• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can someone help me improve my Luigi?

Percon

Smash Lord
Hi everyone,

I started using Luigi because, well... he's a fun character to play as. However, I really would like to kick some butt as him as well. I'm still trying to find the best means of attack against a couple characters, namely, sheik. I have a buddy who's training as sheik, and while I can beat him now, he'll be better than me before long. Since training agains comp sheiks are a pain in the butt (y'know, waiting for zelda to change and all), couls some of you share some combos agains sheik?

Another thing I want to improve is recovery. I know Luigi has some great recovery potential, but I can't for the life of me do very well. I read the FAQ (very helpful :) ), and I'm still trying out some things. I can't tornado back ( I can manage is a stall and that's it :/ ). Now, I consider myself an okay gamer, but I just can't button mash that fast. Is the tornado common means of recovery among pros?
Another thing bugging me is the GM. I can go pretty far I guess, with either short bursts or long charges/misfires. But if my opponent jumps out at me and willingly gets hit by it, I stop gaining distance and plummet to the abyss, making very futile attempts to return with the tornado. Is there any way to overcome this?

I have a single video of me as Luigi, taken with my buddy's (same dude as I mentionned before) capture card. If you you can see a few of my habits (good and bad), could you point them out? It would help a lot. (And I know I missed a couple WD's... it was my first match that night, and I needed to get my mojo on. Cut me some slack :p Oh, and I also know I'm a bit spastik with spotdodges sometimes. I do that because it really messes my friend up sometimes)

Anyway, the video can be found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RXKtAVQAho

I don't have a capture card, so this is all I have at the 'mo.

Any criticism would be appreciated.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Unfortunately you have to be much better than the Sheik you're playing in order to win. That's just how the matchup goes.

You stand around for long periods of time without moving. That's simply not going to fly against high-level players. You need to know how to move around (walk, dash, WD, short hop, etc.) while being ready to react to their moves (dodge, shield, counterattack, etc.)

This is a concept rather than a technique, and it's not something you can pick up just by reading a post, but it is essential to being good at Smash.

Your wavedashes are stunted. Luigi can get around a lot faster if you point the analog stick in a more horizontal direction when you wavedash (a "perfect wavedash") and return the stick to neutral immediately afterwards, so that Luigi slides along the ground. Sometimes you want to shorten your wavedashes for spacing, but to get maximum mobility perfect wavedashes will help quite a bit.

This is important:

Don't use unnecessary Green Missiles or Coin Uppercuts - they leave you VERY vulnerable. Twice in the video you could have simply floated, or used a 2nd jump (be ready to F-Air, Up-Air, or airdodge) back to the stage, but instead you Green Missiled into the Sheik and died.

The tornado recovery is useful - go to the Complete Luigi Video Omnibus topic and watch Ka Master's videos - but don't include in your game if you can't do it.

Spoon Man

Smash Apprentice
also something that lix didn't mention, don't train against computers, it'll give you bad habits that don't work against real players.

dyeout

Smash Cadet
also something that lix didn't mention, don't train against computers, it'll give you bad habits that don't work against real players.
"Totally agree"

Lixivium seems to have pointed out the main floors of your wegie game play.

I too have obsevered afew bad habits and errors.

Errors:
Your wavedashing isn't to good you tend to miss it alot.{need practising}Also you need to learn aerial wavedashing.{perform a wavedash after an aerial }Very important to Luigi's game play.
Your recovery needs work"alot " no offence.
Your luigi has no mind games{really important for a wegie gameplay }
Lack of shorthops

Bab habits:
You use your second jump way to early{Against high-level players you'll get own for doing such.
You uselessly use the tornado,this technique has lag so be very careful how and when used.
To many full jumps.

[Is the tornado common means of recovery among pros?]
Dude this is common means of recovery for every luigi player.

Here's a tip,don't know if you'll like it or if it will work for you.

HOW TO PERFORM TORNADO RECOVERY
Inorder to perform tornado recovery you first need a stoke "meaning you first need to perform a tornado"It's like putting gas into a car,with gas you can move.Performing one tornado is automatically giving luigi air time ^^.
Thought is said you are to mash 16 times within 1 second to perform ,you can start at 10 .Keep the 16 out your mind just mash it.16 times is considered a perfect tornado.
Go to training mode and slow down the game speed to half then practise it,take a stoke and jump down to the bottom and then try coming back.

AGAINST A SHEIK:{just afew pointers}
Sheik and Luigi's sex kick are best of friends{low dmg and high dmg}
At low dmg it's a setup
At high dmg it's probably death.
Keep in mind that sheik is killed at vertical angle quite easy,so perform afew up smashes more often."At high dmg uptilt will do the job":chuckle:

A luigi's common combo or combo starter.
shffl sex kick + uptilt

Hope i was any help to you.

Percon

Smash Lord
Thank you very much for your help, everyone, I'll be sure to practice my wavedashing and recovery more. Actually, I had no idea that my wavedashes were so short because Luigi goes so dang far anyway. I just assumed.... yeah, my mistake. My other characters aren't too wavedash-oriented so this is my first tme seriously wavedashing with anyone. I think I've got the hang of the "perfect" wavedash now.

And... I don't think I'll ever be able to press a button 16 times in one second, but I'll be sure to use my recovery moves less, and my double-jump more.

Oh, and as for always being on the move, I know it's important. But my one friend gets really mad when I just stand still. It's pretty funny to see him doing all these dashdances while I stand still (I'll usually end up sheild grabbing him, too). That was just a friendly match, remember.

Pneuma

Smash Ace
Wavedash to move and catch up to the opponent after you hit them away. Never keep distance from them, Luigi ***** up close due to his stupid priority. Just because your opponent is a noob for shieldgrabbing doesn't mean you should stand still.

Don't ignore the tornado recovery. You may not be able to do it right now, but don't ignore it. Work on it and you can, it's not as hard as people make it out to be. Also, don't use unnecessary recovery. Don't side+b unless you have to, don't tornado unless you have to, don't up+b unless you HAVE to. If a double jump and air dodge will work, try that instead. And ALWAYS do aerials when you're moving back to the stage. It blocks projectiles (good habit), helps DI, and will ward off edgeguarders. Luigi's aerials have very little lag, so just chop your way back to the edge.

Lastly, for combos, you missed a lot of easy utilt stuff into a dair/chop. You can end all of your combos with a ftilt (for range) or a weak nair (if they're right next to you) to continue the combo. You dsmash WAY too much, it's too laggy for comboing. It's only good at low percents when you can dsmash into utilt/usmash/grab or high percents for kill. Don't end your combo just because you see an oppurtunity to dsmash.

From the grab, uthrow->chop or dthrow->bair is your best bet.

Top Bottom