• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Campaign of Improvement - A Marth Combo Video (Download Link Up)

metroid1117

Smash Master
I posted a thread about this in the Misc. Videos, but at halfDemon's suggestion, I've decided to post it here as well. This is just straight copy+paste from the original thread (http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=2422341&posted=1#post2422341).

Some disclaimers before some people will just scroll down to the video (I know you people are out there ).

If QUALITY is an issue for you, then you will NOT like this video. All footage was captured via a digital camera that wasn't hooked up to the screen.

If DI is an issue (since when is it never?), then you will not like this video, especially at the middle.

If you like seeing a change in style, then you might like this video. All clips were used in chronological order according to the day that the matches were recorded (hence the title is "Campaign for Improvement").

If you like band music, then you probably will like this video.

That being said, this is my first video. I hope you enjoy it (especially the music for the credits). Props to whoever can tell what the meters are for the first song (note that there is only one part in which it doesn't change at some point).

EDIT: Since I've been recieving surprisingly good feedback, I've decided to upload it to FileFront.

Youtube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQbzpcCJ0m0
FileFront Link: http://files.filefront.com//;7644508;/

-Music Selection-

The Eighth Candle, by Steve Reisteter, performed by the Adlai E. Stevenson High School Honor Band 2006-2007, under the direction of Jeff Slepak (hey cool, I was 2nd chair on clarinet)

He's a Pirate, by Klaus Badelt

Chrono Trigger 600 A.D. in Piano, arranged by kLuTz, performed by me, metroid1117

If you want to see me actually playing the ending credits, here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhuQGu0_oKI

FrostByte

Smash Lord
I deeply apologise. I may have to steal that counter combo. Incredibly sexy. And the dolphin stagespike edgeguard on battlefield.

metroid1117

Smash Master
He hasn't been to a single one accept for MLG... lazy bum.
*except. Well, we know who's paying attention in school :chuckle: .

Anyway...

you live in the Chi-burbs Metroid? Do you come out to many tournies cause for some reason I can't remember you >_<.
Nope, halfDemon's right; I've only gone to the MLG Chicago 2006, and it was quite an experience; I got to play KishSquared in the pools, but I didn't make it out. I'm busy with school; I have (had, since we're not doing anything now) two AP courses. Also, I'm in high school, so I can't go to the one this weekend; we have finals next week.

metroid1117

Smash Master
favourited, if i may ask, how long have you been playing with marth competitively? if u have
When I first started to play Smash competitively two years ago, I used Samus. I forgot when I switched to Marth, but I'd say about more than a year and nine months. I've only gone to one tournament though, so I don't have much experience at all.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I enjoyed the video, it was fun. I do say that you should try showing your fast falling friends how to properly DI (this isn't so much of a critique as much as advice for you to improve).

metroid1117

Smash Master
I enjoyed the video, it was fun. I do say that you should try showing your fast falling friends how to properly DI (this isn't so much of a critique as much as advice for you to improve).
Yeah, my friends and I got a laugh at their lack of DI back in February. According to Kit, he didn't even try to DI back then :laugh: . They've improved since then, however; unless I do something weird, they know the general direction where to DI.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Good video, nice combos and good progression

I have one thing to say though, Alot of those ledgehopped dair spikes were just for show, if you simply hanged on the ledge, they would have not made it back..but you instead went for the spike out of flashyness..this is good but I hope you don't make a habit of overkilling people as the simplest mistake can lead to yourself being edgehogged or sourspotting them and bringing them back.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Good video, nice combos and good progression

I have one thing to say though, Alot of those ledgehopped dair spikes were just for show, if you simply hanged on the ledge, they would have not made it back..but you instead went for the spike out of flashyness..this is good but I hope you don't make a habit of overkilling people as the simplest mistake can lead to yourself being edgehogged or sourspotting them and bringing them back.
Yeah, there have been some instances where I've brought people back from the dead :urg:. I've learned from my mistakes though, and if it's an opponent who's coming from above I've learned not to try to spike them with the upper-back portion.

Hyperion

Smash Cadet
Could you explain how to do that edge hop spike properly? I know you press away from the edge, jump toward the course, then do a down-A (or is it a C-stick down?), but I always end up falling to my death. Should I use the C-stick to avoid FFing, or is there another trick? Thanks. Awesome video, by the way.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
^^ Do the dair while your still rising from the jump. You won't fastfall and even if you don't DI back onto the stage you'll be able to up B after the lag from the dair.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Basicly, gently touch away with your movement stick then move it like you're getting back onstage from a ledgehop while pointing your c stick down., and sonic is right..usually even if you screw up, you can make it back.

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
Nice metroid. Good use of the spike and good edgeguarding and combos!!!
I agree with thebluedeath about the flashy stuff, but still nice work!!!

metroid1117

Smash Master
Could you explain how to do that edge hop spike properly? I know you press away from the edge, jump toward the course, then do a down-A (or is it a C-stick down?), but I always end up falling to my death. Should I use the C-stick to avoid FFing, or is there another trick? Thanks. Awesome video, by the way.
When edgehop spiking in general, I prefer smashing and hold down then immediately sliding my thumb over Y and A. Down causes you to fall, but by holding it and pressing jump and A after words, you perform what's called a "rising DAir". After you get the DAir out you can either get back onto the stage or just use Dancing Blade -> up+B if you didn't jump early enough. You can also press "away" and then DAir to spike opponents farther out, but it's riskier.

Top Bottom