• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can anyone explain how Ally won?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
It smacks a can in the air right back down, guess you'd need to know that to understand.
Chances are, if you're getting a can hit out of the air by a fireball, you probably got outplayed really really hard. I've seen the can spaced in many ways, and virtually the only times I've ever seen it get hit by fireballs is basically when it's on the ground. Pills in contrast I would believe would be slightly more viable for intercepting the can this way, but overall the can is very unlikely to get intercepted if you're already sending it traveling through the air.

Judo777

Smash Master
@OP Mario has significantly higher Mobility than Luigi or Doc, which is extremely useful. Mario is much faster relative to the rest of the cast than he was in previous games. As a result he has more effective ranges than the other versions. That is probably the biggest thing he brings to the table.

Also Ally is a genius, seriously. He is perhaps the best smash player in the world. The reasons he does things, is because he knows they will work. If you can read your opponent, and are capable of punishing (any character with reasonable mobility can do this) then you can beat anyone. Mario has plenty of solid stuff. Granted hes not as good as say Luigi, but Mario has tools to accomplish basic things you need to win.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
I was at that tourney and Ally was defeated by NAKAT before. Grand Finals was also at 1am and was thanks to A&C being late opening.

Ally is just very good and knows what to look for in his opponents. For example, during game 1, we saw Ally pivot away and grab Ness: his footsies game is incredible, he predicted where Nakat was going to move and made a reaction based on that.

Last edited:

Pagan

Smash Rookie
NNID
timetrapped
3DS FC
4914-5720-7420
Here's some food for thought.

Maybe the game along with it's characters are a lot more balanced than we thought. Perhaps any character can beat any character and tier list are merely a clouded perception of what we think to be the level of ability and chance the character has to win a tournament. Obviously Ally proved that Mario can win larger tournaments and beat top tier characters because he knew how to play his character. I will admit that some characters are a lot harder to master and take more time but they all have potential. Diddy Kong and Sheik are easy to play because they are easier to master. A lot of people label these characters as higher "tier" because of this unfortunately. It takes time, commitment, and understanding to progress and master the ins and outs of a character. These attributes are what determine the player's ability in contrast to the character's ability. Some people might think Mario is a lower tier character and is limited (through their perception) but obviously Ally proves this theory wrong through the progression and mastering of Mario. Ally is able to do this because he is a great player but also because Mario (as a character) is capable of beating upper tier characters. The issue is Mario takes a lot more time and commitment to master than higher tier characters and typically takes a better player to master as well. Not everyone will be able to master every character but I think they all have potential to win regional and even national tournaments.

Stop living in a box! Open your mind a little bit and consider all possibilities. Don' let some subjective list or forum lurker tell you a character is bad or good. Look at players like Rice (Dr. Mario), Ally (Mario), Dabuz (Olimar) and many others. All characters have potential you just have to be able to put in the x amount of time, effort and ability to master them.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
Here's some food for thought.

Maybe the game along with it's characters are a lot more balanced than we thought. Perhaps any character can beat any character and tier list are merely a clouded perception of what we think to be the level of ability and chance the character has to win a tournament. Obviously Ally proved that Mario can win larger tournaments and beat top tier characters because he knew how to play his character. I will admit that some characters are a lot harder to master and take more time but they all have potential. Diddy Kong and Sheik are easy to play because they are easier to master. A lot of people label these characters as higher "tier" because of this unfortunately. It takes time, commitment, and understanding to progress and master the ins and outs of a character. These attributes are what determine the player's ability in contrast to the character's ability. Some people might think Mario is a lower tier character and is limited (through their perception) but obviously Ally proves this theory wrong through the progression and mastering of Mario. Ally is able to do this because he is a great player but also because Mario (as a character) is capable of beating upper tier characters. The issue is Mario takes a lot more time and commitment to master than higher tier characters and typically takes a better player to master as well. Not everyone will be able to master every character but I think they all have potential to win regional and even national tournaments.

Stop living in a box! Open your mind a little bit and consider all possibilities. Don' let some subjective list or forum lurker tell you a character is bad or good. Look at players like Rice (Dr. Mario), Ally (Mario), Dabuz (Olimar) and many others. All characters have potential you just have to be able to put in the x amount of time, effort and ability to master them.
I don't mean to be rude and I know this is out of subject, but tiers exist. I agree that this game is actually quite balanced and that player skill does play a large factor. More than on character alone. However, you have to look at the game and see that every character isn't equal. There is a reason why people play a lot of Diddy Kong and you don't see any top players on Charizard. The tier list isn't just characters listed in some random order that the smash gods make up. There is reason behind them. I'm not sure if you play casually or competitively, but if you are competitive you need to understand this.

Also, Mario is high tier and Dabuz mains Rosalina who is top tier. He does have a very good Olimar though so I won't deny that point of yours.

Pagan

Smash Rookie
NNID
timetrapped
3DS FC
4914-5720-7420
I don't mean to be rude and I know this is out of subject, but tiers exist. I agree that this game is actually quite balanced and that player skill does play a large factor. More than on character alone. However, you have to look at the game and see that every character isn't equal. There is a reason why people play a lot of Diddy Kong and you don't see any top players on Charizard. The tier list isn't just characters listed in some random order that the smash gods make up. There is reason behind them. I'm not sure if you play casually or competitively, but if you are competitive you need to understand this.

Also, Mario is high tier and Dabuz mains Rosalina who is top tier. He does have a very good Olimar though so I won't deny that point of yours.
I don't mean to be rude either but I never said tier list didn't exist. They obviously do and I don't think you understood what I was saying. A lot of people play Diddy Kong because he is easy to use and is easier to win with. He has strong combos that are easy to pull off. It doesn't mean you're a bad player if you play him but simply Diddy doesn't take as much thought or effort to master compared to other characters. You should probably understand that in competitive play this is why a lot of people choose Diddy but even then look at the top eight players from Apex. There were two Diddy Kongs and two sheiks yes, but there was also a Rosalina/Olimar, Pac-Man, and even DHD/Little Mac. Of course they were all played by great players but the bottom line was those characters had the ability to beat top tier Diddy and Sheiks throughout the tournament. Tier list do exist obviously, but the validity and perception of these list are definitely clouded to some extent and regardless of what you think they are subjective. Nothing more and nothing less.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
Looks like I did misunderstand your post lol. I agree with just about everything you said. I just wanna point out that Sheik is not easy. You can't have a halfass Sheik like how some people have a halfass Diddy.

Top Bottom