• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can you use smash DI to get out of the nair?

ADHD

Smash Hero
I've always tried to use normal DI and I move around in the nair, but I can never escape. So I'm wondering if smash DI can make you escape.

SAID!

Smash Rookie
I would assume its smashing a direction when you get hit moving further in that direction than normal DI but Ive never heard of it before...

Tenki

Smash Hero
I've always tried to use normal DI and I move around in the nair, but I can never escape. So I'm wondering if smash DI can make you escape.
Pretty much, move opposite the direction Snake is moving, + up

So if Snake is falling towards you, then up+towards

But generally, up+away will work, unless he's rising lol

Tenki

Smash Hero
read moar.

Smash DI :

When you take a hit, there are frames of hitlags where you're frozen and stay in place before being sent flying. The number of hitlag frames varies between 2-3 up to around 18 with Samus's Fully Charged Shot, or burner hits in BtT stages.

During those frame, you can move around using Smash DI.
If you smash the Control Stick in one direction, your character will move instantly in that direction. It doesn't go very far, but it can still save your life sometimes.

If the hit is techable, Smash DI can be used to move yourself into a wall or a ceiling and you'll be able to tech. If you miss the tech, you might bounce on the wall/ceiling
However Smash DIing into the ground can't make you tech (it would clearly be broken)

Forbidden Smash DI :

If you are on the ground and are hit by a non-techable move that sends you horizontally or downwards, you won't be able to Smash DI up.
I call this Forbidden Smash DI. It would in fact be broken because you would take the hit airborne, you would land on the ground without any stun.
The developpers saw this and prevented that from happening.
Forbidden Smash DI makes sure you stay stunned on the ground when you're hit by Fox's Aerial Down A, Fox's shine or any other relatively weak hit nailing you into the ground.
(However I've seen CPUs breaking that rule in Adventure mode )

Multiple Smash DIing :

If you are fast with the control stick you can sometimes input several Smash DIs
This is basically what you do when you use the so-called "Quarter-circle DI".

In the Perfect Control Video, there is a clip where a Mario on Jungle Japes takes a Charge Shot from the left, use Smash DI on each frame of hitlag alternating between down-left and up-left, and finally Smash DIs up into a ceiling and wall-tech-jumps there.
That thread was for Melee, but the SDI information is still very applicable in Brawl.

bman in 2288

Smash Journeyman
Tenki's got it good. That's all you really need to know.

And in general, for good DI, hold the control stick in a direction perpendicular to your actual flight path ( whichever direction is farther away from you getting killed).

Top Bottom