• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

C-Sticking = 4 Noobs?

Atercholo

Smash Rookie
This is an argument that's been around since melee, and unless someone has already made a thread about it, i'm sure this will make some people mad.

But anyway, I know some people who use the c-stick in place of the a button for a smash attack. There's really no reason why other than they might mess up and do a regular a move. I think the c-stick is a pretty useless thing to have in the game and just makes it easier for noobs to play. So my question is, why do experienced players use it?

I'm pretty sure you couldn't even use the c-stick in melee's one player modes, but i guess they let you do that now since more people are playing this game.

Dark Crimson

Smash Apprentice
I can get off smashes fast enough without the C-stick, so I switched them to specials. A few people still use the C-stick that I know though, but they aren't spammers or anything, they just use it like they would a smash, and they aren't bad. It may be kind of easier, but it's not the easy way out.

m0rdin

Smash Rookie
I personally use the C-stick for air's. Because when making them with the C-stick there is no additional travel to the attack.

All in all you have to be really really newbie to not be able to perform a smash-attack with the A-button. This only goes for "guests" that play the game less then occasionally

Dlt

Smash Rookie
Real gentlemen play with only one hand and will read a copy of Pride And Prejudice in the other hand while besting their opponent. Any other way is deemed unskillful.

superman969

Smash Journeyman
well the c-stick is useful for some things, like snake dashing, but there are other ways to do it (it's just the easiest way). Hyphen smashing and DLX cancelling or whatever it's called is also made easier by c sticking. I don't use it for normal smashes, but some more advanced moves are made a lot easier by c sticking

Atercholo

Smash Rookie
Yeah, it's useful for some techniques and stuff, but most of the time, just using it to be lazy is dumb.

Bluebottel

Smash Cadet
Why not use it? Because it requires no "skill"? Please, i thought this topic got deemed scrubbish way back in the beginning of Melee.
The C-stick is geniously good and a very large portion/all of the good players use it and some techniques cant be done without it (floating backwards while fairing with Peach, for example.)

Cookiez

Smash Ace
Wow there has been an influx of newbs joining lately, it seems. The C-Stick is widely used and is generally accepted as the standard way of using aerials and smashes. This is because you can retain perfect aerial spacing whilst doing aerial attacks, rather than say, moving forward ever so slightly due to having to fair using "Forward + A", or pulling up short due to performing a bair and having to press "Backwards + A".

Additionally, try Bairing rapidly whilst continuously floating forwards in Peach's float animation. It's only possible using the C-Stick.

Also, in Melee C-Stick smashes came out 1 frame faster. I'm not sure if this is the same in Brawl, however.

Ps. The search option is your friend.

DarkWarCloud

Smash Journeyman
thanks indnkid209 of planetrenders for my sig.
this thread is very pointless for the fact that you are complaining.
C_STICKING IS 4 NUBZ, no it isnt.
some people use the c-stick because it is faster, and that should be reason enough for not getting complaints for using something built into the game.

billywill

Smash Journeyman
Now in Brawl the c-stick is harder to use because you have to let it go back to the middle, so the noobs who just randomly smash it over and over will be smashing the c-stick and their attacks won't be working. Therefore, in Brawl the c-stick requires a bit more skill.

Netz0r

Smash Rookie
Now in Brawl the c-stick is harder to use because you have to let it go back to the middle, so the noobs who just randomly smash it over and over will be smashing the c-stick and their attacks won't be working. Therefore, in Brawl the c-stick requires a bit more skill.
I will admit, this has screwed me over a couple of times, but how that makes me a "noob" I don't know.

DarkWarCloud

Smash Journeyman
thanks indnkid209 of planetrenders for my sig.
if you spin around the c-stick it isnt going to keep hitting, like in melee.
although, spamming the cstick doesnt make you a noob.
the only thing that would make you a noob is spamming something that isnt even effective.
spamming ikes ^B isnt noobish, because it is something that works.

King GeGeGe

Smash Rookie
Real gentlemen play with only one hand and will read a copy of Pride And Prejudice in the other hand while besting their opponent. Any other way is deemed unskillful.
YES. In team matches in melee my friend would sometimes obstruct my use of the left side of my controller after he was killed, and once or twice i managed to c-stick kill the remaining person thanks to them thinking i was worse without my left hand:p

In brawl I use c-stick tilts because i find it hard not to smash, so c-stick tilts were a god send

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
They were and still are mainly used for advanced techniques and very specific spacing for your smashes.. also they are great for airial attacks. In melee, it was impossible to play an effective ganon, without knowing how to short hop stomp out of your shield, and to do that manuver, you needed to c-stick down while rising.

Ørion

Smash Ace
Lol, IMO, someone who does not use the C-stick is a noob. Why not take advantage of something given to you? Besides, many advanced techniques can only be done using the special C-stick, such as wavebouncing (or whatever you would like to call it) and auto-RARing.

shanus

Smash Hero
i will give you an example from melee...

SHFFL uairs as falcon to knee without the c-stick.... its doable, but why the hell force yourself to do it that way.

C-sticking aerials is just too good to pass up

Skrye

Smash Rookie
I've gotten into B-sticking over C-sticking, mainly because Lucario is good with dash combos and force palms, and the c-stick makes it a lot easier. I'm fine using the A button for smashes.

comboking

Smash Master
I guess it is a matter of opinion
and the cstick is not for noobs or ken,M2K,azen,Mango would not use it
oh and i noticed your a smash noob so you must use it LOL JK

just forget about this nintendo put it in the game so we can use it

Not every body uses it!

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
C-sticking for smashing has some advantages, like for up-smash canceling my dashes or boost smashing.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Jumping backwards into a Fair or jumping forwards into a Bair or jumping Upwards into a Dair or fastfalling into an Uair is made a little bit easier using the Cstick >.>

peeup

Smash Lord
It's definately not n00bish to use a function that the programmers intentionally gave you. For snakedashing and hyphensmashing, the c-stick makes things much easier. It's not cheating in any way, experienced players can do it too, so I don't see why some people think its n00by.

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
If you had to get to your friend's house, and you had a bike, would you opt not to use it because it "takes away from the challenge"? No. While playing the guitar, do you think using a capo is "for noobs", since it just means they can't play the song in standard tuning? No. So why do you apply that logic to smash bros? You've got more to worry about then technical skill on the controller, like...playing. There's no reason to make attacking more difficult than it needs to be. Since smashing/aerials with the C-stick is easier than using A + direction, not to mention some stuff is totally -impossible- to do without the C-stick (try fairing while floating backwards with Peach without using the C-stick for the fair), I'd be a fool not to use it.

D13

Smash Ace
Well you see, these 4 noobs walked into a bar, and-

From my experience, people only complain about it when they lose to someone who uses it. It's just something stupid to blame a loss on. But the c-stick was put in the game for a reason, so use it.

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
If I don't use the C-stick my friends will and then get off their attacks faster than I can. I would much rather do the smashing than get smashed.

comboking

Smash Master
it is pandemic of the current culture that those who use CSticks are noobs
and they are over looked except by pros from the depth of their heart the hight of their passion the speed of the their smashes!

Vice Lord

Smash Apprentice
Scarborough, Ontario (Scarberian barbarians)
well i would say more, but you can read over the last 2 pages for many good arguments already. Just know that C-sticking does not make you a noob in any way, quite the opposite actually. Next people will be saying jumping with X/Y makes you noob...

distr0ia

Smash Apprentice
nope, an advanced player knows to take advantage of what the c-stick allows you to do, like bairing immediately after a full jump or dairing without fast-falling

funny thing is the noobs are usually the ones who are ignorant of the c-stick altogether

0m3n5150

Smash Journeyman
It's funny how far you can take such a simple subject.
Bottom line: NOTHING is cheap or unfair. n00bs complain and complain about how some moves are cheap. It's the same idea.
If your opponent uses the c-stick and is beating you because he can Bair whilst DIing forwards with a constant momentum, it's your responsibility to be able to counter that. (and its some incentive to start using the c-stick) =D
To restate the bottom line:
The c-stick has many advantages, so why not use it?
It's your choice to use it or not.
So don't say others are cheap for using it, because you're perfectly capable of learning it.

[/rant]

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
This topic is made of fail...

Lack of tripping on an f-smash is enough on it's own to justify c-stick use.

Something is for noobs if it's an easier way of doing something that is ultimately less effective then normal way. C-sticking has a host of advantages, making it much more useful overall, so in spite of the fact that it's easier, because it's more effective it's also the standard for advanced players.

The advantages of course being the lack of tripping for f-smash, no need to mess up spacing, can be done while inputting a movement direction so if you are required to input a direction for any reason then you can.

The second two are critical to the metagame, and many AT require and will require c-sticking. There are other advantages but overall c-sticking>a+directional input.

Faux

Smash Rookie
I don't care if people use the c-stick. If they want to use it and spam it, good for them. I'll just find a way to counter against it. If using the c-stick makes them better, than I would want them to use it. I'd rather fight someone who's on the same skill level as me, or a even higher skill level than someone who plays like they just got the game. For me, though, I just stick with the A button.

Top Bottom