• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bullying in Competitive Smash

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
That's tier whoring. In the eyes of the public, that's seen as dishonorable, and the sort of thing that incites hate.
Because a lot of people have a scrub-like mentality, where things like grabbing, using the same move multiple times, or picking a good character is seen as "cheap". It's not a good thing to be a scrub, though. See this: http://www.sirlin.net/ptw-book/introducingthe-scrub

People getting hated for playing a top tier is ridiculous. This seems to happen to Bayonetta players as well, and it's still ridiculous. Either ban the character (for Smash 4, don't) or accept that it's a part of the game. Brawl probably would have had a more interesting metagame if Meta Knight were banned. Since he was allowed for most of the game's lifetime, playing him was a legitimate choice, especially if you were trying to make money out of the game (like ZeRo). It is true that ZeRo picks the characters he thinks will most likely make him win, but can anyone really fault him for that?

As for being a "very boring" player, he barely ever goes for timeouts. Even in the Inventational he didn't play really defensively until the last 15 seconds or so, and at that point that was likely his only realistic way of winning. Almost everyone would have done the same in the same situation if they were serious about winning.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
I think the problem with "...in the eyes of the public..." is that viewers/people not in tone with the technical aspect of the game can think a lot, sometimes a lot that isn't necessarily reasonable. I remember reading this Youtube comment about how they "banned" edgeguarding when they played since it was "unsportsmanlike" and "you're supposed to let your opponent come back to the stage for a fair fight". Some really inexperienced people can think great characters are terrible and terrible characters are great (See: Most casuals think Melee Peach, Sheik and Ice Climbers are terrible while Link and Kirby are cheap).
The viewers can think whatever they want about "tier whoring" and "strategies they don't like" or whatever, but that doesn't mean that those are actually dishonourable.
BTW, Armada and HBox hate were far worse back some 8-9 years ago, but it still manifests iself sometimes:

Last edited:

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
Oof, looks like we got a hot-button issue here. Btw how SHOULD one handle the toxicity of these communities? Seems to me that there isn't one easy solution here.

Heracr055

Smash Ace
On playing lame: the Smash community should grow up and accept playing timeout as a legitimate option. Adhere to the rules that we all follow in the competitive setting. Zero, Salem, Ken, etc should be applauded for winning by any means necessary.
Oof, looks like we got a hot-button issue here. Btw how SHOULD one handle the toxicity of these communities? Seems to me that there isn't one easy solution here.
The best way to handle this would be to be a welcoming and polite scene at grassroots level. This in turn would encourage players to enter the Smash scene, keep them there, and share that courtesey with new players. Build the right attitude from the ground up.

Last edited:

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
The best way to handle this would be to be a welcoming and polite scene at grassroots level. This in turn would encourage players to enter the Smash scene, keep them there, and share that courtesey with new players. Build the right attitude from the ground up.
How do we do THAT when the main issue is viewers from the outside looking in or newcomers just coming into the game? We can adopt a more welcoming attitude but not everyone appreciates it.

moe2144

Smash Rookie
What do you mean with this? What's bad about being against bullying?
Im not against defending bullying as a whole. But the definition of bullin has been ever expanding recently and I don't feel that there is actual bullying done here

I've already said my piece and i'm done with this subject. I'm just going to quote this post from this thread as I think it sums up everything perfectly. Alot of y'all need to accept the hard truth

This.
It's part of competition and you're supposed to develop tough skin. If you're not up for that, then fame, glory, and competition are not for you. Asking for this to be moderated is a great way to completely sterilize the scene. Haters gonna hate, people, and especially ZeRo should either learn to cope with it, or choose a different career.

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
I'm not too sure what you mean by viewers and new players being a "main issue". Can you please clarify that?
What's there to clarify? The toxicity isn't particularly coming from the smash veterans or from the stars of smash. Rather the toxicity comes from the viewers who watch Smash or from scrubs who just came in relatively recently. We already said something along these lines before.

TheHumanSonikku

Smash Cadet
Alot of y'all need to accept the hard truth
That doesn't make it ok for people to do it in the first place. We shouldn't just ignore it and give it a free pass all because it is somehow seen as normal. It is not ok to threaten someone, especially because they play a game better than other people.

Himura Kenshin

Smash Journeyman
Lucina mains get a lot of crap. People say our character is pointless "wasted slot",
Shoulda been Chrom, js. Honestly though, Lucina coulda easily had a unique moveset, making her position in game make more sense. I blame the devs for being lazy.

When it comes to bullying just be a man about it. Tell the person to shut the **** up if they're insulting you. If you're an American you have the right to defend yourself. If you're not super buff bring a pocket knife. Get ccw and bring a firearm, it's not like they do a body search when you enter anyway. Just don't let people walk over you. Don't go around looking for a fight, but damn. At least stand up for yourself.

Tell them you're here to compete and win. Mad about something exploitive in the game? Ok, that's the devs lack of competence at fault. Sure the player can not use it. But sports has a history of cheating anyway. You really can't expect someone to not use a exploit (like hooha or bayo combo) in a competitive setting.

D

Deleted member

That doesn't make it ok for people to do it in the first place. We shouldn't just ignore it and give it a free pass all because it is somehow seen as normal. It is not ok to threaten someone, especially because they play a game better than other people.
You're not gonna stop it, and bringing extra attention is only gonna make it worse. First day on the internet? You should know how to deal with trolls by now.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
If you're not super buff bring a pocket knife. Get ccw and bring a firearm, it's not like they do a body search when you enter anyway.
This is flat out bad advice that could make you end up in jail (if you use them, anyway). The right to self-defense is rather limited, and you really don't want to overdo it.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Not gonna respond to responses to my comment about changing mains, because that's not the main topic.
My apologies. If you like Ganondorf, use him. He was a character I had fun using in Melee as well. My brother and I would joke about him whenever he would jump because it sounds like he says, "Tech!" I'd use the purple color, since that is my favorite cool color. What color do you use, if you don't mind me asking?

When someone gets death threats for playing a specific character/playing well, that's when things need to change.
I completely agree, and I admit, I have felt antipathy for those like dabuz. I was aware of him since Brawl, and after hearing someone say to him, "Your pop-off sucks!" in a crowd at Civil War, I felt like that wasn't very nice. That's not being a bully, of course, but dabuz is one of those other Smash professionals who is hated on simply for using Rosalina & Luma. I've had a change of heart since toward the man and he's not unlikeable. I've never met him in person, but I've seen a few of his videos on his YouTube channel and he does helpful things for the community as well with his analysis videos.

When someone is asking to get better and is told to stop being a noob, that's not helpful at all.
That's true. Being rude may not be bullying, but I think it helps perpetuate such behavior. It may encourage bullies to continue bullying because no one is calling it out.

If the community as a whole isn't willing to denounce bullying in any way, shape, or form, even if bullying itself is always going to be a constant, that's going to show the rest of the world how toxic said community truly is.
Bullying in competitive Smash is a serious issue, one I've seen firsthand done to myself and to others.
Bullying extends outside of the competitive Smash scene. Now, I'm not one to say, "Don't trash talk" when it's obvious that such a thing is playful. I watched a video recently of Nairo trash-talking on ZeRo, but I'm aware that they're friends and I doubt ZeRo took such thing personally.

All of this. Right now, the huge majority of this community is filled with immature kids who get salty over the tiniest things and tell people to kill themselves because of it. They think it's ok to put down others for their skill level/character choice/play style. That's not ok, period.
So true. Even online, we see behaviors like this on For Glory where people are just plain rude. I've been called a "b*****" because I tried spacing with Samus. I've been called a spammer as well. I was called a "tier ho" yesterday because I used Zero Suit Samus. She's my secondary. I don't use her often online. Samus is my main. But even then, someone named Austin, who used the tag ADUBZ was outright rude to me and kept taunting even when I hadn't lost my stock. Such behavior is uncalled for.

Even Elegant, a Luigi main, recently fought someone named Koga. His name is longer than that, but I just referred to him as Koga. Anyway, after Elegant taunted at Koga, and Koga proceeded to defeat him the second stock, I guess he told Elegant that's what happens when you taunt, Elegant turned his head away, rolled his eyes, and then taunted a lot the third match. I'm no fan of Elegant. Never have been. But this behavior was also uncalled for. It wasn't friendly. It wasn't playful. It was just downright rude and spiteful. I've seen ESAM taunt others, but he doesn't appear to be doing it out of spite or rudeness.

Maybe some people would say I need to grow a thicker skin, and they're right. I do. But that doesn't mean the feelings I experience when someone taunts me to upset me, or taunts others to upset them aren't real or aren't happening in the present. I know that even if taunts were removed, people would still find ways to taunt by dance-dashing or squatting or whatever. Still, it would be much appreciated if people would just be a little nicer. Even people who play competitively want to have fun and an enjoyable experience. Being rude will push some people away.

ZeRo wouldn't receive so much bullying if he didn't play the pity card to try and earn attention all the time.
So it's fine to bully people, even if you believe their intent is to play the pity card?

His tweet on the article "this is the first piece I've read that humanizes me" was overly pretentious and self fellating, if he didn't do **** like THAT all the time, he wouldn't incite so many trolls to come after him.
So, ZeRo is at fault for people going after him? Maybe, just maybe, he actually felt humanized. Suppose ZeRo was being "overly pretentious" and all that. Why should he receive the stuff he does? Really, it sounds to me like you're defending such behavior under the guise of trolling. Let's be honest. These people who are trolling are really just being assholes, and it doesn't matter if it's ZeRo or anyone else. If these people are incited, maybe they need to learn to control themselves.

Look at other eSports and fighting game communities, their stars are beloved. ****ing Daigo has a published book, and a manga featuring him as the MC. Look at the Melee community. The 5 gods are beloved. Why is ZeRo then the only one that gets hate when his peers don't?
Good question. How is any of that relevant? I personally despise the "5 gods" notion. They're not gods. They're just professional players

He already plays the role of the "villain" by tier-whoring,
You mean that by choosing an optimal character, you're "tier-whoring" and that somehow makes you a villain?

and playing dirty,
Does ZeRo make a few calls to get people to sabotage his opponents? Because your notion of "playing dirty" might be different from what others interpret as "playing dirty".

with the most infamous moment being his victory at the E3 Smash invitational where he ran away to time out the match and win by Sudden Death.
Ah. So ZeRo implemented a strategy that worked, and because he didn't play according to the status quo, that's somehow a bad thing. Gotcha.

Add to that his constant need to gain attention and is many attempts for sympathy from people, it's no wonder he gets a lot of hate.
Suppose ZeRo is an attention ***** as you claim. Why should he receive hate at all?

I'm not saying this tp validate the trolls,
I didn't think you were, but that still does validate trollish behavior because you just made justifications for why ZeRo receives such treatment. If ZeRo didn't want to get bullied, he shouldn't play the pity card. If ZeRo didn't behave as he did, he wouldn't incite people to troll him. If ZeRo didn't "play dirty", people wouldn't treat ZeRo the way they do. So while your intent may not be to validate such behaviors, they do validate them. Some people who see the error of their way may think, "All right, I see that my behavior has affected ZeRo or other players, and I regret having behaved that way." But not everyone is rational or as empathetic and thinks that. They'll eat your words right up and continue behaving the way they do.

I'm not saying you're a bad guy. I don't even know you. All I care about is that people in general in the Smash community shouldn't be bullied for any behavior they display. If it's a bad behavior, it should be called out. If it's a disgusting behavior, it should be put on display for the world to see so that other professional players and new players don't fall victim to such behavior. I'm going to be charitable and assume your intent was to say that ZeRo isn't so innocent as people think. Perhaps. Perhaps not. I'm not a fan of ZeRo. I like Nairo more than anyone else. Regardless of professional level, anyone and everyone is open to scrutiny, and if there's anything negative going on, it needs to be called out for what it is.

but fact of the matter is, internet trolls are something you'll NEVER EVER get rid of, period.
Let's think about this statement. I agree that Internet trolls aren't ever going to be rid of, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't address the issue. We know that drunk driving will never cease to be a crime, but that doesn't mean the upper echelon shouldn't go out of their way to address the issues and find ways to mitigate them. Just because something will never be rid of, doesn't mean we should just throw in the towel and be a defeatist about it.

Considering that ZeRo's peers do just fine, it's up to him to find ways to deal with things and attempt to diminish the hate.
ZeRo is only one person. Everyone else who bullies or just behaves rudely needs to learn how to be kinder and sympathetic. It's a group effort.

For starters, he could begin with less sympathy baiting by playing victim, and by playing more honorably such as not tier whoring all the time. If he can't do that, then he'll just have to deal with things as they are, or just drop out of competitive gaming if it's too much for him. Haters gonna hate, that's the law of life, success breeds jealousy, and if you don't have the stones to deal with hate, then you shouldn't put yourself in the public eye.
Well, seeing as how ZeRo is from Chile, he feels people root for those who are citizens of U.S. soil. I think it would help ZeRo to know that there are those out there who appreciate him and root for him, if not in tournaments, at least online where videos are posted up by VGBootCamp or 2GGaming. I think it would be a good idea for ZeRo to associate himself with others who are naturalized citizens, since they're not born on U.S. soil. I think ZeRo could learn to develop thicker skin over time. It's not something easy to do because I personally get upset over any criticism toward me.

"Haters gonna hate" is once again, no reason not to mitigate such hatred. I think people who hate ZeRo or other professional players need to address why they hate in the first place. It could be for a number of reasons, honestly, such as envy for not being considered one of the best, or because ZeRo is an immigrant, or because of ZeRo's voice or appearance, or because he uses Diddy Kong, or because of antipathy, or whatever reason I haven't listed. I think such haters should challenge themselves to address the way they feel about an individual they most likely never met in person.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
Should we begin targeting players (Jims) who bully other players? Especially referring to random players on social media, Twitch chat, and so forth who spew ****, but have done absolutely nothing of recognition, or perhaps even competed in tournaments. They just hate on players.

Draw these people out and maybe they'll go away.

Himura Kenshin

Smash Journeyman
This is flat out bad advice that could make you end up in jail (if you use them, anyway). The right to self-defense is rather limited, and you really don't want to overdo it.
Nah, it's really quite simple. Defend yourself by any means. If you live in a state or country that prosecutes you for defending yourself, then that's pretty bad. Again, I'm not saying go around picking fights with people. But if you're getting death threats because of a video game and you think it's serious, you need to defend yourself. I don't get what's so bad about that. Even if you go to jail, wouldn't you rather be there than in a hospital? I'd rather pay court fees than medical bills.

Ryuphoton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryuphoton
3DS FC
2552-4567-9907
Now in my local smash community, everyone is quite welcoming and won't shame one another for doing certain things or playing certain characters. That's not to say bullying, or however you like to put it doesn't exist in my local community possibly and I just haven't seen it, but everything has been quite well.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Nah, it's really quite simple. Defend yourself by any means. If you live in a state or country that prosecutes you for defending yourself, then that's pretty bad. Again, I'm not saying go around picking fights with people. But if you're getting death threats because of a video game and you think it's serious, you need to defend yourself. I don't get what's so bad about that. Even if you go to jail, wouldn't you rather be there than in a hospital? I'd rather pay court fees than medical bills.
That is a pretty interesting question.

Assuming you live in a country with respectable laws and a respectable court system, going to jail would mean you have severely violated some law. If they deem it serious enough to send you to jail, then chances are violating said law was immoral. Given the choice between acting immorally and not acting immorally, it seems reasonable to assume that one should act morally, correct? Thus, it might seem obvious that one should prefer going to the hospital over going to jail.

However, the answer need not be this simple. For instance, let's assume that your choices are the following: Respond with violence or don't respond with violence. If you don't respond with violence, you have an 80% chance of dying. If you do respond with violence, the other person has a 10% chance of dying, and a 85% chance of damaging his leg badly enough to have it amputated. Chances are the court would find you guilty if you responded with that much violence, but it might still be preferable over an 80% chance of dying, all other things equal.

But, of course, this assumes that you would, indeed, have an 80% chance of dying and the other person would only have a 10% chance of dying. Chances are in reality either you will be somewhat injured or the other person. Perhaps then you should choose to be careful when defending yourself (such as not bringing a knife or a gun).

There's more to say about this, but it's somewhat off-topic. I thought your advice to bring a weapon was bad enough that I felt it was worth discussing it though.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
It's really not that simple. You could be defending yourself and end up in jail anyway. The way the system works, or at least from what I personally experienced is that you could end up in jail, and if you can't be bailed, you're probably going to be in jail until your court date. It's at that point that your attorney will defend you and the prosecutor will try to find reasons as to why you should remain in jail. You better hope by that point that you have a good attorney and evidence to support your side of the story. A better choice is either to not show up or alert your local police. Never take the situation into your own hands. Vigilantism isn't acceptable by the law.

Himura Kenshin

Smash Journeyman
Never take the situation into your own hands. Vigilantism isn't acceptable by the law.
Self defense is not vigilantism, lmfao.

Given the choice between acting immorally and not acting immorally, it seems reasonable to assume that one should act morally, correct? Thus, it might seem obvious that one should prefer going to the hospital over going to jail.
You'd rather get beaten up or perhaps worse just to claim a moral high ground? Also, are you implying that self defense is immoral just because they might book you for a bit(though I doubt it)? That's some serious beta ****. Every cop I've ever spoken to advocates self defense. Plus, I'd rather not leave my safety up to an officer who could take 10+minutes getting to the scene. I'd take my safety into my own hands, thanks.

Bullies choose who they think is easy targets. Stop being a target. Defend yourself. I don't get what's so complicated about it. You have no reason to be scared of persecution if you are defending yourself.

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
This is turning into a debate hall topic. XP
No kidding, I believe this is one of those topics with no easy answers. We can agree to a certain extent that there is a lot of toxicity in the video game community, but what we can't agree on is how to deal with it because there isn't an easy way to do it.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Self defense is not vigilantism, lmfao
Forgive me if I misinterpreted what you said. Still, don't go out of your way to defend yourself when it comes to legal matters. Seek help instead of taking it into your own hands. Better to neither be jailed or hospitalized.

Every cop I've ever spoken to advocates self defense. Plus, I'd rather not leave my safety up to an officer who could take 10+minutes getting to the scene. I'd take my safety into my own hands, thanks.
Well, like I said previously, you could alert the police of any threats you received or even avoid going to that particular tournament. Winning a game isn't worth losing your life.

Bullies choose who they think is easy targets.
You could be right, you could be wrong.

Stop being a target. Defend yourself. I don't get what's so complicated about it. You have no reason to be scared of persecution if you are defending yourself.
Easier said than done. Not everyone is as confident as you might be.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
You'd rather get beaten up or perhaps worse just to claim a moral high ground?
If given the choice between acting morally and immorally, it stands to reason that one ought to act morally, don't you agree? The public weapon laws are there for a reason, after all.

Also, are you implying that self defense is immoral just because they might book you for a bit(though I doubt it)?
No, I'm explicitly saying that bringing a gun or a knife to a public place for "protection" when doing so is illegal likely is immoral.

That's some serious beta ****.
Unless you want people to think you're part of the alt-right or the manosphere, you probably shouldn't use that terminology (unless you're doing it ironically).

Every cop I've ever spoken to advocates self defense.
The question isn't about self-defense, but the limits of self-defense. You're allowed to defend yourself using reasonable force. Carrying a knife or a gun in public is illegal (with some exceptions), so you probably shouldn't do that.

You have no reason to be scared of persecution if you are defending yourself.
Actually, some people go to jail for defending themselves, even in their own homes, with kitchen knives. I don't think bringing illegal weapons to video game tournaments is a very good idea.

Himura Kenshin

Smash Journeyman
A knife or firearm in public is not illegal (at least in the US). I see your points, but we clearly differ too much on this topic.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
blame bayonetta, and cloud, and john, and mark zuckerberg, and hercule satan, and cuphead, and marshadow, and tommy wiseau, most of all tommy wiseau, he hit her.

D

Deleted member

Unless you want people to think you're part of the alt-right or the manosphere, you probably shouldn't use that terminology (unless you're doing it ironically).
Slightly off topic, but could you elaborate what you mean by either of those terms, and why they're bad?

'Manosphere' at least as you expressed the terms, makes it sound like masculinity is inherently bad. A quick Google search showed me that it's merely a group of men concerned with male problems and issues. Like the male counterpart to feminism. Why is this bad again? Why are you throwing that term around as if it's something to be avoided?

Moreover, the terms alpha and beta male have been around for ages, probably well before you were born in fact, and have consistently been used to describe the difference between a high drive, masculine, and successful man, and a low drive, unmasculine, unsuccessful one, time and again. Considering masculine drive is strongly tied to testosterone levels, it seems like an accurate differentiation to me. And personally, I've always been of the opinion that all men should strive to be the very best they could be.

Discouraging people from using such terms, is essentially akin to discouraging men to strive to be masculine, especially when you couple it with a dismissive tone of the 'manosphere.'

Bringing it full circle, to me, it sounds like the opinion of someone who believes only their opinions are right, and likes to discourage those who diverge from their train of thought.

Like you just did by suggesting that the only correct way to use the term "beta male" was ironically. As if it wasn't something that was ACTUALLY true.

origamiscienceguy

Smash Apprentice
I never use beta male as an insult. I always just thought it was someone who wasn't a leader. For me at least, beta males could still be successful, buff, chivalrous, and driven.

Maybe it varies from place to place.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think people are missing the main point here.

Don't be a ****.

If you have objections to that. You're the problem.

Good day.

D

Deleted member

I never use beta male as an insult. I always just thought it was someone who wasn't a leader. For me at least, beta males could still be successful, buff, chivalrous, and driven.

Maybe it varies from place to place.
The Alpha/Beta male distinction is very simple.

Are you a masculine man, with high drive/ambition, and the will to attain success in life (with results)?

Congratulations, you're an alpha male. They come in all shapes and sizes. But the one thing they all have in common is that they're naturally born leaders who follow their dreams and pave the way for others to follow.

Does any of the above not apply to you?

Sorry, you're a beta male.

I think people are missing the main point here.

Don't be a ****.

If you have objections to that. You're the problem.

Good day.
I think that's a fairly obvious statement, but the issue at hand here is people feeling there should be outside involvement to prevent assholes from being assholes.

Short answer, no, no there shouldn't.

eSports and the FGC are no place for safe spaces, just the same as combat sports and other competitive sports don't try to protect people's feelings.

The spirit of competition is emotions will run high, and feelings will get hurt. If you're in this scene, you're gonna have to learn to deal with it if you wanna continue. The same applies to just about any competitive sport ever. Even Chess pros are total ***** to each other. End of story.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Slightly off topic, but could you elaborate what you mean by either of those terms, and why they're bad?
A simple Wikipedia check should suffice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_male_(slang)

"Beta male
, or simply beta, is a term for men perceived as weak and emasculated. The term has been frequently used in the manosphere and was later adopted by alt-right activists who question feminist views on gender roles, masculinity and manhood."

'Manosphere' at least as you expressed the terms, makes it sound like masculinity is inherently bad. A quick Google search showed me that it's merely a group of men concerned with male problems and issues. Like the male counterpart to feminism. Why is this bad again? Why are you throwing that term around as if it's something to be avoided?
The manosphere is not all bad, although I'd imagine the part that uses terminology such as "beta males" and "alpha males" tend towards the pick-up artistry and/or antifeminist part of the manosphere.

Moreover, the terms alpha and beta male have been around for ages, probably well before you were born in fact
Actually, you're wrong, people didn't start using those terms for humans until the mid 90s. Also, not to mention that alpha and beta males might not even exist in the animal world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_(ethology)#Controversy

"Researcher L. David Mech, one of the primary creators of the Alpha male hypothesis for wolves, later found additional evidence that the concept of an Alpha male may have been an erroneous interpretation of incomplete data and formally disavowed this terminology in 1999. He explained that it was heavily based on the behavior of captive packs consisting of unrelated individuals, an error reflecting the once prevailing view that wild pack formation occurred in winter among independent gray wolves. Later research on wild gray wolves revealed that the pack is usually a family consisting of a breeding pair and its offspring of the previous 1–3 years.[16]

Researcher M.W. Foster investigated primates and found that the leaders were more likely to be those who did more for those around them instead of being determined by strength. [17]

In humans, the concept of an alpha male was challenged as being largely nonexistent per an article by Dean Burnett, who found that human leadership roles vary wildly based on the current social context, and traits attributed to an "Alpha" might be exhibited in one scenario, and traits attributed to a "Beta" might be exhibited in a different scenario by the same individual."

[...], and have consistently been used to describe the difference between a high drive, masculine, and successful man, and a low drive, unmasculine, unsuccessful one, time and again.
I can think of a lot of unmasculine men who are very successful.

And personally, I've always been of the opinion that all men should strive to be the very best they could be
Shouldn't women also be the very best they could be?

I don't get your obsession about being "masculine". A lot of men are effeminate these days and are still doing fine.

A few questions: Would you rank the following as alpha or beta (or something else): Oscar Wilde, Wolfgang Amadeuz Mozart, Albert Einstein, George Takei, David Bowie?

Calaquinn

Smash Rookie
I think hating someone because they're good is sometimes justified. Not to this level of course but to an extent. I do realize this is an issue with Salem winning with a good Bayo and everyone hates him to Nairo winning with a janky Zero Suit play and everyone loves him.
I personally really dislike Mew2King, like really dislike. I feel like the God status the community has given him is false. I've been to Smashcon and seen him, sat right next to him, and had no reaction whatsoever. He got good of one good character everyone uses and Armada or Leffen are 50 times better than him at the character. When he loses against legal things, he gets upset (read: wobbling) he's whiny I much rather enjoy watching a good Pikachu or a good Yoshi beat the hell out of a "god" then watch 2 fox's shine each other for 30 minutes.
I think where the line is drawn is between come ups and out of no wheres. Salem had hardly any tournament wins (THAT I KNOW OF) before he picked up Bayo, then out of no where he starts winning. Zero mained Shiek but the second she got nerfed he stopped playing her entirely. There's this fidelity and "cheap" aspect to the hate.
If you disagree, hate is never ok. I dislike M2K but I will admit, he is a good player. This is a fun community and everyone should be treated with respect. My 2 cents anyway.

Last edited:

Sdhy

Smash Rookie
Thanks for raising awareness of this.

I hope venues offer more security. Please don’t overlook it. People have been shot at shopping malls and movie theatres. We don’t need a shooting at a video game tournament.

And to those who harass, bully, and especially who threaten:

If you say bad things, people won’t like or trust you. And everybody else doing it doesn’t make it okay. In my opinion, it makes it worse.

You CAN find a way to improve your game or life (to those who are jealous). Just keep looking, or politely ask for help. A better option than saying bad things until the day you realize the damage you’ve done. You wouldn’t want the guilt to hit you hard, right?

p.s. i think death threats is a crime.

On the lighter side: wow. The bodyguard is the father of one of his fans. I am moved.

D

Deleted member

A simple Wikipedia check should suffice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_male_(slang)

"Beta male
, or simply beta, is a term for men perceived as weak and emasculated. The term has been frequently used in the manosphere and was later adopted by alt-right activists who question feminist views on gender roles, masculinity and manhood."
First off, Wikipedia isn't a valid source as it can be easily edited by anyone, and when it comes to political topics, it's often shown bias leaning toward one particular side of the spectrum.

Second off,
"Question feminist views on gender roles and masculinity and manhood."

I think that's a fairly valid point for people to argue/question, considering how ineffective feminism has been at addressing issues faced by men, despite its preaching about it being about "gender inequality issues" and not just female empowerment. Hell, I'd even go as far as to say modern feminism fails at addressing ACTUAL issues of inequality faced by women around the world, and veered its focus toward first world problems and entitlement issues. But that's a whole nother topic all onto itself, and not one I'm willing to delve into ITT.

The manosphere is not all bad, although I'd imagine the part that uses terminology such as "beta males" and "alpha males" tend towards the pick-up artistry and/or antifeminist part of the manosphere.
If your view of masculine behavior is that narrow, I'd argue you'd not have much experience interacting with other men in groups. It's part of male behavior to be rude, straight to the point, and even dig and tease people a bit when you're close with them. It's how we express familiarity with people. Yes, it's in masculine spirit to try and be masculine and competitive.

As for the 2nd part, the only problem with PUA is that it's mostly made to sell **** to people, so they'll never tell anyone the whole truth of things. They'll just bait them around with empty promises and half-truths, but the core values at the center it all stem from far outside PUA, and have to do more with self-actualization, which is something I'd certainly argue is NOT negative in the slightest.

Actually, you're wrong, people didn't start using those terms for humans until the mid 90s. Also, not to mention that alpha and beta males might not even exist in the animal world.
Wrong, term's been in use since the 1950s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_(ethology)#Controversy

"Researcher L. David Mech, one of the primary creators of the Alpha male hypothesis for wolves, later found additional evidence that the concept of an Alpha male may have been an erroneous interpretation of incomplete data and formally disavowed this terminology in 1999. He explained that it was heavily based on the behavior of captive packs consisting of unrelated individuals, an error reflecting the once prevailing view that wild pack formation occurred in winter among independent gray wolves. Later research on wild gray wolves revealed that the pack is usually a family consisting of a breeding pair and its offspring of the previous 1–3 years.[16]

Researcher M.W. Foster investigated primates and found that the leaders were more likely to be those who did more for those around them instead of being determined by strength. [17]

In humans, the concept of an alpha male was challenged as being largely nonexistent per an article by Dean Burnett, who found that human leadership roles vary wildly based on the current social context, and traits attributed to an "Alpha" might be exhibited in one scenario, and traits attributed to a "Beta" might be exhibited in a different scenario by the same individual."
Yes, I saw the silly College Humor video too, the one where the guy used the ultimate strawman to try to convince others of his point.

We don't need to look at animals in order to analyze the term. We're speaking about humans, not animals, and the behavior between the two is very different, though the core tenets of it do see some overlap. Also, don't just cherrypick the parts of the Wikipedia article that suit your POV, lol, read the whole thing, it goes in depth into the research in regard to apes and other animals. But again, animal hierarchies differ drastically from that of humans. Idk why you'd try to use that side of the argument in order to try to disprove the existence of the term, when the term isn't referring to animals, when humans have seen this separation in hierarchy throughout ALL of history, and any man who's ever grown up has experienced this firsthand.

I've given my definition for what constitutes an alpha male already. Literally just look around you, and the type of men who attain success. Do you think UFC Fighters or professional athletes are beta males?

What was the argument used in that CH video? An alpha in one environment is a beta in a different one, and he placed his strawman in a table of nerds to get "bullied" by them? Lol. No, an alpha is an alpha wherever he goes, as its innate and natural. It ties to your testosterone levels which affect your sex drive, which is what PUSHES you to DO **** in life. It's literally that simple. Beta males are men with low drive. It's mostly genetic, but it can be influenced by external factors such as diet and exercise. Being out of shape and not doing exercise will kills your testosterone levels, and kill your drive, turning your into an unproductive, unmotivated sloth with no creativity. There's a reason why having a healthy exercise routine will ENERGIZE you despite it being something that expends energy. Because it boosts your testosterone levels.

I can think of a lot of unmasculine men who are very successful.
If your definition for masculinity is being "MACHO" then I'm sure you can find many examples with a narrow definition like that. But I deliberately went out of my way not to define it like that, because I'm well aware of that strawman. I define it by drive, and said that it comes in all shapes and sizes for a reason.

For example, I'd say Freddie Mercury was most definitely an Alpha male, despite the fact that the dude liked to rail other dudes.

Shouldn't women also be the very best they could be?
Lol, don't make this about women. They were never a part of this discussion. I never said they couldn't be, and yes, alpha females also exist. Women have every right to be the best they can be, and by all means, they should. But that was never a part of this discussion. I was attacking your offhand comment at what seemed a jab at masculine roles.

I see what you're trying to do. Stop it.

I don't get your obsession about being "masculine". A lot of men are effeminate these days and are still doing fine.
Because there is most definitely a trend in the mainstream these days with trying to emasculate men, and do away with masculine roles. Labeling masculinity as "toxic" and your comment certainly seemed in tune with that. That's what this entire tirade was about. It was a questioning, and attack at your comment, nothing else.

There is nothing wrong with the use of the terms "alpha and beta", there is nothing wrong with masculinity, and there is nothing wrong with men embracing their masculinity, and expressing themselves as MEN.

If men want to explore their effeminate sides, or try to be more feminine or emasculated, all the power to them. Everyone is free to do as they please, but the reverse is also true, and I very much stand with the notion that men should be ENCOURAGED to be masculine, and masculinity is something to be celebrated, rather than pushed aside.

Throwing out a term like "no, you shouldn't say that unless you're being ironic," because that's what the mainstream leftist consciousness is pushing these days, trying to make people push masculinity aside... yeah, I'm gonna call you out on that, because you're flat out wrong.

A few questions: Would you rank the following as alpha or beta (or something else): Oscar Wilde, Wolfgang Amadeuz Mozart, Albert Einstein, George Takei, David Bowie?
I generally wouldn't rank celebrities who had to suck a lot of **** to get famous (if the current Hollywood/Harvey Weinstein controversy is anything to go by) as alpha males. They didn't attain success through a lot of effort, they merely rubbed elbows with the right people who put them there.

As for everyone else, rank them yourself, I already gave my definition.

I should also note that there's nothing wrong with being a beta male. Not everyone can be an alpha male, just the same as not everyone can be a leader. Too many captains sink the ship, it's unsustainable. In my eyes however, there is indeed a problem with beta behavior though. And yes, there is most definitely a difference between an alpha/beta male, and alpha/beta behavior.

¡Peachy-Roses!

Smash Rookie
Milky Way, Virgo Supercluster (Mario's Universe)
NNID
TheGFlower
First off, Wikipedia isn't a valid source as it can be easily edited by anyone, and when it comes to political topics, it's often shown bias leaning toward one particular side of the spectrum.

Second off,
"Question feminist views on gender roles and masculinity and manhood."

I think that's a fairly valid point for people to argue/question, considering how ineffective feminism has been at addressing issues faced by men, despite its preaching about it being about "gender inequality issues" and not just female empowerment. Hell, I'd even go as far as to say modern feminism fails at addressing ACTUAL issues of inequality faced by women around the world, and veered its focus toward first world problems and entitlement issues. But that's a whole nother topic all onto itself, and not one I'm willing to delve into ITT.

If your view of masculine behavior is that narrow, I'd argue you'd not have much experience interacting with other men in groups. It's part of male behavior to be rude, straight to the point, and even dig and tease people a bit when you're close with them. It's how we express familiarity with people. Yes, it's in masculine spirit to try and be masculine and competitive.

As for the 2nd part, the only problem with PUA is that it's mostly made to sell **** to people, so they'll never tell anyone the whole truth of things. They'll just bait them around with empty promises and half-truths, but the core values at the center it all stem from far outside PUA, and have to do more with self-actualization, which is something I'd certainly argue is NOT negative in the slightest.

Wrong, term's been in use since the 1950s.

Yes, I saw the silly College Humor video too, the one where the guy used the ultimate strawman to try to convince others of his point.

We don't need to look at animals in order to analyze the term. We're speaking about humans, not animals, and the behavior between the two is very different, though the core tenets of it do see some overlap. Also, don't just cherrypick the parts of the Wikipedia article that suit your POV, lol, read the whole thing, it goes in depth into the research in regard to apes and other animals. But again, animal hierarchies differ drastically from that of humans. Idk why you'd try to use that side of the argument in order to try to disprove the existence of the term, when the term isn't referring to animals, when humans have seen this separation in hierarchy throughout ALL of history, and any man who's ever grown up has experienced this firsthand.

I've given my definition for what constitutes an alpha male already. Literally just look around you, and the type of men who attain success. Do you think UFC Fighters or professional athletes are beta males?

What was the argument used in that CH video? An alpha in one environment is a beta in a different one, and he placed his strawman in a table of nerds to get "bullied" by them? Lol. No, an alpha is an alpha wherever he goes, as its innate and natural. It ties to your testosterone levels which affect your sex drive, which is what PUSHES you to DO **** in life. It's literally that simple. Beta males are men with low drive. It's mostly genetic, but it can be influenced by external factors such as diet and exercise. Being out of shape and not doing exercise will kills your testosterone levels, and kill your drive, turning your into an unproductive, unmotivated sloth with no creativity. There's a reason why having a healthy exercise routine will ENERGIZE you despite it being something that expends energy. Because it boosts your testosterone levels.

If your definition for masculinity is being "MACHO" then I'm sure you can find many examples with a narrow definition like that. But I deliberately went out of my way not to define it like that, because I'm well aware of that strawman. I define it by drive, and said that it comes in all shapes and sizes for a reason.

For example, I'd say Freddie Mercury was most definitely an Alpha male, despite the fact that the dude liked to rail other dudes.

Lol, don't make this about women. They were never a part of this discussion. I never said they couldn't be, and yes, alpha females also exist. Women have every right to be the best they can be, and by all means, they should. But that was never a part of this discussion. I was attacking your offhand comment at what seemed a jab at masculine roles.

I see what you're trying to do. Stop it.

Because there is most definitely a trend in the mainstream these days with trying to emasculate men, and do away with masculine roles. Labeling masculinity as "toxic" and your comment certainly seemed in tune with that. That's what this entire tirade was about. It was a questioning, and attack at your comment, nothing else.

There is nothing wrong with the use of the terms "alpha and beta", there is nothing wrong with masculinity, and there is nothing wrong with men embracing their masculinity, and expressing themselves as MEN.

If men want to explore their effeminate sides, or try to be more feminine or emasculated, all the power to them. Everyone is free to do as they please, but the reverse is also true, and I very much stand with the notion that men should be ENCOURAGED to be masculine, and masculinity is something to be celebrated, rather than pushed aside.

Throwing out a term like "no, you shouldn't say that unless you're being ironic," because that's what the mainstream leftist consciousness is pushing these days, trying to make people push masculinity aside... yeah, I'm gonna call you out on that, because you're flat out wrong.

I generally wouldn't rank celebrities who had to suck a lot of **** to get famous (if the current Hollywood/Harvey Weinstein controversy is anything to go by) as alpha males. They didn't attain success through a lot of effort, they merely rubbed elbows with the right people who put them there.

As for everyone else, rank them yourself, I already gave my definition.

I should also note that there's nothing wrong with being a beta male. Not everyone can be an alpha male, just the same as not everyone can be a leader. Too many captains sink the ship, it's unsustainable. In my eyes however, there is indeed a problem with beta behavior though. And yes, there is most definitely a difference between an alpha/beta male, and alpha/beta behavior.
Honestly, I would agree with the acceptance and colloquial usage of these terms. Masculinity isn't just a gender-specific term, personally, as it describes self-confidence, leadership skills, risk-taking tendencies and many traits that help advance civilization further. At least, that's what I think. They can also be sensitive and compassionate, yet have a strong sense of self-defense.

All and all, human masculinity as a biological construct should be recognized and appreciated for its many influences on our hardy culture and dominance as a species.

TeddyBearYoshi

Banned via Warnings
There's always going to be toxicity/bullying in video games, why? Because it's the human mind and one person is going to have one opinion and the next person has a different opinion if they don't work out a compromise anywhere there will be salt and that will eventually lead to toxicity/bullying. We can't abolish bullying in anything so the least we can do is ignore those people and keep living our lives. Look at ZeRo it doesn't seem to affect him then why should it affect everyone else. What i'm trying to say is to just not care if people start being toxic and just keep playing so you can beat them and make them shut there mouths.
Nice in theory, but this is completely incorrect in practice and an unhelpful mindset to many people. It clearly has affected ZeRo, and it affects anyone. Most people who say things like this are people who don't have to deal with it, at least not often.

If you don't work on toxicity in a community, it will only continue to fester and get worse. There are many examples of this, and despite what some people in this thread seem to believe, it can be prevented.

Why is this getting political?

Last edited:

The-Technique

Smash Ace
NNID
luckysharm
Should we begin targeting players (Jims) who bully other players? Especially referring to random players on social media, Twitch chat, and so forth who spew ****, but have done absolutely nothing of recognition, or perhaps even competed in tournaments. They just hate on players.

Draw these people out and maybe they'll go away.
Not really sure if that would work. Most people start stuff purely for attention, and the more you give them the harder they are to get rid of.

Though it WOULD be nice to just walk up to a heckler and be like "$100 MM or stfu"...

Last edited:
Top Bottom