• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

C-Stick issues

Azash

Smash Rookie
For anyone using the gamecube controller, does anyone else have a problem with their c-stick not performing smash attacks?

I've tried multiple controllers and continue to have the same bizarre problem. Sometimes it smashes, sometimes it doesn't, and will just sit there.

Azash

Smash Rookie
Any ideas? It's really annoying me, thinking I may have to go to the Wiimote.

Rawr!

Smash Cadet
Haha, my brother was having problems with that. I told him to clean the stick with some alchohol...

It still didn't work. So, I tried out his controller by rotating the stick. I realized that Brawl needs the c-stick to go back to the center for another attack to be executed. So after you smash, release the stick and everything will be fine.

This was also confirmed by another user.

Eggm

Smash Hero
I had this issue at the game stop tournament with their gc controllers, but with my own no issues yet.

Smashmen

Smash Cadet
You have to move the C-stick when it is in the center if u dont do it when it is in the center it dont get it

Egaseci

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4897-6004-1540
You have to make sure after each individual smash that the c-stick is reset back to the middle (take your thumb off of the c-stick). It's annoying. :(

Dreminem

Smash Cadet
wow, yeah, I tried to smash my bro while we were playing. I smashed the C-stick up like 5 times and he was just sitting there using counter, but I never attacked lol. We both looked like idiots xD.

vx13

Smash Rookie
I'm a C-Stick fan too and you're right. The C-Stick system require a more precise tap. Sucks. I know.

Zyphent

Smash Apprentice
My brother had this problem with my wavebird. We just turned it off, then back on and it worked again.
Its not quite that, thats the controller.

Theres seems to be something in the game that actually causes it to not read smash attacks, sometimes it will, sometimes it wont.

Same thing happens for me.

usea

Smash Ace
This has been annoying me a great deal as well. If the solution really is to just reset the stick to neutral, I'll have to get used to that. I'll try it out at home today to see.

Azash

Smash Rookie
So, I found my solution.

After years of playing Melee against my best friend, we were pretty sure that we would be using gamecube controllers in Brawl. After finding out all these c-stick issues, which used to be incredibly precise, I gave up my c-stick for the Wiimote+Nunchuck.

Long hours of playing tonight, I have finally gotten really comfortable with the Wii+N. I feel like the buttons are a little more sensitive and precise than the gamecube controllers. I changed the directional pad on the Wiimote to side smash and up smash, and the down arrow is not my jump. (I couldn't get used to the jump on the left hand, just felt wrong to me). I'm glad to say that assigning smash moves to the directional pad assures fast c-stick like smashes when necessary. It's also great for throwing items, which is something that I always used the c-stick for in melee. The lack of a down smash on my controller isn't awful, I just couldn't find a good place to put it so I've gotten in the habit of doing it manually.

I think I'm happier with the Wii+N, but that remains to be seen.

Thanks for all the advice about the c-stick, hope this is some help to you guys with similar problems.

MeHo

Smash Cadet
When the sticks on my controllers aren't centered; I usually blow into one of the sticks while rotating it in a circle for a few seconds and that usually fixes it. Stupid I know, but it has worked for me.

alphameric

Smash Ace
SOLUTION : RESET THE CONTROLLER

start + x + y for 3 seconds, your controller will reset and all will be fine.
best to do before choosing a character since if you are ready, start will begin the game, and so you can see your controller being reset.

if you arent sure it worked, move your cstick around in the menu and make sure it tilts the screen in all directions.

this method > unplugging/replugging because it works everytime and is faster. If this doesnt work, then your controller is ****ed, end of story.

/thread

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
I had also had this problem, as I'm an avid fan of the C-stick as well. I wasn't sure if it was my controller's C-stick acting up or something to do with the game. Thanks for the information about letting it fall back to neutral after a move. I'm not near my wii at the moment to test, but if the fix is that simple, I think I can probably adjust to that without too much hassle.

RaptorHawk

Smash Ace
SOLUTION : RESET THE CONTROLLER

start + x + y for 3 seconds, your controller will reset and all will be fine.
best to do before choosing a character since if you are ready, start will begin the game, and so you can see your controller being reset.

if you arent sure it worked, move your cstick around in the menu and make sure it tilts the screen in all directions.

this method > unplugging/replugging because it works everytime and is faster. If this doesnt work, then your controller is ****ed, end of story.

/thread
Seems to me like this is a solution if it looks like your c-stick isnt working, but not related to brawl.

I'm kinda glad to see I wasn't the only one experiencing this. I'm 100% sure it is not my controllers as they all work perfectly in melee so apparently this is something weird happening with brawl.

I've notice since the day I got brawl that often for some reason or another the c-stick does not respond. At first I thought to myself that maybe I was not used to the game yet and was doing it too soon after doing stuff, but by the next day I was sure that it wasn't me especially after my friends mentioned it to me without me ever bringing it up.

alphameric

Smash Ace
resetting your controller will always correct any issues you have with it.
it has been like that since the n64, and the method applies with melee and every other game where the GC controller is being used.

Wii or GC, and any game, it doesn't matter.

Also note that the C-Stick does not work in some situation any more.
For example, you can no longer roll out of shield with the C-Stick.

K1T3

Smash Lord
Yeah that C-stick nonsense has been pissing me off for awhile, I thought it had something to do with the new buffer system, but good to know I just need to let it go back to neutral

Thino

Smash Master
There is also the fact that the C-stick isnt analog-sensitive just like L and R buttons anymore, to make it fair with the other controller , I've heard of that issue long ago. so along with resetting , it might require to press the c-stick farther or even smash it

Buuman

Smash Ace
Something similar was happening to me, I would try to shff aerials, but sometimes, instead of performing the aerial with the C-stick, the char would jump in the direction I press the c-stick, its kinda annoying but w/e

Doomgaze

Smash Apprentice
This is just bull****.

I've tried several BRAND NEW official controllers and occasionally you just hear "click-click-click" without a smash coming out. I mean obviously, if you hear that clicking sound, it means the c-stick got centered in between, right??
It's ridiculous.

Just flick it. Seriously, this entire situation is out of hand. Flick it with your thumb, sliding your thumb off the stick. It'll return to neutral before your move even finishes.

/thread

Top Bottom