• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Caution - High Voltage - Pichu for Smash Switch

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
You're right, Im wondering about that too. If at least it had that it would be useful sometimes.

One thing that's really good with it is that you can go deep off stage with pichu, cuz it goes soo far.
So, may be at least good to help gimp :)
Still, considering Pichu is a tiny, lightweight non-fast faller, even a non-invincible Agility could get it out of a lot of scrapes with comparatively little damage. It's certainly a lot faster than in Melee, at any rate.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Still, considering Pichu is a tiny, lightweight non-fast faller, even a non-invincible Agility could get it out of a lot of scrapes with comparatively little damage. It's certainly a lot faster than in Melee, at any rate.
Yeh we'll see. i really want more footage, i want to see pichu played without the screen being tilted too. He's one of the characters i wanna see the most right now. I saw most of the others i wanna play :)
He may not be a fast-faller, but he lands pretty quick.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
I found some footage of fsmash and usmash
Apparently usmash comes out frame 8-10 and has FAF of 39 frames, dude this is literally a stronger mario upsmash considering it did 15%
Also in 2v2 fsmash did 19%, this one is definitely gonna have no trouble killing. Especially with that up smash
Marios is frame 9-12 with an FAF of 40, you have 28 frames to punish Mario for whiffing usmash, you have 29 frames to punish Pichu for whiffing usmash.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Top tier Pichu?
Pichu may be viable, at least. It's hard to tell for now, it's got things for for it as well as against it :O

Probably going to be my secondary. I want to see how good it can be with some practice.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Pichu may be viable, at least. It's hard to tell for now, it's got things for for it as well as against it :O

Probably going to be my secondary. I want to see how good it can be with some practice.
It's watered down pikachu there's nothing mid or low tier about that
heck its electric attacks even seem to do more damage than pikachu

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's watered down pikachu there's nothing mid or low tier about that
heck its electric attacks even seem to do more damage than pikachu
They gave him more damage because of all the downfalls. Whether it balances it out remains to be seen.
It has way less range than pikachu, and is lighter. There's self-damage too but i dont think that'll be as much of a problem.

Last edited:

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
They gave him more damage because of all the downfalls. Whether it balances it out remains to be seen.
It has way less range than pikachu, and is lighter. There's self-damage too but i dont think that'll be as much of a problem.
Yes but its even smaller and the range difference isn't actually that much worse, I've seen its up air and fair and they look very much the same as smash 4 pikachu's variants of those moves. The only problem I can see being dtilt since it looks a little worse but that's pretty much it, having worse range than pikachu isn't much of an issue when pikachu has terrible range to begin with and he's bigger than pichu as well, but up tilt, up air, nair, fair, possibly bair, and jab all seem fine. Then there's up smash and fsmash, both of which are exclusive to pichu and these may very well patch up pikachu's main issue in killing. Besides the chu family doesn't really care for out ranging in this game its more or less getting the opponent off stage and thunderspiking them, which both of them can do stupidly well.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Yes but its even smaller and the range difference isn't actually that much worse, I've seen its up air and fair and they look very much the same as smash 4 pikachu's variants of those moves. The only problem I can see being dtilt since it looks a little worse but that's pretty much it, having worse range than pikachu isn't much of an issue when pikachu has terrible range to begin with and he's bigger than pichu as well, but up tilt, up air, nair, fair, possibly bair, and jab all seem fine.
Actually, the range is significantly different, only up-air is a decent range kinda. but the rest (besides bair, i guess) is a lot smaller. Pikachu didnt' have great range, but at least it was enough. I'm concerned about it for pichu, but if it can compensate with the other stuff going for it,. it might be alright, I really need to get my hands on it tho

Last edited:

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Actually, the range is significantly different, only up-air is a decent range. but the rest (besides bair, i guess) is a lot smaller. Pikachu didnt' have great range, but at least it was enough. I'm concerned about it for pichu, but if it can compensate with the other stuff going for it,. it might be alright, I really need to get my hands on it tho
It's fast, has a projectile, a good one at that. Has a beast off stage game, insane recovery options, its combo heavy, small as heck, and its kill power might actually be half competent due to dair, possibly fair, and up smash, and unlike some other characters with similar attributes (ahem META KNIGHT) Pichu's game plan is actually pretty damn varied when it comes to neutral and its attacks in general. All of this imo does more than compensate for the lack of range.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's fast, has a projectile, a good one at that. Has a beast off stage game, insane recovery options, its combo heavy, small as heck, and its kill power might actually be half competent due to dair, possibly fair, and up smash, and unlike some other characters with similar attributes (ahem META KNIGHT) Pichu's game plan is actually pretty damn varied when it comes to neutral and its attacks in general. All of this imo does more than compensate for the lack of range.
It's not much faster than pikachu. The jump speed is faster, but that's talking about vertical speed, and that can include the fast fall speed too. I dont think it compensates for the lack of range, including for combos.. The projectile is good damage, but other than that it didn't seem as useful as pikachu's (maybe at higher percents, hopefully). Tho i was trying to tell if it was quicker in terms of being able to take action after it, and I think maybe it is faster there, but I'm not sure yet. It'll be cool if so.

I really disagree that the things you mentioned make up for the lack of range, especially on certain attacks.. But I do think that it can be good enough to be viable. I do hope that what it has going will end up making it good overall, i really do, but either way I'll be using pichu.

If dair does end up being a good ko move, then it might be onto something already ;)

Last edited:

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Managed to score a win yesterday with our boi, Pichu, at one of the Nintendo Switch Holiday Experience events. He is definitely a lot of fun to play. Can't wait to practice with him more after the game releases.
PichuWin1.jpg
PichuWin2.jpg

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
just felt like popping in to say that since the macy's day thanksgiving parade will most likely reuse the same pikachu balloon they've had for years
it means once again we'll get to see Snowman Pichu

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman
It's difficult to be optimistic on Pichu's viability in tournament. He has competition with Pikachu, a potential top tier, who seems to have no problem in terms of power. All of Pikachu's weaknesses are set to overdrive in Pichu, so he will have issues with same matchups that Pikachu may struggle in. I don't see him being a very popular pick aside from sandbagging. If anything, playing Pichu can be useful for training to level up your Pikachu game. If Lucina is "Marth with training wheels", Pichu can be "Pikachu with training weights".

Teeb147

Smash Legend
It's difficult to be optimistic on Pichu's viability in tournament. He has competition with Pikachu, a potential top tier, who seems to have no problem in terms of power. All of Pikachu's weaknesses are set to overdrive in Pichu, so he will have issues with same matchups that Pikachu may struggle in. I don't see him being a very popular pick aside from sandbagging. If anything, playing Pichu can be useful for training to level up your Pikachu game. If Lucina is "Marth with training wheels", Pichu can be "Pikachu with training weights".
I'm not sure about all of that, because pichu is faster, at least vertically, and has less range but more power. So it'll be a different type of playing.
His fair may have ko power, not fully sure. I think bair might too, but not sure either. His fsmash is more powerful than pikachu's, but a lot less range. His f-tilt has surprising range though, and seems quite good. I'm pretty sure pichu's frame data is better in some cases, so that might be in its favor but I dont know how much it is. (dont know if it makes up for less range)

I think they're different enough that even though pikachu will most likely be better (may be top tier too), they're different enough that each may be useful in their own ways. I think Pichu is at least viable, and will take a bit of a different playstyle to some degree, and get closer in. Thunderjolt seems good for damage too, but you can't only spam it since it does self-damage too).

It's hard to tell exactly yet, but I want to see how far pichu can go. It's going to be in my main team. I wont be solely relying on it tho.
(I may have 4-5 mains)

Last edited:

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
Well um, f-tilt can be a kill move??

(saved at 3:27)
I HAD to test this upon seeing the clip.

I had not even tried her F-tilt, it is amazing. Trips at low %s and can indeed KO at high. 112% percent mario on the ledge. So it's not amazing or anything, but it has good frame data. It also deals 0.9% to yourself so watch out!

Damn, seeing Pichu close-up in training. She truly has the most adorable animations <333 her standing and slow dash ones are amazing!

By the way, her Dair spikes like Pikachu's, so that's a very viable killmove considering her amazing recovery.

EDIT: Ledge grabbing animation is the cutest one confirmed.

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I HAD to test this upon seeing the clip.

I had not even tried her F-tilt, it is amazing. Trips at low %s and can indeed KO at high. 112% percent mario on the ledge. So it's not amazing or anything, but it has good frame data. It also deals 0.9% to yourself so watch out!

Damn, seeing Pichu close-up in training. She truly has the most adorable animations <333 her standing and slow dash ones are amazing!

By the way, her Dair spikes like Pikachu's, so that's a very viable killmove considering her amazing recovery.
Being able to ko under 120% with a quick move like that is actually really great. I dont really get why its knockback would be that high in some cases, but i like it :)

Also, i find pichu looking more and more fun. I feel like it might be the character i play the most at first. And will like as a secondary, if i can pull it off :)

Last edited:

PF9

Smash Lord
Seeing Pichu fight one of the other kids doesn't seem right (if you've read my posts in the Headcanons thread, you'd understand why).

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
Seeing Pichu fight one of the other kids doesn't seem right (if you've read my posts in the Headcanons thread, you'd understand why).
She shouldn't technically be fighting a tall. Baby pokemon are not ready for serious combat! It's why Pikachu is the starter and not Pichu. THere's definitely some moral implications of having this toddler get hit with swords and guns.

The world of pokemon is truly merciless.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
She shouldn't technically be fighting a tall. Baby pokemon are not ready for serious combat! It's why Pikachu is the starter and not Pichu. THere's definitely some moral implications of having this toddler get hit with swords and guns.

The world of pokemon is truly merciless.
This pichu is obviously special, bred and trained to be the best pichu.
And if you really care, then just dont get hit :)

PF9

Smash Lord
I wish Pichu had his Posse (from the Pichu Bros. shorts) as his Final Smash. I mean if Ash-Greninja can get into the game why not another anime-influenced Final Smash?

HotelSoapy!

Smash Apprentice
After playing both I think I prefer using Pichu to Pikachu. Just like his play more. He is good in this game!

Teeb147

Smash Legend
After playing both I think I prefer using Pichu to Pikachu. Just like his play more. He is good in this game!
Same. I think pikachu is great in general (like in the neutral), but pichu is much more interesting including with combos :)

Rayopuff

Smash Apprentice
I'm overjoyed at the fact Pichu is back from Melee, he's also amazing in the game! No longer will he be the worst character! Also, his Ear Flower alternate is top tier in cuteness!

Requiem

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
This doesn't do anything gameplay wize, but I found out a few days ago that pichu has at least two grab poses when grabbing another pichu (how you hold someone). One happens when you're next to a ledge/edge, and the other happens at all other times. Normally you grab another Pichu by their ear, but at a ledge you grab them by their throat lol.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I just noticed that Pichu is the only character who can use Volt Tackle in Smash Ultimate. Pikachu's Final Smash does no recoil damage and therefore is not Volt Tackle.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Either I'm just really good as Pichu or they made the little guy pretty good in this game.

Whenever I'm online he's my best character

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Well pichu just won a major tournament. def an alright character.

nshoes

Smash Cadet
How the hell do I find counterplay for this braindead bullcrap top tier that has no rights being in this game?
LOL. Besides the classic git gud, Pichu has some blaring weaknesses like being the lightest character in the game, terrible range (besides thunderjolt of course) and obvious setups. As a Pichu player, if my opponent figures out my setups it's hard for me to get in. Some popular setups:

- Thunderjolt -> grab
- Nair -> grab
- Catching rolls and unnecessary air dodges with dsmash

I mean honestly, just pay attention to how Pichu is catching you and what they like to go for, and counter/punish accordingly.

Last edited:

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
It really does come down to "pay attention and catch how Pichu's punishing you". Don't force yourself to approach the same way over and over thinking that it'll be different next time.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Help I dont like pichu and I can barely play him yet he’s easily the character with my best mindset towards. Mindset as in I do mindgames and conditioning and such. I don’t do nearly as well with my best character ROB as I do pichu in the mind game category yet I cant play pichu for the life of me. What do I do? Do I just pick up pichu and play him till I can understand him?

nshoes

Smash Cadet
Help I dont like pichu and I can barely play him yet he’s easily the character with my best mindset towards. Mindset as in I do mindgames and conditioning and such. I don’t do nearly as well with my best character ROB as I do pichu in the mind game category yet I cant play pichu for the life of me. What do I do? Do I just pick up pichu and play him till I can understand him?
Sounds like you just need more time with Pichu. Learn the BnB's and grind it out!

Top Bottom