• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captain Falcon guide and analysis

Blackshadow

Smash Ace
Adelaide, Australia. Along with my Mad Duck.
s2j said:
then don't contradict yourself and act like a dumb guy
OK, I exxagerated when I said that you'd made no intelligent responses. The stuff earlier in the thread was good, it's just when I see comments such as "regrabbing the ledge has 0 mindgames" and that I'm a "dumass"I assume that that person isn't contributing with very helpful advice.

being completely off the mark like 70% stomp to falcon punch is rude in itself to learning noobs and makes you not a person of trust (or smarts)
Nevertheless, I never said outright that I knew it worked at those percents. I also apologized, and said that it must have been a memory lapse. I also gave a better figure of 125%. I'm sorry that I don't attempt dair -> falcon punch enough to know the percents off by heart, I only recalled that it worked around high percent, and so gave a benchmark figure. No need to be rude about it.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Stomp to falcon punch in falcon vs falcon works from like 85%ish. Assuming you're using a nonstale dair.

note: I'm talking about staying on the ground and falcon punching

dch111

Smash Journeyman
I understand that, but what would you have rather gone for in that situation? the natural continuation of uairs ending in a spike or upB, or this dropped uair to punch? I was wondering if perhaps dropped uair was less certain to connect (has a lower percentage range where it will be effective) and if you're playing to win, it'd be better to instinctively go for the jumped uair instead because there is more certainty in that. It just doesn't look terribly safe, unless I'm mistaken. In the video it looked like it was on the brink of letting swebits escape, or wasn't a combo altogether and swebits just didn't react in time.

DMoogle

A$
That kill was sex. I never would've thought of it.

Then again, I haven't worked in u-air-to-punch into my game yet, so it's a bit beyond me.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
The platform drop part doesn't really matter in terms of comboing into falcon punch (it's the same as any other insta z canceled uair). It was just smart to know that he'd be at the percent where uair - > ground falcon punch would work.

If it was a serious match I'd definitely go for more uairs to spike/upb though.

(blondekid)

Smash Apprentice
50 80 % fthrow falcon punch is the ****. A grab agaisnt falcon at that % insures kill

effang

Smash Rookie
How should i best play falc vs. kirby?

I'm having issues beating kirby with falc. i know that this is one of the worst match-ups that falc has, but the opponent is a female, so i can't lose!

she does a lot of kirby fthrows and then down drills on me...i think i'm not timing my recoveries correctly, or if i am, then maybe kirby's down drills are auto kills on me? even when i'm doing damage, the down drill has priority, and then i can't recover.

also...she has a few very consistent moves. once she f smash me once, she will continue doing that until i get pushed over any ledge. i can roll out of this, but often times this is a quick chain combo. is this easy to get out of? am i doing something wrong? or is this going to get me a few times until i get saved by the distance.

finally, what's the best way to play falc vs. kirby? i've been going defensive the last few times, and waiting for her to attack me, which seems to work a bit better since my throws are a little bit faster. it seems like when i'm agressing (on the ground), then i get beat by her f smashes a lot.

should i just play defensive and hope for her to make a mistake?

i was also looking at the maps...i would assume with such a floaty character i want to choose the largest stage anyways to increase my recovery chances given that this is going to be a long battle anyways?

thanks!

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Teching will get you out of the kirby fsmash -> fsmash.

Bait the fsmash and then attack. It's fast but not that fast.

Also don't teach her how to utilt lol if you really want to win.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
I'm soon gonna make a much more full and detailed guide on Captain Falcon along with some videos. Just need the right material for that.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Just a note: For me, against players of my own level or near it, Dsmash->falcon kick comes in useful once in a blue moon and is mad cool. I usually use it when someone makes a mistake and ends up with a bit of hurtbox sticking up through one of the lower platforms of DL at medium-high damage. Useful enough to include in a guide? No. Does it provide uses for what are arguably falcon's two most useless moves? Yes.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Shame on you for saying falcon kick is useless. Random falcon kicks are very effective. Also it's a fun edgeguard sometimes (either from the ground or doing the megavolt kick).

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
i Find falcon kicks useful if I am on the top platform, such as after an up b combo. and the opponent is off to the side.

I falcon kick to move myself quicker near the edge.

I have a video of me vs a fox, I can't seem to find it.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Shame on you for saying falcon kick is useless. Random falcon kicks are very effective. Also it's a fun edgeguard sometimes (either from the ground or doing the megavolt kick).
My new favorite thing is to allow a nub to "edgeguard" me with a Doug Kick at low %s, then DI into the wall, Doug Dive back up to the ledge, and gimp them (usually with ledgedrop->jump->bair) when they try to get back. It never gets old.

Top Bottom