• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

can you guys help my game and answer a few questions?

dak0tah

Smash Cadet
i dunno, these threads always seem to come off as noobish, but i had a few points i needed clarifying on, so say what you will.

first, tele-stepping and lightstepping. i can scar just fine, consistently, etc. but ive tried jumping to quick illusion, dropping and illusion just after/before when you would scar, jumping backwards to illusion, and a few more, and ive found random results all around. sometimes they works, sometimes they dont. is there a more detailed/easier description of how to do them? and where exactly is the sweetspot for lightstepping? am i trying to hit the edge? just above? just below?

second, my fox trot. am i correct that this is essentially just tapping the control stock in one direction with the correct rhythm? is this useful to wolf, and is there another purpose than just being able to run up and fsmash or dsmash?

next, what are some good aerials for RAR other than bair? is there an advantage to a backwards dair spike off the edge? or can you get on the other side of them and fair them in the direction you just came from? and whats the best attack for a ledge hop?(i hope im calling it right, the one where when your hanging, you pull back and jump over the ledge with an aerial) im guessing just a nair for the combo potentiallity, but a fair could give you a second to recover i guess.

can someone also explain when exactly you hit the A button for a gliding toss? i play with a lot of casual friends who prefer items on, so this is important, as well as my secondary is Diddy, so this applys doubly to his bananas.

last(i promise) the upthrow seems to give a bit of height for potential follow up, but i havnt seen too much emphasis on this from the community. why is this? i play against usually light charactors, so i may just be misjudging it, but at zero percent, olimar is very easily set up for another quick hit, probably more if done right.

sorry for the wall of text, but thanks for whatever help you can offer. im signing off for the night in a few, but ill be reading this first thing in the morning.

edit - illusion canceling. mash special button or specific timing? certain number of pushes in set time determines how long or exactly which frame you push it in determines? i can cancel it consistently, but not at a set length, sometimes medium, sometimes short. thought of this right before heading to bed. good night.

Bocks

Smash Apprentice
read my thread, answers almost all of that + has a vid showing timing / decent tutorial, i don't knwo about the dliding toss =( nvr gave it any attention, and about RAR aerials, as far as im concerned it doesn't change the dair, but i've caught myself instinctively using the fair

dak0tah

Smash Cadet
ok, id read the thread but hadnt noticed the video, which helped with my illusion canceling and telestepping(haha, i just like that name more), but i could still use help with my fox trot and gliding toss, and some uthrow oppinions would be nice.

Hose A

Smash Cadet
I wasn't able to foxtrot in melee, and I still can't now. I honestly don't think it's important to Wolf's game that much. It may be, it my not be.

Not sure what you mean by gliding toss. You mean catching an item while it's in midair? I just hit a as I pass the item or the item comes in contact with me. It seems more difficult in this game than in Melee, it seems like you need to be more precise with your timing.

No idea for upthrow combos. I just see how high they go on the throw and judge it from there.

For ledge hopping: I rarely use F-air. The lag when Wolf hit's the ground isn't worth it. N-air seems to be the best bet because of the lack of lag.

dak0tah

Smash Cadet
from what i understand, the fox trot is more crucial in brawl, so even though i never even tried it in melee, im puttin more emphasis on it now.

the gliding toss is throwing an item mid-roll. ive seen vids but still cant get the god**** timing and havnt even done it once. the closet ive gotten is if you hit A too early, it cancels the roll and throws the item instead. found that out on accident, but is a good mindgame, they go to punish the roll and instead take an item to the face.

ive been doin my own studies on the throws and (against MK anyway) they fly almost too far to follow up, and the bthrow to illusion combo is almost useless as they fly too far upward.

nair is great ledge hop move, thanks.

does anyone use shake smash? it seems twitchy IMO, but i could just be moving too much, i dunno. and sometimes it fsmashes the wrong direction.

ok, side qwestion, why is my sig ****ed up? is there a length minimum im unaware of?

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
****... I came in here hoping to be super helpful, but... I'm more clueless than anything.

What are telestepping and lightstepping?
I'm guessing that is when you use the illusion to pop into the middle of the stage and when you use it to appear standing up right immediately next to the edge, respectively.

Fox Trotting, if I'm not mistaken, is repeatedly doing the opening dash animation by timing control stick clicks and to change direction you must dash dance. It just takes some timing to do, and if done correctly, I believe it is fast if not faster than running. Think of it as spacing... just as you would space for Marth's tipper. That's all, really, and fsmash and dsmash just happen to be the best examples of its use. However, grabbing is good, too. There is a video somewhere around here about it.

As for the RAR, the only real effective aerial is bair. I can recommend three alternatives, though. RAR through the enemy, as in, land behind them. You can use a fair (not really recommend) and if you do it quickly enough you will land after the attack has finished and incur no lag. Next, you can his a nair which can set you up for a jab or a dsmash. Since you landed behind them they can't grab you so you are pretty safe. Finally is a Uair. I'd recommend this only at medium percents and on tall characters. Uair can't hit small characters (Toon Link and Olimar) on ground level.

For ledge hopping, I would highly recommend to NOT NOT NOT use fair. Stupid idea. You will incur too much lag and just get grabbed or hit. I'd recommend a nair, bair, or, sometimes (but rarely), a dair. Uair most times will be impractical and miss, and fair creates too much lag.

Assuming I know what the Gliding Toss is (where you dodge roll and throw an item or whatever) I have no idea. It's completely impractical to the characters I use so I never tried it, but I watched videos of it. Sorry. Though, I'm still not entirely sure what it is. Could you explain?

Lastly, as for the up throw, I don't know why you don't hear much praise from it, but I can tell you why I don't praise it. There are better alternatives. Up throw hardly sets up for anything. Only at lower presents does it do this, and at lower presents I think down throw is a MUCH better option. Forward throw isn't too great, either, nor is back throw, except you could do some mindgames around that one and perphaps start a juggle. Down throw is the superior throw, IMO.

dak0tah

Smash Cadet
telestepping and lightstepping are explained in this thread

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=153116

thats just what he called them and it makes it easier to refer to them.

you pretty much understand the gliding toss, but i recently learned its only possible on certain charactors, so im waiting for a reply in a diff thread whether Wolf can or not, because i know diddy can and ive been unsuccesful with him as well

and i appreciate you input on fox trotting, RAR, and ledge hopping, ill start working what you said into my game, as well as use more dthrows. ive been using mainly bthrows untill now because it gives them less horizontal then an uthrow but (mostly) more vertical than a fthrow

edit: is the dash dance the same thing as a pivot? i was under the impression you cant DD in brawl...

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
You can dash dance, it is just entirely harder and less effective, and you can still pivot out of it.

You're welcome for the input. I actually have never tried to RAR any of the other things I mention to you (I only do it with Bair) so in giving you advice, I gave myself advice as well.

As far as the down throw goes, this is generally what I like to do:
Down thrown from about 0-5% you can do a jab combo and reach them with it. Somestimes it will hit and sometimes it won't. I often forward tilt after this.
At slightly higher percents, say, 6%-12% you can reach them with an ftilt. Usually only the tip of the attack will connect, but that is a good thing because it'll back them off and if they shield you won't be caught in lag.
If they are higher than this, but no more than say... 25%, you can reach with an fsmash. Doesn't mean it'll always hit, but you can. You can see me do some of this in this video here:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GOdZsj-P9x0

EDIT: Upon watching the video again, I noticed I didn't do a single down throw. Oh well.

Top Bottom