• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Camping vs. Mind Games

Blue_Angel

Smash Cadet
Okay okay.. so I'm getting better at SSBB and I usually win in online games however there came someone I could rarely beat. I don't know who this person is but this person is super annoying.

In an online FFA game you get two minutes to fight your opponent whoever wins in those 2 minutes wins the game.. however this guy wastes the two minutes camping the edge of the map. (Like this person would stay in one spot until I get annoyed of this person and charge in.)
Usually I would be able to do a few combos but the connection between us is like.. um.. playing underwater. It's not laggy but it isn't perfect. So I can't continuously shorthop like I could in a normal match.

So between their "mind game/camp" and their wasting two minutes of my life running away/continuously hitting down dodge (I think they're a controller user.. I'm a nunchuck user so I don't have the benefit of insta-power smash) I get frustrated easily. It's not like they dodge while fighting its like camping the corner dodge insta smash.. and ontop of that they like playing with items on..

I didn't mind that because if I won all the time it was boring however this person did something unforgivable today. They chose link's old stage and camped on the lower level. Normally I would have had kicked their *** but I kept kicking them to the roof of the platform and ontop of that this person kept spamming smash buttons/grabbing items.
Also they would only fight in that spot or in my blindspot (I had observers present and they would go to the other side of the map and that would stretch the screen.. I have a small t.v. and its hard to see when the screen is stretched like that.)

This person used to be my favorite person to fight until they pulled that cowardly crap.
I really hope I get to play this person in an arena where it's not handicapping or slower than usual.. until then.. I'm done with them until they could stop camping.. if it is camping.. I'm new to SSBB and I'm not sure if staying in one specific spot is camping or mind games.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I am honestly lost for words.

shadowtroop

Smash Ace
Advice:

1. Switch to Gamecube/Classic controller, C-sticking (insta-smash lols) is not only a benefit, but an advantage.

2. Don't use "with anyone". It really sucks ballz. Try this: http://fauxfinder.nfshost.com/

3. Play Melee if you can, it can help you get a little better since it teaches you "Combos" and the game mechanics are overall better.

Also, Don't switch to a widescreen TV, It may look better, but it has major lagging, and you will never play well. Camera stretching isn't that bad, you get used to it easily.

bobson

Smash Lord
If you thought that was bad, pray you never fight me.

Volt7x

Smash Journeyman
Stupid campers made me hate Hyrule Temple. A random thing I did yesterday to stop this guy from camping was letting the other players attack me to give them free points. That way, the camper had no chance of winning.
1) Switch to MK
2) Dominate
3) ???
4) Profit
*sees main*

POKE40

Smash Lord
Main Diddy Kong (or anyone else that can spike good...like marth)
Learn to spike.
Profit.

Option 2:
MK... second MK...

option 3:
Find someone who is does perfectly on hyrule temple.

Main thing to do is to get them off stage. You will need to either spike or knock them far away enough so they can't recover. I recommend the spiking.

Standing in one place can be mind games and can be camping.
it depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

Blue_Angel

Smash Cadet
I'm too impatient to waste time like that.. usually I fight and study moves and when I detect a pattern I'd exploit the pattern by switching up my moveset.. it worked on that player for awhile until zelda stage where they turned into a flaming fruitcake. I mean smash spam and hiding in a roofed location? Tch.. weakling.

I only had 2 minutes to win and they just wanted to hide.

That and I love using Fox, Yoshi, and Marth.. I'm not using MetaKnight just to win.. and besides in a semi laggy enviroment like online play Meta is just too slow for me.

Ange

Smash Lord
3. Play Melee if you can, it can help you get a little better since it teaches you "Combos" and the game mechanics are overall better.
Comments like this are NOT helpful.

If they smash spammed alot, you could try to shield grab, punish it and try put them in an uncomfortable situation.

Temple is a massive camping fest. :/

UncleSam

Smash Master
They're just camping onstage, not planking?

Camp them right back. Projectile spam. Whorenado them. Taunt spam them.
whorenado is to overrated, and why are you playing online FFA's? you can actually get on without a connection error? not saying I have a bad connection, it's just that I always end up getting disconnected, because the random ppl have horrid connections. FFA with friends, at least you can ***** to them if you lose, and pimp out if you win...
anyway, just ignore them, if they camp/stall, it's not like they are going to score any kills doing so.

HylianBoy

Smash Apprentice
I do that sometimes on online Team battles when I dont play serious or did but stopped. I played as Marth, pick Hyrule Temple (the giant Melee stage) most of the time, and "crouch camp" at three areas on the stage (if someone was coming for me). The area on the far left and far right on the upper level of the stage and that small part of the stage on the lowest level. If someone were to charge at my on the upper far right of the stage, I would usually jump to lower level.

But if it was a smaller stage like FD, I would crouch camp on the ledge that had less people near it and start dodging or jumping to the to the other ledge if it had too many players near it. But sometimes I would fight them for a while to push them back or KOed them if they were to keep fighting. Sometimes I also fight if someone were to continue the hunt for me or if I were in a sudden death. I turn the items off on my end, though. But if it were to show up in the area I would surely grab it.

You might have been in a room with me if these were all/most of the actions that player was doing. But I don't think so, because I don't play FFAs nearly as much as Team Battles. I just started this more than a week ago.

Exce L

Smash Apprentice
I don't understand why you are even playing 2:00 minute matches in the first place.

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
Blue_Angel said:
I'm too impatient to waste time like that.. usually I fight and study moves and when I detect a pattern I'd exploit the pattern by switching up my moveset.. it worked on that player for awhile until zelda stage where they turned into a flaming fruitcake. I mean smash spam and hiding in a roofed location? Tch.. weakling.
I hear you, I'd just like to say that impatience is a killer. ^_^

UncleSam said:
whorenado is to overrated, and why are you playing online FFA's?
I was just throwing out suggestions, I got a little silly. :chuckle:

Anonymous24

Smash Apprentice
mind games are actually in my opinion better than camping. Camping is nothing its in every game plus they arent able to achieve any victory by camping unless there ArmPIT and can have very good control with the arrows. Mind games thats a better topic expecially confusing the players i do it with link alot when it comes from glide tossing to using bombs to create distance or even acting like i suck its makes matters fun for either opposing player and can learn something new from the person as well:)

TriforceMaster5282

Smash Apprentice

I only had 2 minutes to win and they just wanted to hide.

That and I love using Fox, Yoshi, and Marth.. I'm not using MetaKnight just to win.. and besides in a semi laggy enviroment like online play Meta is just too slow for me.
here's what i'd do then, since u use fox, pick him, and just spam shoot him till he gets angry and charges u, and if he doesnt, keep racking up till he has like 300% then just poke him and he'll go soaring!

Thrall29

Smash Rookie
Play on AiB, and discover that Camping = Mindgame ?
Not really, I mean that you camp when you it's usefull and be offensiv when it's better, I think the best thing to do is to get a various game to not be anticipated ;)
ps : I haven't read the other post ^^'

DarkAura

Smash Lord
wait if you main fox hes like the anti-camper cause of his reflector.... but mindgames are definitely better because they can screw up your opponent

Breezy

Smash Ace
You sound like you have a competetive attitude. "With Anyone" is NOT a competetive environment. Go to AiB or in person tournies

Wenis of Lore

Smash Cadet
i feel your pain blue_angel...... i don't understand the logic of these people turning on their wii's if they're just going to sit on the side the whole 2 minutes of actual gameplay. ooooooh big deal, you won.....but you also wasted yours and other peoples time. also, you say your a knunchuck player, i had trouble with the smash attacks too before i reworked my control scheme. try mapping your smash attacks to the d-pad on the wiimote, it helped me out a lot. goodluck and maybe i'll catch you on wifi...... i'll be the one actually fighting

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
i feel your pain blue_angel...... i don't understand the logic of these people turning on their wii's if they're just going to sit on the side the whole 2 minutes of actual gameplay. ooooooh big deal, you won.....but you also wasted yours and other peoples time. also, you say your a knunchuck player, i had trouble with the smash attacks too before i reworked my control scheme. try mapping your smash attacks to the d-pad on the wiimote, it helped me out a lot. goodluck and maybe i'll catch you on wifi...... i'll be the one actually fighting
Right here.

You're meeting people who're either playing to win, or practicing to play to win.

JigglyPunch

Smash Apprentice
I was actually able to pwn a camper today. I'm not sure how it happned, but he got me mad and he tasted the painbow.

Pez55

Smash Apprentice
I find mindgames much more useful since I generally look down upon camping. I find it much more rewarding when you win because of mindgames.

xXLifTXx

Smash Rookie
Mind games are way better. Camping is not terribly hard to beat, especially since you can beat a camper with a few mind games..

Top Bottom