• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captaining Project M: Olimar Discussion

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
How to change the own move strategy depending on the Pikmin (mainly the neutral game, because I assume Olimar has to make different choices based on Pikmin) ? When is side-b good? And is it best to camp out the time your Pikmin aren't at flower mode yet?

mYzeALot

Smash Journeyman
Side-b is good when you have at least 3 or 4 pikmin total, so you have a couple to back you up if the opponent rushes in. In my playstyle, I always try to camp the timer, and I even do it with my Wario to gain a tiny edge. It makes the game less action-packed, but it is worth it if you can do it. That being said, this game is fast paced, so a quick character will give you a hard time when you try to run away and just chuck pikmin. Good players will attempt to take advantage of you if you have no Pikmin, so playing defensive from a distance is good depending on the situation.

mYzeALot

Smash Journeyman
I mean in a perfect world, If I had time to get my pikmin into the order I want, such as blue, purple, red, then I would look for a grab to follow up with up smash then fair for maximum damage. But, do you don't always get that, more like rarely. My myself, I kind of dislike having unflowered white pikmin, so I always just chuck them at the opponent, not really caring what happens with them. I really dislike grabbing with purple pikmin, so I usually avoid trying to grab with purple pikmin in front. But, these are definitely habits that the opponent can pick up on if he/she is familiar with olimar as a character. If I have like a red, blue, yellow, then I just do whatever is good for the situation. It is very difficult to always get that dair or uair with your red pikmin, or your d-throw combo starter with your blue. For killing, I only try to grab for kill with blue pikmin, but a lot of my kills come from up smash or fair/bair with any color other than white.
One thing I really dislike having happen, is losing your stock before your opponent when they are close to death, then only pulling like yellow and white pikmin mostly. It makes it a lot tougher to kill, so I just try to throw them away quickly to pull new ones. My overall goal is to have a combination of red, blue, and purple pikmin because they seem to be the best in most situations.

B.W.

Smash Champion
Yeah. Doesn't work so well. D-Air is to slow to follow up with. U-Smash to N-Air works pretty well though, especially if you practice using D-Air to drag opponents back down to the ground.

steelguttey

mei is bei
has anyone ever followed up the knockback from the final hit of (flowered) white pikmin latched on while the opponent is offstage with dair? it feels like you just won the lottery holy crap

Top Bottom