• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Canadian Tournaments, see you there!

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
NoA= North America right? Unless I'm wrong about the abreviation. Anyways, Canada is in North America.... >_>
NoA = Nintendo of America

NoA does handle most of the big stuff in North America, but Canada has it's own Nintendo of Canada (located in Richmond BC) that does Canadian promotions and distribution.

BokutoGuy

Smash Journeyman

NoA does handle most of the big stuff in North America, but Canada has it's own Nintendo of Canada (located in Richmond BC) that does Canadian promotions and distribution.
Oh, ok thanks, are you going to one of the tournies?

MrLegend

Smash Apprentice

I've been to the one in Richmond. They have a badass Link statue as soon as you go through the front doors.

AntonieFC

Smash Cadet
There is no info besides that it will be 4 minute timed matches (uncertain on with or without stock as well)
Compete by timed eliminations with a "last one standing" concept
I think it will be a timed stock match. The logical setup would be 8:00 minutes, 4 stock, 1 vs. 1.

Of course we don't know if it's 1 vs. 1, or 3 for fall, or if it's a 4 person Brawl. Either way I think it will be stock. I mean timed matches are the sucks.

BokutoGuy

Smash Journeyman
I think it will be a timed stock match. The logical setup would be 8:00 minutes, 4 stock, 1 vs. 1.

Of course we don't know if it's 1 vs. 1, or 3 for fall, or if it's a 4 person Brawl. Either way I think it will be stock. I mean timed matches are the sucks.
It will have a four minute time limit, I know that for sure, I saw that on the poster (which is really cool).

The sign up may be crowded, what do you think?

AntonieFC

Smash Cadet
It will have a four minute time limit, I know that for sure, I saw that on the poster (which is really cool).

The sign up may be crowded, what do you think?
I really have no clue how they're gunna run this. Everyone who's serious about it in Edmonton will come here to play. And there's already a fairly large (10-30 people) competitive smash community within the city.

I'm guessing for preliminaries, they'll be throwing us into 4 player free for alls, once or twice to make cuts for preliminary. Definitely will be crowded though, but I'm guessing the bulk of it will be noobs attracted by adds in-store.

Arcsine

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sercerfer
Heh I guess I'll just have to catch a bus to Vancouver to compete, but I'm sure it'll be worth it. Now I just need to trick some friends into holding me up for a couple nights......

Noypi_GjD

Smash Journeyman
Heh I guess I'll just have to catch a bus to Vancouver to compete, but I'm sure it'll be worth it. Now I just need to trick some friends into holding me up for a couple nights......
Where are you from? You need to check out the BC Canada thread later =)

Originally Posted by MrLegend View Post
I've been to the one in Richmond. They have a badass Link statue as soon as you go through the front doors.
Good luck... if your going to the Richmond Center one, they got a tough crew down there.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Guys, this tournament just went from awesome to SUPER DUPER AWESOME. The rules have been released!

Contestants must be 13 years of age or older to participate.

Only one entry per person is allowed.

Nintendo will supply contestants with Wii remotes to participate in the tournament. No personal equipment allowed.

Ranking will be at random.

Contestants may not choose their own characters.

Contestants have a pre-determined number of “lives” per match. Winner is the last player with live(s) available.

Gonna be great! :laugh:

:dizzy:

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

WaffleGuyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Guys, this tournament just went from awesome to SUPER DUPER AWESOME. The rules have been released!

Contestants must be 13 years of age or older to participate.

Only one entry per person is allowed.

Nintendo will supply contestants with Wii remotes to participate in the tournament. No personal equipment allowed.

Ranking will be at random.

Contestants have a pre-determined number of “lives” per match. Winner is the last player with live(s) available.

Gonna be great! :laugh:

:dizzy:

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
They give us a whole month to practice a character. Then they don't let us choose them. What in the- Well at least I meet the age requirement.

Nightsama

Smash Rookie

What?

What kind of crap is this, I've never heard of a fighting game tourney with forced random. I was really psyched to give this a shot but now I'm not so sure. At least it puts everybody on pretty even terms unless someone lucks out and gets their main, but still it seems like a weird idea. :ohwell:

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
^ why even toss it around at all.

This tournament is the biggest noobfest I've ever had the misfortune of hearing about.

& it hasn't even happened yet.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Yeah, we have some posts on this in the Tournament Discussion and Canada boards. The No Character Choice rule really, really annoys me. Worst decision ever.

http://www.nintendo.ca/brawl has the rules
I thought Giving rights to Phillips to use LoZ and Mario characters on the CD-i was bad call. Ohh well I think this tourney is for people who can adapt. Looks like i gotta play SSE for 6 hours then..

WaffleGuyPerson

Smash Journeyman
This might've been alright if we had more time. 1 month to learn every character in case you got them? I mean, I'm alright randoming in Melee because I've had so much time with the game, but I'm not so sure how this is gonna work out.

rabbet

Smash Cadet
this is, in no way, a "competitve tournament" its more of a promotional "thing"

but since i live in heartland imma enter just so that i can have a chance at winning me one of them swanky smash bros t-shirt.... unless i have to pay to register...

so yeah NOT A COMPETITIVE TOURNEY, its just for fun... plus if no serious players show up MORE CHANCE OF WINNING ME A T-SHIRT.................. yay

Nightsama

Smash Rookie
^ why even toss it around at all.

This tournament is the biggest noobfest I've ever had the misfortune of hearing about.

& it hasn't even happened yet.
Well I'm still kind of tempted, I've been playing melee for a fair bit of time but never in a real competitive environment, it'd still probably be an interesting experience. But yeah as has been said, this seems more promotional than a serious test of playing ability and that bums me out, I was really looking forward to bringing the game home on march 9th and playing the crap out of it to practice. I could practically hear the montage music from Rocky playing in my head.

rabbet

Smash Cadet
8. Prizes:

Regional Semi-Finalists (45): A total of 45 winners (nine (9) from each Regional Semi-final) will receive a Smash Bros. Brawl tournament T-shirt. The approximate retail value of the T-shirts is: $30.00 CAD and is subject to change based on current market conditions at the time of prize fulfillment.

National Finalists (5): The five (5) National Finalists will each receive a trip from their home city to Toronto, ON. The trip will include round-trip airfare from an airport of Nintendo’s choice within Canada and lodging at a hotel of Nintendo’s choice within the Toronto metro area. The approximate retail value of each of the Finalists’ prizes is $2,000.00 CAD and is subject to change based on current market conditions at the time of prize fulfillment.

Grand Prize (1): The Grand Prize Winner will receive a trip for two (2) to the Nintendo World Store in New York City, NY, USA. The Grand Prize trip will include round-trip airfare for two (2) from an airport of Nintendo’s choice within Canada to New York City, two (2) nights hotel for two (2) at a hotel of Nintendo’s choice within the New York City metro area, and $500.00 CADspending money. (lol, seeing how well the CAD dollar is doing that actually sounds better than it really seems) The approximate retail value of the Grand Prize is $4,500.00 CAD and is subject to change based on current market conditions at the time of prize fulfillment.
this actually sounds like a lot of fun even if u just make it to nationals

aaron123

Smash Cadet
Now Canada has two great things! This, and Rush.

Oh...and medicare....and stricter gun laws...and..

Ah sh--.

Your Hero

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1392-4236-0236
OMG there's one so close to my house!! :] heartland is probably a 5-10min walk from my house.

Maybe I'll go, it would be my first tourny lol :p.

EDIT:
National Finalists (5): The five (5) National Finalists will each receive a trip from their home city to Toronto, ON. The trip will include round-trip airfare from an airport of Nintendo’s choice within Canada and lodging at a hotel of Nintendo’s choice within the Toronto metro area. The approximate retail value of each of the Finalists’ prizes is $2,000.00 CAD and is subject to change based on current market conditions at the time of prize fulfillment.
And that just ruined my happiness. Why host a tourny in Mississauga if Toronto is only a 30minute drive :(.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
woah i wish i could go in there is no tournament in Winnipeg and i am under the age limit :(
If you're under 13, you're also under the age limit to be here... or any internet message board.

this is, in no way, a "competitve tournament" its more of a promotional "thing"

but since i live in heartland imma enter just so that i can have a chance at winning me one of them swanky smash bros t-shirt.... unless i have to pay to register...

so yeah NOT A COMPETITIVE TOURNEY, its just for fun... plus if no serious players show up MORE CHANCE OF WINNING ME A T-SHIRT.................. yay
It's obvious this isn't a competitive tournament. It's been obvious since before the rules were anounced. Random character is still COMPLETELY out of left field and completely stupid. WiiMote Only? Bad, but expected. Free For Alls? Bad, but expected. Items? Not confirmed, probably on, expected. Random Character? WHAAAT?

Darkslash

Smash Master
If you're under 13, you're also under the age limit to be here... or any internet message board.

It's obvious this isn't a competitive tournament. It's been obvious since before the rules were anounced. Random character is still COMPLETELY out of left field and completely stupid. WiiMote Only? Bad, but expected. Free For Alls? Bad, but expected. Items? Not confirmed, probably on, expected. Random Character? WHAAAT?
Yea Random characters were the nail in the board saying PROMO PROMO PROMO

Anth0ny

Smash Master
I could imagine some Nintendo rep sounding like a complete ****** talking to the participants.

"Luckily for you, you didn't even have to pack your controllers for today! We're going to supply the Wiimotes to you!"

*expects applause. nothing*

"All right, let's get this going. Hmm...I know! Player one! Please select Donkey Kong! Player two! Diddy Kong! And pick Rumble Falls! It's going to be an all out Donkey Kong BRAWL!"

I could honestly picture it.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
I could imagine some Nintendo rep sounding like a complete ****** talking to the participants.

"Luckily for you, you didn't even have to pack your controllers for today! We're going to supply the Wiimotes to you!"

*expects applause. nothing*

"All right, let's get this going. Hmm...I know! Player one! Please select Donkey Kong! Player two! Diddy Kong! And pick Rumble Falls! It's going to be an all out Donkey Kong BRAWL!"

I could honestly picture it.
They don't pick. It's random as stated in the full rules and regulations. I'm going to ask whoever's running it if we can all choose if we all agree to do so.

Ulevo

Smash Master
This defeats the entire purpose of the tournament scene. I was really pleased when I read "13 and older", but the rest sort of ruined it for me. I wonder if the rules will change depending upon how far you advance. Maybe for the Regional Semi-Finals, you will be able to choose Characters and so forth.

The wii-mote is a terrible idea, as certain characters suffer from this more so then the overall general cast. Peach players for example, won't be able to abuse their float at any desired height. I can also picture people struggling to hop around properly, have to press up on the D-pad for every jump.

I'm still going though, so I will see you people at Toronto.

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
Crap...this is a bad start for my first tournament. V_V I was really looking forward to thinking of strategies and combos to use for Meta Knight or Olimar, but now I'm going to have to wh0re myself to every character in order to have a decent chance of winning...

Well, I'm a casual, and I didn't really have a main in Melee, so I'm used to randoming. But I'm gonna be f***ing pissed if I get Lucas, because I was horrible with Ness in Melee and Lucas should be no different.

Top Bottom