• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bring Back Philly, Round 2! - May 25th, 2013 - Glenside, PA

MorningThunder

Smash Apprentice
BRING BACK PHILLY

All fees have been reduced!

This is mostly a copy/paste from the last tournament. Anything in this thread is subject to change if it allows for a better turnout.

111 S. Easton Rd.
Glenside, PA 19038

The Philadelphia area never seems to have any regular tournaments; this is meant to test the waters and see how many people in the area show interest. If we can get enough people to come, then this could certainly become a monthly event. The venue owner really wants to start running regular SSBM tournaments, and if you want the same, then we need you to show interest.

Setups:

The venue owner has boxes full of Gamecubes and Wii's, and around 3-6 Tube TV's along with 1 that I can bring. So we really need copies of Melee with memory cards and some more TV's. I know you guys can pull through with this, the more setups we can get the better!

Travel Info:
There's a PNC Bank right next to the venue that has free parking if you drive around the corner to Bickley Rd, which is the street behind the building.

For anyone that wants to take the subway/train, the venue is right across the street from the Glenside Train Station.

Date:

May 25, 2013

Price:

Venue fee: $5
Singles: $5
Doubles: $10 ($5 per person)

Schedule:

Setup and Friendlies - (10:30AM - 12:00PM)
Registration - (12:00PM - 1:00PM)
Doubles Start ~ (1:30PM)
Singles registration closes and Singles Pools Start ~ (3:00PM)
We finish when we can, but preferably earlier than 11:30PM.

Payouts:

Note: Just like last time, the shop owner has offered to throw in some extra prizes as a way to kickstart this into potential monthlies.

Update:

Winner of the Pro Bracket will receive a Game Junkie T-Shirt and a Nintendo Gamecube Controller.

Winner of the Amateur Bracket will receive a Game Junkie gift card.

Singles

Under 16 Entrants
1st Place: 60%
2nd Place: 30%
3rd Place: 10%

16-32 entrants
1st Place: 55%
2nd Place: 30%
3rd Place: 15%

32+ Entrants
1st Place: 50%
2nd Place: 25%
3rd Place: 15%
4th Place: 10%

Doubles

Under 8 teams
1st Place: 70%
2nd Place: 20%
3rd Place: 10%

8+ teams
1st place: 60%
2nd place: 30%
3rd place: 10%

Rules:

Official Melee Ruleset 2012
Jungle Japes is banned
Wobbling is permitted up to 300%
All known freeze glitches are banned
Pools are Best 2/3
Bracket is all Best 2/3 until semis which is Best 3/5
There will be an Amateur Bracket for entrants that lose in pools or the first round, and there will be a prize given to the winner of this bracket.

From here I'm still tossing some ideas around. I'd like to throw in some extra counterpick stages and I'm open for input. Also, tell me if you guys need anymore information and I'll try to keep updating accordingly.

benaldo

Smash Rookie
I wouldn't play but if you guys need someone to record/cast for the lulz i'll do it, have hardware, might need transport, would pay.

MorningThunder

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't play but if you guys need someone to record/cast for the lulz i'll do it, have hardware, might need transport, would pay.
You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. A streaming setup would be much appreciated.

benaldo

Smash Rookie
I'll see what can be done then. All depends on my work schedule at the time and if i can secure transport. I'll get to brush the dust off my lil 'ol dazzle XD

ThunderSt0rm

Smash Champion
If benaldo can't attend and/or stream I may be interested in helping out with streaming.

Also, any chance of project m being at this?

benaldo

Smash Rookie
Should be able to make it like i said, just depends on work and if i'm off that day. I'll bring my n64 with smash 64 for the sake of friendlies if you want. I only have 3 controllers for it though lol so if someone has a fourth to bring that'd be cool!

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
I might be interested.

As far as format goes, I'd prefer the whole tournament to be 2/3 and maybe try and squeeze in crews or low tiers if time permits.

MorningThunder

Smash Apprentice
I might be interested.

As far as format goes, I'd prefer the whole tournament to be 2/3 and maybe try and squeeze in crews or low tiers if time permits.
Duely noted, the format of the tourney is subject to revision depending on turnout. Last time we actually got things done pretty quickly, and I feel like a best of 5 bracket gives people more tournament experience, and more tournament experience is especially important for enouraging newer players to want to join. However, I definitely understand wanting to keep things the way they were, plus the idea of crews does sound a little savvy to me, and low tiers is always a fan favorite. Perhaps I could incorporate a separate amature bracket or something, I'll definitely put some thought into it.

P.S. Holy freakin' crap it's Pakman! If I get to play against you, the only other luigi main I'd need to play against would be Eddy Mexico!

MorningThunder

Smash Apprentice
I was able to reduce all of the fees so more people could afford to make it!

I have come to an understanding that this is a melee tournament..........Melee is bad fme lol
Sorry dude cant make this for melee
Hi J-kub, havent seen you since harrisburg 2010.
Ah well that's unfortunate to hear. Is the possibility of PM as a side event enuogh incentive to get you out here?

MorningThunder

Smash Apprentice
Last time we had 20 maybe 22 entrants. I'm shooting for around the same, if not more.

dschu

Smash Rookie
it's not more than 20-40 minutes from most of philly. i could probably grab you guys if you need a ride from that close

MorningThunder

Smash Apprentice
I've made a few updates to the thread that may be of some interest to y'all. Please check the Setups, Payouts, and Rules sections and if any of you have any questions I'll try my best to answer them in a timely manner.

BlackDr.Mario

Smash Cadet
Id be able to bring Project M, Memory cards and 2 Game copies and Brawl should you add it. I would need a ride :( my car in shop

Abate

Smash Journeyman
I might be in the area for this.

Can someone tell me why wobbling is ever legal? It doesn't make sense to me.

MorningThunder

Smash Apprentice
I might be in the area for this.

Can someone tell me why wobbling is ever legal? It doesn't make sense to me.
First off, I would be ecstatic if you and Pakman could make it and played a ditto on stream.

Second, wobbling is legal because Evo has it legal, plus no one plays IC's anyways so who cares :p

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
I live in West Philly, have a car, and am looking for people to split gas with.

F. Blue

Smash Journeyman
If I get people to ride with, I'll bring a Gamecube, Melee, 2 memory cards, a TV, a Wii, and Project M. Will there be a Project M tourney?

free pizza

Smash Rookie
If we can get enough people to come, then this could certainly become a monthly event.
That would be so awesome. There are a lot of people who go to school in Philly (like me and zhouster/death note) who i'm sure would love to attend throughout the school year if this becomes a thing :D

Top Bottom