• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can Lucina be played competitively?

Is she competitive?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
So? One tournament vs 100 hundreds over the years of my playing this series. Not to mention everything that I have contributed to the Marth community in terms of knowledge over that time period. And even if we don't consider that, my playing a superior character in tournament means little. However a characters meta is being developed be it in the lab, through discussion, sparring or tournaments, the character is still being developed.

Do not try to undermine what I have done for Marth by saying it's invalid because I'm playing Sheik in tournament. It is a ridiculous notion and actually makes you look petty.

Also I don't see many Marth players saying those things about Lucina compared to Marth. I see char mains of every other char forum coming into these threads and saying that.

Last edited:

Vincent21

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2595-3155-0496
At the same time moral here is kind of low since every time those kind of discussions come up the marth boards feels the need to come here and tell us why their **** character is slightly less **** than ours
If that's the case, people around here simply have the wrong mindset. If anything, Marth board deriding should be an incentive - a drive - to discover technology, combos, and relevant advances for Lucina, "your own" character (if we're going to red team blue team ourselves instead of all being adults and working on tech/combos/play together) and making some headway in events with coverage, thus being able to hold up your success to the Marth players of the world and have the smug self-satisfaction of proving them wrong.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
For the record, when the game first dropped Marth and Lucina forums seemed to work pretty closely. But as I said the Lucina forums don't seem to have that same drive so really it was the Marth players doing alot of testing, labbing and discussing. Eventually the Marth forums kinda gave up on working with our other halfs because they didn't seem to care.

No one can make you care about developing your character. You have to WANT it so bad it BURNS deep within you.

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
Drop it guys, the matter of fact is that none of us are remotely inventive enough as individuals to make Marcina work at the level of play we want them to thrive in

Shut up about who works harder amd who is better, just work your controller into dust, put this stupid argument into your actions and make something of your claims

Jeez

eshu125

Smash Apprentice
So? One tournament vs 100 hundreds over the years of my playing this series. Not to mention everything that I have contributed to the Marth community in terms of knowledge over that time period. And even if we don't consider that, my playing a superior character in tournament means little. However a characters meta is being developed be it in the lab, through discussion, sparring or tournaments, the character is still being developed.

Do not try to undermine what I have done for Marth by saying it's invalid because I'm playing Sheik in tournament. It is a ridiculous notion and actually makes you look petty.

Also I don't see many Marth players saying those things about Lucina compared to Marth. I see char mains of every other char forum coming into these threads and saying that.
I'm not saying the work you've put in is invalid, I simply said to make such a bold claim as 'I care more about puttingy work into my character than the whole lucina boards combined' is hard to take seriously with that in mind. Part of developing a character is getting as much tournament experience as possible, and with that in mind I haven't once even thought to try out another character if it means I get less lucina experience overall. You didn't make a statement about your dedicaton, you made a statement comparing your dedication to that of a whole character board. Don't act like I'm the one firing petty shots

CommanderRin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Susazu-And-Rin
I'm not saying the work you've put in is invalid, I simply said to make such a bold claim as 'I care more about puttingy work into my character than the whole lucina boards combined' is hard to take seriously with that in mind. Part of developing a character is getting as much tournament experience as possible, and with that in mind I haven't once even thought to try out another character if it means I get less lucina experience overall. You didn't make a statement about your dedicaton, you made a statement comparing your dedication to that of a whole character board. Don't act like I'm the one firing petty shots
Stop before this argument gets any worse please

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
I made a post based on the evidence in front of my very eyes.

If I committed some kind of violation, it would be only that of brutal honesty and literal observance.

That said I can tell I wounded your pride which was not my intent. For that I apologize.

PMMikey

To be the best~
NNID
PMMikey
3DS FC
1478-6360-4387
I enjoy this discussion we're having. I do really try to use lucina as much as possible. Though she isn't main character but she is a very close second. I put in the time for her though.

Let's just bring it down. I would like this thread to stay alive.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZFallen

All things are better with a little 'Z'
NNID
ZFallen
I'm liking this discussion, it's probably doing us a lot of good.

Essentially, we need to put in the work right? Well I'm not sure how the lab type stuff is (any ideas where I can go to find out?) but it seems what we need to do is keep playing as Lucina. Carve out her place in the metagame.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
I enjoy this discussion we're having. I do really try to use lucina as much as possible. Though she isn't main character but she is a very close second. I put in the time for her though.

Let's just bring it down. I would like this thread to stay alive.
Hey Mikey. I merged your posts. Careful with double posting as it is against Smashboards Terms of Service and Rules. Next time use the edit button.

Last edited:

LucinaNab1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SSB311007Bond
I just wanted to make my icebreaker post by saying that I've had a rather decent weekend with some Lucina training. I was able to turn around some decisive 1v1 matches that I was losing, and come out on top. One of the most notable was a Greninja. He had me most of the match, but at the end I was able to make a good read and give him a nice charged up smash that gave me the win. I could tell the player wasn't very happy, as he left afterwards.

I was also able to give some Marths a run for their money. That always feels good, especially since we both taunt at the same time to begin the match. I can just hear them saying "I've got the better character!" as they don't stick around much afterwards, usually. I almost won against a Diddy as well, getting him to around 70 damage before he was able to get me. So at least I can tell I'm improving. I have around 7 replays to go through, but I definitely feel she can be competitive. It all depends on the drive of the player.

Monkeywitha6pack

Smash Rookie
I consider lucina in the underused list and I feel that it gives people an advantage when playing her (or other under used fighters) For example everyone knows how to beat a typical little mac, but that's because everyone used him on for glory when the game came out and everyone became accustom to him. When someone faces a fighter they don't often play they may not know what to do. For example they're many ways someone can play a lucina, offensively, defencivly, they could stick to just the ground or stay in the air for aerials ect. The time it takes for the opponent to figure out how you are playing can be used to gain a lead in percents or even a stock in some cases. But however this does not work on everyone. some people need no time to adjust, or they play lucina themselves, or play against someone who does.

Its not a going to happen 100% of the time (so don't pick her or any other underused solely for that fact) but when it does happen good players can capitalize on it

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
With custom moves, I've been warming up to Lucy a little more and I've been thinking they might make her at least decent, I think she and Marth benefit quite a lot from customs and they help patch up a few of their weaknesses. Not on the level of :4mario:, :4ganondorf:, :4palutena:, or :4villager:'s customs; but I feel they're up there.

Dashing Assault gives her a cool tech chase option, long range punish, and slightly improves her otherwise subpar recovery. A lot of people like this move, but I personally would keep Shield Breaker for most of the time because of reduced shield damage. Lucina's moves are not safe when blocked and she doesn't get much from a grab, so without it she'll have a harder time beating players who like to sit in shield a lot. Dashing Assault also has like 20 frames of endlag, so its not too great an approach option either. Not seeing how Storm Thrust would benefit her in anyway unless she's fighting Little Mac maybe, wouldn't use it. Lucina's edgeguarding is already good, and situations where you could use this usually has a better option.

Both SideB customs are worthless, would never give up default.

The UpBs are where its at, and all 3 have their merits. Dolphin Jump's better vertical height allows her to go deeper for edgeguards without getting herself killed and makes her already strong edgeguarding even stronger so she has a bit of an easier time killing. It also improves her recovery a little bit and its pretty bad without Dolphin Jump, although its lack of hitbox prevents it from being a great one and she can't angle it, so even if you don't get killed you may still take damage. You lose a good out of shield option, but that's okay, she can still Usmash out of shield instead. The real kicker here is Crescent Slash, which I feel solves 2 of her main weaknesses at once: Lack of reliable killing moves and inability to threaten shields. With Fthrow > CS you get another combo (which is also something she kinda lacks), and a kill combo at that. With this move you get another way to threaten shields other than Shield Breaker and its almost a guaranteed kill combo on most characters at around 55% by the ledge so you get both another killing instrument and some actual mileage out of her throws, which not too many characters get. It also combos off a Fair and can deal good damage to those standing on platforms. I think this alone is a buff huge enough to make her at least one tier and helps her as a character by a good amount. I would not call it a straight upgrade to Dolphin Slash though, you can no longer go as deep for edgeguards, its not as good OoS, and it arguably makes your recovery even worse than before. Nevertheless, I feel Crescent Slash does more good than harm overall and gives Lucina more things to work with.

Iai Counter is in my opinion, among the best counters in the game. The damage is lessened and it doesn't have as many active frames, but sending opponents straight behind you is a great benefit that sets up an edgeguard (if it doesn't already KO them outright) and can sometimes put you at an advantage if you're the one being edgeguarded. It also pushes Lucy a bit forward so its helps bypasses projectiles a bit too. No need for Easy Counter though, wouldn't go for it.

In a default atmosphere, I feel Lucina is sadly a bottom 15 character that is pretty difficult to use with a lot of disadvantaged matchups, and I don't have as much faith in her as I want to. With customs I can see her becoming more of a threat as the meta goes on and would be at least mid tier with them imo, possibly even on the upper median side of the cast. I feel this character needs customs so badly and probably can't live without them, but with them I believe in her. She still doesn't have a legit advantage over her great Hero-King Grandfather though :4marth:.

Liyrex

Smash Apprentice
Daein (Or Albany, NY whatever makes more sense)
NNID
Liyrex
3DS FC
3265-5244-3896
My goal as a new competitive player is to show people that she is versatile.

Theres nothing I love to hear more than when someone uses lucina because they see me defeat as top tier character with her. Or when they practice against Lucina because of me. Not trying to say i'm really good,but i can handle myself but my goal is to get her into the finals of a decent sized tournament. Maybe she isn't relevant but that's why its our jobs as Lucina mains to make her as such, but there's nothing wrong with fangirling over her in the process. I don't see how people make that connection. Why wouldn't you want to love the character you main, thats why i do so much better with her, I Hate To See Her Die, and maybe Marth is the better character technically, but I know there definitely exists an X factor for me when i play as her because i like her so much more than any other character on the roster.

Streamline

Smash Rookie
Every character can be played 'competitively'. As soon as you pick a character and want to win you're playing competitive...having fun and a fair amount of success playing Lucina competitively? If yes then you have your answer.

Top Bottom