• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cancelled uair to CS: Inescapable?

Psydon

Smash Journeyman
I haven't tested it yet, but I think this might be an inescapable, though somewhat difficult to execute, air-to-ground finishing combo for Samus.

You need a fully charged shot for this. When your opponent is on the ground or very close to the ground, do your uair when you're close to your opponent and the ground. Mash B as your opponent is trapped in the uair, and for the move's duration. When you hit the ground, the move will cancel (it is imperative that the uair cancels before the last hit), and since Samus' airs have no landing lag you'll automatically shoot your charged shot. Your opponent will still be right in front of you and stunned by the uair's initial hits, unable to avoid the blast.

And it looks pretty awesome, too. =)

This might have other applications as well. Cancelled uair to a smash attack? To Up+B? To a grab? To jab (which would lead to an extended combo string)? To SH uair or nair?

khoasgotrice

Smash Cadet
interesting but a uair is hard to land on an opponent on the ground. they will mostlikely just smash you or roll back and smash. i dont see this combo landing much, but ill give it a try. im not going to try it on a marth(or anyone with a disjointed hitbox for that matter) though cuz ill get punished more than ill land it.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
This can be done more effectively with fair, because the hitbox is infront of you. Of course, you will still need to land before the last flame hits and sends them flying. Though I admit, it's more flashy with uair, but less effective.

In addition, nair can perform the job as well due to it's characteristics changed to make it more like Fox's nair, only Samus falls slower. You can land nair for some light stun before adding a charge shot to finish it.

Lastly, zair performs this job the best due to it's range. The above aerials work but can be dodged or shielded if your opponent reacts appropriately. However, if you land zair on your opponent who just executed their double jump, the charge shot is ensured.

Samus is a comboing beast, with a few kinks here and there due to brawl's absence of hitstun.

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
Uair is actually one of the best air to ground approaches to pull off if you know how to use it properly.

While I really don't think this is inescapable (Like anything really is in this game...), it is HARD to escape, so a viable tactic nonetheless.

I use uair's to utilts a lot, works well.

Psydon

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the input, people. ^^

I realized yesterday that this might work really well with platform cancelling, especially in levels like Shadow Moses or Hanenbow.

Boolossus

Smash Ace
Uair is actually one of the best air to ground approaches to pull off if you know how to use it properly.

While I really don't think this is inescapable (Like anything really is in this game...), it is HARD to escape, so a viable tactic nonetheless.

Yes, yes they do. x-x

Volke

Smash Rookie
Yes, Uair to Utilt is awsome. Combine that with platforms like Battlefield or Shadow Moses and you have some solid attacks. Interesting idea with the CS. I'll have to try it.

Psydon

Smash Journeyman

The reason why I'd say it's inescapable isn't necessarily because the uair's hits keep the opponent in one spot. In the first frame of Samus' CS where the blast actually appears, just as in Melee and 64, the entire ball just comes out of nowhere and is right in front of Samus' face and above her Arm Cannon. It's that massive hitbox in such close quarters that, at least in my mind, might make it impossible to escape; even if they DI away a little and get hit with the very edge of the blast it doesn't matter (it's the same reason why in Melee an unteched D-throw to CS was in a large number of cases inescapable; even if they tried to DI away the large radius of the CS would catch them).

Dobs1007

Smash Ace
U-Air is very good can follow up with variety of things. When opponent was at 0 i was able to do U-Air to charge shot followed with grab down throw read di and follow with f-air for around 50 damage combo. Any way I agree with Hugs and other post that U-air is good approach and can lead to a variety of things with charge shot and U-tilt being some of them.

Top Bottom