• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

C-stick settings Smash or attack?

Should Ryu mains have C-stick set to Attack?

• Total voters

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
Hey Guys. After messing with Ryu for a few hours I changed C-stick to "Attack" versus "Smash". Normally it's nothing special but because of Ryu having a weak and strong versions of his tilts the change is a bit more pronounced. Basically you will only get the weak version of his tilts. No matter how long you hold the Cstick you will always get the weaker ones.

Now the tradeoff it seems is that you cannot preform the weaker tilts as fast, Im using a wii u pro so it might be different on GC Pads. The reason I made this thread is to get public opinion if maybe having Ryu's C-stick set to "attack" versus "Smash".

I feel it might help since, in panic situations, we might hold A versus tapping it and our SRK kill becomes a Heavy Utilt. We don't lose access to smashes, you might have to be more conscious of your Smash attack inputs though. Although preforming Oos Usmash might be a bit trickier.

I feel like asking the Ryu boards someone might find something I might be missing and this could help Ryu players in general.

Edit: Also because the Cstick doesn't count for our special input we don't have to move the Analog stick as much to get a SRK or other special moves.

Last edited:

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
I tried it out as a lot of people recommended it. I found myself preferring to keep c-stick to smash, and just learned the weak tilt's timing. To me, it's the same difference as short hop vs. full hop.

I do see uses of setting c-stick to attacks however, especially due to Smash 4's physics in aerials, just not my personal preference. And as mentioned, I was not a fan of not performing tilts as fast.

Biggest thing as well is that I do not want to create a tag specifically for Ryu as it becomes inconvenient in tournies - especially when I switch up characters.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Tilt stick makes your Light tilts come out the first frame possible as far as I know, which would then make it clearly superior for Ryu. If you try to do Light tilts with the A button, you actually can end up delaying their startup by a few frames.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
It is player preference. Don't let anyone fool you otherwise.
This. Unless there is some AT that requires you to have an a-stick (like Link's soft throw) then it's just personal preference.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Tilt stick makes your Light tilts come out the first frame possible as far as I know, which would then make it clearly superior for Ryu. If you try to do Light tilts with the A button, you actually can end up delaying their startup by a few frames.
I tested this earlier and to me tilts with C-stick set to Attack came out slower then me simply quickly tapping a button set to attack. Soooooo, yea. I doubt C-stick attack actually makes them come out at the first possible frame.

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
I tested this earlier and to me tilts with C-stick set to Attack came out slower then me simply quickly tapping a button set to attack. Soooooo, yea. I doubt C-stick attack actually makes them come out at the first possible frame.
Yeah I tested both and using the normal method, non C-stick, is faster versus C-stick. One of the benefits, at least to me, is that since C-stick input doesn't affect command inputs you don't have to go from a Up position on the analog to a SRK motion, which might cause errors for some people. With C-stick you can have the analog towards the opponent and the second you hitconfirm weak Utilt you can input the Hadoken motion and you get SRK.

That being said i've only had C-stick set to attack for a day, whereas I have had smash on it for much longer. I'll continue using it for about a week and see if it's better for hitconfirming SRK.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
As far as I can tell it's impossible to do walking forward utilts at full speed without the use of cstick set to attack.

There's a notch you can hold the stick at that lets you walk forward and utilt but it's very precise and you do a slow walk forward.

If you want to do the walk forward utilt lock on fast fallers imo cstick on attack is the only way. If you walk forward and quickly utilt with the A button you will always get an upsmash.

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
I prefer having it set to attack for aerials. C-Stick set to Attack just makes aerials easier unlike having it set to smashes because you have to flick the c-stick or you can't control your movement in the air. Having C-Stick set to attack is preferred for some characters like Falcon because of his falling uair but I think it just boils down to player preference really. I prefer using regular tilt inputs on Ryu though because you can't use his utilt1 and dtilt1 fast with the c-stick.

Last edited:

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
Yeah, the only reason why I think certain Ryu players would like Cstick set to attack is A) you know you're getting a weak tilt no matter what and B) easier time to input SRK. There are some more benefits but I believe those two are the biggest Pros for switching to attack C-stick.

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
How about changing it to a b-stick though? Has anyone tried is Ryu can wavebounce?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I prefer having it set to attack for aerials. C-Stick set to Attack just makes aerials easier unlike having it set to smashes because you have to flick the c-stick or you can't control your movement in the air. Having C-Stick set to attack is preferred for some characters like Falcon because of his falling uair but I think it just boils down to player preference really. I prefer using regular tilt inputs on Ryu though because you can't use his utilt1 and dtilt1 fast with the c-stick.
C stick stick still helps you get the first tilt input frame perfect. Just do the chain cancels with the A button like normal. It's not hard at all.

tbh ever since the A+B button Smash input changes, I'd generally argue tilt stick is clearly superior. I personally don't yet use it because I'm bad and still used to doing C stick for pivot F-smash. Only characters who should use Smash stick have to REALLY benefit from perfect pivot D-smash/F-smash. So basically...that's Falco and maybe Little Mac?

Last edited:

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
C stick stick still helps you get the first tilt input frame perfect. Just do the chain cancels with the A button like normal. It's not hard at all.

tbh ever since the A+B button Smash input changes, I'd generally argue tilt stick is clearly superior. I personally don't yet use it because I'm bad and still used to doing C stick for pivot F-smash. Only characters who should use Smash stick have to REALLY benefit from perfect pivot D-smash/F-smash. So basically...that's Falco and maybe Little Mac?
Right I need to be give A+B a shot and see if there's something there.

Also sorry for being away had some personal stuff to deal with. Thanks for your guys responses on this matter.

Renegade TX2000

Smash Ace
C-stick to attack is the only way for this warrior.
You guys have no idea how powerful a perfect shield into c stick "up tilt" is. It is the most broken thing I can possibly imagine out of shield. It's faster then OOS UP smash if you just shield then up tilt with the c stick...

All it takes is this... Perfect shield, C stick up tilt, EX shoryu. And that's all she wrote..

Thing is you lose mobility with his smashes on the go =( Harder to space and poke with and even comboing with.

There's positives and negatives in my opinion when changing c stick to smash or attack.

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
You guys have no idea how powerful a perfect shield into c stick "up tilt" is. It is the most broken thing I can possibly imagine out of shield. It's faster then OOS UP smash if you just shield then up tilt with the c stick...

All it takes is this... Perfect shield, C stick up tilt, EX shoryu. And that's all she wrote..

Thing is you lose mobility with his smashes on the go =( Harder to space and poke with and even comboing with.

There's positives and negatives in my opinion when changing c stick to smash or attack.
Yeah we are disussing OoS options in Here. Also So far, for Ryu at least, im liking Tilts on Cstick going to try A+B Smash to see if that alleviates the missing smash C stick.

Last edited:

kAffo

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ask
But would you consider these pros of C-stick tilts ( Easier Method of walking T U-tilt "infinite", first frame perfect T Tilts) pivotal or at least somewhat important to Ryu's game? If so then I believe the answer to Ryu's optimum control scheme is pretty clean cut.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, my knowledge of Ryu's mechanics, meta etc. are most probably much less than all of you here, so please excuse me.

@ icraq icraq , would you say that notch allowing for a similar substitution of the walking T U-tilt "infinite" without the use of C-Stick tilts, be a good supplement for C-stick Smash users, or not?

Thank You All :)

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
But would you consider these pros of C-stick tilts ( Easier Method of walking T U-tilt "infinite", first frame perfect T Tilts) pivotal or at least somewhat important to Ryu's game? If so then I believe the answer to Ryu's optimum control scheme is pretty clean cut.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, my knowledge of Ryu's mechanics, meta etc. are most probably much less than all of you here, so please excuse me.

@ icraq icraq , would you say that notch allowing for a similar substitution of the walking T U-tilt "infinite" without the use of C-Stick tilts, be a good supplement for C-stick Smash users, or not?

That's one of the best reasons, Imo, to have C--stick set to attack just having much more room for error for tilts in general. That and you always get weak utilts and if you are so inclined to end a weak tilt combo with a strong Tilt it's easy enough to input a direction and hold A.

BlueBirdE

Smash Journeyman
c stick set to attack frees your other hand to input true specials much easier especially for ditlt shoryu and since using cstick doesnt activate the true special i can buffer like crazy if I want to.
also its a guaranteed weak version for the tilts.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986

I'd say not, but it can be surmounted. If someone really loves cstick smash then, with enough practice, it may be possible.

iLLEST

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iLLESTm3
The main reason I use attack stick is for utilt1, and i'm kinda learning to use ftilt1. I use downA for dtilt1 xx srk.

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
Tilts make for the infinite easier in my experience.
*sigh* Please stop referring to it as an infinite. Ive tried with all the cast and everyone can break out eventually, usually ~7 reps of weak Utilt is the average.

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
*sigh* Please stop referring to it as an infinite. Ive tried with all the cast and everyone can break out eventually, usually ~7 reps of weak Utilt is the average.
Assuming they don't break out. I know all that jargon. Personally use Wiimote and Nunchuck because I'm too used to the controller at this point. I went from GC controller to Wiichuck just to DITCIT as Mega Man easily.

cot(θ)

Smash Journeyman
Using the C-stick for attacks allows you to buffer EX inputs while inputting a jab, up-tilt, or down-tilt.

Don't let anyone fool you into thinking it's "player preference" when there are objective mechanical advantages to certain control schemes.

.Alpha.

Smash Rookie
NNID
xxvAlphavxx
Perfect pivot smashes with timing or even A+B if you can get used to it, but setting it to attack may not give a vast advantage in options it ABSOLUTELY is more advantageous. One simply just considering the way tilts work their range and the, also simple, fact that you must tilt other direction to walk/roll or commit to approaching with jump/nair jump to get these tilts out, I recommend if you feel you are missing out on positioning hand wise for the rest of your buttons, I've been using z as jump (possibly trigger would work as well for some who cant get over z grab but that makes short hopping a pain with the trigger pressure mechanics) which I got from a good ZSS main trying to achieve perfect u airs with the c stick while maintaining proper aerial DI for up B. That aerial DI I just mentioned also is a obvious advantage to c stick attack as you can get the weak hit of dash attack (meaning the attack is ending as it hits and the weak knock back puts them practically straight above you and with this z jump/c-attack scheme your hands are free to full hop DI forward and get a sweetspot bair at most percents, for just one tested and in depth example off the top of my head. This character is ridiculously technical, with a plethora of options in each scenario that smash stick wont cover. Especially being your only downside is having to input smashes(That shouldn't need much with this character anyway accept for F-smash) and your upsmash out of shield being harder to input, still regular shoryuken though. Oh yeah and the down tilt down smash and uptilt upsmash, both tilts have better follow ups though so. Its hard to master yet give it a try past the first couple attempts and as you pick up speed you notice it in combos and what it opens up. I had a hard time learning since I started on 64/Melee as a kid with the same old controls, yet setting y and x both as grab it punishes those mistakes for you by making you grab when you want to jump follow up or air dodge when attempting to recover.

Edit: PS: I forgot to mention that with this setup I still use the a button for the speed hits at certain times (punishes,ledge-guards. hit confirms out of focus attack/nair/dair etc.) considering its easy to space and get off, otherwise getting 2 max 3 extra weak tilts( a whopping 3%/4% dmg lost) over spacing these deadly hit-confirm/combo saving tools as optimally as possible isn't worth it.

Last edited:

FUEGO!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MontyRattata
Okay, so I'm no Ryu main, BUT, I can say that while playing him, I actually really enjoy having the stick set to Attack, because most of his tilts combo into each other, right? Well, his jab combos into tilts as well, and when you have an attack stick, you just tilt it into a diagonal space to get a jab. This means sometimes you can just flick in random directions and actually have a string come out of it and it's hilarious.

Top Bottom