• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bringing the Thunder: Luigi Boards Tourney 2/6 4:00PM - 3/1 4:00PM STILL OPEN

Magnumblade

Smash Journeyman
Ok guys here we go, just another feeble attempt at keeping the board healthy and alive, having some fun, and maybe helping out some people who need help

TOURNAMENT IS GOING TO BEGIN ON 2/8 AT 4:00PM PACIFIC AND WILL LAST UNTIL 3/1 AT 4:00PM PACIFIC. REGISTRATION WILL BE OPEN THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE TOURNAMENT SO YOU CAN JOIN ANYTIME YOU WANT.

Players (Smashboards Name | Brawl Tag | Brawl code | characters | Wii code (* means they have capture card, if you think you have a good replay send it to them, and we need all codes for all replays)
Magnumblade | L.O.S | 2449-4330-0368 | Main - Luigi, Alt - Mr. G&W | Colorado |
Hippiedude92 | CM | 1246 9566 4759 | Main - Luigi Alt - Mario | New York |
Zmazh | Jazz | 5327-0590-2361 | Main - Falco, Alt - Luigi | California |2355 1073 4676 2454*
chic | C&D | 1891-4097-3424 | Main - Luigi, Alt- N/A (you rock chic) | Texas |
NaPPy | work! | 3952-6672-2015 | Main- Snake, Alt - Luigi | ??? |
eten | eten (?) | 1805-1845-7577 | Main - Luigi, Alt- N/A | ??? |
Crewster | CSTER | 1075-2222-0869 | Main - Luigi Alt - Ike | United Kingdom |
Player01 | P1 | 4425 1288 4719 | Main - Peach, Alt - Luigi | ??? |
Yonder |Ingle | 3652-0274-9480 | Main -Luigi, Alt - N/A | ??? |
ScAtt77 | ScAtt | 2578 2781 8870 | Main - Luigi, Alt - Snake | Georgia
BearJaw | BEAR | 3866-7671-1908 | Main-Luigi, Alt - N/A | 7520-1845-5099-7937 | New York
!Boom! | Beast | 3952-6813-2466 | Main-Luigi, Alt-Pikachu| California
zhao_guang | Zhao | 4983 4603 0298 | Main - Luigi, Alt - N/A (?) | Canada
Shadowfirex100 | SDWFE |1676-3494-0066 | Main - Luigi, Alt - Mario |
PolMex23 | PM23 | 5370-0118-4742 | Main - Luigi | Florida
KoRoBeNiKi | F5Kor | 1934 3901 4627 | Main - Luigi | New Jersey

Rankings* (name, wins-losses-ties total, w/l/t chars & character points, last 2 opponents played (result and character played if they use 2 chars) [current points before multipliers]
1. zhao_guang, 5-0-0 Luigi, 18 points, Eten (W 2-0) Player01 (W 2-0) [18]
2. Eten: 2-4-0 Luigi, 12 points, Magnumblade (W 2-0)zhao_guang (L) [12]
3. Chic, 2-1-0 Luigi, 9 points, Eten (W 2-1) Magnumblade (W 2-0) [9]
4. Magnumblade, 1-3-0, 1-1-0 Luigi 5 points, 0-2-0 G&W 2 point, Eten (W G&W)chic (L G&W) [7]
5. Player01: 1-1-0, 0-0-0 Luigi, 1-1-0 Peach 5 points, Shadowfirex100 (W 2-1 Peach) zhao_guang (L) [5]
5. Shadowfirex100, 1-1-0, 1-1-0 Luigi 5 points, 0-0-0 Mario, Player01 (L Luigi) Eten (W 2-0 Luigi) [5]
6. ScAtt77 1-0-0, 0-0-0 Luigi 0 points, 1-0-0 Snake 4 points, Eten (W 2-0 Snake) [4]
7. Zmazh: 0-2-0, 0-1-0 Luigi 1 point, 0-1-0 Falco 1 point, zhao_guang (L Falco) Magnumblade (L Luigi) [2]
8. Polmex23 0-1-0, 1 point, Eten (L) [1]
9. Nappy: 0-0-0
9.Crewster 0-0-0
9. Yonder 0-0-0
9. Bearjaw 0-0-0
9. !Boom! 0-0-0
9. KoRoBeNiKi 0-0-0

* This may sound like a john but I've been hearing it so far in every match that input lag is being very bad and some players are having connection problems. This is just a warning to all players who find a bad connection, and in the case of a disconnect near the beginning of a round, the round is reset with scores intact. In the case of a disconnect near the middle or end of a round, the match is reset but players must bring themselves down back to the stocks they had at the time of disconnect.

Rules
1.Matches will be open challenge, meaning they can play anyone who is currently participating in the tournament (please read rules 8 and 9 for more details)
2.Matches will be best of 3, 8 minute times
3.no items (fox only, final destination. jk)
4.all stages are allowed save for the following : Port Town, New Pork City, Mushroomy Kingdom, Big Blue, Distant .Planet, Flat Zone, Rumble Falls, Skyworld, 75m, Mario Bros.
5.All characters are legal, but please refrain from doing infinites cuz that's lame
6.Players must have luigi as one of their characters, but are allowed to use an alt so long as they notify me of it when posting a set result, giving both characters and who won.
7.Sudden Deaths will be counted as a tie and, in the case of a tie, the set will be extended to a set of 5, playing any more than the set will not be counted to the tournament. If the score is still tied after a set of 5, It will count as a tie to both players.
8.If a player does not show up at the agreed time of their match and does not list their reason for not showing up (no dumb reasons please. ex. I changed my mind about playing you, challenges are final once they are agreed upon) it will count as a forfeit and a loss. Players are given 15 minutes to show up, and 20 minutes from the given time to post their reason for not showing up.
8.Players can post challenges in this thread, and the winner of the match MUST report their win to me.
9.2 players may only play each other every 3rd match, unless the match ends in a tie, in which case they may have a rematch, but must record the tie anyway.
10.Players may drop out whenever they want, but their points and stats will still be kept on the player list, and their score will still be counted at the end of the tourney.
11.Matches played past 4:00PM Pacific will still count to the final score as long as the set is started before 4:00PM Pacific, any matches played after 4:00PM Pacific (basing this off the smashboards clock) will not count to the players' scores.

Scoring

The Tournament will be scored on this basis

W-L-T, and total points, a win counts as 4 points, a loss counts as 1 point, and a tie counts as 1 point for both players, and if a player has 8 or more points than their opponent, then if the higher ranked competitor will receive less points for a win (4 - point difference/8, least points possible is 2) and a lower ranked competitor will receive more points for a win (4 + point difference/8, most possible is 8 points). In the case of extra or less points from a win or loss, points will be rounded to the nearest point (5 rounds up)

There will also be a Luigi incentive at the end of the tournament, total points for matches played as Luigi will be multiplied by 1.2 (so if you get 30 points you will end up with 36) and alt chars will have no multiplier. I am not asking for Luigi dittos but I do encourage fair use of Luigi during this tourney (and try to avoid ditto's, try to play as Luigi in his bad match-ups if you find yourself in friendlies)

A tourney score will only be counted if the same characters are used both games, switching characters will result in the first match not counting. Also, the characters must be used consecutively, so no playing 1 match as Luigi, 1 match as, say marth(a) and then another with luigi, it will be voided.

Date, Registration, and Other Matters

The tournament begins once we get 6 participants (myself included so 5 more) and will last for 2 weeks exactly (the exact date and time that I say the tournament has begun) People are allowed to join in whenever they want as long as it is before the ending time.

Please sign up on this thread, leave smashboards name, wifi name, brawl number, main and alt char (I strongly suggest having Luigi as one of your chars) location (if you wish to reveal it, for lag purposes, such as Crewster being in UK) and a wii number if you are able to record the video and put it on youtube.

If anyone has a capture card or video camera please tell me when you sign up, and leave your wii number, I want to get alot of footage that we might be able to use for studying/critique (as well as the occasional funny/good matches). everyone else leave their wii # so that they can send their data to those with a capture card.

Challenges
Please post your challenges on this thread, give the name of your opponent, any requests (play as luigi, play on x stage etc.) and post a time for the match in Pacific time please. Don't john or make excuses in the case of a close/"bad" call, and if a dispute is over a match under 3 minutes long, please send the video to some of the other players (try to go for those with a capture card listed) for examination. Keep language nice and clean, no insults or anything of the sort, and if you do not show up for a challenge and do not report why you didn't show up (all players are given 15 minutes after their set time to show up), it will count as a forfeit and a loss.

For your convenience, you may either post challenges here or on the xat boards http://xat.com/Luigi_Boards, but please post results (along with score and characters used) on this thread.

come on everyone join in and lets have some fun!

and btw, if anyone has a friend who plays brawl at their house alot or vice versa, you may sign them up for the tourney too but they must distinguish themselves with a different name or character and informing me about it. Thanks everyone.

*flame shield activated*

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
dont make a tourney unless you know it'll work and you'll be active to update it every single day. just throwing it out there.

Hippiedude92 tag: CM Fc 1246 9566 4759

chars : Luigi/Mario, Peach/Boozer, Diddy/Marth. Yes i use mucho chars....

Magnumblade

Smash Journeyman
dont make a tourney unless you know it'll work and you'll be active to update it every single day. just throwing it out there.

Hippiedude92 tag: CM Fc 1246 9566 4759

chars : Luigi/Mario, Peach/Boozer, Diddy/Marth. Yes i use mucho chars....
Yes i know that, ty for the advice *cookie for hippiedude*
and please only 2 characters, I'll post your characters when you make your choice of two, but I strongly suggest a Luigi or tough luigi opponent so we can look for more stuff to help his game in generally and on an individual level

skyace89

Smash Journeyman
i would love to do this but i need to buy a router 'cuz i had the ethernet adapter instead and it suxx ***.
(i want my money back datel!)

Zmazh

Smash Rookie
Yeah! Sign me up baby!

Tag: Jazz
Brawl FC: 5327-0590-2361
Main: Luigi
Alt: Falco

I've got a capture card, but I don't think it will do any good for the people that I don't play (considering that you can't save replays over 3 min. and most people don't hack to remove the limitation). Although, if someone does finish their match in under 3 min. I will gladly accept it, capture it, and give it to Magnumblade to build an archive.

I'll try to check back here every day, so feel free to ask any questions.

Magnumblade

Smash Journeyman
Why this thread rather than the other?
last thread was planning and nobody wanted to help me with that so i just made new thread cuz im too lazy to re-type everything.

and yes chic, i never said anything about having to use an alt, you can go luigi only if you want :)

and wuts up jazz

napZzz

Smash Hero
sign me upzzz

-NaPPy,work!,3952-6672-2015,Mains-snake,Sides,Luigi,marth

Magnumblade

Smash Journeyman
That is not valid, give me solid proof why MK should be banned.
Ya i know, well this is focused on Luigi and if I'm not mistaken, a good MK can trash a good Luigi most days, and DDD has his infinite/chaingrab, I'll unban him as long as nobody is bothered by having MK in the tourney (I personally dislike MK since he has no bad matchups and alot of annoying attacks)

Zmazh

Smash Rookie
The fact is MK is GOD!

Also, what makes him unfair is: (in comparison to all other char. not players)

>Everything mentioned below can be mastered (not true mastery, just being able to do something 90% of the time without screwing up) by amateurs in a few hours of play.
>He is extremely fast (mobility and attacks)
>Does a decent amount of damage, but that multiplies because of all of the combos he can perform with ease.
>Can flawlessly gimp most characters with little to no practice.(ok, this really depends on the skill of your opponent, but I'm talking about a majority)
>His multiple jumps make him hard to spike and grants him a vast area of attack. (This too depends on the skill of your opponent, again speaking majority)
>Down Smash is overpowered for the speed it is given, and can be repeated with almost no lag. (and yes, so is his Nair)
>And don't forget his far reaching (Reverse) Shuttle Loop finish that can KO at %s as low as 40%, maybe less. (I mean, after knocking your oppenent close to the edge of the boundry, which is one of MK's specialties. I have tested this multiple times.)

I know these things, not only because I do deep char. analysis, but because I used to main as MK for a good 500 or so matches. There are a few more things I could add to this list but I think you get the point. You can disagree all you want, but this is what I have learned from experience. (This is not ment to ban MK, I was more responding to Locuan128 to say that there could be reason behind wanting him banned. I don't care whether or not he is in the tourney.)

napZzz

Smash Hero
Oh I thought this was a luigi only tourney lol

make it snake and luigi then :S

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
The fact is MK is GOD!

Also, what makes him unfair is: (in comparison to all other char.)

>Everything mentioned below can be mastered by amateurs in a few hours of play.
>He is extremely fast (mobility and attacks)
>Does a decent amount of damage, but that multiplies because of all of the combos he can perform with ease.
>Can flawlessly gimp most characters with little to no practice.
>His multiple jumps make him hard to spike and grants him a vast area of attack.
>Down Smash is overpowered for the speed it is given, and can be repeated with almost no lag.
>And don't forget is far reaching Shuttle Loop finish that can KO at %s as low as 40%, maybe less.

I know these things, not only because I do deep char. analysis, but because I used to main as MK for a good 500 or so matches. There are a few more things I could add to this list but I think you get the point. You can disagree all you want, but this is what I have learned from experience.
>Everything mentioned below can be mastered by amateurs in a few hours of play.
This is false right here. No amateur can truly unlock the true mastery of Meta-knight. If anything, M2k is a good example of a true Meta-knight.

>And don't forget is far reaching Shuttle Loop finish that can KO at %s as low as 40%, maybe less.
Um what? That thing doesn't kill abit 100%s or so. If it killed at 40%, then Luigi's shoryuken would have no use in this game. Besides, powershield + upb > shuttle loop. Learn it and love it.

>Can flawlessly gimp most characters with little to no practice.
Not really. Meta-knight player has to know the luigi's matchup at top skill. People who haven't fought a top luigi will be thrown off. It does happens in scencarios. Just like when M2k got ***** by Ninjalink since he never fought a real diddy kong before, but after he read him, he pwnt him. Also a meta-knight cannot just mindlessly use all his jumps and attempt gimp luigi like a random bs, he has to becareful at all times. It does take pratice and no, not just little.

>His multiple jumps make him hard to spike and grants him a vast area of attack.
>Down Smash is overpowered for the speed it is given, and can be repeated with almost no lag.
Oh really? Nair is overpowered too as well. Frame 3 and perfect OOS, combo breaker, combo starter, finisher, and killer. In a sense, he really isn't hard to gimp espically if they're careless. You need to be smart when your gimping him. Reading him, in how many jumps his used, how many times you've knocked him out force him to use jumps then going for bair stage spike, placed fireball setups etc. You catch my drift.

Don't ban MK Mangum. Nor D3. This is not CoT4 okay. This is just friendly WiFi. If the SBR approved 3 to 1 ratio that he shouldn't be banned, you might as well not ban him as well as D3. Alot of Luigis, tourney wh0res like Themann, Lk, Polmex, Boss come to mind have gone through this or still going through this or who may have overcome it such as Boss. So don't ruin it for those who love to play as Mk. Okay?

skyace89

Smash Journeyman
^^what this young man said..i was thinking it but he put it into words much better than i would have at the moment...

Magnumblade

Smash Journeyman
Don't ban MK Mangum. Nor D3. This is not CoT4 okay. This is just friendly WiFi. If the SBR approved 3 to 1 ratio that he shouldn't be banned, you might as well not ban him as well as D3. Alot of Luigis, tourney wh0res like Themann, Lk, Polmex, Boss come to mind have gone through this or still going through this or who may have overcome it such as Boss. So don't ruin it for those who love to play as Mk. Okay?

alrighty then

i thought the tourney board members dont do wifi?

wait a sec, are there any major mk users on the luigi boards?

and have you decided on what 2 chars you will use?

and btw when zmazh was talking about shuttle loop killing at the 40s, i believe he was referring to a f-air wop > reverse shuttle loop

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
magnumblade said:
wait a sec, are there any major mk users on the luigi boards?
Yes, me.

Also, banning MK or D3 for the reasons that they are very good counters against Luigi does not make sense. In all, better yet this will prove to add to the matchup knowledge of the Luigi users if they face an MK/D3.

Magnumblade

Smash Journeyman
Yes, me.

Also, banning MK or D3 for the reasons that they are very good counters against Luigi does not make sense. In all, better yet this will prove to add to the matchup knowledge of the Luigi users if they face an MK/D3.
Yes locuan i realized that, i see the mistake i made and they are allowed now.

mk and d3 should be allowed as one of the reasons i made this tournament and thanks for that hippie and locuan

btw are you gonna sign up for the tourney or just helping w/ the rules? >_>

Eten

Smash Ace
hurf durf might as well

FC: 1805-1845-7577

maining Luigi... and I'd alt MK but I'm not gonna use him. I'd rather trash people's MKs with weegee than trash their luigi with MK. So just Luigi

crewster

Smash Lord
I should be able to get my wii fixed tofay or tommorow so I'll sign up. If it doesn't get fixed I'll drop out.

Crewster | CSTER | 1075-2222-0869 | Main - Luigi Alt - Ike |

Magnumblade

Smash Journeyman
I should be able to get my wii fixed tofay or tommorow so I'll sign up. If it doesn't get fixed I'll drop out.

Crewster | CSTER | 1075-2222-0869 | Main - Luigi Alt - Ike |
cool

but if there are problems then I can list you as currently inactive on the tourney, just until you get your wii fixed up

boy if you are in the UK the lag is gonna fail hard

and looks like 1 more entry and I will start the tourney, but I hope that as many of you as possible can participate, and that wigi was around here so he could compete and we could have fun times tauntspiking each other to death and back again.

crewster

Smash Lord
You should also put the region of the players in the first post.
And also, sudden deaths should be best of 5 again if it is the deciding match, if not then 1 win each.

kigbariom

Smash Lord
But how can you wins/losses count if the lag is so horrible. I think it would just be inconvenient...

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
hurf durf might as well

FC: 1805-1845-7577

maining Luigi... and I'd alt MK but I'm not gonna use him. I'd rather trash people's MKs with weegee than trash their luigi with MK. So just Luigi
zomghaxsz. eten on wifi? eten posting on a crappy wifi thread? thats like wow haxs.

Tourney board members don't really do wifi probably except a few like Chic.

My 2 characters are Luigi and Mario. Bleh lol.

Player01

Smash Journeyman
nicely constructed tourny you got here. i think the timing of this one is a bit better than mine was now that we had a break from online tournies for a while.

Player01
P1
4425 1288 4719
peach and luigi(or can i use bowser instead?)

Magnumblade

Smash Journeyman
nicely constructed tourny you got here. i think the timing of this one is a bit better than mine was now that we had a break from online tournies for a while.

Player01
P1
4425 1288 4719
peach and luigi(or can i use bowser instead?)
I just put you in as luigi and peach >_> is that ok or do you want something different

ok 1 more participant and we start tourney, yo ucan join mid-tourney if you want it is alright. and yo uare allowed to drop from the tourney if you want to.

Player01

Smash Journeyman
well technically i wanted my main to be peach and alt to be luigi but as long as it doesnt make a difference then w/e.

oh and i guess ill stick to peach/luigi since luigi must be one of my choices according to your rules but if that is not the case for whatever reason then i would like peach/bowser.

Magnumblade

Smash Journeyman
well technically i wanted my main to be peach and alt to be luigi but as long as it doesnt make a difference then w/e.

oh and i guess ill stick to peach/luigi since luigi must be one of my choices according to your rules but if that is not the case for whatever reason then i would like peach/bowser.
Well I'm only making Luigi mandatory as one of your 2 characters because this is also for finding stuff to help luigi's game, most notably with the big tourney chars, so having more luigis and tourney chars might be more beneficial to Luigi, along with having more luigi's to look for possible finds or experimenting new ideas.

I'll do matchup-fights and stuff after, or some other time when the boards find it the top issue in Luigi's metagame (I personally think that this is his most important because our biggest challenges are the tourney chars, rather than Luigi's complexity. Althought his simplicity is a big factor, since he is fairly straightforward, he is easy to understand, which leads to countering)

Player01

Smash Journeyman
well if you allow some people to use a wider varity of characters then it will help you guyz with match ups and knowing how to approach X character. but its your tourny so ill do what u say :)

peach/luigi

Magnumblade

Smash Journeyman
well if you allow some people to use a wider varity of characters then it will help you guyz with match ups and knowing how to approach X character. but its your tourny so ill do what u say :)

peach/luigi
Well I'm only having this as a tourney and only allowing 2 chars because playing as everyone in the tourney would seem unorganized.

And i've been considering a +1 point incentive for playing as Luigi, since Luigi and the luigi boards are the main focus of this tourney, but that would seem kind've unfair and might lead it to being just another luigi ditto tourney, helping luigi very little in actual tourney matches (what are the chances of fighting alot of luigi ditto's in a tourney?)

Either that or 2 people who choose to play each other decide on taking turns using luigi or something but that seem's kind've unnecessary

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I will most likely get beaten, but I want to see some good Luigis in play!

Yonder
Online name: Ingle

3652-0274-9480

Main: Luigi
Alt: Luigi :)

Magnumblade

Smash Journeyman
Ok We now have 8 players!

I will start the tourney tomorrow at 4pm pacific, it will last for 2 weeks and will end on the 22nd at 4pm pacific. If anyone has any special requests [play as x char (must be one of their 2 chars)or play on x stage] then please inform who you are going to play and wait for their agreement.

Regarding replays and videos, if you have a capture card then I strongly encourage you to record any matches you play and post any funny/good/or new technique-evidence vids on youtube and the boards, and those who are only able to send replays, please send your vids to the person via wii # exchange so that they can put it on youtube and the boards for good matches and/or discussion of a possible new technique.

A good luck to everyone competing and lets all have some fun!

crewster

Smash Lord
My wii is't fixedyet. I really Hope it can fix today. Also, I'm going on a skiing trip next week so I wont have acces to a wii. And is it going to be brakets?

Magnumblade

Smash Journeyman
My wii is't fixedyet. I really Hope it can fix today. Also, I'm going on a skiing trip next week so I wont have acces to a wii. And is it going to be brakets?
No brackets, it will be an open challenge tournament, meaning you can play whoever you want and whenever you want as long as you have not played your last 2 matches with them.

Of course, if it is accepted, I could always go for the top 2 or 4 players at the end going into a small bracket for the win, but that would take the focus off of this tourney. The point of this tourney is to have fun and learn stuff about Luigi, not see who is the best player on the Luigi boards.

I am considering adding a new rule, that would involve an incentive for using Luigi more often, because if everyone played as their alt it wouldn't do much for Luigi I think?, and rather than inform us before a match or during a match, the winner will just report his win, any ties (still tied after a set of 5) and which character he used, I will think of a formula to use to encourage use of Luigi (not force so that we can still get good matches against Luigi's challenges) either a small point incentive for using Luigi (.5 or 1 point) or simply changing the entire formula to have maybe a multiplier (say 1.2 or 1.1x total points of original formula for luigi, and 1.0 or .9x total points for the other character?). Please discuss this as I want to have a decent system which gives Luigi alot of room to work with as a character but does not turn this into a 90% Luigi ditto match.

and Crewster have fun with your skiing trip :)

Top Bottom