• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can't Let you cut me Sakurai, Wolf for DLC

shane3x

Saint of Swords
Not necessarily, It could mean we have 6 more to go (2 probably being pre-planned) with a second row added to the right, Just shrink the portraits a little (They already did this with Roy and Ryu) and move some characters up a row. Push Zelda up a row, then push the 2 on the start of the third row up etc etc and add the rest on the bottom
Someone did do an analysis in this thread before looking at the character select screen and how it could be rearranged and added and those did support smaller numbers, there is also a section on it here: http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/06/21/the-end-of-smash-dlc/

StormC

Smash Hero
To me, the ballot would be a huge misfire on Nintendo's part if they only add 1-2 characters from its early life and then go "btw the rest of the votes are just consideration for 5mash." The ballot clearly states at the top "Do you want your favorite video-game character to join the battle in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U?" Not "Do you want your favorite video game character to be in a future Smash game?" If they weren't going to have payoff for the whole six months, why run it that long?

PurpleSoda

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KingQuagsire101
Not necessarily, It could mean we have 6 more to go (2 probably being pre-planned) with a second row added to the right, Just shrink the portraits a little (They already did this with Roy and Ryu) and move some characters up a row. Push Zelda up a row, then push the 2 on the start of the third row up etc etc and add the rest on the bottom
What about the 3DS version,the screen is full

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I'm Community Manager, what do you want me to do for you guys and Wolf?
- Don't expect me doing the Change petition that soon since I don't know how to express my English 100%.
- The moment you create something like that I'll try supporting that project to be popular.
How about try to be more supportive.

shane3x

Saint of Swords
To me, the ballot would be a huge misfire on Nintendo's part if they only add 1-2 characters from its early life and then go "btw the rest of the votes are just consideration for 5mash." The ballot clearly states at the top "Do you want your favorite video-game character to join the battle in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS/Wii U?" Not "Do you want your favorite video game character to be in a future Smash game?" If they weren't going to have payoff for the whole six months, why run it that long?
That's the beauty of language, things can easily be framed in one manner but they can take on multiple meanings, have hidden meanings etc. They would never publicly say "lol we only are using 2 and the rest we will save for possibly another day". I imagine it was run for the length it is due to the fact if it was any shorter people would demand "results" or characters to be released based on that in a much shorter timeframe then they could actually produce ballot characters *and* the current DLC we had so far. 6 months is more then enough time to get results and at least start work so when the ballot does end they can release it within a reasonable timeframe afterwards.

Think about it this way, when October comes around and Sakurai does a special video or something to announced the winners and goes "As a result of your votes the following characters will be joining the battle, X, Y and Z" people will be sad that their individual favourites weren't picked but no-one is going to go "oh man this is lame why didn't they put 6+ characters in?" they will be more invested into who did get in and the fact they had a voice at all. This is the first time fans in the west have actively been able to contribute to suggestions as previously its only been japan that had a direct fan poll for suggestions.

For those who don't get in via the Ballot, Should they ban them from ever being in any future smash games because of some vague interpretation? Of course not, they'd naturally be considered for any future games and DLC. Fans don't need to know every single aspect of development and production.

What about the 3DS version,the screen is full
Since every player has their own screen they aren't restricted to the same design principles as the Wii U version, so as suggested already arrows and other redesigns not practical for the Wii U would be fine for 3DS.

Last edited:

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I think 5 max to make the roster an even 60.

60 Characters is pretty good I think. Wolf is most likely be one plus one other pre ballet character for August and October (though not necessarily in that order). I could see Ice Climbers being the other pre ballet character if Sakurai got them to work on 3DS.

Other then that, K. Rool will probably be one of the 3 Ballet characters but the last two are a mystery. I could see one being Inkling maybe though. The last probably Snake if Sakurai is willing to do more third party characters. Though speaking of third party characters, maybe he could do Banjo-Kazooie or Rayman but I'm not sure.

Last edited:

shane3x

Saint of Swords
I think 5 max to make the roster an even 60.

60 Characters is pretty good I think. Wolf is most likely be one plus one other pre ballet character for August and October (though not necessarily in that order). I could see Ice Climbers being the other pre ballet character if Sakurai got them to work on 3DS.

Other then that, K. Rool will probably be one of the 3 Ballet characters but the last two are a mystery. I could see one being Inkling maybe though. The last probably Snake if Sakurai is willing to do more third party characters. Though speaking of third party characters, maybe he could do Banjo-Kazooie or Rayman but I'm not sure.
I think they'd add characters based on resources available, how long Sakurai is contracted to make DLC for and the standard smash criteria. 60 is a nice even number, but seems like an arbitrary target. It's already contributed to characters like Dark Pit and Doctor Mario who are in to pad the original roster rather then merit or fan request.

We have 51 original characters (including the Mii's). 9 DLC characters plus the stages and the mii outfits would exceed the cost of the game itself. You'd have a lot of people quoting that Nintendo wanted to provide value, not have fans feel like content was nickle and dimed, not wanting to do DLC at all etc...

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
For both games, it's almost 45 dollars for all DLC right now. So two characters and the two N64 stages would bring us to ~60 dollars, and then you throw in random Mii Fighter costumes and anything else... well, both games are 100 dollars, so I doubt the DLC will reach that amount. So we'll see.

shane3x

Saint of Swords
For both games, it's almost 45 dollars for all DLC right now. So two characters and the two N64 stages would bring us to ~60 dollars, and then you throw in random Mii Fighter costumes and anything else... well, both games are 100 dollars, so I doubt the DLC will reach that amount. So we'll see.
Value of DLC will be compared to an individual game/version and not both.

Could you imagine Nintendo trying to pull "DLC only costs $75 yet 2 separate versions of the game costs $100 so you are still getting value for your base game. Please understand and ignore the fact most people would only have one copy of either version and not both".

That wouldn't go down well at all =p

PurpleSoda

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KingQuagsire101
I think they'd add characters based on resources available, how long Sakurai is contracted to make DLC for and the standard smash criteria. 60 is a nice even number, but seems like an arbitrary target. It's already contributed to characters like Dark Pit and Doctor Mario who are in to pad the original roster rather then merit or fan request.

We have 51 original characters (including the Mii's). 9 DLC characters plus the stages and the mii outfits would exceed the cost of the game itself. You'd have a lot of people quoting that Nintendo wanted to provide value, not have fans feel like content was nickle and dimed, not wanting to do DLC at all etc...
FREE DLC,FRESH FROM THE DISH WASHER,EVERYTHING WENT HOT PINK

shane3x

Saint of Swords
This is why Free DLC exists
FREE DLC,FRESH FROM THE DISH WASHER,EVERYTHING WENT HOT PINK
Haha, Free. That's cute. Have we gotten anything free besides Miiverse stage? I assume Tournament mode will be free but seems like most things will be paid.

Two characters and stages + previous DLC bundles would already exceed the price of the 3DS game.
Nintendo is much better at getting people to focus on the content as opposed to the consumer economics of it. Plenty of 3DS games have DLC that costs more than the game itself. Look at games from EA, Ubisoft etc.. where they focus on the value of DLC, value of the base game etc. Compared that to Nintendo 3DS games and no-one seems to really care.

Nintendo definitely generally speaking does better at these sorts of things value wise but shouldn't be exempt from analysis on things.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Haha, Free. That's cute. Have we gotten anything free besides Miiverse stage? I assume Tournament mode will be free but seems like most things will be paid.

Nintendo is much better at getting people to focus on the content as opposed to the consumer economics of it. Plenty of 3DS games have DLC that costs more than the game itself. Look at games from EA, Ubisoft etc.. where they focus on the value of DLC, value of the base game etc. Compared that to Nintendo 3DS games and no-one seems to really care.

Nintendo definitely generally speaking does better at these sorts of things value wise but shouldn't be exempt from analysis on things.
My point is that you were saying Nintendo won't want the DLC pricing to exceed the base game - but that's gonna already happen from what we know anyway.

shane3x

Saint of Swords
My point is that you were saying Nintendo won't want the DLC pricing to exceed the base game - but that's gonna already happen from what we know anyway.
I don't think it will. There's three different scales in play due to the pricing differences in the versions and also if you consider both copies of the same at the same time. I don't think any of their Wii U games have DLC that costs more then the base game. While 3DS they seem to think is fair game to have DLC cost more than the base game doesn't appear to be the case with the Wii U.

While it has happened with the 3DS version, Nintendo's discussion and advertising centre's around the Wii U version which is the superior version of the game and considered the standard/main since Smash has predominately been a Console series. That's where the true test lies.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Offering DLC at such a ridiculously high price would be the worst thing Nintendo has ever done in gaming history. No way I would pay that much just to add more content to a game.

shane3x

Saint of Swords
Sorry. I don't know what's going on here anyways. I just got back from work.
Federation Force is the newly announced Metroid Prime that essentially has the branding but is a MP soccer game using Samus blasters. Essentially Nintendo's been blasted for it by fans.

swordofacorn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swordofacorn
3DS FC
0216-0878-5036
Federation Force is the newly announced Metroid Prime that essentially has the branding but is a MP soccer game using Samus blasters. Essentially Nintendo's been blasted for it by fans.
You know the soccer part is a mini game, and the main game is missions based in the prime universe shooting eneming and such, right?

shane3x

Saint of Swords
You know the soccer part is a mini game, and the main game is missions based in the prime universe shooting eneming and such, right?
Ah yes I always forget to include the blast ball name when referencing the soccer bit. Still not a samus game or a metroidvania (which I dont think well see a console metroidvania game anyway).

I'm sure it won't be terrible, probably saving the real stuff for NX.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Offering DLC at such a ridiculously high price would be the worst thing Nintendo has ever done in gaming history. No way I would pay that much just to add more content to a game.
The worst thing? Adding optional overpriced DLC to a finished game? Nintendo has done a lot worse in the last 35 years.

PurpleSoda

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KingQuagsire101
Mewtwo and the Splatoon costumes were technically not free for some people,but your right Tourney Mode should be free like the Miiverse stage.
P.S:I think Wolf could be free if you preorder Star Fox:Zero,if not $3.99 or wherever you are in the world,to download him
ALSO:Sakurai has said stuff in the past,so I agree that Free DLC is not gonna happen,but it is a possibillity,a small one tho.

Last edited:

shane3x

Saint of Swords
The worst thing? Adding optional overpriced DLC to a finished game? Nintendo has done a lot worse in the last 35 years.
Let's not go into relative privation. It should be addressed for its own set of circumstances and the issues that it presents. Although yes it's not the worst thing they have ever done.

Mewtwo and the Splatoon costumes were technically not free for some people,but your right Tourney Mode should be free like the Miiverse stage.
P.S:I think Wolf could be free if you preorder Star Fox:Zero,if not $3.99 or wherever you are in the world,to download him
ALSO:Sakurai has said stuff in the past,so I agree that Free DLC is not gonna happen,but it is a possibillity,a small one tho.
Yeah I didn't specifically include them because not everyone got them for free. Miiverse is the only global thing that was free. Yeah it's been mentioned a few times about a possible offer such as pre-ordering to get Wolf early/free too. Hopefully that is the case. I don't think Free DLC is impossible, just don't expect it for certain types of content like characters or stages or that it will be as equally numerous as the paid DLC.

CaptainJimmBob

Smash Journeyman
Look: Bottom line is, regardless of what happens, regardless of how many gets in, we need to remain hopeful and supportive of Wolf. Even if he is the only remaining DLC character, we should never adopt a negative attitude like I see some certain people (*cough* Wolfiv *cough*) already have.

shane3x

Saint of Swords
Look: Bottom line is, regardless of what happens, regardless of how many gets in, we need to remain hopeful and supportive of Wolf. Even if he is the only remaining DLC character, we should never adopt a negative attitude like I see some certain people (*cough* Wolfiv *cough*) already have.
No real reason to be doubtful currently anyway and like you say to keep optimistic regardless. Only time you'd be valid in worrying would be if Star Fox Zero comes out, Smash Ballot is finished and characters are announced from it, Sakurai says they are done with DLC and we still have zero announcement or release date for Wolf.

Not sure that many people are doubtful or have that negative attitude, most people in pretty much all the threads you see see Wolf as When not If.

Although at that point it just transitions into a Smash 5 request as opposed to DLC for Smash 4.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I think the biggest issue Wolf faces is if Sakurai, for whatever reason, doesn't want to make a veteran from the ballot.

Wolfiv

Smash Journeyman
How about try to be more supportive.
Not saying I support Wolf more than you but, have you ever thought about Change petition just like me? Why does nobody create one then? It could reach full petitions if you want. ;)
That + ballot are the only little stuff you could do for Wolf if everybody cares about him that much.

I'm not being negative for Wolf, I'm just being pessimistic because nothing about Wolf being playable was found.

Last edited:

Dragoncharystary

Smash Lord
Not saying I support Wolf more than you but, have you ever thought about Change petition just like me? Why does nobody create one then? It could reach full petitions if you want. ;)
That + ballot are the only little stuff you could do for Wolf if everybody cares about him that much.

I'm not being negative for Wolf, I'm just being pessimistic because nothing about Wolf being playable was found.
At this moment I would suspect wolf being held off 'till around Star Fox Zero.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Right now, I'll just remain hopeful that he would return eventually especially with Star Fox Zero coming out in the holidays. If he doesn't by the time they announce no more DLC is coming, then it's too bad.

PurpleSoda

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KingQuagsire101

There being safe with this one,imagine if the data miners found this:

bgm.ganggall.nus3bank
bgm.bluct.nus3bank
st.cerucave.nus3bank
st.ganggall.nus3bank
char.wolf.nus3bank
char.krool.nus3bank

Since I don't know what the codes are I'll tell you what they are

bgm.ganggall.nus3bank=Gangplank Galleon Theme
bgm.bluct.nus3bank=Blue's champion theme
st.cerucave.nus3bank=Cerulean Cave
st.ganggall.nus3bank=Gangplank Galleon(you know)
char.wolf.nus3bank=Guess Who?
char.krool.nus3bank=King K.Rool

Top Bottom