• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can somewhere in IL not in chicago host a *melee only or melee+brawl* tourney?

Dart

Smash Lord
IL step it up. chicago is not the only place capable of hosting tourneys. lets gooooooooo.
i just checked and there are 3 IL tourneys, everyone of them is in chicago or some suburb of chicago. thats hella wack.

inb4whydon'tyouhostthen?

because no one knows who i am, so if i hosted i would get 0 interest.

bottom line, IL not in chicago...STEP IT UP.

:dizzy::ohwell::urg:

Zozefup

Smash Lord
because there is no one in southern IL. And no one would go to a tournament there. There are no brawlers south of IL (until like Georgia).

Oro?!

Smash Hero
If southern IL didn't have problems hosting their own tourneys or going on a 3 hour drive up North w/o housing, then this thread wouldn't exist Zose. You sure like being ignorant about everything don't you?

Zozefup

Smash Lord
IL step it up. chicago is not the only place capable of hosting tourneys. lets gooooooooo.

Would you drive to Carbondale IL for a tournament? If there is interest, I will gladly host one.

If southern IL didn't have problems hosting their own tourneys or going on a 3 hour drive up North w/o housing, then this thread wouldn't exist Zose. You sure like being ignorant about everything don't you?
Chicago is a 5+ hour drive, not 3. It's much closer to drive to st. Louis or Indianapolis for a tournament. I haven't found a tournament within 3 hours from me in almost a year. I usually have to drive 6-8 hours for decent tournaments.

I can host tournaments no problem. Me, Rob Gambino, Chewy, and Ripple might show if I'm lucky. I might get a few st. louis players too. There is no way Chicago would drive 5 hours to a southern IL touranment. IN/Ohio/Kansas won't drive that far either. There is no one in KY with less than a 6 hour drive. And there are no brawlers anywhere in TN.

So basically, there are very few brawlers within a 5 hour radius of southern IL. Which makes it a bad place to host a tournament.

Dart

Smash Lord
Sadly zosefup i was mainly looking at the melee side, but if you did a melee+brawl thing i sure as hell would go.

Akashi

Smash Lord
In all honesty, the reason why Chicago hosts tourneys around Chicago is because all the good players reside here. Yeah you guys got Chewy, Rip, and a few others, but our community is much more diverse (WI/IL and now some of OH/MI) and our tourneys are harder (imo). I hope you guys do get a solid community down there and become active, but Chicago tourneys are the best tourneys because of the people who attend.

Akashi

Smash Lord
About 70% of our PW, but to name a few...

Arty, Quik, Ook, Kain, Me, Kirk, DLA, Scythe, and Meneil just to name a few.

edit: lmao just to check to see if I'm right, 7 out of 10 players on our PW are from (or around) Chicago. 70% was the lucky number XD

Pete434

Smash Cadet
It really sucks living in the middle of nowhere :(

Someone should really start hosting Brawl / Melee tournies in central or southern IL

Devil Ray

Smash Lord
hmm, i wanna clear a few things about chicago. we don't have as many tournaments as it might seem, and certainly few to none in the actual city. our most consistent tournies are the MAS ones, and they're in winthrop harbor.

chicago has a good scene for melee, but mostly just to play at smashfests. i haven't been to an actual tourny since smym. we're also pretty spread out. if i want to play with a good crowd, i drive nearly an hour thru **** traffic to get there

Zozefup

Smash Lord
edit: lmao just to check to see if I'm right, 7 out of 10 players on our PW are from (or around) Chicago. 70% was the lucky number XD
That is because the list is biased, not because northern IL is better. We need a crew battle sometime. You guys won't win.

And the skill level of southern IL has nothing to us not having tournaments. We don't have tournaments because the population down here is so low. There were 14 people in my high school graduating class. And high speed internet still isn't even offered here lol.

If Chicago host a tournament, they get a lot of players IL, WI, MI, IN, and Iowa. All of those crews are within 4 hours. There's not a single crew within 6 hours of southern IL. So no one wants to drive to our tournaments.

Also, I hosted a melee tournament in Carbondale 3 years ago and 57 players showed up! But most of them had more than a 6 hour drive, and some even came from Florida.

Shonic

Smash Journeyman
Dart, I think you need to change the name of this topic to have something to do with melee. It's way to much brawl now.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
this is the second or third time i've seen a thread in which zozefup was the only one who didnt realize that everyone else was talking about melee and he was talking about brawl

just funny to me cause people dont even realize the appropriate way to respond and the whole thread gets derailed

on january 30/31st there was a brawl/melee tourney in st louis, and on feb 21/22ish there was a brawl/melee tourney in indianapolis, zozefup youre just not looking too hard if you havent found one within 3 hours in the past year

Zozefup

Smash Lord
I play both games. I like to pretend the community isn't divided.

Indianapolis is still 5 hours away. I go there every chance I get. And I go to st. louis tournaments whenever it looks like people will show up, but usually they don't get many players.
I mean, there are local tournaments here. But our scene is very small.

Why would anyone drive to a tournament in Carbondale when they could just go to Chicago (less drive and more players).

chewyy

Smash Ace
Also, I hosted a melee tournament in Carbondale 3 years ago and 57 players showed up! But most of them had more than a 6 hour drive, and some even came from Florida.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=138407

This one? I was there! :D

and Peoria should host a melee/brawl tournament.
It's closer to chicago than springfield, so more of chicago might actually show up.
Here are the times/miles from a bunch of places.

1 hour 22 minutes from Springfield, IL (72.6 miles)
2 hours 46 minutes from Chicago, IL. (164 miles)
3 hours 5 minutes from St. Louis, MO. (171 miles)
3 hours 11 minutes from Terre Haute, IN. (180 miles)
4 hours 10 minutes from South Bend, IN. (233 miles)
4 hours 40 minutes from carbondale, IL (248 miles)
5 hours 5 minutes from Oshkosh, WI. (306 miles)
5 hours 19 minutes from Cincinnati, OH. (321 miles)
5 hours 37 minutes from Springfield, OH. (339 miles)
6 hours 38 minutes from Ann Arbor, MI. (379 miles)
6 hours 17 minutes from Columbus, OH. (383 miles)

Oro?!

Smash Hero
I'm sure Chicago wouldn't john out of a Peoria tourney if there was enough attendence. I just feel bad for WI players who drive 3+ just to get to the IL border. =/

Queen B

Smash Rookie
Where is barrington illinois!?! i neeed to play with someone while im on vacation next week or ill die from boredom...please tell me there is someone kinda close! Anyways tieing into this topic....I think that someone close to Barrington should hold the biggest tourney the worlds seen ever...next week. kthx

SpongeJordan

Smash Lord
Where is barrington illinois!?! i neeed to play with someone while im on vacation next week or ill die from boredom...please tell me there is someone kinda close! Anyways tieing into this topic....I think that someone close to Barrington should hold the biggest tourney the worlds seen ever...next week. kthx
Rather off topic, buuuut...

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=269380

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...87.892685&sspn=0.352349,0.837021&ie=UTF8&z=12

Does that help? :3

Top Bottom