• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captain Falcon Match-Up (MU) Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwordsRbroken

Smash Apprentice
What do you guys think of the Villager matchup? This matchup seems terrible at a glance to me because he's short, zones well, edgeguards like a boss, and can kill wicked early.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
It's hard until you understand that you don't edgeguard him. the only way you can gimp his recovery is Bair stagespike if he recovers low, and that's assuming he doesn't tech.

Once you've made your peace with that the matchup is quite enjoyable. Vill can't set up his gyros without eating a dash attack or a dash grab and his only moves that are really effective in this matchup are Fair and Bair. His turnips will also cause you trouble in some way but since you move so fast you can avoid getting too much in their zone.

Other than that stay aware for his tree gimmicks (the tree growth has a huge and powerful hitbox) and you should be clear.

Skattpilgrim

Smash Rookie
It's hard until you understand that you don't edgeguard him. the only way you can gimp his recovery is Bair stagespike if he recovers low, and that's assuming he doesn't tech.

Once you've made your peace with that the matchup is quite enjoyable. Vill can't set up his gyros without eating a dash attack or a dash grab and his only moves that are really effective in this matchup are Fair and Bair. His turnips will also cause you trouble in some way but since you move so fast you can avoid getting too much in their zone.

Other than that stay aware for his tree gimmicks (the tree growth has a huge and powerful hitbox) and you should be clear.
This doesn't account for Villagers that run timber counter though and with customs legal it seems like there's no way falcon can approach a villager then making it possibly his worst match up.

On a separate note I was looking for advice on the peach match up. I was playing against the first good peach I've found and she was zoning me out with float dairs eventually i just started slow walk up-tilting her and it seemed to work out I was wondering if this is actually viable though. I seem to remember someone saying that up-tilt is disadvantageous on hit because if they tech it they can respond while falcon is still in end lag I was wondering if this is true. If this is the case then what do you do in the peach match up since they can float above grab and her Fair trades with everything. It's not like Falcon has any disjoints

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Care to describe me what timber counter does ? I can't go on youtube right now.

And about Peach zoning with Fair: Fair is slower than SH Uair, so the plan when approaching is if you see it coming then shield but if you're fast enough you have the time to Uair her before she can harm you. Dair is a little harder to deal with and you should just runaway and use your Bair if she likes to keep floating.

Skattpilgrim

Smash Rookie
Care to describe me what timber counter does ? I can't go on youtube right now.
Timber counter is a villager custom that makes the sapling of the tree basically a banana except it can't be moved only works on the opponent and has a larger hit box. When running into it you will trip and take 2% if they water it then it will have the normal tree hit box when it comes up I believe and if you hit the tree it does damage to you kind of like peach's toad.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
As a Brawl Falcon player I can't help on this matchup because Everytime I think about it the only words that come to mind are "too easy compared to Brawl".

Also I don't recall facing a MK in smash U, let alone a decent one.

Dyce

Smash Cadet
Hey everyone! I'm a Sheik main, but will be using Falcon to counter my tougher matchups, namely Lucario. How do you all think the DDD vs Falcon matchup is? DDD also gives me some trouble. Perhaps my mental block.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
I also find the DDD matchup to be a little harsh. I don't have a lot of advice to give except be careful when offstage and on the ledge, as his gordos can be a big pain, and also respect the range of his Ftilt.

The Lucario matchup is all about mental stamina really because when he reaches 100% it doesn't matter how big your advantage is, small mistake will cost you between 20% and a stock. Lucario has his disadvantages still, mostly a really strange recovery that can be extremely punishable or completely safe, and a weak offensive game at low percents.

Silvalfo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Silvalfo
Nice! It's always good to see good and helpful threads getting stickied.

Dedede is a tough MU, imo. Even though he gets comboed a lot, he can also combo us pretty nastily at low percents and gordos just laugh at Falcon's short, hitbox-less recovery. Be careful with his good zoning.

Due to his great grab range, try not to pressure with FF bairs and uairs as he can shieldgrab better than most characters.

Falcon's good at punishing and Dedede isn't that good at not getting punished, so work your opponent's mind to your advantage in little situations which can net you sweet damage.

Keep him in the air and position yourself diagonally downards with Dedede facing towards you (basically saying: like just after a dthrow). This is the best situation possible, as his fair is slow, he can't dair or nair you and Falcon's free to uair all dai like he's supposed to. His air speed is utterly terrible. This combined with the aforementioned positioning forces Dedede to panic airdodge more often than most of the roster. Read that for a knee.

Be more cautious than usual with rolls, as his dsmash sends you in a obscenely bad angle for recovery.

He's also one of the characters who get true comboed from FF landing uair -> knee for the longest iirc.

Does anybody have helpful advice for fighting Sonic? Both characters can't really approach, but Sonic simply ignores Falcon's neutral game and demolishes our every attempt to do anything. This MU frustrates me to no end.

SwordsRbroken

Smash Apprentice
Dtilt seems to be the only thing besides dash attack that's decent in neutral against Sonic. Dash grab has its uses, but if you ever whiff it, be prepared to eat at least 30% for your troubles.

If Sonic ever dash attacks at all — it's a free punish. It has a lot more ending lag than you would think.

Try and get him above you, like in most matchups, watch out for his dair, if you read it, it's a knee, etc. Typical stuff.

Oh and the spring edgeguards are dangerous. Mix up your recovery by going high some of the time to throw him off.

That's all I can think of off of the top of my head. I would pick a different character if I went up against a Sonic in a tournament, honestly, as I find this matchup extremely irritating to play.

KoiWhite

Smash Rookie
How do you guys get an edge in the fox matchup?

Recently faced a decent fox and had quite a bit of trouble. Kind of a similar playstyle to sheik in that all of the moves come out fast and lagless but he has solid kill options along with more varied approach options. Besides the multi-hit down air approach, nairs, dash attacks, and grabs, every dodge or shield has to be precise. If the Fox dair is shielded for too short, then it'll hit you, if too long, then he'll get you in his uptilt combo or just grab.

I can try to space with nairs, dash attacks, or grabs but I feel Fox has the upper hand because his speed and quick attacks give him better options to space and punish. In a way, it feels like playing as Ganondorf vs a faster character.

Any ideas of weaknesses of Fox I can capitalize on?

energyman2289

Smash Cadet
NNID
energyman2289
3DS FC
5257-9419-2734
I just played a ridiculously good Shulk on FG. Like, he'd two stock me half of the time. He spaced so well with his arials. It was crazy.. We need some more match up discussion about Falcon vs Shulk..

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
How about a race with the Green Plumber? Click the Warp pipe to teleport!

:231:

MattPlaysSmash

Smash Cadet
NNID
Matt16545
I have trouble with the DK match-up. Is that weird? Well, our scene uses customs and i'm not sure how to work around Kongs Wind Up-B. Any advice on that?

NNID
Shado_Chimera
3DS FC
2019-9854-8378
if you're caught in the cyclone you can hit him out of it right before the final hit with up air at lower %s (there are 4 frames before the final hit without super armor) or you can airdodge.

-Shion-

Smash Cadet
Hit me with anything that'll help vs Pikachu's crazy recovery options and approaches, as well as how to deal with Shieks.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Pikachu's recovery : use lingering hitboxes like Bair and Uair and try to predict his up B trajectory. It takes experience but once you get the hang of it you'll be able to rack some nice and free damage. A gimp is unlikely though.

Sheik : play patient, you can't rush in and you can't throw out unsafe moves because Sheik can punish most of your laggy options. Stick with safe moves until you get your momentum, then you can afford a little more creativity.

0mart

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mr.0mart
I feel like this thread is not organized at all... Can we determine which MU are we gonna discuss next? I feel that, saying that other boards are discussing our MU is not gonna help as much as we discussing other MUs. ;v

EDIT: Guys I think we should need to use another format when we finish discussing a MU... let´s say, we use the format the Charizard boards´s are using that after weeks of discussion, they compile the Pros, Cons, and general knowledge of the MU in a Tab. ... At least I think that would be easier to read,search and understand than jumping from a link to another

Last edited:

0mart

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mr.0mart
@ Waymas Waymas vs MK

- SDI Up when he hits you with the First UpB hit so the second dont connects.
- Combos on Low% after a Dthrow are Nair followed up by Uair,
- He has a lot of troubles landing because his Dair was nerfed from Brawl. (Dont use your 2nd jump when you are trying to juggle him, as if you commit going to high, he can fastfall and Air dodge so it´s better to just stay outranging him with your Uair.)
- Dont force out the kill as he is floaty and squishy but he can combo Falcon semi-hard its better to not going for a commitment.
- Dash Attack its a great punish vs his Approaches(Dash attack, Dashgrab or if he tries a fair)
- Dont try to force out a punish if you shield the Fsmash as its reeeally fast on cooldown... try to see what he wants to do next and punish accordingly.

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Does anyone else seem to have serious problems when facing Sonic? Sonic is faster, can punish you better, rush you down better, and has more reach than you due to those lanky limbs of his.

VileMK2

Smash Rookie
Any advice in the ROB MU?, even if its ridiculiosly predictable that he is gonna do neutralb(eyelazer)+downb (gyros), somehow it gets me, however i have found that gyros are easy to punish if you airdodge grab it by reading when he is gonna throw them at you, i also have noticed they do a lot of shieldgrabs or shield+dsmash.

Also with the sonic MU, i would recommend maining megaman along with falcon for this MU as his buster can easily punish most of his approaches, i also achieve to at least one stock a sonic who two stocked me with falcon if i use Rock. I agree that the Falcon VS Sanic MU is probably the most frustating and annoying MU with falcon.

Silvalfo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Silvalfo
I feel like this thread is not organized at all... Can we determine which MU are we gonna discuss next? I feel that, saying that other boards are discussing our MU is not gonna help as much as we discussing other MUs. ;v

EDIT: Guys I think we should need to use another format when we finish discussing a MU... let´s say, we use the format the Charizard boards´s are using that after weeks of discussion, they compile the Pros, Cons, and general knowledge of the MU in a Tab. ... At least I think that would be easier to read,search and understand than jumping from a link to another
I agree completely. There should be a regularly updated OP with biweekly discussions on characters or groups of characters. When a certain character isn't being discussed but you want help, there's always the Q&A thread (which has material to be imported to this MU thread).

We need solid information and consensus for Falcon's MUs, especially the bad ones, and I'm afraid we might not go far in the present discussion model.

@ M Maître Luigi , do you think this is viable?

lazerultra2

Smash Rookie
NNID
Lazerultra2
3DS FC
0173-2489-2225

I everyone, I would like to participate to the Falcon MU thread. So whats about Omart's thread reorganization ?

Edit: It appears that Maître Luigi didn't log since Feb. 22, 2015. Should we create another good looking and efficient thread or may a moderator change the thread author ?

Last edited:

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
2 Match ups I am wondering about. Disclaimer: At this point I am not playing with competitive rules... but that may change.

Zero Suit Samus: I was playing against a friend. If he got above me there was lots of trouble. I couldn't seen to land my smash attacks because ZSS get's hers of quicker.... and that long range grab.

Shiek: I hear this is a hard one... but it looks like someone will be playing that lady a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom