• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Burntsock's Yoshi: Please critique/comment. New vids

D

Deleted member

I'm pretty sure someone at todays tourney will be fimling, hopefully ill get far enough to get filmed :-P. Wish me luck :/

D

Deleted member

Oh noez, no video. It sux, cuz im like 100 times better than i am in these videos (maybe i roll too little even :/). I didn't win any tourney matches, cuz i suck, but at least i got to play some good peps in friendlies, and now i hate ganny too (ganny and falco are my two prime contenders for least favorite matchup). I've learned that ive gotta work on my tech skill while under pressure, cuz i always mess up djcs, and ive got to work on...fighting ganny. I just cant penetrate their wall of mindgamez and fairs.

bigman40

Smash Master
lol. Maybe I can get some vids from a tournament up. It's on Feb.1 though :( Ugh, it's hard not having anyone around me (or tournaments).

Xanthyr

Smash Journeyman
Oh noez, no video. It sux, cuz im like 100 times better than i am in these videos (maybe i roll too little even :/). I didn't win any tourney matches, cuz i suck, but at least i got to play some good peps in friendlies, and now i hate ganny too (ganny and falco are my two prime contenders for least favorite matchup). I've learned that ive gotta work on my tech skill while under pressure, cuz i always mess up djcs, and ive got to work on...fighting ganny. I just cant penetrate their wall of mindgamez and fairs.
Aww, good ol' Ganny ain't that bad. Do not get hit be their fair, as it cancels out the second jump, as I'm sure you've found out. To avoid that, try to get in above them or below them when recovering an try to read what they'll do. Usually if they're a few character spaces from you, they'll use a down or side-B, if you're directly near them, they'll try to aerial you. Every player is different, so just feel the situations out. If you're anticipating a B-move, then air-dodge towards them right when they initiate it. If you touch ground first, then wavedash backwards or just plain ol' shield will do.

If they're going to swat you in mid-air, then you want to touch ground as fast as possible, to do so you either just avoid them, or air-dodge/waveland past them and go in for punishment as they're still in the air. Sometimes you can even airdodge away to grab the ledge depending where the action is. You can also use Yoshi's down-b ledge cancel as a recovery if you're wary of a fairin' Ganondorf.

A good Ganondorf has to have some sort of mind trickery up his sleeve. A way to counter-act this? Play like a ******, that's a mindgame in itself. Actually though, you need to be able to plan on the fly when fighting anyone good, especially a tree-toppling maniac like Ganondorf. When they start SHFFL'in fairs everywhere then that's when you do something magical, wavedash>eggthrow. Sometimes you don't even need to wavedash. Pop him in the face with an egg and then enter an uair juggle for yourself. Be sure to trick the Ganondorf during your juggle, because once his stun wears off, he'll try to time a d-air to your skull.

To prevent this madness what you do is keep juggling until the stun wears off. Do a jump as if you were going to attack again and immediately airdodge back to the ground. A person with an itchy trigger finger will have shot their d-air off, lending you the perfect time to do any aerial move you'd want. Now they really have egg in their faces! PUN! Happy Birthday.

That's from the top of my head, I hope it assist you in your endeavor against one of the awesome kings of evil from Nintendo.

D

Deleted member

Ty. Fairs are the main problem, they just keep shorthopping fairs, being defensive, and if i start egging them, they use platform approaches. :/ Well, im sure the gannons i played were better than me in skill, maybe if i played a little worse ones :/ One of them is 2nd best ganny in socal, and played gabe (not sure if he won or not, but i got 4 stocked :/ Bad experience :o) Thanks for those tips anywho, ill remember that.

D

Deleted member

How i approach, thats a tough one. I guess i throw eggs and try and make my opponent approach, or look for openings. Or i just run in and hope for the best :/ Anyways, me and hb are gonna be filming tonight. They will probably be better (i'm way better than before), but we will see.

Xanthyr

Smash Journeyman
Something I started to fall in love with is a wavedash feint into shffl nair-chain. It works with all characters wonderfully.

You dash at them, get close and then suddenly wavedash backwards. You get close to the enemy, and when you wavedash, all their eyes see is a quick movement. The most common reaction is the attack when they see the burst in speed, making them whiff. You then dash forward and shffl a nair. Depending on the damage and such, you can go straight into another nair, or you have to land and do an up-angled f-tilt into another nair. I can drive the heavier characters like DK and Bowser all over the stage by doing this. If you can keep the pace up, you then can fair them into a spiky death.

Can't wait to see the videos.

D

Deleted member

First page is edited. Videos are being uploaded as we speak. Sorry bout the quality. Please Critique, or at least watch. TY, and i hope u enjoy.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Just saw the new one.

It looks a bit better--I'm gonna be back to drop my two cents in a bit. I need to go stuff my face. For a few hours. >_>

I'll be back.

Xanthyr

Smash Journeyman
Learn to record better! There were times I couldn't even see the characters on screen. You've definitely improved, especially since the last I saw your videos, you were a roll spamming slug. I saw nice DJC dodging techniques which made that Shiek fly into your clutches. The second stock on the second video made me very happy to watch happen.

I'm not going to say much more, I'll let Shiri take the reins.

D

Deleted member

I know i know, i was recording from a mac laptop, dont be hatin :yoshi: Me and hb are gonna pitch in for a capture card soon. Anyways, sorry for the lack of videos, and good quality ones. We had to move the laptop, and i guess when we moved it, we put it back at a bad angle :/

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Mmmmm, that was tasty. I can barely move. LOL

Okay, not gonna get on your case about the quality, since it's something that everyone deals with sooner or later (tip: if you're having trouble watching the match, look on the bigscreen of the stadium and it shows the action just fine! ^_^ LOL). Right, so yeah, you have gotten better. I want to critique the Sheik more, but this is more about you.

First, don't be so quick to double jump out of one of Sheik's attacks.
She would hit you with an aerial or a tilt and you'd immediately double jump away and into back air (most times). You should be crouching Sheik more at lower percents, but be VERY careful about grabs. Meteors are nice with the forward air, but be wary about your placement when performing the move. If Sheik starts meteor canceling, her Up+B breaks your double jump (which you will most likely need to get back on the stage) at lots of really dumb low percentages, so be careful. Also, be careful with your double jump off the stage in general. You seemed kind of liberal with it, but I don't like to toy around with the DJ--especially when them Sheiks are around and up to no good. Much better, though.

And Xanthyr, no need to let me "take the reins," your advice is just as good as mine or anybody else's, so yeah. I just like to post lots, so don't mind me.

Wow, I'm...kinda hungry again. =_=

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Oh word, I didn't know there was one in the Sheik boards. I'll check it out.

As soon as I'm...done with this plate... ^_^;

D

Deleted member

Shiri is a true yoshi, never stops eatin :laugh: Anyways, thx for the advice. HB never could meteor cancel :laugh: and even shieks that do never seem to knock me out of DJ (or hit my with up b for that matter). Ya, double jumping out of his tilt spam may be bad, but its the only way i could break out of cheap ftilt juggle. How do u break out of it, i cant djc through it, he hits me too fast, and i doubt u can DI out of it (though my getting out of combo DI is pretty bad).

Sharky

Smash Master
another little note that nobody else mentioned, work on the eggs. particularly predicting where the opponent's gonna be, tis the sign of a true eggsman =D :yoshi:

D

Deleted member

Yea, ill work on that, though my eggs are usually a bit better than they were in that vid. Anyone else?

Top Bottom