• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

C9|Mango's Must-Watch Post-Apex 2015 Interview

KhanYe

Smash Journeyman
After the unpredictable, incredibly hype-filled Apex 2015 ended, Super Smash Bros. Melee fans were left with a myriad of questions. Is Leffen as good as he's seemed this year? Is Armada's affair with Fox just a fling, or are Peach and he headed for an abrupt breakup? Can PPMD continue to take nationals over the plethora of spacies with a certain blue-haired swordsman? However, one of the most pressing questions to come from this tournament is this: After two unfortunate finishes, with a third place finish at BEAST 5 and a fourth place finish at Apex 2015, it now safe to sleep on the kid?

Fourth place C9|MaNg0 and Melee It On Me's Toph looking glum.
Mango was interviewed by MIOM|Toph after the tournament ended, and he shared his thoughts on his recent struggles and how superstar rapper Eminem taught him how to deal with the disappointment. Despite Mango's lackluster tournament by his standards, this interview puts a spotlight on the overwhelming charisma, good sportsmanship and humility of one of the greatest players/busters in the world. In this interview, he reveals that he will challenge Leffen to another $1000 next time they see each other in bracket.

KhanYe is firmly part of Mang0 Nation. If you're a busterino, follow him on Twitter @aymangolassi.

Last edited by a moderator:

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
"You gotta learn how to be a champion correctly and you gotta learn how to be a buster"
that's the realest of talks I've heard in ages

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I may not agree with Mango I in everything, but this interview is great for any competitive Smasher.

Take notes people.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Maybe a fallen buster, but still a well-respected Smasher imo. Gotta give credit when it's due.

ZeroBlindDragon

Smash Apprentice
I pray Armada is not going to give up Peach. They had such an amazing run together. Armada's Peach also brought a lot of diversity to the metagame, in addition to tons of hype during matches.

FEFIZ

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-4003-4948
4 place in a tourney with 1024 players is an amazing position guys!!! He just "defeated" 1020 players...

infomon

Smash Scientist
Honestly I thought the PPMD interview was mind-blowingly fascinating, especially knowing the exact context:

1. His decision to go back to Marth for Game 5 of the first set vs. Armada, after losing the first two games with Marth then winning the next two games with Falco... Absolutely genius to understand why he did this, what it meant to make that choice, and how it earned him the championship even though he lost that match and went into bracket reset.

2. It's so interesting to hear him describe the thought process behind what he's thinking facing Leffen vs. facing Armada. How he identified the aspects of the different playstyles and what it would take to beat each of tehm; which rock-paper-scissors-style scenarios they were each looking for and how to counter them.

3. Coolest IMO is when he talks about "acceptance training" as being central to his game, and how he practices it *all the time* outside of Smash. You can really see this in Leffen's sets. When PP took game 1 vs Leffen (it was very close), Leffen was in a very different state of mind -- you could see it on his face! Each mistake thereafter, you can see he gets harder and harder on himself. This was his downfall. End of game 3, you see it again, he's so upset. By the time he's facing Armada in loser's bracket, he's a changed man. Meanwhile, PPMD had several difficult moments throughout the entire tournament, but he kept his cool -- acceptance training in action!

Kurogal

Smash Apprentice
United States of America - State of California
NNID
LaharlOnKonata
Last edited:

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
This interview raises a good point about the darker side of competitive play. It's all good and well to strive to be the best, but all the trash-talk and internalizing that goes on takes away from what really matters, which is being good at the game. A person's entire status with the community shouldn't be defined by skill at the game alone, although it's an important factor to consider. Being the best player, but a rude or disrespectful competitor, leaves a bad taste in the mouth, especially when it encourages others to follow that example. Good to see mang0 showing some humility in defeat, but he's not down and out by any stretch.

ZomBiehn

Semi-Pro
NNID
ZomBiehnU
3DS FC
3153-5961-0908
I think he's being too hard on himself, Mang0 never won a Apex anyway, he'll Prove/show his #1 spot at EVO2015

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I respect Mang0 not only as a Smasher but also as a person. Guy seems very chill and would be fun to hang out with.

FPSWalrus

Smash Ace
NNID
TehKingOfWalrus
I like mang0, hes such a down-to-earth guy in the interview. He takes a terrible situation and accepts it, instead of johning.
Everyone, strive to have the humility this man has.

Mage4hire

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mage4hire
3DS FC
3351-5339-2464
I may not always be the biggest fan of Mang0, but I have to respect people who stay calm in these situations. It's very understandable for someone to get upset for losing at this level, coming close to the top and falling is almost worse than falling near the bottom some times.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
Didn't that E3'14 channel steal the footage from VGBootcamp?
In common usage, theft is the taking of another person's property without that person's permission or consent with the intent to deprive the rightful owner of it.

GimR nor VGBC are being deprived of ownership of anything. It wasn't stolen from the VGBootcamp channel, unless they did a remarkable job at stealing and hijacked the original video source while removing the original from the internet.

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
That's because he wants to be first ;). He hasn't won Apex, MLG or Evo yet.
Making excuses as to why you got third wont help u get first. He's got to learn how to be a busterino correctly.

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman
Didn't that E3'14 channel steal the footage from VGBootcamp?

I know that they and teamsp00ky haven't uploaded any Apex stuff yet but should we really be linking to stolen content?
Bro, we're linking youtube footage. We all know that roughly 60% of youtube is stolen tech. It's cool. As long as E3'14 gives credit, though I forgot to check that.

Anyway, much respect for Mango flat out admitting that he was a buster in that set. No johns. Even more respect for PPMD teaching everyone why adapting is so important.

Armada confirming Peach sub is kinda sad though. Even though I hate Peach play, it was good seeing something different from Spacies. Oh well, we still got Sheik, Marth and Jiggs saving us from 20XX. We cool.

Top Bottom