• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can't we ban edgehogging/gimping on tether recoveries?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWii

Smash Journeyman
Why can't we ban gimping on tether recoveries? It has nothing to do with skill and its really unfair to the other player! Any noob can do it and thats just wrong.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
is this a troll?

*sigh* mabye edge hogging... but gimping is never going to go...

hippyman69

Smash Apprentice
lol at this guy. well, if any noob can gimp/edghog tether, then so can you. whats your problem?? if u dont like it, pick another char without a tether or learn to find ways around it. but banning it??? lol hahaha

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
Tether recoveries are a part of the character builds. They have weaknesses. At least Olimar gets a bit of a hop after his and can potentially recover without using the ledge. Hell, if you hate them so much, then when you know there's not chance of getting back, try to use your tether recovery to hit them while they're edgehogging. I've been killed multiple times at high damages by Olimar's Up + B and Ivysaur's Up + B's sweetspot. Besides, it's not really something you can or should govern and just say, "Whoop, you can't do that, DISQUALIFIED!". It was programmed like that for a reason.

TheWii

Smash Journeyman
It rarely kills the opponent unless they are at high percent and you hit them with a purple when you do the Pikmin Chain.
I know it feels really good when you do get them so that both die together but it still sucks. I have lost some matches because of it.

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
It rarely kills the opponent unless they are at high percent and you hit them with a purple when you do the Pikmin Chain.
I know it feels really good when you do get them so that both die together but it still sucks. I have lost some matches because of it.
Truth, but it's better than going down without a fight, or not doing anything, right?

kimmykimchee

Smash Rookie
Are you serious?
Not really. You coming in and suggesting to have edgehogging/gimping on tether recoveries banned was hard to take seriously. But look at it this way: Falco's chaingrab is gay. It takes no skills, and any Falco player can just chaingrab you across the stage then spike and edgehog. Is that fair? No. Is it banned? No. Is it preventable? Yes. You have to outsmart your opponent or find ways around it.

Olimar has always been known for having a sucky recovery. Work your way around it. DI correctly, save your second jump until you REALLY need it when you're off the stage, use your up-B as a third jump or to grab the ledge, and just keep DIing back to the stage. I only use 2-3 pikmin too. I've never really had problems against edgehoggers, unless I'm flying horizontally, and that normally doesn't happen unless I tech or at high percentages.

If you are close enough to the edgehogger, b-air or f-air him to get him off and take over the ledge, or just up-B and DI up to get onto the stage.

I know it feels really good when you do get them so that both die together but still.
Not to mention, your opponent can tech, so you die, and he doesn't.

ALiAsVee

Smash Ace
i'd rather see techs like infinites get banned before edgehogging a tether recovery.

Then again, i don't believe in banning any of the techs discovered in brawl thus far, none of them are truly broken imo.

Kaicyios

Smash Rookie
Gimping is fair. It takes a lot to even be put in the position where you could get gimped. Until you are put at a somewhat high damage it is possible to get around it.

CometStar

Smash Apprentice
Since you willingly chose Olimar you must know that people will take advantage of gimping your tether and you need to be prepared for that. Try to work in a few methods to counter their edgehog. Do what Kimmykimchee suggested, wait til the last possible moment then use your second jump and use your upB as a third small jump. Uair also works nicely on knocking off edgehogging opponents as well.

I don't see any of these methods being banned by the smash community. As a Ness main, it would be nice to see Marths infinite on me banned. Is it cheap? Hell yeah. Will it be banned? Probably not. My work around for this is just to choose another character in this situation. In your case, you need to not upB immediatly and try to knock him off with other aerials before tethering. There normally is a work around for most situations, learn to minimize your weaknesses.

peeup

Smash Lord
OP fails... Without his awful recovery, Olimar could be considered pretty overpowered. Disjointed hitboxes on every attack, mind blowing grab range, fast, powerful...his only downsides are the fact that he's light, he has to pluck pikmin (not a huge disadvantage, all you have to do is grab, throw them away, then refresh ur pikmin supply), and his awful recovery. If being a featherweightis a character's only disadvantage, then we could end up with another character coming close to MK.

Olimarman

Smash Ace
Getting gimped is harder than you believe it is. There are so many ways to avoid getting in that position and getting yourself out of it. Edgegaurding will never be banned in any standard tournament as its just part of the game. Every character has their disadvantages, and Olimar's recovery is one of his very few. You can spike with the chain on around 40 with heavyweights like Snake, and they die first, which could mean a win for you.

RichBrown

Smash Master
Lets face it: Olimar would almost undoubtedly be high/top tier if it weren't for his awful recovery. His grabs are probably the best in the game, he has crazy good range, and his projectiles are the only projectiles that go through the pillars on luigis mansion and other stage pieces of that nature. and i've said this before, but how good does it feel to latch 1-2 white pikmin into a grab? watching my opponent panic as their damage goes up by 50-60% in about 2-3 seconds is awesome.

So yeah, Oli getting gimped easily is the trade off. Learn to WAC. throw purple pikmin on the edge. save your double jump. upair to get them off the edge. use tether as a third jump if need be.

curse you miyamoto for not inventing some sort of pikmin that has wings to carry oli back to the edge >:(

edit: yeah, I once was playing a doubles friendly match, and it came down to me and the other guy on the other team (lucario) and he hit me off the edge. we were both at high %'s. he grabbed the edge, I didn't know where the purple was in my line, and the only chance I had was a tether. I did my tether, and it nailed him, and he got stagespiked and died moments before i did. it was just a friendlies match but a lot of people were watching and it frew quite a few "OHHHHHH!!!!!"'s from the crowd ^_^

Barge

All I want is a custom title
Just stab the pikmin through their heart and grab onto the ledge, simple.

peeup

Smash Lord
Just stab the pikmin through their heart and grab onto the ledge, simple.
Dude, why isn't there a thread about this?! New epic AT, this could bring Olimar to God tier!

EDIT: seriosuly, though, can we close this thread?

Weruop

Smash Ace
anti edgehog is part of olimars game. if olimar didnt get edgehogged, he wood be top tier dude.

knowing when and how to use ur second jump, how many whistles to use in order to arrive at purple pikmin, etc. are all part of olimars game.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
"any noob can do it" most noobs dont know 2 people cant be on the ledge at the same time.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
TheWii, you say that yo will tell your opponents "not to do it".

That's like asking someone "Please punch me in the back of the head repeatedly".

Why should someone be punished because you cant handle the fact the character that YOU chose on your own has a ****ty recovery?

TheWii

Smash Journeyman
They dont always listen of course, is their choice. Im not forcing them lol.

What do you mean with that someone get punished because I choosed a charachter with a crappy recovery?
And I choosed Olimar because he is awesome and got a big nose. (Like Mario)

But I get everyones point that you cant ban it and its part of the game, it just annoys me alot.
Someone can close this thread if they want now.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I mean covering/holding the edge so that the charachter with the tether recovery cant recover.
You can do it to them, hold the edge so they cant grab after their recoveries.

It will never, ever be banned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom