• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

can you get a pity final smash if you turn off items?

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
Yes you can get a pity final smash with items turned off, but only if the individual item "Smash Ball" is still turned on.

digitalmaster287

Smash Journeyman
So then as long as the Smash Ball is turned off Pity smashes cant happen? This is good news. If it could then I think that would be the last nail in the coffin for the competitive aspect of Brawl...

superninja

Smash Cadet
The only way I know of is using Dedede's forward-B, and throwing out a capsule with a Smash Ball in it. It's extremely unlikely to happen, but it CAN happen...

Infamaz

Smash Rookie
I've had computer players get a pity FS twice with my items turned off, I think the smash ball was turned off too.

Zeke

Smash Apprentice
The only way I know of is using Dedede's forward-B, and throwing out a capsule with a Smash Ball in it. It's extremely unlikely to happen, but it CAN happen...
That actually happened to me the first time I ever played as DeDeDe....and yes, items were off. Pretty crazy, really.

ares04

Smash Rookie
I had no idea Dedede's forward-B had the ability to throw capsules. He is starting to look like a more viable character.

ares04

Smash Rookie
could this become part of the new metagame?

Purposely losing, in hopes that you'll respawn with a pity final smash?

defsithe

Smash Ace
from the thread i just made and closed cuz i found this one.
ok so i was playing no time limit with falcon against a lvl 9 wario on pokemon stadium 2. both wario and stage were random. anyways so after while i respawned with smash ball glowing power and proceeded to use it, very confused like. i had the item setting on none. so anyone no whats up? i no dedede can throw smash balls if they r not off or wahtever. but respawning randomly with it?

has this happened to anyone else?

also playing falcon in melee is so much sexier. :(

ares04

Smash Rookie
defsithe , how many times did you die before you received the Pity FS?

fireb0rn

Smash Apprentice
I haven't ever got a capsule with DDD since I turned off all the items (before, I just had items set to not spawn) though maybe I just haven't played enough yet

ares04

Smash Rookie
This revelation on Dedede's forward-B could significantly changed the competitive aspect of Brawl.

We need to confirm or deconfirm this ASAP!

DanceTheSpears

Smash Rookie
I just ran through a 99 stock brawl with mario, marth, zelda and DK. By the time mario had run out of stocks, there were no pity smash spawns. DK was at 98, zelda and marth were around 33 stock each. I went in and selected "All Items: OFF" for the match.

If you compare that to http://smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=4145213&postcount=4 and the matches I ran through with "All Items: ON" you can see how drastic the complete lack of PS was. Scroll to the bottom to find where I ran through a somewhat similiar 50 stock match.

If even PS is disabled by turning all items off, I feel reasonably safe in assuming that DDD is nothing to worry about either. I highly doubt his pill could spawn a smash ball this way.

Solong

Smash Rookie
I recall seeing a thread on the Dedede forums where it was stated that if each individual item was turned off, rather than the item spawn rate being set to none, that his forward-B would not throw any items. This wasn't fully tested though.

6footninja

Smash Ace
Yep, my friend died 5 times before he got a pity smash. If anyone is looking for standards. Then again, some people didn't get them until losing by 10. I think when your down by 5+ deaths its random

Top Bottom