSC will agree with me, but Randall, I have to agree with everyone, you're really too high on the rankings.
I'm not responsible for the current list or how I placed upon it and though I appreciate your support, I don't know why you would single out me of all the placements. :cool:

Just cause you use a low-tier character doesn't mean you can john about losing to high tier characters. Look at Stuey Louey and Sidney for example. I mean, they use Bowser and Pikachu, who are even lower on the tier list then the weege.
I agree and I admire that Sid has been able to overcome the deficiencies with Pikachu's character build to confidently compete against anyone else on the SSBM roster. He has a stellar level of competition up in Edmonton full of skilled high-tier players and over time, he has opted to find ways to beat them. He's done precisely what I aspire to...although I think Luigi has more style. :)

There is no cowardry in how Brad plays, if the Weege can't get the job done, hire a moar experienced employee. Like Fox. Saying that you lost with Luigi because of Luigi pride and refuse to switch characters is a john in and of itself. It's just a more disguised way of saying that you just can't beat the person in my eyes. But I still respect you Randall.
Okay okay and at this point, there's waaaaay too much emphasis on ME. Yeesh. :psycho:

Look, I don't care how I appear on the power rankings. That's a misconception I'd like to clear up right now. I'm a Luigi player trying to represent for Luigis around the world and just as I'd rather place well with Luigi than win with Fox, I'd much rather be the 7th best competitive Luigi main in the global community than 7th best player in Central Canada.

Why? Because at out-of-state tournaments, nobody gives a crap about playing some random Marth from some city that nobody is going to remember when the match is over. People remember Luigi and when I find other Luigi players, they've usually heard of me and (much to my surprise) say "hey, I've seen videos of you!" Then they take a greater interest in where I'm from and it continues to fuel a positive social environment. Nobody remembers when they get KO'd by a Marth f-smash, but you get a helluva lot more "wtf"s and "ohmygod"s sending someone off the top with a jab->up+B (and occasionally a jovial shoutout mentioning how broken it is ;)). To me, people who claim to be Luigi players and auto-switch to some high tiers when the matchup is too difficult are the biggest "johners" of them all and have no business running around claiming how awesome they are with Luigi in tournaments just because they know how to abuse space animals that don't know the matchup.

As to Brad, well you know what...I really don't know how I fare against Brad these days. To be honest, we actually haven't played that many matches since his skill level came into question. Maybe a couple sets at the bi-weeklies that I certainly lost, but in terms of straight one-on-one games against that Sheik...I've probably played less than 10 in the last six months!

Which brings me to the subject of "johns" and comments like, "just because you main a low tier character doesn't mean you can john about it."

This is something I was trying to explain to Levi yesterday: anyone who watches a match or plays a match and doesn't lose is looking for johns SO HARD that you can find them anywhere even if they don't exist. When Fox overcomes Luigi with his speed and jump-cancelled shines on Yoshi's Story for a swift and guaranteed low-damage kill, yeah I might say, "Sometimes, Luigi is just easy to kill, what can I say..."

What I don't understand is how that qualifies as a "character john." That's not a john, that's a fact and the reason that I got KO'd is because I (that is ME, the player, myself, R.J.M.) failed to account for how easily he can be shined off the edge in that position and failed to take precautions to prevent it from happening.

Of course, because I don't specify that, all you hear is johns. "Controller johns" are may be the most common of them all and because they are so pervasive, people seem to have a zero-tolerance policy about it. Then there's this huge double standard because I've never found a competitive player who doesn't feel the difference between using a controller that you're not used to. So the excuse sounds valid to me, BUT what makes it a "john" is when you publicly announce that the reason you lost is because of the controller which (even though it may be true, or at least have been a factor) is totally unsportsmanlike. The match is done, it's over, you lost and you don't get a rematch. Deal with it.

So listen, I don't john about my character. When I lose, it's my fault and sometimes it's because I'm just not playing at the top of my game that particular day. AGAIN, that sounds like a john, but read it again: I'm not playing at the top of my game. It is I, ME, my game, that is responsible for the loss, nothing else. No johns.

Now, moving on to the whole "high tier" ordeal. Randall, if you don't like losing to high tier characters then you either main a high tier character and have Luigi as a secondary or vice versa. If your determined to not have a high tier character at your disposal, then continue working with Luigi and get better then you already are.
Again, I have high tier characters at my disposal, but that's exactly what happens to them in tournaments: I dispose of them.

I have no problem losing to high-tier characters. In fact, most of the Luigi vs. High Tier matchups are a lot closer in my mind than a lot of people give them credit for strictly because I have chosen to take him into tournament and play a wide variety of smashers who play high tiers in distinctly different ways. It's a challenging and fascinating learning curve most of the time.

That said, the character balance issues that are frustrating are the ones where there is a wide gap in the level of skill required to beat Luigi versus the level of skill required to beat the opposing character as Luigi.

For example, I like Marth matchups because I can sometimes win them and I know how to win them. Of course, as Pichu pointed out, "You don't have to be good to know how to be good." Sure, I know what you have to do to beat Marth as Luigi but that doesn't mean I'm going to be able to implement it 100% of the time. It's easy for a Marth to spam double f-airs on a stage with platforms and pretty much eliminate Luigi's entire approach; a Marth who knows how to play against Luigi is even better at closing those doors. It's a tough matchup and I clearly have the disadvantage going in, but I know how to overcome it. Only through practicing and playing against Marths more frequently will I be able to develop those skills and strategies more consistently.

On the other hand, I dislike Samus matchups because I don't know how to deal with it and haven't had nearly enough practice to investigate a good strategy. Between bombs, missile spamming, charge shots and the insane recovery, not only is Luigi stripped of his typical approaches...he's also taking damage at the same time and has nowhere to go.

Now, this is assuming I'm playing against a decent Samus who knows about how overwhelming that sort of approach can be for a character whose only projectile pretty much disintegrates at arm's length. A skilled Samus. But I've lost entire stocks to a Samus who just sits and presses down+B because I can't come up with an approach that will get through multiple little bombs and explosions. It is incredibly irritating to have to focus so strongly on how you can use the stage you're on and what kind of angles and spacing are required to get in there while the Samus player just sits there bouncing around in ball form. If he chooses to play like such a coward to win a matchup where he already has a significant advantage, it strikes me as a crime against Nintendo to call him a better player than I. I mean come on, turtling against Luigi?? Are you gonna play the game or not?

It's about the level of effort; the skill you put to use in order to defeat your opponent. I know some characters are stronger than others and that most characters can kill Luigi a lot easier than he can kill them. That's fine, but I'd rather be 4-stocked by Shwn's Samus in two minutes than lose 4-3 to some random that takes ten minutes because he sits and bombs for the whole match. That way at least I learn something and it becomes a contest of skill instead of what may as well be a singe player carnival contest called "See how many times you can d-air the bouncing bounty hunter."

This is probably starting to sound a lot like johns again since you're not in my shoes, so I guess I should mention how I feel about Luigi's potential. I know he has the tools to win in tough matchups like Marth and Samus because I've seen it done against ranked Samus players and I've personally played against ranked Marth players (I lost, but the tools to win were still evidently available).

Recently, I've become more comfortable with the Peach matchup and I finally know how to win it, though when it comes to the skill level required to beat Peach as Luigi compared to beating Luigi as Peach, that is still the largest imbalance for my character. She doesn't have to space anything due to the aerial priority and massive hitboxes--even the gayest of all Luigi's moves, the neutral air, is outdone by Peach's and it took a long time just to swallow the challenge before finally figuring out how to do it.

Recognize that I'm talking about the characters now and not the players; which means I'm not making johns, I'm talking about the game and the inherent challenges a Luigi player faces in that match. Learning how to beat Peach took a long time and it took a lot of matches against Peach to figure it out. Just like with the Marth strategies, they must be practiced and built-in to your natural game in order to be effective.

When it comes to Sheik, I don't know how to win. Neither of the Pro Impact Players have ever played Sheik competitively and in fact, I can't remember seeing either of their names over Sheik's character ever since we first played the game. My brother plays Sheik, but he is not competitive and neither of us even owned a Gamecube while I was still living at home--and that was five years ago. There's a huge shortage of good documentation about Luigi vs. Sheik strategies from reputable players and there's an equally huge shortage of videos to demonstrate what it takes to win. The biggest problem I've had isn't really related to how to beat a skilled Sheik, though--it's about how to beat a gay one and I simply don't have the experience.

I can count five Sheiks that I have ever played against as Luigi:

My brother is one, and he is relatively easy to beat just because of my inherent ability to play the game. I've played him more than any other Sheik, though still not that much and all I've learned from facing him is what works against a Sheik with bad DI and to shield grab dash attacks because that was his primary approach.

Preston is two and I think we had one set, maybe two and I don't even remember the results. He was a far better Sheik than my brother and played a technical game that I had no exposure to on the opposing side.

Levi is three and again, we probably haven't played more than a couple matches so I don't remember how they went and I certainly didn't retain any good Sheik strategies from them.

Vwins is four. In Toronto, I played against Vwins' Sheik in pools and lost 4-2. As we all know, Vwins plays like a robot and again, it was a style of play that is totally foreign to my Luigi yet I found it easier to adapt to because it was a test of skill. He played an excellent mental game that was based on the actions of his opponent rather than the inherent strength of his character against mine.

Brad is five and he plays like my brother, except he knows how to throw more attacks of a lesser variety, is a little better at DI and teching, and waaaay better at the basic game (i.e. projectile accuracy/timing, struggling to get out of grabs, etc.). And he hardly ever seems to edgehog at all. It's weird.

All in all, I'm pretty sure that in six years of gameplay, I have almost definitely played fewer than 100 1v1 matches against any Sheik and that is why I don't know how to win it. It takes time, you know? Practice.

Every two weeks, I run a tournament where all these smashers come over to my house, usually start with a few friendlies while I set up registration stuff and wait for the rest to show. They spend anywhere from 5-7 hours there and whenever they're not involved in a tournament match, they're playing against one another on auxiliary televisions. I play my tournament sets, run the brackets, record the videos and towards the end, I usually get to play teams for fun while we wait for everyone's ride to show up.

The fact is, I don't get to play this game that much and that's my biggest sacrifice in doing the community work. :( I typically spend about 3-4 hours a day doing something smash-related, but actual competitive gameplay? Well, bi-weeklies are a write-off. Me and Mitch play maybe twice a week for a few hours and that's the most valuable time I can use to improve my game because there is no distraction, no responsibilities hovering over my head and no pressure associated with a tournament atmosphere. Though, Mitch doesn't play Marth or Sheik or Samus or Peach. (That's why it took me eight months to learn how to beat Peach, ten months to learn how to beat Marth and the other two are still sitting on the back burner, yet I've known what it takes to beat Falcos and Ice Climbers since before the bi-weeklies even got fully underway.) Sometimes I'll travel down south to play with Levi and company, but that typically turns into teams really fast. Or the particularly thrilling all-Luigi taunt-only free-for-all battles with items.

And it's fine if you guys want to do that--the game is ultimately about fun after all--but it's a skill game to me now, a sport. I did all the goofy matches in my first three years of playing, but when it becomes a sport, sports require training and it's not worth my while to piss around with black hole glitches and taunt-only matches.

I don't want to have some deathmatch against Brad to fight it out for a spot on the power rankings, I just want practice! Forget trying to work the anti-Sheik strategies into my Luigi game, I don't even know what those strategies are yet! Eep! It takes investigation, experimentation and a probably a whole lot of losing just like it did against Peach and Marth.

Mitchell has said before that from a technical point of view, there's nothing wrong with my Weege and although I know that's not 100% true, the list of things that I can't do competently in practice is pretty darn small. The tools are all at my disposal but once you have the tools, you still have to learn how to use them for each individual job.

I'm not about to try and blame losing a match on my lack of experience against that character, but I feel like I reserve the right to acknowledge why I don't perform as well as I should in general. The matches that I lose are lost because I wasn't good enough to win them, yes.

But, that's my john: The reason that I'm not good enough is because I don't get to play. My fault? I don't think so.

But do I deserve special treatment on the power rankings because of that?

FalseFalco

Smash Master
Ok I'm a third of the ways through that doozie and here's my first quote:

Randall00 said:
I agree and I admire that Sid has been able to overcome the deficiencies with Pikachu's character build to confidently compete against anyone else on the SSBM roster. He has a stellar level of competition up in Edmonton full of skilled high-tier players and over time, he has opted to find ways to beat them. He's done precisely what I aspire to...although I think Luigi has more style.
For clarification, when I first started playing competitively, Sid had already been playing semi-compitively and the matches I had between him during my practice with the Edmonton roster (very small at the time) were very one sided to his favour.

In competitive Smash, everything revolves around matchups. Having only one character at your disposal is a disadvantage, since every character with the exception of Fox, Shiek, Marth, Falco have bad matchups. Even for people like myself who almost exclusively play the tip of the top tiers, being a one trick pony is a competitive disadvantage. The chance of becoming predictable or encountering a terrible matchup only magnify as you go down the tier list. This should encourage low tier enthusiasts to pick up someone else to cover their bad matchups. It's stubborn not to.

This is my philosophy and although I'm not trying to accuse anyone of being stubborn, it is my experience that those who like to stick to one character don't mind losing.

Nihility

Smash Journeyman
Long post. Point is, inactivity is a no john situation either. I never play Smash but the tech never seems to go away, if anything I get better. But then again I don't play the Weege, I can't handle his floaty bundle of goodness.

MARIOWNAGE

Smash Lord
PS, Randall do you want me to play more shiek, peach, samus, marth / whatever? just ask. I don't play shiek a lot in friendlies cus it's my secret weapon >_>

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
This should encourage low tier enthusiasts to pick up someone else to cover their bad matchups. It's stubborn not to.
Such is the difference in our philosophies, because your objective is to cover your losses and win as many matches as possible whereas my objective is to win as many matches as possible with Luigi. Stubborn to you, yes, but it's perseverance to me.

Likewise, counterpicking a different character is smart gameplay to you, but it's just a cop-out to me. :)

I believe the community is a little too hung up on the tier list to begin with. Yes it's real, yes the imbalances are legitimate, but it gets a little crazy. For example (speaking of cop-outs), I don't understand why I seem to be playing against Fox/Falco mains who automatically pick Marth when they see that I've chosen Luigi. This isn't common locally, but at out-of-state events it seems to happen all the time and sometimes they even have to sit and think about it first.....dude! You already have the strongest character in the game and you're gonna pussy out and pick Marth just because it's harder on me? Are you SO SCARED of Luigi that you need a bigger sword to compensate??? :urg:

That's fine and all, but it sure as hell doesn't help me figure out how well I do against pro space animals. Then I usually get Marth'd to death and lose, but at least I haven't dishonoured myself. Total. Lack. Of balls. :laugh:

MARIOWNAGE said:
PS, Randall do you want me to play more shiek, peach, samus, marth / whatever? just ask. I don't play shiek a lot in friendlies cus it's my secret weapon >_>
Well yeah, of course I do. But I just don't get to play you that often at all. :) And nobody wants to sit and play Luigi vs. Marth fifty times in a row. . . . except me. :)

FalseFalco

Smash Master
I believe the community is a little too hung up on the tier list to begin with. Yes it's real, yes the imbalances are legitimate, but it gets a little crazy. For example (speaking of cop-outs), I don't understand why I seem to be playing against Fox/Falco mains who automatically pick Marth when they see that I've chosen Luigi. This isn't common locally, but at out-of-state events it seems to happen all the time and sometimes they even have to sit and think about it first.....dude! You already have the strongest character in the game and you're gonna pussy out and pick Marth just because it's harder on me? Are you SO SCARED of Luigi that you need a bigger sword to compensate??? :urg:
Personally, I play Marth against Luigi because its an overall better matchup than Fox, and much better matchup against Falco. I know this is the case for many other players as well.

Randall00 said:
That's fine and all, but it sure as hell doesn't help me figure out how well I do against pro space animals. Then I usually get Marth'd to death and lose, but at least I haven't dishonoured myself. Total. Lack. Of balls. :laugh:
You can't go saying playing for the matchups is pussing out if you complain when people don't give you the one you want :p

Patooty

Smash Ace

I mean come on, turtling against Luigi?? Are you gonna play the game or not?
This frustrates me the most.
Not turtling against Luigi, but your view on turtling against luigi.

I already feel bad enough fighting a low tier character. But then the vibe I always get is, "ok you're fighting a low tier character, so you have to just rush in and attack. oh.. you're not coming to attack me? You have to camp THIS character?? jeez >.>".

Take GimpyFish the BOWSER (read: worse-than-luigi) player. He's a REALLY good Bowser, and if I were to just rush in and try to hit him all the time, I would almost definately lose most the time. (****ed fortress :laugh:) It's just not how my character should be fighting him. A smarter option is to pressure him to come to me. That's a TOOL at my disposal because I play a higher tierd character. I have the tools to make lower tiers come to me. Anyways, I already feel bad enough when I do it. I prefer not to play that way, but I'd prefer MORE not to lose. I'll use whatever tools my character has, just as you'd use whatever tools your character has. I definately don't play that way when I'm just playing for fun. Like you said, it's like a sport now(competitive play). And sometimes forcing your opponent to come to you vs you going to them is as clear as choosing between whether you want to win or lose. Besides, if I held back any, wouldn't you consider me to be sandbagging?

FACT: Low tier characters can get really good. Like, REALLY good. REGARDLESS of how their opponent plays. There is a limit, but I don't think we're(as in the bc and ab communities) quite there yet.

FACT: In WA, Luigi is number 1 on the PR. He's above one of the best marths I've played, and above the person who is probably the most technical Fox in the world.

Until you can say you're the best Luigi player in the world, you just can't believe that you've pushed his limits yet. There are most likely ways to overcome difficulties you're dealing with. (bomb camping for example?) I'm pretty sure if I bomb camped Ka's luigi, I'd get ***** upside the head :laugh: Instead of complaining about how your opponent is playing, focus more on how you're NOT playing that is causing you to lose/do poorly.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
I'm pretty sure if I bomb camped Ka's luigi, I'd get ***** upside the head :laugh: Instead of complaining about how your opponent is playing, focus more on how you're NOT playing that is causing you to lose/do poorly.
Well of course, it's my deficiency and my lack of knowledge dealing with those situations that prevents me from not being able to deal with it. The point is that it's frustrating and again, it's just a matter of employing two different philosophies towards the competitive game: you prefer not to play that way but prefer MORE not to lose. Whereas I wouldn't even consider that "winning" and would feel dirty going into round two knowing that I haven't legitimately defeated the last player at an actual skill game (which is probably why he came; nobody goes to tournaments with the intention of spending entire sets screwing around like that). :)

Patooty

Smash Ace
Whoa! I wouldn't have even considered that the definition of "win" would come into question. I win when the game tells me I won. I also lose when the game tells me my opponent won. Regardless of how badly I got gayed.

We're not even playing the same game anymore 0.o

Nihility

Smash Journeyman
A win is a win. The game does not register a "Randall" win, it registers a win. It doesn't give a **** what type of character gets gayed by what type of character, because a win is a win. There is no such set ground as "actual skill" If you got gayed, you got gayed. The last time I remember someone use the word "actual skill" is some noob who couldn't wavedash at CAST. There is no such thing. and Levi and I had an items match on Hyrule Temple for our tournament match at CT3, AND we were both Pichu. So you're assumption that people don't screw around for sets is wrong when it comes to Levi and I ;) Just stop making excuses and start winning =] Bring the Weege pride

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
I'm not making any ****ing excuses, Jesus Christ!

It's like you didn't even read what I was trying to say. I obviously can't explain this to anyone, so forget about it, mkay?

Nihility

Smash Journeyman
I read it, but once again all the drama has managed to make me stop caring completely about smashboards like it always does =] I'm just gonna go have my awesome item matches with Levi and record some BC matches.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
You listed Subparbang and then you listed it as Superbang.

Did you recieve any list PMs yet Randall? Just curious.

Top Bottom