• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can playing a bad player make you worse?

Tbagz

Smash Journeyman

because ive been playing my younger brother all day whos just ok at brawl, and i always 2 stock him.

for some reason we just felt like playing most of they day since i was home because none of my friends were around.

now my crew member Ax is over and hes pretty good and were playing and hes beating me, and i normally 2 stock him i have high percent.

has this happened to anyone?

do u think since my younger brother was so easy that it "threw me off" my game? for a brief period of time?

im sure ill be back on my game tomorrow but just wondering

~rh

Smash Lord
If you're playing a bad player consistently, you may do things that you may normally not do with a decent or high level player such as abusing unsafe fsmashes, unnecessary doge rolls, etc. When you play a decent or high level player later on, you might be programmed to play the way you do with the scrubs, thus downing your game a little bit. But that's just personally. Some people can play the same way with anyone and still win, lol

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
like Hikaru mentioned, if you constantly play not so good players such as your brother, then you will definetly find it difficult playing against high, pro level smashers, so if you tend to not lose against them, I would suggest stepping up a notch, and further your skills so you won't have this problem

Tbagz

Smash Journeyman
well im a really good player, lol. not to be conceeded, im about a 7/10. if i was to rate myself, idk thanks for the help.

it might be the fact that he uses pit and i change my style a bit with my MK when i play pits.

Tbagz

Smash Journeyman
alright now that im playing my friend im back on my game and winning, thanks guys. im going to stop playing my brother so much, im used to just playing higher level players

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
It'll make you worse with your main probably.
But it won't lower your tech skill. (by much at least).
If anything, it would probably raise it. I take that back.
It would help you get used to the "noob" playstyle at least.
Like the Pika thunder, Mk tornado, Aether. And constant shield roll/ smash attack spam.
Then you wouldn't fall for that stuff anymore.
But playing them for a long LONG time, will probably make you suck when you play someone else. Playing ANY kind of player a long time would make you suck in other aspects.

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord
Yeah, I played against some not-so-good players for quite a while, then when I came across a really good one, I was eliminated. Fighting less-skilled opponents for a time causes one to forget how to approach more skilled ones. IMO

Solaris1110

Smash Journeyman
Yes, it will temporarily decrease your skill against better people.
But it will also increase your ability to adapt to different opponents.

So basically it's better in the long run, as long as you maintain practice with people of all levels of skill.

evilflame101

Smash Journeyman

because ive been playing my younger brother all day whos just ok at brawl, and i always 2 stock him.

for some reason we just felt like playing most of they day since i was home because none of my friends were around.

now my crew member Ax is over and hes pretty good and were playing and hes beating me, and i normally 2 stock him i have high percent.

has this happened to anyone?

do u think since my younger brother was so easy that it "threw me off" my game? for a brief period of time?

im sure ill be back on my game tomorrow but just wondering

It will make you play worse, because you will not be used to having to react fast...

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
People have already said it, but it will only make you worse if you really adapt to that player's playstyle.

For me, I fix this by sort of going down to their level and playing character's I am not as okay with as my main.

Semmick

Smash Journeyman
People have already said it, but it will only make you worse if you really adapt to that player's playstyle.

For me, I fix this by sort of going down to their level and playing character's I am not as okay with as my main.
thats what i do

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Playing someone who sucks has its pros and cons:

Pros: confidence. It'll give you the confidence to know that you're good to some point.
Cons: false confidence. It might make you think you're better than the world.

Conclusion: it kinda will make you play worse, but it's more mindset than it is actual ability. Kinda like getting rusty, but different in that you're actually playing the game.

RedSnowman

Smash Apprentice
Like many have said... I'm just going to say it again. It can make you develop bad habits. If a bad player doesn't punish you for advancing with rolls ever then you'll do it a lot. Then when you play somebody better who does you will do worse.

I don't think that it always makes you worse though. If you still play in a very disciplined manner against your brother, where he only does like 40% to you over two stocks, then you're playing smart and it's not making you worse.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Good for raising your spirits but bad for your competitive play style. That is if you're playing for competition. Anyway yes, as a lot have already mentioned it can and will make you worse than you should be. I've been playing some really good players and suddenly I started to play some nubs like within a week and I noticed a decrease in my so-called skill. I was getting owned really bad by people I could normally beat. Stay with the really strong opponents to get better and avoid the terrible opponents at all cost.

rambull

Smash Rookie
i have a friend that i play against about once3 a week. i usually have to practice again a team of level 9's for an hour or 2 right after or i suck for the next few days.

.Marik

is a social misfit
This... is a very good question. Sure, if your better than the player your facing, then your obviously gonna win. Simple as. BUT if you play only people of that skill level, then your not going to be used to players of a higher skill level. And if you constantly play people who suck, rather than powerful opponents, their going to catch you off-guard, due to you not being used to playing with someone like that. And if you used to, then don't for a long time, it still might apply, your magic may begin to wear off on you, and due to you not honing your skills enough for so long, you probably will begin to feel cocky of always winning, and/or you just won't be as good. Way I see it anyways.

Marios My Bro

Smash Apprentice
It actually can. If you continously play against worst players and just crush them you are not going to be used to the better and much quicker ones out their

Uffe

Smash Hero
i have a friend that i play against about once3 a week. i usually have to practice again a team of level 9's for an hour or 2 right after or i suck for the next few days.
Just some advice, try looking for others nearby who play this game religiously. Level 9 CPU's are like n00bs. They don't punish your mistakes thus you don't learn from that mistake. Though they learn your play style they'll never punish you.

Phat Yoshi

Smash Cadet
I believe your only as good as your competition.

The better the people are that you play the better you'll become.
The worse the people are that you play the worse you'll become.

~rh

Smash Lord
Playing level 9's will hinder your skills worse than a bad player, trust me.

Draconian

Smash Cadet
Yes... playing bad players make you worse, if you repeatedly do so like three or more times. You start to take risks you normally wouldn't knowing subconsciously that they can't stop it while any normal, competent player would waste you immediately afterwards.

Top Bottom