• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Carolina Games Summit 2013

bomberman0

Smash Cadet
2013 Carolina Games Summit Brawl
Industry speakers, live bands, cosplay, D&D, card games and more tournaments all here !!

$10 dollar event entry, tournament free

"this year we will have another room dedicated to Smash brothers Freeplay For the whole event. Half Melee and brawl with a rotation system in place so everyone can get some warm ups in."

You may sign up for both Melee and brawl

Both Tournaments are BYOC (Bring your own controller)

[COLLAPSE="Brawl Rule Set"]
Tournament Structure – Double Elimination
(These rules were constructed by using SmashBoards as a "Guide line" only. Other factors in the rules construction involve available time, resources, and space.)​

Wiimotes and Classic Controller please take out your batteries when not in use; not only will this save battery life, but it prevents accidental interference and delay for tournament matches.

Be mindful of what you bring. If you bring your own controller of any kind you are fully responsible for it. We here at CGS are not responsible for any lost or stolen items so please do not trust people with your stuff.

Hardware macros, turbo, or other hardware assisted mechanisms are strictly forbidden.

Tournament Format

Tournament officially begins at 11:00 a.m please arrive at 10:50
Please be on time to each match you have, failure to arrive with in 1 minute will disqualify you.

No items, No smash ball

Each match will with 6 minutes and 3 lives, double Elimination. Not a set of 2 out of 3.

Once your match is complete, please exit the station and approach the head desk in the room.

Final match will be best 2 of 3 with 8 minutes and 3 lives.

Maps will be randomly selected for the 1st game the loser will pick a map from the counter map list or standard map list. When picking a map, you cannot pick a map you already won a game on during a match.

Gentleman’s Rule

If both players agree on picking a stage not on either list, then it can be played.

Remind 101

Remind 101 is a text based alert system. It allows me to send a mass text to everyone who signs up to the list. To sign up send a text to the number provided and you’ll be added automatically. I’ll be using this system heavily for the benefit of players not in the room or else were in the event.

There is no cost to sign up, and please check with your service provider on your texting limits and rules. If you want to stay up to date when the a batch of matches are about to begin “SIGN UP PLEASE” This is the only way I can keep in touch with you when you leave.

Tied Game Rules​

If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.

If the timer runs out, and both players have the same damage and stock, or die simultaneously there will be a 2 minute 1 stock Sudden death match on Final Destination. (In game sudden deaths are to be ignored)

Other rules​

Meta-Knight is banned

Stalling, the act of avoiding all conflict, to the point of the game becoming unplayable. Example, Sonic’s neutral B attack under a stage, or using chain grabbing infinitely against a wall or any way else (building up damage around 300%) Stalling in any form WILL GET YOU DISQUALIFIED!

Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling.

Wobbling is banned.

King Dedede's standing/moving infinite grab is banned.
A game ending in a "Suicide kill" will go to the player doing the suicide move, in example

"Bowser's flying slam over the stage." This comes into effect when the game goes to a sudden death match, instead of ending the match. Example Using Bowser's flying slam, but the game goes into a sudden death. The sudden death will be ignored and Bowser is made winner.

Standard map list:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island(brawl)

Counter Pick Stages:

Helberd
Delfino Plaza
Corneria
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 1(Melee)
Rainbow Cruise
Castle Siege
[/COLLAPSE]

[COLLAPSE="Melee Rule Set"]

Tournament Structure – Double Elimination

Tournament Format

Tournament officially begins at 3:00p.m please arrive at 2:50pm
Please be on time to each match you have, failure to arrive with in 1 minute will disqualify you.

No items

Each match will with 6 minutes and 3 lives, double Elimination. Not a set of 2 out of 3.

Once your match is complete, please exit the station and approach the head desk in the room.

Final match will be best 2 of 3 with 8 minutes and 3 lives.

Maps will be randomly selected from the standard map list for the 1st game the loser will pick a map from the counter map list or standard map list. When picking a map, you cannot pick a map you already won a game on during a match.

Gentleman’s Rule

If both players agree on picking a stage not on either list, then it can be played.

Remind 101

Remind 101 is a text based alert system. It allows me to send a mass text to everyone who signs up to the list. To sign up send a text to the number provided and you’ll be added automatically. I’ll be using this system heavily for the benefit of players not in the room or else were in the event.

There is no cost to sign up, and please check with your service provider on your texting limits and rules. If you want to stay up to date when the a batch of matches are about to begin “SIGN UP PLEASE” This is the only way I can keep in touch with you when you leave.

Tied Game Rules

If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.

If the timer runs out, and both players have the same damage and stock, or die simultaneously there will be a 2 minute 1 stock Sudden death match on Final Destination. (In game sudden deaths are to be ignored)

Other rules

Stalling, the act of avoiding all conflict, to the point of the game becoming unplayable.

Example:
(Mewtwo's Soul Stunner Glitch or the Ice Climber freeze glitch), or any glitch that freezes the game or stops your opponent from controlling their character or indefinitely freezing.

Stalling in any form WILL GET YOU DISQUALIFIED!

The rising pound and peach bomber on the wall are only banned if they are being use to stall. Using them to recover is acceptable

Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling.

Wobbling is banned.

Standard map list

Battlefield
Final Destination
Dreamland 64
Fountain of Dreams

Counter Pick Stages:

Brainstar
Corneria
kongo Jungle
Pokemon Stadium
Rainbow Cruise
Yoshi's Island: (Yoshi's Story)[/COLLAPSE]

Update to both Tournaments: WF and LF will be best 2/3

bomberman0

Smash Cadet
1st place winners will get a plaque, and 2nd and 3rd will get metals. Now for the cool stuff I cannot release that information yet. CGS normally doesnt release other prizes because we like to our tournaments to be a bit more casual then most. 1 year we did cash prizes and every tournament was completely different, like we even had Justin Wong show up, (and basically rob people lol). CGS is about getting you together for fun and insight on the game industry. for instance, we will have members from EA attending giving seminars and answering questions. Its really cool. It can help lead to things like the time I personally got to sit down with Joe Sauder of Red Storm and go though Ghost Recon:FS source code before the games release at Red Storm's office, it was totally cool. like a rock star moment ( if your into programming) We will have more to come. and this is just a part of if, all for $10.

BEHR

Smash Hero
f they give me an internship with pay thatll be dope

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
I saw that wobbling was banned originally so I got hella confused

I don't mind the weird rulesets either, the only thing that bothers me is that yoshi's isn't neutral. Could you explain the reasoning behind that? All neutrals's have some funky things about them, a lot of people would argue (me not being one of them) that FD or FoD aren't neutral. most people would argue that yoshi's is neutral.

Also with some of crazier cp's like brinstar, corneria, would it be too crazy to ask for each player to get a cp ban? I mean even if it's only for the 3 finals sets. The rest of the matches are gonna be played on a random neutral anyway so they don't even get cp's (part of my yoshi's issue)

Not trying to attack like I did last year

Just asking questions

:phone:

bomberman0

Smash Cadet
The map selection was originally for a 2/3 set for every match, but I realized I wasn't going to get the space i was eyeing this year, so calls had to be made. :( The maps list I made could of been straight from smashboards but honestly I want to mix it up for fun sake.:awesome:

but your right about the picking so what I can do is just make a big list where its randomly selected ?

also with your opponent you can ask if they would like a different map, and if they agree you can play that map.

I'm open to feedback, honestly its the only way I can improve. :)

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
If I were to add some constructive criticism, I would add yoshi's to the list of neutrals, and inact the stage striking process (one player knocks off one stage, the next knocks off 2, first player knocks off one more, bam starting nuetral stage).

As I'm also going to reiterate having a cp ban for the 2/3 sets, which I would extend to the semi finals (aka ws, wf, ls, lf, and gf all be best 2/3 sets).

bomberman0

Smash Cadet
I can do the adding Yoshi to neutrals list, but adding 2/3 for semi, like wf, ws, ls, lf, isn't going to be possible. I worked out the math. I want it to be that way, but I just am not able. :/

bomberman0

Smash Cadet
and for this year, I will have a room dedicated to brawl/melee freeplay for the entire event. its right across from the tournament room.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
It's only 2/3 for higher up matches

2/3 for only grand finals is pointless

At least do it for winner and losers finals as well

People are competing here

Again

The notion of playing 1 match isn't at all appealing

Shwag

Smash Cadet
I was there last year, and honestly, the people who have been to tournaments before, and know the scene, did 2/3s in our rounds anyway.

I do agree with Lucas though, WF/LF/GF at least should be 2/3. The amount of jankyness, especially in Brawl, can make it really annoying for two people who are good enough to make it to winners/losers finals and be knocked out of the tournament without a chance at a redemption game.

I really don't have a dog in the fight this year though as I won't be able to make it.

Best of luck to everyone who attends :)

Squire Gq

Smash Rookie
The TO for melee and brawl seemed reasonable last year. We had best of three for semifinals and up. Also, we seeded the top players based on community input. From my experience it has gotten better every year that I have been attending, and I don't think this will be any different. The prizes will be lame, there is no prize money, but if you want to have fun I promise you will accomplish at least that.

bomberman0

Smash Cadet
Good news everyone! I've done enough work to get the systems I need. I'll be able to add WF, LF 2/3. As i continue to work I'll update.

SmashGuy

Smash Journeyman
Hey bomberman0! I didn't know you get on here? Well I do and I'm always at the smashboards areana if you wanna brawl me sometime! And if you wanna reply to this comment PM me

bomberman0

Smash Cadet
sounds fun! Also, I am looking for commentators for brawl. You'll still be able to play in the tournament. It will be streamed on our twitch page

bomberman0

Smash Cadet
Yep, but there will be tons of fun, not to mention the tournament is free. Just 10 to get into the event.

Victini

Smash Rookie
Sounds like this tournament where you barely get to play costs $10 dollars for door fee + gas to get to Goldsboro and doesn't pay out. O_o
Did you even read the link? Its the Carolina Games Summit you're going to not just a brawl/melee tournament. The 10$ includes access to any of the tournaments hosted. Industry speakers, bands, booths etc. Also barely get to play? Sure i would love this to be 2/3 but when you have a limited amount of time (NON-NEGOTIABLE) then stuff has to be cut down. At least we got 2/3 finals.

GaGa

Smash Journeyman
Actually, 1 Match is preferable. There tend to be a lot of casual players, and ( Bottom Tier Competitive > Casual ) so the one match thing is alright.

Last year, the all the competitive players played 2/3 anyway and agreed on a rule set.
It really is a lot of fun, regardless of the prizes.

:bee:

bomberman0

Smash Cadet
Everyone Please to help make this easy for you to show up play and enjoy the event with out worry of your next match. Join remind 101, its free and easy. It allows me to send a mass text on the next match in line up. Don't worry a the end of the event I will delete the list of numbers from the service so you won't be spammed anything.

TheLastCacely

Smash Hero
It was actually normal rule set. The only difference is, there was no double elimination. Bracket was 2 out of 3, and grand finals was 3 out of 5.

-keef 40rd

bomberman0

Smash Cadet
Unfortunately Tiopro had crash and corrupted my file and i can't recover my Melee tournament or any other data for that matter : ( I have the brawl done bracket, but I'll have post it monday. I'm going to try and fix this.

Top Bottom