• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captain Falcon's Combos and Approach

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Hello again fellow Falcon mains. Some other people were asking how Falcon ought to utilize the combo starters in this game that I talked about in a previous video, as some of them are seemingly difficult to use (landing uairs mostly). I put together a short video describing how I feel Falcon should best use them since it's easier to see it than just read about it. If you've got any other tips, especially in regards to Falcon's approach/how to start combos with him, post them! Or criticize me if you feel I'm wrong or there are better ways to use them.

Anyways here's the video.

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
Good vid. Have you had any luck with incorporating tilts into your approaches?

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Good vid. Have you had any luck with incorporating tilts into your approaches?
Other than dtilt to set up edge guard kills, not really. I'll combo into utilt at mid percents sometimes (40ish) since you can then uair into a knee after that if the spacing is good. Retreating f-tilts are good when someone is pressuring you though. Right now I'm working on incorporating perfect pivots into my game. There's probably some good approach options from that.

Haptic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2251-5184-4442
Great videos so far. I wish I combo'd in the air as well as you do, haha. I'd be interested in seeing a few full matches from you if you had the time to upload those.

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Great videos so far. I wish I combo'd in the air as well as you do, haha. I'd be interested in seeing a few full matches from you if you had the time to upload those.
I'm considering doing that. Problem is, most of my matches (at least the ones not against friends or locally) are not really all that exciting. It's just grabs into uair strings, juggling, and knee finishing opponents who don't know how to deal with it, and a fair amount of them have a fairly significant amount of input lag and that makes the replays worthless, really. I've got a few replays where I get absolutely bodied though, I feel like those will be really helpful for analysis. I'll see how things go this weekend, see if I can get enough good replays to put something out next week if I get the chance.

Haptic

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2251-5184-4442
Having a few where you destroy the opponent would be good to have as well, for comparison. I'm just really curious as to the general flow of the match when you're playing, and how you play against certain characters like Little Mac (since he's so prevalent online).

Last edited:

DragonsofUganda

Smash Rookie
As a noob falcon main, any tips on when to use the knee? This is literally my first game maining falcon lol

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
As a noob falcon main, any tips on when to use the knee? This is literally my first game maining falcon lol
After a dthrow and after a uair, at the right percents. Basically you wanna do it when they're in hitstun or are incapable of defending from it. In general I avoid using it when you're gonna land on the floor after it since you have a half second of ending lag if you do.

DragonsofUganda

Smash Rookie
After a dthrow and after a uair, at the right percents. Basically you wanna do it when they're in hitstun or are incapable of defending from it. In general I avoid using it when you're gonna land on the floor after it since you have a half second of ending lag if you do.
Well I noticed that sometimes you can just do dthrow to knee. I'm guessing this has to do mostly with percents? Around what percents should I be doing uair before going straight for the knee?

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Well I noticed that sometimes you can just do dthrow to knee. I'm guessing this has to do mostly with percents? Around what percents should I be doing uair before going straight for the knee?
This is true. It depends on the character, but generally this is in the ~70 percent range. Uair is much more lenient. Oftentimes you can go from dthrow --> uair --> knee at around the 50s to 60s. Experiment with characters, but its usually that range of percent. Also, you can usually do a quick double jump into the knee after a downthrow to give you a second window to combo into the knee at around the 80s and 90s.

Some characters are not suited to kneeing from throws though. Think characters like Kirby or Jigglypuff. Uairs can still get them though if you get a good one nice and close to Falcon.

Exor

Smash Cadet
Holy cow that falling Uair looks amazing. I need to try that.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
uair has only 8 frames of landing lag, the lowest of all uairs in the game and one of the lowest in the game (megaman has 0 frames on nair)

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I've been practicing a lot, i'm trying to get down that Uair approach, it's freaking fantastic. It feels so good to get good games, where wether i win or lose it feels that it was a good match, but sadly 9/10 matches i play are laggy as hell, and the worst thing is that i know that it's my internet provider's fault, so even if i play against people here it will keep happening.

Last edited:

Portanix

Smash Cadet
Awesome video! Keep up the good work. I would love to see more of your gameplay as Captain Knee.

WhuTom

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0275-9000-8776
You're no doubt a better Falcon than me, but I thought I'd add that I've found dtilt to be solid for spacing and getting some room back from aggressive close up characters like Mac, it's just got such good range it catches people out. Good knockback too; I've had success using dtilt on an opponent, whilst they're still falling back you have a dash attack option or jump and falling nair which I usually land. Just my two cents worth!

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Those Uair approaches would be way easier if i could have matches without lag :awesome:

Blazing Ambition

Smash Journeyman
I've found that jab (similar to Ganon's) is a good way to remain somewhat safe if you whiff aerials. N-Air has great range, and the jab comes out quick enough to stuff any counter attacks/grabs.
I just N-Air, Jab, react.

mlorenzo

Smash Journeyman
Here is my list of combos and setups, I have found and their percentages. If you want me to make a thread with this let me know. For now here is the results.

COMBOS

0% = Down throw to Up-air

(Grounded) Up-air to Jab

Neutral-air to Jab

Back-air to Forward-tilt

25% = (Grounded) Up-air to Forward Tilt

(Grounded) Up-air to Dash Attack

(Grounded) Up-air to Up-air

Back-air to Dash Attack

55% = (Grounded) Up-air to Knee

Down-air to Up-air

77% = Down-air to Down-air

Down-air to Back-air

99% = Down-air to B-air

Down-air to Knee

SETUPS

0% = Dash Attack to Knee

Dash Attack to Up-tilt (reset)

Dash Attack to Up-air

Gentleman to Dash attack

Forward Throw to Dash Attack

Up-smash to YES!

Up-smash to Up-air

25% = Down Throw to Knee

Up-tilt to Dash Attack

40% = Down Throw to Up-air to Knee

55% = (Angle) Forward-tilt to Dash Attack

77% = (Weak) B-air to Dash Attack

My grab release research will be posted soon. :3

Last edited:

Nintymat

Smash Cadet
Cool thread, cool data.

Something i'm wondering because I don't have the capacity to test it right now is, is down-throw into Knee ever a true combo on any characters at any percent?

By 'true combo' im thinking the hitstun is too much for the opponent to act out of, i'm not thinking about what ever effect DI might have.

I ask because I have hit down-throw - knee several times online and i'm unsure if it's because Falcon is sick and the opponent can't do anything about it, or if it's because im playing against players who don't have the reactions to mash air-dodge after I throw.

mlorenzo

Smash Journeyman
Yes. Of course this is taking on account that the up-air is fresh at that percentage. Falcon has multiples way to refresh his moves, pummel and jabs. I haven't test how stale can up-air be to still combo into knee.

Last edited:

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
That's good news. Thanks for hitting the lab to test some of these out. I've landed a few uair to knees but wasn't sure if it was a frame tight combo

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Cool thread, cool data.

Something i'm wondering because I don't have the capacity to test it right now is, is down-throw into Knee ever a true combo on any characters at any percent?

By 'true combo' im thinking the hitstun is too much for the opponent to act out of, i'm not thinking about what ever effect DI might have.

I ask because I have hit down-throw - knee several times online and i'm unsure if it's because Falcon is sick and the opponent can't do anything about it, or if it's because im playing against players who don't have the reactions to mash air-dodge after I throw.
I've managed to make it a true combo on characters like Zero Suit Samus on training mode, around 65-80%

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
Dash/run > Turnaround > Hold Shield while turning around.
(C.F. Will Slide a little in his shield) but then again this works for multiple if not all the characters & im not sure the usage

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Cool thread, cool data.

Dthrow into knee DOES true combo at some percents. If you go to my channel I have an earlier video where I show the combo counter during some combos as well as some percents to do those at. It depends a lot on the character though. You'll probably never get Greninja or Jigglypuff type characters with it, for example. Works effectively vs Little Mac and the like though.

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
I must just suck, cause I can never Uair as an approach. It never connects and leaves me wide open.
I also cannot up air into knee. It seems that the up air lasts just too long for me to react with a knee. They are always able to get away, even in training mode. :/ Any help, cause I am really frustrated.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
I must just suck, cause I can never Uair as an approach. It never connects and leaves me wide open.
I also cannot up air into knee. It seems that the up air lasts just too long for me to react with a knee. They are always able to get away, even in training mode. :/ Any help, cause I am really frustrated.
Well I can help you with the second part through text at least. Take a look in the two videos I have. See how I wait just a hair of a second before doing the uair? If you want to combo into the knee, you need to do the uair fairly close to Falcon. There is plenty of hitstun to do this. Just watch where they're going, and if you feel like they're in range for the uair but it'll send them to far for the knee, just do a second/third uair instead. That's still a solid 32-38 percent damage combo. Also, you can't go from uair into the knee above a certain percent. They simply get launched too far.

As for approaching with the uair, it's really all about timing. Practice doing shorthops and then pulling out the uair about a half second before Falcon lands. You know that white blur that appears when you do your uair (shows the hit area)? You know you're doing your falling uairs right when only the very first part (where Falcon's feet are in front of him) is visible. Also you do have to get pretty darn close to do it, which is why I recommend baiting out smashes or other punishable things with dash dancing or any other similar technique, and then short hopping into your falling uair while they are recovering from the lag. This is also good if you expect your opponent to air dodge into the ground on their way back to the stage or after a jump. Basically what I'm saying is, don't approach with your uairs a whole lot. Use them sparingly, allow your opponent to make mistakes while keeping just outside their range, and then set them up with it when you see your chance.

Empty shorthops, that is just short hopping and fast falling without doing anything, is a good way to confuse your opponent and keep them guessing as to what you're gonna do. You see good Greninja players do this all the time. Using this technique will make your uair approaches safer since your opponent won't know whether to attack, shield, or dodge when you shorthop towards them, as they'll always have to guess whether it's just more mindgaming or an actual attack.

As a final note, I highly recommend that in just about every circumstance that you mash out your jab right after whiffing a falling uair. Falcon's uair is tied for the lowest landing lag of all aerials in the entire game. 9/10 times you'll be able to stuff their shield grab or punish their spot dodge with a swift Gentleman. If you whiff and they rolled behind you, just do an ftilt at them. If they rolled away or you whiffed at a distance, quickly get airborn again or maybe even roll if you think they're going for a grab or shield if they go for the dash attack. Sometimes you'll get punished for it by extremely fast characters being played by good players with fast reaction times, but most of the time Falcon still has the advantage after the uair.

Mr. Pants

Smash Apprentice
Just decided to start playing Captain Falcon because his amiibo looks cool :4falcon: and this thread has been helpful in getting me started. The D tilt edge guard has been working and his spike is great. Still working on landing that knee out of the D throw (and just in general) and I'm having a really tough time approaching with the U Air but it is a great move once you have your opponent in the air.

EDIT: meant "approaching with the U air," NOT U tilt :facepalm:

Last edited:

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
and I'm having a really tough time approaching with the U tilt but it is a great move once you have your opponent in the air
I really REALLY hope you meant Uair in there... o.O

That said, and contributing, I truly believe that f-throw is the superior throw in lower (close to 0%) percentages, for racking up damage. It comes out VERY fast, and if you do it out of a dash grab, most people won't react to it quickly enough to avoid the dash attack follow-up. After that, uair uair uair... And suddenly your opponent is in d-throw -> knee percentages.

Of course, it's never THIS simple, but I think you get what I mean. I do this online a lot, only 1 guy was able to escape the dash attack, so far. Of course, this IS online... lag may help me, in this case.

Mr. Pants

Smash Apprentice
I really REALLY hope you meant Uair in there... o.O

That said, and contributing, I truly believe that f-throw is the superior throw in lower (close to 0%) percentages, for racking up damage. It comes out VERY fast, and if you do it out of a dash grab, most people won't react to it quickly enough to avoid the dash attack follow-up. After that, uair uair uair... And suddenly your opponent is in d-throw -> knee percentages.

Of course, it's never THIS simple, but I think you get what I mean. I do this online a lot, only 1 guy was able to escape the dash attack, so far. Of course, this IS online... lag may help me, in this case.
TOTALLY MEANT U AIR! going to edit.

For the dash grab, do you need to start the grab a bit before you reach your opponent? Sometimes my dash grabs don't grab despite being right on top of them and sometimes I go right through them

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
You need to be aware of the absurd reach of the new dash grab, yeah. Going right through them = you pressed the grab button too late.

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
@ Gawain Gawain thanks a BUNCH for this guide. After many, many matches of me losing many, many times, I am finally improving. I got the d-throw to knee down (still trying to work on the d-throw to u-air to knee though), and my short hop up airs are much improved, as well as the short hop back airs and neutral.
I am having a lot more fun now after your tips.

I do have a question, though. is a back air approach very viable? I have had use in it, ahtough I am not the best with it quite yet. Also, what about U-tilt? I have found it a great spiking tool, especially when the opponent tries to jump through a platform.
EDIT: Also, when you are referring to Dash-grabbing, are you referring to boostgrabbing, or the dash and then grab? Cause I am assuming it is the boost grab. Also, what d you think of a f-air on a short hop, and then immediately fast falling within the first few frames of the fair? It has worked well for me for mid percents.

Last edited:

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
I assume dash then grab is what he meant, because Falcon's is so insanely fast already that he simply doesn't need boostgrabbing.

I'm not Gawain, but short-hop knee is the way to go to punish whiffed smashes, no doubt. I love it and use it all the time myself (but you get style points if you actually can hit full-hop -> fastfall -> sweetspotted knee).

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
I assume dash then grab is what he meant, because Falcon's is so insanely fast already that he simply doesn't need boostgrabbing.

I'm not Gawain, but short-hop knee is the way to go to punish whiffed smashes, no doubt. I love it and use it all the time myself (but you get style points if you actually can hit full-hop -> fastfall -> sweetspotted knee).
Oh I have sweetspotted them a few times. They are pretty classy when it works but it is hard to pull off in this game. Need a real analogue stick.

Top Bottom