• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

C-Sticking = 4 Noobs?

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Only noobs make a huge deal over whether or not someone uses the cstick. The things that pros use the cstick for are completely different from typical noob use. Pros use the cstick for aerials, item tossing, and many things that would be impossible without it, and of course the quick smash attack. Now, many people are using cstick on B moves for advanced techniques specific to some characters.

Noobs use the cstick to spam the same smash moves over and over again. They are also most likely to complain about cstick use, if I were to walk up to them and forward smash them over and over, regardless of how I performed the move. The real question is not if using the cstick is cheap, but why is the same move over and over again working on someone? That would be the only reason I'd do it, and the only reason I could think of why someone would complain if I did it.

Nasanieru

Smash Journeyman
C-Sticking = 4 CHAMPIONS
fix'd.

The C-stick is really useful for pulling of SHFFLed UAirs and Dairs consistently. Also by using the c-stick you can pull of FAirs or BAirs while moving in the opposite direction.

(Facing Right) ex>
Jump->DI Left->FAir (C-stick).
Jump->DI Right->BAir (C-stick).

You can do this without the C-stick but its not as effective as you lose some of your momentum at times. There are other uses for it too, I'm just giving a few examples here.

You need the C-Stick. Use it.

redshift71388

Smash Apprentice
Haha, why would it be for noobs? Because it's easier? So that means Final Destination must be for noobs, because it's an easy stage. Meta Knight must be for noobs, because he's easier to use. Right...

MidniteBlaze

Smash Apprentice
The place I currently reside at is Coral Springs,
C-stick is perfectly legit, or even B-sticking, perfectly legitimate. Period. Make a fight flow better especially when it comes to aerials. There is no reason not to C-stick unless you actually want to charge up the smash attack for a bit and bairs are much easier with just the c-stick.

f.o.b

Smash Cadet
if you're complaining about the benefits of c-stick, you obviously don't KNOW the benefits of c-stick. other than that, if you're worried about a "noob" spamming f-smash with c-stick, you're clearly a "noob" for not knowing how to get around it.

ozg82889

Smash Journeyman
Lol, IMO, someone who does not use the C-stick is a noob. Why not take advantage of something given to you? Besides, many advanced techniques can only be done using the special C-stick, such as wavebouncing (or whatever you would like to call it) and auto-RARing.
i rather use my c-stick for quick smash attacks then for raring and wavebouncing. i can do both without the b-stick and it makes hyphen smashing easy. some people at my school complain about using the c-stick but they are the ones that get 3 or 4 stocked by me or the other better players who use the c-stick without spamming it.

Nintendo_lord

Smash Journeyman
Are you kidding me?! C-sticking for n00bs? C. Falcon would have been nearly unplayable without the spacing his c-stick allowed in Melee. I use it all the time to space my aerials well with Marth, and saying the c-stick is only for n00bs is practically saying your a n00b!

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
This argument is the absolute epitome of unnecessary player insecurity. Unfortunately, it's never going to go away, because we're always going to have insecure players who look for something else to blame their defeats on. I've said a lot about the issue in the past, but I'm not going to bother now. Everyone did a great job of summing up the situation for you so far.

I'll stress, however, that when we start taking self-imposed bans on certain aspects of the game so far as to restrict which areas of your controller you are and are not allowed to touch, it's pretty clear we've gone too far. Though lacking any real validity, arguments that call advanced techniques and physics exploits "unfair" at least stem from some vaguely defensible, though equally stubborn and invalid, standpoint. This comes from no logical source. Forbidding an area of the controller? It doesn't get any more "intended feature" than basic controller use. You really need to reconsider some things if you have a genuine problem with such a benign, absurd thing.

I'll add, also, as clarification to an earlier question, that it is, indeed, not possible to trip using the C-Stick on the ground to Smash, as doing so always ensures frame-perfect execution. A normal smash attack has a several frame window in which to input the two required inputs, direction and A. If the A input comes late, in the frames before the game has realized what you intended, your Control Stick movement is just as susceptible to a trip as any dash, even though the dash is cancelled if an A input is placed within the valid range. The C-Stick will always give both inputs on the same frame, and as such it is not possible to trip with the C-Stick. This is just one of a dozen glaringly obvious benefits to C-Stick use. You are severely limiting yourself to ignore options available to you.

@YoungMoney702, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you've never given pause to consider the options that the C-Stick has to offer, I'm afraid you are, indeed, a relatively inexperienced player. There is no inherent evil in being a "newbie," in being inexperienced, everyone started as such. The stubborn unwillingness to improve, however, is a separate ailment. It's a mindset normally tagged with the word "scrub." Being a scrub means that you impose limits on yourself for no reason other than ill-informed and closed-minded opinions. It's an unwillingness to really play the game, an unwillingness to accept your faults and losses for what they are and work to improve.

There is nothing wrong with being a "newbie," but there are lot of things inherently wrong with being a "scrub," the same things wrong with being pointlessly stubborn in any aspect of life. If you've never given thought to what the C-Stick can do, you are indeed a "newbie," and you should feel no shame in that; yo should feel only a desire to learn and grow and improve. If, now that you've been made aware of just some of the C-Stick's benefits, you refuse to acknowledge them and refuse to consider the options they present you, still, despite being aware of those possibilities, then you will be a "scrub," and you, friend, will have erred.

Don't limit yourself. Play every part of the game, not just one part. Play the game to its fullest. I hope for community sanity that you choose the right path.

Boat Mode

Smash Journeyman
I have plenty of friends who can be considered worse than horrible at brawl(melee too). So I know what I'm saying when I say that C-sticking is only for noobs when the "noob" in question is someone who likes to use the c-stick for its "really strong attacks" that are really easy to use. These also happen to be people who don't dash because they cant stop their character time and forget how to use their recover >_<

Otherwise, the C-stick is great for a quick smashes and ariels, and with brawl's capability to switch what c-stick does, it's possibly the least nooby button/stick on the controller.

homicidalrapist

Smash Apprentice
i love the c stick!!!
in melee i used it to do my aerials but not smashes cuz it was a bit unresponsive sometimes, don't know if it happens to other people tho. besides the hit stun let be string smash attacks without the c stick, so it was okay.

I use it more in brawl for smashes, i find it more responsive than in melee although other people say that it's slower. i don't use it for aerials since i like DI'ing before hits, except when i'm spiking, that's where i use the c stick to prevent fast falling off the stage.:urg:

in my opinion, complaining about the c stick is noobish, it's there for a reason. i just wish i could move it to where the x button is so it would be faster to use that thing.:ohwell:

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
The Brawl quick Smash is much better than Melee's. You can charage it up by holding A as soon as you use it if you want to, it's easier to do it with Ike, King Dedede etc. But the only thing you can't do is to duck and use quick Smash down...

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
You are a noob if you dont take advantage of the C-Stick in SOME Way

DrewbyDewby

Smash Apprentice
i think using C-stick is a MUST,
it ensures that all yur smash attacks come out ASAP otherwise those little moments of lag could ruin your rhythm
also, i like it for aerials because then i can be DI'ing backwards and doing fairs or whatnot

SarsVirus

Smash Cadet
i think using C-stick is a MUST,
it ensures that all yur smash attacks come out ASAP otherwise those little moments of lag could ruin your rhythm
also, i like it for aerials because then i can be DI'ing backwards and doing fairs or whatnot
i agree with hih.

using c stick also allows u to pull out combos faster for example if i use marths fair fair and then dair without c stick for my last dair i woudint be able to get the spike cuz my fingers arnt fast enough for the last attack

Christopher Rodriguez

The illest Project M Bowser
I use C-stick because I'm lazy and it makes smash spamming simple with wolf.

Kidding, Cstick is best used for aerials since you get better air DI out of it. It lets you do alot of stuff and is more flexible than moving the control stick then pressing the button. Also, I always hated charging smashes.

Zetsuei

Smash Cadet
Yes C-sticking should never be used in duels or tournaments. A well-thought out tournament would at least require having all of one type of controller, such as everyone using Wiimote and Nunchuk.

If the competitors decide to all use Gamecube controllers, then it should be allowed, as well as Wavebouncing (B-sticking).

mark.

Smash Journeyman
Real gentlemen play with only one hand and will read a copy of Pride And Prejudice in the other hand while besting their opponent. Any other way is deemed unskillful.
contribute or not, dont be a douche.

and csticking has been useful because it will send out smashes faster than a+joystick, because you can't accidentally charge with the cstick.

I personally use cstick for smashes, a for tilts, and z for aerials.

Riachachi

Smash Rookie
C sticking is just useful for so many different things
It's been said a million times but DI'ing backwards while using Fair, one of the best uses

And spiking with marth without fastfalling

I use it for smashes too, but just because it's simpler and less chance I accidentally tilt or something

TechnoMonster

Smash Ace
This is an argument that's been around since melee, and unless someone has already made a thread about it, i'm sure this will make some people mad.

But anyway, I know some people who use the c-stick in place of the a button for a smash attack. There's really no reason why other than they might mess up and do a regular a move. I think the c-stick is a pretty useless thing to have in the game and just makes it easier for noobs to play. So my question is, why do experienced players use it?

I'm pretty sure you couldn't even use the c-stick in melee's one player modes, but i guess they let you do that now since more people are playing this game.
You're a beast dude, keep using the analog stick and thinking it's for pros, and don't listen to these kids.

I'mma get banned one of these days.

GoForkUrself

Smash Apprentice
lol. Seriously I got a few friends who feel the same way, and I think it is ridiculous. I try to teach them the hard way but they are stubborn. I play as Marth and Ike and spam fairs while moving backwards trying to show them how it isn't for noobs, but rather it is for winning and they are starting to pick up on it, though given they haven't used the c-stick at all, they can't get used to it. Also I use it for smashes, but not because I can't do them without it(I slide around with Snake's mortar all day, so of course I can do something as easy as smash without the C-stick).
Also, news flash, if you say C-sticking is for noobs, then also that means the Z-button is too, because you can grab with shield+attack based on your reasons for denouncing the C-stick.

Top Bottom