• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cash vs. Tournament

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
What are the differences between money matches and tournament matches? Also why don't money matches count as much as tournament wins?

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
A tournament match is, well, a match in a tournament. Virtually all Smash tournaments are some variation of a double-elimination bracket, where people play assigned games according to the bracket until there is only one person left.

A money match refers to some random game in which the players have agreed to bet money on.

Money matches tend to have less money on the line, and less prestige, than an entire tournament.

Beating one person and winning $10 in a bet is not comparable to winning $1000 in a 128-person tournament. Prestige is a function of money won, number of players beaten, and quality of players beaten. A random money match is likely to be less impressive in all three, though there are rare exceptions and it depends on the frame of comparison.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
I know that but I wanted to know if there may be a difference in play styles

T0MMY

Smash Master
A tournament match is, well, a match in a tournament. Virtually all Smash tournaments are some variation of a double-elimination bracket, where people play assigned games according to the bracket until there is only one person left.

A money match refers to some random game in which the players have agreed to bet money on.

Money matches tend to have less money on the line, and less prestige, than an entire tournament.

Beating one person and winning $10 in a bet is not comparable to winning $1000 in a 128-person tournament. Prestige is a function of money won, number of players beaten, and quality of players beaten. A random money match is likely to be less impressive in all three, though there are rare exceptions and it depends on the frame of comparison.
Good response.
Makes me wonder if a $1,000 money match against someone like Nairo would be more prestigious than winning a $10 first place prize in an 8-man online bracket tournament match. There are probably contributing factors regarding prestige. Not to invalidate your post, but just to add to it.
Although I find it interesting that serious money matches emulating a tournament match tend to have more competitively viable rules. That is to say that the competitors tend to use an agreement-procedure to basic stages (Battlefield/Final Destination) and disregard a lot of controversial rulings the tournament may use (Dave's Stupid Rule, or various game settings and out-of-game rulings), as well as employ optional procedures that is not usually employed in tournament matches (like double-blind). Same goes with Crew Battles (which may or may not be for money and stand outside of tournament matches).
I like to watch these matches when understanding what "competition" is where only the players decide the rules they will abide by without much community politics getting in the way and play it out with a "no johns" attitude.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Absolutely, there have been a few blue moon money matches in the history of our community between top players for very large amounts of money.

Surely winning those counts for more than some random 20-man local out at some middle-of-nowhere college, where the winner gets a gift card to Denny's.

And while I'm sure Zero would happily accept a $2500 money match, those rarely happen for all the reasons you might except.

Scribe

Sing, sing for ourselves alone.
Writing Team
NNID
KipShades
3DS FC
5241-1937-7022
I know that but I wanted to know if there may be a difference in play styles
Not really. The basic unspoken rules of money matches in the fighting game community are:
  1. Use the standard tournament rules. If more than one ruleset is frequently used, both players must agree to which one will be used.
  2. It doesn't actually mean anything if less than $50 is on the line.
  3. Always have a third party handle your and your opponent's money.
  4. Never play a money match online. Always play in person.
ESAM violated these rules a little while back by having the money match online and not having a third party hold his and his opponent's money, and his opponent refused to pay up as a result.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Some power ranking boards also count money matches towards PR season placements. But ultimately, it's the format.

Honorius

Smash Rookie
I money match at my locals all the time. Same rules apply unless otherwise stated. (2 stock 6 mins, legal stages) For instance, if you're better than the other guy but you want him to bet more/have a chance, you can give him a stock advantage and take off the timer. Just recently, I played a match where I gave the other guy 4 stocks to my 2.

Top Bottom