• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Caution - High Voltage - Pichu for Smash Switch

PF9

Smash Lord
I had another Final Smash idea. Pichu would call on the Pichu Posse to assist him in the match for a bit.

PF9

Smash Lord
I also say that those who don't support his return are in the wrong because it is like saying the Cleveland Browns shouldn't be in the NFL or the Buffalo Sabres shouldn't be in the NHL because they're so bad.

Pichu is a underdog and every underdog has their day. I'm thinking Pichu should come back because it can represent the second generation of Pokemon as every existing generation could have at least one rep in the new game as a celebration of the 20th anniversary of Pokemon arriving in the West (which was a big year for the franchise).

D

Deleted member

Pichu has the cutest taunts to date, so yes I support it coming back. :)

PF9

Smash Lord
I'm going to debunk some myths about Pichu

1. Pichu's popularity is only because it was "so bad that it was good"

In reality a number of factors went into his popularity. One major factor was the fact that he was so cute (which is why characters like Kirby and Pikachu are well-liked). Another was the fact that the Pichu Bros. were popular side characters in the Pokemon anime. And also Pichu evolves into the series mascot.

2. Pichu was only put in Melee strictly as a "joke character"

Also not true. Pichu was a legitimate attempt to represent the second generation of Pokemon. Sure, Sakurai could have used any of the 99 other Pokemon introduced in Gold and Silver to represent those games, but he didn't. You know why? Because he wanted a Pikachu relative to serve as a clone for him, killing two birds with one stone. Pichu was also most likely the most popular of all G2 Pokemon at the time.

PF9

Smash Lord
Another thing cute about Pichu in Smash is his crouching animation. When he crouches, he falls asleep. No one can deny the cuteness of a sleeping baby.

Almand

Smash Journeyman
Oddly enough, I've actually created a possible moveset for Pichu; just kind of a hobby of mine. Quite a bit based on her Brawl Minus moveset (toned down, of course), just to Luigify her a bit.

Won't be posting it here unless you guys want, and needs plenty of balancing as is, but I see her as a very high risk, very high reward character, with absurd frame data/speed and pretty good power (like her Melee Smashes), but with the obvious weakness of dying to Ganon's F-Smash at less than 50%. Even so, I'd love to see her return, however low-tier or joke-y!

Update: Finished that silly moveset! I tried to make her fast, efficient, and combo-oriented, but precise. You can't miss too many moves, or you'll get destroyed by tons of recoil damage. Hope you guys enjoy!

Last edited:

PF9

Smash Lord
How about the more damage he takes the stronger he gets just like a certain Pokemon with aura?

Also if we get a story mode, and Birdo gets in, here's what I'd like to see:

Yoshi and Birdo encounter a sleeping Pichu in a field (while a lullaby version of "Battle Theme" from Melee is playing). Yoshi, knowing that he is good with babies, picks up the sleeping baby mouse and puts him on his saddle, leading up to the next stage. This moment is Yoshi and Birdo vetting themselves as good parents.

(In my headcanons, Yoshi and Pichu were good friends during the Melee era due to Yoshi having been good with babies since the days of Yoshi's Island, which this scene is basically a homage to).

ZagarTulip

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I actually really want Pichu to come back even if it is considered as representing an old gen or is considered a "Joke" character, I still want it reguardless

So you've got my Support!

PF9

Smash Lord
I think its status as a G2 Pokemon is the real reason Pichu hasn't returned. The Johto saga of the anime was very unpopular, and since Pichu was a Johto Pokemon, that means guilt by association. However, the most notable Pichu specimen in the anime, the Pichu Bros., didn't even appear in any main series episodes.

I also heard Wolf might be back, and if he is back but Pichu, who has been waiting longer for his second Smash appearance, is not, that would be a travesty.

Pichu's main advantage over Pikachu is the fact that as its baby form it is far more adorable.

In the transition from Melee to Brawl, the cool characters (Doc, Mewtwo, Roy) that were cut were planned to be in the game (and ultimately returned in SSB4), while it was the cute characters - Pichu and Young Link - who were cut deliberately (the latter was replaced with Toon Link). It wouldn't be until Snake and Wolf in the transition from Brawl to 4 that a cool character was cut deliberately.

However, I think the Ballot might actually help Pichu this time around as it has influenced other new or returning characters in Smash Switch. I'm sure there were a lot of people who voted for Pichu.

For the record, a real joke character in Smash would be perhaps a common enemy from one of the represented series (not counting Bandana Waddle Dee), for example Goomba.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I'm skeptical of Pichu of all Pokemon making it back.

HOWEVER, if he does, I would really hope he has the option of having the ukelele from Pokemon rangers.

Last edited:

Almand

Smash Journeyman
We did it, Reddit. He's not an Echo Fighter, either, there's got to be something new about him.

PF9

Smash Lord
I plan on getting a Pichu amiibo as soon as it comes out. My name for it will be Sneezer.

Guess what that references.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
It actually happened. One of the things I really wanted but didn't think possible actually happened.

Welcome back, little buddy. Welcome back.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Glad to see Pichu back!

You know, that got me thinking: does Pichu have less recoil this time around then he did in Melee?

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
Pichu has always been a guilty pleasure od mine, but I never thought I would see the day they would bring him back...but I love this fact.

D

Deleted member

I'm curious to see if they can somehow pull it off to make Pichu viable. I love the fact he/she is back, but I don't want it to be to waste. Maybe like, extra rage or something? That would be awesome.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Who in the HFIL W-A-N-T-E-D this garbage tier Prevolution to come back?!
A fair few of us, given that a speedy Pikachu that can't get away with just throwing out moves is actually a pretty fun and unique character to play as. And, as it turns out, a pretty cute one, too.
The only issue is how poorly he was balanced in Melee so hopefully that improves this time around. WITHOUT tacky gimmicks like rage/aura.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
A fair few of us, given that a speedy Pikachu that can't get away with just throwing out moves is actually a pretty fun and unique character to play as. And, as it turns out, a pretty cute one, too.
The only issue is how poorly he was balanced in Melee so hopefully that improves this time around. WITHOUT tacky gimmicks like rage/aura.
But the ONLY Perk he had in Melee was that he could Wall-jump wheras Melee Pikachu couldn't; but ever since Brawl, Pikachu COULD wall-jump; and is still an all-around Better Character to play as in Smash.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
But the ONLY Perk he had in Melee was that he could Wall-jump wheras Melee Pikachu couldn't; but ever since Brawl, Pikachu COULD wall-jump; and is still an all-around Better Character to play as in Smash.
Pichu is also smaller and less hittable but, even assuming he were just an objectively worse Pikachu, being objectively worse in specific ways can still result in a different playstyle and that style is a lot of fun. I don't get why you're so against the idea of bringing that style back with buffs in other areas to make up for Pichu's weaknesses.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
His character trailer on the site has him doing a low kick for what looks like his down tilt, instead of the spin he used to have and Pikachu has. And it looks like it has an electric effect and stuns.

At least I think that's new? I'm not a Pichu/Pikachu expert, just play them sometimes.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
Man, I'm still reeling. It's so surreal, I got my most wanted in the form of Ridley and then out of nowhere I get my Melee main back against all odds. It's the exact opposite of my experience with Smash 4.

The point of Smash is supposed to be all of the different characters available. It doesn't really matter how good they are or not unless you plan to play it seriously, and even then you usually care more about playstyle than the character itself. Most of us play Pichu because we like Pichu, not because Pichu is high tier or has a groundbreaking moveset. That's why we're excited to have Pichu back.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
I know I got Pikachu listed as my Melee main but...

Well I played Pikachu, Pichu, and Bowser pretty equally. I was grinning like a loon seeing Pichu come back. He/she was one of my "low key" character wants and I'm glad to see Pichu return.

Welcome back, little buddy.

Last edited:

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
We did it, Reddit. He's not an Echo Fighter, either, there's got to be something new about him.
Probably just some different A moves, or it could be that since Pichu was never said to be a reskin like Marth/Lucina and Pit/Dark Pit (Who correct me if I'm wrong, kept the same weight/basic moves?) while Pichu certainly has more differences there.

Would be cool to see him as some kind of glass-cannon character.

Xhampi

Smash Lord
I can't believe they brought him back, I had given up hope a long time ago, I can't wait to use my old main again.

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
Alright, Pichu! Let's show everyone you weren't just a joke character. I'm so glad he's gotten another chance.

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
I was more excited about Pichu being playable again than Ridley being playable. Can't wait to use him again!

PlasmWraith

Smash Apprentice
Congrats, guys, I played a lot of Pichu in Melee and he's gonna be on my list of prospective mains.
Just remember, you're gonna be the cannon fodder for a lot of complaining children, along with the Bayo guys (except for the opposite reason of being broken), so good luck.

D

Deleted member

I can't believe they brought him back, I had given up hope a long time ago, I can't wait to use my old main again.
Congrats! I know the feeling of losing hope and the loss of not having your main (Mewtwo, Ivysaur). For Pichu and some other characters in particular, I surmised that they'd never return UNLESS Sakurai explicitly was attempting to bring EVERYONE back, and that's exactly what he did! Definitely the most exciting thing for me!

Toady

Smash Cadet
NNID
DrToadigerr
3DS FC
3480-2729-9032
Switch FC
SW-4465-1459-3015
I’M SO HAPPY.

I wanted him more than I wanted some newcomers.

I also stuffed the ballot with his name.

P1ZZ4CHU

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7373-2961-4511
Congrats! I know the feeling of losing hope and the loss of not having your main (Mewtwo, Ivysaur). For Pichu and some other characters in particular, I surmised that they'd never return UNLESS Sakurai explicitly was attempting to bring EVERYONE back, and that's exactly what he did! Definitely the most exciting thing for me!
I really like that they made bringing everyone back a priority. This feels like the first time in a long while that a Smash game has something for everyone. There wasn't a single game past Melee where it felt like my friends didn't have to make some concession moving to the next game.

Almand

Smash Journeyman
Probably just some different A moves, or it could be that since Pichu was never said to be a reskin like Marth/Lucina and Pit/Dark Pit (Who correct me if I'm wrong, kept the same weight/basic moves?) while Pichu certainly has more differences there.

Would be cool to see him as some kind of glass-cannon character.
That's what I'm expecting. His down/forward tilt seems to be different (a little leg sweep that uses electricity), but other than that, not many moves were shown off. Pikachu's Nair is different, so maybe Pichu keeps the old one? And I'd like if he was and incredibly powerful and quick glass cannon, but his combo tools and kill moves cause damage (along with him being lighter than Jiggs). So you have to be precise, or you'll be at kill percent in thirty seconds.

Last edited:

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
Congrats, guys, I played a lot of Pichu in Melee and he's gonna be on my list of prospective mains.
Just remember, you're gonna be the cannon fodder for a lot of complaining children, along with the Bayo guys (except for the opposite reason of being broken), so good luck.
I Agree; I honestly despise BOTH of them; Pichu for being too Weak, and Bayonetta for Being too Super-OP(and Other Personal Reasons) TBH, I Really DO feel that way about both characters

Top Bottom