• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

c-stick shffling question

HLecter

Smash Rookie
Until recently I've always used A for aerials, but I've switched to c-stick and It's been working for everything except shffling. I simply don't have enough time to accurately switch between X and the c-stick. At times I don't even get the right direction on the c-stick because I'm so rushed. So, before I put in a lot of time practicing to get it right, I want to know, is there something I'm missing? Should I be using the control stick to jump?

Ulti

Smash Journeyman
If you have l33t reflexes and control in your left thumb than using the control stick to jump would be okay. If you don't however (this goes for most people), you probably just have to practice speed and precision. Like wavedashing and shffling normally, it'll just take practice.

Baamage

Smash Apprentice
I use my right index finger to jump, with the y button. Then my thumb can be calmly waiting on the C-Stick to do the aerial. My middle finger is on Z so I can l-cancel. (R and L physically take too long to press)

That's how I do it, and when I'm done shffling, I just revert back to my regular style.

Ronin686

Smash Ace
No, do not switch to the control stick to jump. It will take practice to get it down perfectly.

Oh and Baamage... props for finding something different that works for you; however, shffling isn't a separate playing style or anything. It should be incorporated into your game, not a separate thing that you switch into. Also, if needed, you should l-cancel every aerial that you can..

Magus420

Smash Master
If you're shffl'ing you shouldn't really be inputting the attack the moment you leave the ground anyway for the most part. If you're going to l-cancel it you generally want it to come out right before you land, not at the peak of your jump. Between that and his slow *** jump you should have a good 1/4 sec to get to the c-stick after pushing X/Y.

Double airs and auto cancels on the other hand would be what you want to do as you leave the ground and can be tough with the c-stick. I usually use the A button for the first to make sure they come out as low/soon as they possibly can be then use the c-stick for the 2nd if I double air.

linkmastersword

Smash Lord
yeah, I rarely find myself using an aerial attack before I reach my peak of the short hop. then I just execute the attack, ff, then l cancel. maybe your order is slightly off. do you fast fall before executing the attack?

that may be the reason why the timing is off.

UchihaDemon

Smash Cadet
dont worry dude, c-sticking takes a little practice. i had the same problem making the switch. just keep at using the x or y to jump and c-sticking for aerials. the main problem i had geting used to it was properly directing the stick. but ull get the hand of it in no time

cu00x19

Smash Apprentice
Slightly unrelated...I main Falco so I have to shffl ALOT. And I mean SHLs, pillars, and general comboing.

So here I am moving my fingers really fast with lots of precision. I got that way b/c of loads and loads of practice. And Miss Practice is a very beautiful habit to get into, my friend. Do her alot, b/c it is awesome! You won't regret it.

Also, I practice my tech skillz with Fox, just b/c he is the speediest (in general) character in Melee. I mean, he's got a fricking 2 frame lag for jump start up! Holding the jump button/direct for more than 2 frames means you full jump, so anything 2 frames or less (thats about 1/30 of a second) in a shffl.

In conclusion, if you can do advanced tech with Fox, you can do it with everyone else. One other thing; practice on level 1 CPUs, not in training mode for your c-sticking...In one player, c-stick is camera zoom, not aerial.

I forgot what else to beside this: Get better so that I may money match you!

~Life

Tundravalco

Smash Journeyman
c-sticking wont take you very long to get it right. eventually your going to wonder how you got along without it. just press whatever button you press to jump and slide it over to the c stick and press the direction and shffle away. practice practice practice.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
I only SHFFL using the c-stick, because I often switch between moving forward and backward while doing aerials. This is just much more difficult to control with the analog. Just practice with the c-stick, its the best way to go IMO

BTW, I sometimes use the analog to increase the speed of my anti-hops

Madlobster

Smash Apprentice
i had the same problem when i started shffling with the c-stick, but i got used to it after practicing alot, some of my friends also had this problem, but practice makes perfect :D

Top Bottom