• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can Smash really be Ultimate without a Story Mode?

Can this Smash Bros be its Ultimate form without a Story mode?

• No, the game is amazing but a theoretical Story mode would complete my existence on Earth.

Votes: 57 62.0%
  • Yes, the game is clearly the Ultimate now, it needs nothing else to always remain #1.

Votes: 35 38.0%

• Total voters

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
The game really needs an story mode, cause the minigames and classic mode it always have are totally not fun to play as single player content.
I would really like a story mode or some kind of endless adventure mode that changes and provides different levels and challenges every time you play, so it could be almost like an infinite mode.
But of course, it would need to be far superior to SSE. In SSE they had too much focus on CG videos and the gameplay,level and enemy design was pretty underwhelming, even making some people believe Smash could never have a good campaign mode or that it is irrelevant because SSE wasn't so great.
The game needs a story mode, but it needs to be awesome this time, and if not an endless mode, it must be pretty huge and with a good replay value.

Room100

Smash Apprentice
A full-on story mode would be hype, but I think there's so many characters that it doesn't work out in a way that'd be as appealing as the concept of Subspace. I definitely don't harbor the bad feelings towards Subspace others do from my recollection, but I think this should be a fairly different game amazing in its own ways.

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
I loved SE in Brawl and would love another story mode, but it’s not necessary to make it the “ultimate” game, but it would make it better. I voted no, just because I think it’s already ultimate, but story mode would be amazing.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
"Spirits" will probably be half of the gamemode Subspace was. It seems like something that you'l be interested in for some time then never do it again. Honestly if it's not Subspace 2 I'll **** a brick.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
In my opinion, no. Now, that's not to say I won't think the game is good if there's no Story Mode, but I do think Smash is, or at least should be, just as fun for its side content as for its core gameplay, which is why I don't think Smash 4 was a very good Smash game and conversely why I think Brawl is the best in the series. While I think Ultimate's core gameplay will be good enough to make up for it, what Spirits is shaping up to be seems like something I'll have fun with for a couple hours and then never really touch again, at least once I unlock all the characters. That's not necessarily a bad thing, assuming the rest of the side content is fun and has any sort of replay value, but a well-crafted Story Mode would theoretically have all these things in one, along with some really damn cool cutscenes to boot.

Top Bottom