• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

can you record video games on a DVR?

LLDL

Smash Hero
I mean a DVR, not a DVD recorder. I was thinking of using my dvr to record smash at tourneys, dvrs have 160gb of space thats 20 hours of footage and you don't have to worry about sound or video being corrupted. Then when i get home i could use a capture card or cable straight from the dvr and the quality will be twice as good as normally (I bring a vcr and record on tapes at tourneys). Do they only work for tv programs, or can I use the input to record a console to the dvr and have it record the gameplay?

Sraigux

Smash Journeyman
I don't have any knowledge. But I do not think you can. I'm pretty sure it just intercepts the signal from cable and decodes it and saves it into the box and than feeds it into the tv.

Frames

DI
i dont own a dvr so idk for sure but i guess you could most dvr's have some kind of video input so you should be able to just run it through the tivo or whatever and record it...idk

edit - if you own the dvr just hook ur gc up to it and try it like with a test match or something

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master
Simplest answer: It depends on whether or not your DVR has an "Input Select" button.

(NB it may be called "TV Input" or some other button along those lines.)

Ask your Cable/Satellite provider about this and they should be able to point you in the right direction...

Top Bottom