• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can't Let you cut me Sakurai, Wolf for DLC

PigmaskColonel

Smash Journeyman
I've actually defeated plenty of people who use Ike as their main. Wolf is much faster! Using his gun to rack up damage and a swift down smash attack does the trick perfectly.
That's probabaly because you are really good with Wolf. I mean, look at your avatar and signature... :smirk:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I feel like Wolf has got a got shot of returning. He's likely low priority, but it seems that the game is pretty far along, to the point that I am expecting no cuts (except maybe Snake).
That being said I think that they should Luigify Wolf. Keep everything except his Final Smash, S-Special, and U-Special.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
I feel like Wolf has got a got shot of returning. He's likely low priority, but it seems that the game is pretty far along, to the point that I am expecting no cuts (except maybe Snake).
That being said I think that they should Luigify Wolf. Keep everything except his Final Smash, S-Special, and U-Special.
ya I agree with the moveset changes, as long as they keep the neutral special and the down special, along getting rid of the landmaster, it'll be more than sastified:)
and honestly there is no reason why wolf would be gone, the only thing I see is him being low priority, but that won't be the reason he gets cut

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
Wasn't Wolf already Luigified? He is still a rushdown character and I don't know what they can put for his side special, but for his up special:
It will be flexible, shorter start-up, and a bigger ledge sweetspot.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
That's probabaly because you are really good with Wolf. I mean, look at your avatar and signature... :smirk:

Wolf has a 60/40 advantage over Ike...even so, every friend of mine who's ever played Ike loses to me as Wolf (even my one friend who mains him and is arguably the best of them all). Ike's terrible start-up on attacks, lack of projectile, and tendency to get camped on the edge gives Wolf an advantage even if Ike outranges him on many standard attacks. Then again, I'm also consistently the best of my friends.

I actually really like his S-special and U-special. They're similar enough to Fox and Falco to tell you that they're rivals from the same universe, but different enough to make them basically unique attacks. Nothing sweeter than landing an apex Wolf Flash on a recovering opponent and spiking them. Risky, but so satisfying. I've actually spiked my friend while he was on the edge after both of us got knocked off by another friend in a free-for-all. He thought he would edge hog me and grab the ledge so I couldn't. He was wrong.

That said, I agree about Final Smash. Should be a Wolfen strike of some kind.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Eh, I think Falco could use some more changes than Wolf. Most of Wolf's attacks feel really different as it is. So just change the Final Smash and he's good to go in my book.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
Eh, I think Falco could use some more changes than Wolf. Most of Wolf's attacks feel really different as it is. So just change the Final Smash and he's good to go in my book.
agreed, out of the star fox trio, the one that needs the most changes is falco, but for wolf the only thing keeping that clone sticker on him, is the final smash, if that changes he's a good to go character from then on

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I'm glad some people actually get that Wolf is a unique character. Hell, Kirby is actually more similar to Fox than Wolf if you compare the functions of their standard attacks. Of course Kirby's specials are more unique but still.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
I'm glad some people actually get that Wolf is a unique character. Hell, Kirby is actually more similar to Fox than Wolf if you compare the functions of their standard attacks. Of course Kirby's specials are more unique but still.
yep I agree, though I think your going a little too far with Kirby, but still yep
and also this site is much more friendlier to wolf, but yet a lot of people out there still see a fox clone with a landmaster sadly. . . ~sigh~

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
yep I agree, though I think your going a little too far with Kirby, but still yep
and also this site is much more friendlier to wolf, but yet a lot of people out there still see a fox clone with a landmaster sadly. . . ~sigh~
Not really. If you look, Fox and Kirby's jab (punches vs kicks is only real difference), side tilt, up tilt, SSmash (in a functional way), USmash, Fair (although Kirby hits only three times) and Dair are all conceptually and functionally the same. Virtually no standard attack between Fox and Wolf is similar except Bair.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
Not really. If you look, Fox and Kirby's jab (punches vs kicks is only real difference), side tilt, up tilt, SSmash (in a functional way), USmash, Fair (although Kirby hits only three times) and Dair are all conceptually and functionally the same. Virtually no standard attack between Fox and Wolf is similar except Bair.
yep I know, I just meant by going to far is because of the main size and shape differences along with the obvious uniqueness Kirby has, but their moves do have a lot of similar properties, which unlike wolf and fox who share none but one similar normal attack

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
yep I know, I just meant by going to far is because of the main size and shape differences along with the obvious uniqueness Kirby has, but their moves do have a lot of similar properties, which unlike wolf and fox who share none but one similar normal attack
Right, yet you'll never here anyone claim their semi-clones because they look different. Which begs the question...do people call Wolf a clone because they think he fights too similarly to Fox...or because he looks kind of like Fox? Or just because he's from the same game as Fox? Makes you wonder how people actually judge clones.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
Right, yet you'll never here anyone claim their semi-clones because they look different. Which begs the question...do people call Wolf a clone because they think he fights too similarly to Fox...or because he looks kind of like Fox? Or just because he's from the same game as Fox? Makes you wonder how people actually judge clones.
the only reason why people are calling wolf a clone is because of these things

most people take one look at him and instantly call him a clone, makes me wish people would play the character first before judging it :rolleyes:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
the only reason why people are calling wolf a clone is because of these things

most people take one look at him and instantly call him a clone, makes me wish people would play the character first before judging it :rolleyes:
I like his Blaster (it fits him, and it only makes sense for him to carry one..EVERYONE does in Starfox), but would be ok with him losing his Reflector because other than very rare combo breaking or very predictable projectile use, I never use it (I usually just impulsively shield projectiles). That FS needs to go, period. Reverse engineered Landmaster? Please. They're outlaws, not scientific military geniuses who can, between 3 of them, build more powerful tanks than an entire galactic army. Use the Wolfens (not sure how they got those either, but at least its canon).

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
I want wolf to get black market weapons or something, It'd be cool.

But yeah using the G-diffuser is a normal thing for the starfox pilots. so its kinda normal for wolf to be using the reflector and up that up-special/side special of his. I mean it has different properties, i'm fine with wolf. But again black market weapons of some sort would make wolf even cooler, I also love the spurs noise when he lands on the ground, gotta love that attention to detail. That's why I like sakurai so much.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
I like his Blaster (it fits him, and it only makes sense for him to carry one..EVERYONE does in Starfox), but would be ok with him losing his Reflector because other than very rare combo breaking or very predictable projectile use, I never use it (I usually just impulsively shield projectiles). That FS needs to go, period.
me too I love his blaster, fox will always be my favorite projectile, but wolf's easy combo making blaster makes it a close second
I believe he needs his reflector, its a G-diffusor, and well every pilot in the star fox universe needs one, just wouldn't make much sense for someone from starfox to not have a shield,
but that final smash is not wanted, it needs to go now, its probably the only reason why every one calls him a clone anyway
I want wolf to get black market weapons or something, It'd be cool.
I don't know about you but that reflector and blaster just looks like black market too me :awesome:

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
me too I love his blaster, fox will always be my favorite projectile, but wolf's easy combo making blaster makes it a close second
I believe he needs his reflector, its a G-diffusor, and well every star fox pilot needs one, just wouldn't make much sense for someone from starfox to not have a shield,
but that final smash is not wanted, it needs to go now, its probably the only reason why every one calls him a clone anyway

I don't know about you but that reflector and blaster just looks like black market too me :awesome:
Yeah maybe give him the wolfen, or have him ride the wolfen with leon or something piloting it, and have him snipe people like fox did in assault.

Also, yeah he probably stole those. if that's the case they should detail it more, and since sakurai showed a close up pic of fox's blaster in detalied form, I have high hopes that wolf's weapons will be extremely detailed. Which will be sweet.

LoneKonWolf

Lazy Lonely Lurker☕
Reverse engineered Landmaster? Please. They're outlaws, not scientific military geniuses who can, between 3 of them, build more powerful tanks than an entire galactic army
actually he just borrows one from star fox team

Yeah maybe give him the wolfen, or have him ride the wolfen with leon or something piloting it, and have him snipe people like fox did in assault.

Also, yeah he probably stole those. if that's the case they should detail it more, and since sakurai showed a close up pic of fox's blaster in detalied form, I have high hopes that wolf's weapons will be extremely detailed. Which will be sweet.
ya eiter just have him use an wolfen, or maybe use the surrget turret form assault (the thing you use when you ride on the Arwings) as long as we don't get this:

i'll be happy

a close up on wolf's equipment would be sweet,

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
Change his up special to be flexible like lucario's and makes instead of swift kicks, makes his claws do the slashing like from Naruto (Wolf Fang over Fang).
Make his Blaster shoot 6 quick rounds (kind of like a weaken semi automatic gun) before reload. The start up would be slower than Fox's, intermediate range, and has more hitstun than Falco's.
Reflector should have a bigger hitbox and should be jump cancelable.
A unique side special could be that Wolf pulls out an a small electro sticky bomb, throws it at opponents. When it attaches, give it like 3-5 seconds and it explodes, but instead of initially dealing knockback, it deals plenty of stun (like ZSS's down smash). Medium knockback if not hit in the window of stun.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
You'd be surprised how often I still need to explain to some people that Wolf is actually a pretty unique character, haha. :p

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
If anything falco should be cut, he's more of a clone and is less important to the series
he's not more important than Falco. that's simply not true. im not saying Falco has more prominence or anything, but both of their overall importance to the series while considering their differing roles are negligible and either or could be interchangeable in all honesty. the whole was/is a clone BS doesnt really matter to much. just look at Toon Link. plus you are also inferring that Falco couldnt possibly be made differently this time around which in and of itself is either extremely pessimistic, or stupid. the reason i say could be cut has little to do with moveset potential. its more in that he could be considered more expendable than other characters within the roster. which lets face it, is true. i feel the same for characters like Ike, Jiggs and Lucario. this is not a reflection of them as a fighter, nor is it necesarily a depiction of my personal stance on them, as frankly Ike and Wolf are some of my favorites in Brawl, but moreso just a viewpoint as to who could be trimmed out. take for example the transition between Melee and Brawl. we lost Doc Mario, Pichu, Mewtwo, Roy and Young Link (though u can consider Toon Link his replacement so call it a wash) none of these characters could be considered necessary for their respective series. and i feel that way about Wolf and the other characters i mentioned as well. though i will say that Wolf has the most likely chance of return I've listed.

also, why are u quoting a comment thats like 4 months old?

Last edited:

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
he's not more important than Falco. that's simply not true. im not saying Falco is more prominence or anything, but both of their overall importance to the series while considering their differing roles are negligible and either or could be interchangeable in all honesty. the whole was/is a clone BS doesnt really matter to much. just look at Toon Link. plus you are also inferring that Falco couldnt possibly be made differently this time around which in and of itself is either extremely pessimistic, or stupid. the reason i say could be cut has little to do with moveset potential. its more in that he could be considered more expendable than other characters within the roster. which lets face it, is true. i feel the same for characters like Ike, Jiggs and Lucario. this is not a reflection of them as a fighter, nor is it necesarily a depiction of my personal stance on them, as frankly Ike and Wolf are some of my favorites in Brawl, but moreso just a viewpoint as to who could be trimmed out. take for example the transition between Melee and Brawl. we lost Doc Mario, Pichu, Mewtwo, Roy and Young Link (though u can consider Toon Link his replacement so call it a wash) none of these characters could be considered necessary for their respective series. and i feel that way about Wolf and the other characters i mentioned as well. though i will say that Wolf has the most likely chance of return I've listed.

also, why are u quoting a comment thats like 4 months old?
Pichu was a joke character like DAN Hibiki, Roy was an advertisement, Mewtwo (I believe) was planned to be changed up, but wasn't. Jiggs is quite popular in Japan and tries to appeal to girls. Lucario is well loved by many fans of SSBB and Pokemon. M2 did not have the love in SSBM. Doc could be an alt costume for Mario. Wolf is only expendable because Nintendo has yet to give him a substantial amount of changes that even the casuals can notice. Krystal is someone they all can see as someone who is different. Ike is representative for the new FE games also.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Pichu was a joke character like DAN Hibiki, Roy was an advertisement, Mewtwo (I believe) was planned to be changed up, but wasn't. Jiggs is quite popular in Japan and tries to appeal to girls. Lucario is well loved by many fans of SSBB and Pokemon. M2 did not have the love in SSBM. Doc could be an alt costume for Mario. Wolf is only expendable because Nintendo has yet to give him a substantial amount of changes that even the casuals can notice. Krystal is someone they all can see as someone who is different. Ike is representative for the new FE games also.
repeating myself here, they were considered expendable. u also have to keep in mind that Jiggs hasnt been a popular pokemon since like 2000 and ultimately was really close to being chopped in brawl. Ike is no longer a representative of the new FE games. that would be someone from Awakening if u want to take that route.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
repeating myself here, they were considered expendable. u also have to keep in mind that Jiggs hasnt been a popular pokemon since like 2000 and ultimately was really close to being chopped in brawl. Ike is no longer a representative of the new FE games. that would be someone from Awakening if u want to take that route.
Sadly, Jiggs is still somewhat popular in Japan (they like the chibi eyes I guess). The reason I pointed out Pichu's, Doc's, Roy's , and Ike's case was because there were actually reasons why they are considered expendable. All of their cases in no way mirror Wolf's case and thus would make your point moot. Wolf has been given a uniqueness and has a good size pack of fans following him. Sadly though, he is not as popular as the other spacies.

Sonicguy726

Smash Lord
there u just said exactly why i find Wolf expendable. plus through in the fact that he's not essential to the Star Fox cast and there is reason enough to be considered a drop.
He's the only way we can have a star fox villain though and he was already in brawl so why cut him

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
there u just said exactly why i find Wolf expendable. plus through in the fact that he's not essential to the Star Fox cast and there is reason enough to be considered a drop.
Falco is actually more expendable than Wolf as Wolf is a villain and presents a more diverse moveset. He is essential to the cast as he is their true antihero/villain. That is like saying KD3 and MK are expendable.

Zuba Oki

Smash Apprentice
If i were to change wolf here would be my movelist

jab: keep it the same maybe make it faster
7% first and second hit does 2% and third hit does 3%

ftilt: if i remember correctly it is a forward-going two hit strike but it was kinda slow i say speed it up
10% first does 3% second does 7%

utilt: his utilt IMO is pretty good keep as same
8%

dtilt: i think his dtilt had pretty good range and speed but i think it should pop up the opponent
if hit with a sweetspot at the edge of the foot 6% sweetspot 8%

dash attack: should be the same as project m wolf dash attack
5%

fsmash: keep as same
14% fully charged 26%

dsmash: keep as same but slightly bigger hitbox on claws
12% fully charged 24%

usmash: im torn between brawl usmash and pm usmash either one is fine this is a kill move
16% fully charged 28%

nair: wolf spins in the air with both arms stretched-out wolf positioning is vertical beginning of attack has high knockback
middle of attack is multi-hitting and low stun the beginning part is a kill move
beginning attack 10% middle 2% per hit

fair: same as before good juggle move decrease landing lag or bring back L-canceling
12%

uair:same as before another good juggler
10%

bair: same as before this will be a kill move
14%

dair: same but increase speed and decrease lag
10%

neutral b: same as before but chargeable, hitbox of the blade part of blaster is always active while gun is in use
uncharged shots do low stun while fully charged shots does high stun like ZZS gun
uncharged 5% fully charged 8%

side-b: keep as same but make it so that you can direct it slightly upward or downward
also pressing A during move with shorten distance
middle of move 17% apex 25%

up-b: i dont care that its a cloney move of fox it works much more differently keep as same and decrease startup
i believe the move does like 5 hits total 1% per hit 7%on last hit

down-b: keep as same 4% on start up

leave feedback please

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
If i were to change wolf here would be my movelist

jab: keep it the same maybe make it faster
7% first and second hit does 2% and third hit does 3%

ftilt: if i remember correctly it is a forward-going two hit strike but it was kinda slow i say speed it up
10% first does 3% second does 7%

utilt: his utilt IMO is pretty good keep as same
8%

dtilt: i think his dtilt had pretty good range and speed but i think it should pop up the opponent
if hit with a sweetspot at the edge of the foot 6% sweetspot 8%

dash attack: should be the same as project m wolf dash attack
5%

fsmash: keep as same
14% fully charged 26%

dsmash: keep as same but slightly bigger hitbox on claws
12% fully charged 24%

usmash: im torn between brawl usmash and pm usmash either one is fine this is a kill move
16% fully charged 28%

nair: wolf spins in the air with both arms stretched-out wolf positioning is vertical beginning of attack has high knockback
middle of attack is multi-hitting and low stun the beginning part is a kill move
beginning attack 10% middle 2% per hit

fair: same as before good juggle move decrease landing lag or bring back L-canceling
12%

uair:same as before another good juggler
10%

bair: same as before this will be a kill move
14%

dair: same but increase speed and decrease lag
10%

neutral b: same as before but chargeable, hitbox of the blade part of blaster is always active while gun is in use
uncharged shots do low stun while fully charged shots does high stun like ZZS gun
uncharged 5% fully charged 8%

side-b: keep as same but make it so that you can direct it slightly upward or downward
also pressing A during move with shorten distance
middle of move 17% apex 25%

up-b: i dont care that its a cloney move of fox it works much more differently keep as same and decrease startup
i believe the move does like 5 hits total 1% per hit 7%on last hit

down-b: keep as same 4% on start up

leave feedback please
You actually decreased damage output on many of wolf's attacks. I hate the neutral b idea as it is completely situational and not spammable. The side b has an absolutely ludicrous damage. Wolf's old usmash was an effective oos so changing it to be like PM's is a no. I do prefer the Nair from PM tho and that could be implemented. My main problem is the damage output is all over the place and the neutral b idea.

Zuba Oki

Smash Apprentice
ok i didnt mean to nerf wolf's damage his side b has always been pretty powerful it's just hard to land
but anyway what changes would you make?

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Falco is actually more expendable than Wolf as Wolf is a villain and presents a more diverse moveset. He is essential to the cast as he is their true antihero/villain. That is like saying KD3 and MK are expendable.
again ill repeat myself. neither Wolf or Falco hold any significant importance over the other as they do play severely different roles within the series. one could argue that u should have the character who makes the most appearances, supports the hero and has significant prominance from each individual game. and these are things that would work in Falco's favor as he is in every Starfox since inception, he's a main supporting character and he's pretty prominent throughout most of said games. thus is the case for adding Luigi over Bowser in the original Smash only to add Bowser come Melee. where on the other side of the spectrum, a villain could be perceived favorable for a number of reasons ranging from overall differing stylistic or playable tone from the playable hero representative or a series to simply being the next logical character for the given series. i feel overall Wolf falls into the latter. not a bad thing as is the case with say Bowser or Peach to the Mario franchise. but again, this is all in perceptions of priority which is indicative to what people value overall. personally, i would go with support over villain if said support character was more than a one time character. but that is speaking for me.

now i feel i have to ONCE AGAIN, state that Wolf is in far less trouble than certain other characters. but he is more expendable than many other characters from the brawl roster.

p.s DDD and Meta Knight were THE next logical characters for Kirby. without a shadow of a doubt. thats a horrible example.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
again ill repeat myself. neither Wolf or Falco hold any significant importance over the other as they do play severely different roles within the series. one could argue that u should have the character who makes the most appearances, supports the hero and has significant prominance from each individual game. and these are things that would work in Falco's favor as he is in every Starfox since inception, he's a main supporting character and he's pretty prominent throughout most of said games. thus is the case for adding Luigi over Bowser in the original Smash only to add Bowser come Melee. where on the other side of the spectrum, a villain could be perceived favorable for a number of reasons ranging from overall differing stylistic or playable tone from the playable hero representative or a series to simply being the next logical character for the given series. i feel overall Wolf falls into the latter. not a bad thing as is the case with say Bowser or Peach to the Mario franchise. but again, this is all in perceptions of priority which is indicative to what people value overall. personally, i would go with support over villain if said support character was more than a one time character. but that is speaking for me.

now i feel i have to ONCE AGAIN, state that Wolf is in far less trouble than certain other characters. but he is more expendable than many other characters from the brawl roster.

p.s DDD and Meta Knight were THE next logical characters for Kirby. without a shadow of a doubt. thats a horrible example.
Wolf has been a staple in the franchise since his debut to the public in 64. He has gained a enough of a following and is not as expendable as you make him out to be. Wolf was the next logical step in the Starfox franchise as would Goroh for the F-Zero franchise. I personally go villains over support and Luigi would not exactly fall under support as he is not a silly NPC and gets his own games ad what not.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Without getting into debates over who's more likely...assume both are in. Under this condition, who do you think would be revealed first: Falco or Wolf?

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
You're on a Wolf board asking us, probably smashers biased towards liking ie our thought is process: Wolf>Falco. I think (hope) Wolf goes before Falco. Wolf may just be a hastily rushed character again tho....no need to rush.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I'm sure they'll show Falco again first, much as I would like Wolf to be revealed before him.

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
In my (humble) opinion, Wolf was a bit overpowering, thus if he returns (likely), he will be nerfed. The landmaster in general was overpowering,. If you have a player on top you can fly them off the map and get up to two KOs for everybody.
His moveset is fine, I think. He was seperate enough from Fox and Falco with his bulkier feel.

Top Bottom