• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brief Visit to Chicago

unknownforce

Smash Lord
Hey guys; it's been a while!

I'll be stoping by Chicago very briefly for an interview (Feb 3rd-4th) and was wondering if anyone would be interested in meeting up on the 3rd (a Sunday), preferably to see some of the many sights of the city. I'd be up for some smash too, but I'd prefer to go out for some deep dish pizza or see the aquarium/fields museum or something like that heh. If nobody is interested in meeting up, would anyone have any suggestions on what to see on a very short trip?

It's been ages since I've seen any of the awesome midwest folks, and it would be great to see some of you again, no matter what activity you would be most interested in (with some exceptions of course!) If I don't end up seeing anyone I hope everyone has been doing well and I'm sure I'll see some of you online through brawl, although I might see you in person too if I end up transfering to Chicago.

unknownforce

Smash Lord
interesting way to ask for a date!
LOL the exact reason why I specified, "Some exceptions of course." I know the midwest all too well heh.

I was aiming for meeting up with a few people actually. How is the field museum supposed to be? I'll have to look it up and see what they have. Thanks for mentioning it!

Me14k

Smash Lord
Are you doing an interview for a uni here? UChicago, Northwestern, or some other?

Check out the Field Museum?
Sencond that Q.

Dont go to the aquarium unless if you really like fish, it isnt too exciting.

If you are a sports fan, Go to the chicago cubs official website, When the cubs dont have games and some dates during the offseason they have a cheap tour ($15 a person) and you see everything...pressboxes, bleachers, secruity room, dugouts, locker rooms...Its really cool.

Check out the Sears/Hancock buildings, they both have observatories on the top floor. At the hancock building it si $30 a person to go up..just go to the restuarant on the 95th floor (100 floor building).

unknownforce

Smash Lord
Sencond that Q.

Dont go to the aquarium unless if you really like fish, it isnt too exciting.

If you are a sports fan, Go to the chicago cubs official website, When the cubs dont have games and some dates during the offseason they have a cheap tour ($15 a person) and you see everything...pressboxes, bleachers, secruity room, dugouts, locker rooms...Its really cool.

Check out the Sears/Hancock buildings, they both have observatories on the top floor. At the hancock building it si $30 a person to go up..just go to the restuarant on the 95th floor (100 floor building).
Yeah, the interview is for a Ph.D/Psy.D program I'm considering transfering to. I applied to a bunch of schools though, so I don't know how likely it is I'll end up in Chicago.

I had a chance to look at the fields museum, and it looks really impressive. I'll almost certainly take a look. The Sears/Hancock buildings sound like they are worth a visit too, especially if I can get up for free (I'll pass on the 30 bucks!) I'm not a huge baseball fan, but depending on how much time I have seeing the stadium would be nice. I appreciate all the suggestions.

Oh yes, and does anyone happen to know the best place to get deep dish pizza? I can't leave Chicago without getting some!

edub

Smash Apprentice
i'd say visit the john hancock over the sears if you have a choice
the hancock skydeck is a lot more interesting.. even though the building is not as tall

unknownforce

Smash Lord
Nice, looks like I'll have a lot of options.

So, would anyone be up for smash who lives nearby?

khepri

Smash Lord
Listen to the other guys about the pizza, I don't really care for pizza, but Giordano's is what my friends like which is why I suggested it. If you do go to the Field museum I am only a short distance away from there (15 minutes by car).

If I may ask, what school are you interviewing for?

Me14k

Smash Lord
Listen to the other guys about the pizza, I don't really care for pizza, but Giordano's is what my friends like which is why I suggested it. If you do go to the Field museum I am only a short distance away from there (15 minutes by car).

Yah...let the fat peach player talk about food.

If you do go to the field museum, there is a small private restraunt in the area called 'Manny's'. They have HUGE and AMAZING corned beef sandwhiches. I highly recommend that over any pizza, They have wierd hours..I think they are open from 5am-2:30ish then they close and re open at 5:30-? for dinner.
take the boat tour around chicago
That would take a lot of time...

unknownforce

Smash Lord

I'm interviewing for Chicago School of Professional Psychology. I don't know a huge amount about the programs, since I applied to 9 other programs, so if anyone knows anything about the school I certainly wouldn't mind hearing it.

Doh, and I also found out the week of the 28th was full, so I had to change to the 3rd-4th. I think thats when Pound is taking place, so that kind of rules out my chances of seeing most of the Midwest folks I knew from previous occasions. Lame... I hope that at least some are sticking around. Are Capps and Eddie going?

Capps Indigo

Smash Journeyman
lol, i randomly check swf and i see this thread. good to hear from you uf.

i know im not going to pound if its that weekend. ill check my schedule, and keep an eye on the thread.

i dont know anything about Chicago School of Professional Psychology unless its connected to another school somehow (u of c, uic, ..).

ttyl

Zjiin

Smash Master
Doh, and I also found out the week of the 28th was full, so I had to change to the 3rd-4th. I think thats when Pound is taking place, so that kind of rules out my chances of seeing most of the Midwest folks I knew from previous occasions. Lame... I hope that at least some are sticking around. Are Capps and Eddie going?
I'm pretty sure Eddie and I aren't going to Pound so you're welcome to come visit for some smash.

Minty

Smash Apprentice
my mommy told me not to talk to strangers

put me down as a maybe i have to check my schedule but its in
where are you gonna live temporarily? hotel? which one ? I am assuming one of the hotels in downtown of chicago?

unknownforce

Smash Lord
Wow nice, it would be great to see both Capps and Eddie again. Zjiin your name looks familiar. Were you one of the players I met when I was in Chicago for MLG? I met a bunch of players, but I did not get all their names. It would be great to see you guys. Perhaps we could all meet up sometime on Sunday?

I'm staying at the Holiday Inn, which is at 350 West Mart Center Drive.

Minty hope you can come too even though I don't think we've met before heh.

Minty

Smash Apprentice
we havent but this would be the perfect opportunity to meet as well as meeting zjinn lol and get some smash down =P. Saturday i presume?

Zjiin

Smash Master
Zjiin your name looks familiar. Were you one of the players I met when I was in Chicago for MLG? I met a bunch of players, but I did not get all their names. It would be great to see you guys. Perhaps we could all meet up sometime on Sunday?
Hmmmm, i don't think i was at that one, but my memory isn't what it used to be. Nonetheless your tag sounds familiar as well...

I'm always up for some meetin'.

jnolan

Smash Apprentice
So an outing with Smash players that... might not involve Smash?!
I would be up for going, since I am in LUC (Loyola). What time/where would we be meeting on the 27th?

unknownforce

Smash Lord
So an outing with Smash players that... might not involve Smash?!
I would be up for going, since I am in LUC (Loyola). What time/where would we be meeting on the 27th?
Heh, well I've been out of the smash scene for over two years now, but I still have fun playing once in a while, and I always enjoy seeing members of the smash community. My plane gets in somewhere around 11 on Sunday (the 3rd), so any time after 12 in the afternoon would work fine with me.

I sure wouldn't mind some smash and a trip to the fields museum. Maybe we could do both if everyone would be interested? From what I found on the website, the fields museum has a lot of cool stuff, although I guess it depends on personal preference and may be boring for some. Whatever the group prefers is fine with me.

I should edit my first post to specify when I'll be arriving. I wish I could stay longer, but I have class on Tuesday which kind of limits my time to visit. Monday most of my day will be spent in the interview, so I'm pretty sure Sunday will be my only time to meet up with everyone.

chun1

Smash Apprentice
hmm, i don't know you unknownforce but if you want some smashers i'm game.

Capps Indigo

Smash Journeyman
unknownforce is part of the trio that went to japan, back in the day, and took out the japanese.

-the other two being ken and isai~

know your history!! know your roots nubs!!

=D

unknownforce

Smash Lord
Bach was there too heh. At the time, it looked like a bunch of USA players were going, but it ended up being only four of us. It was a wonderful opportunity, because I never would have been able to afford a trip to Japan otherwise (and I had always wanted to go). Housing was free, many of the meals were free, and Shaka and Ryota showed us the places to get really good food for low prices. I ended up spending only around 200 dollars when I was there, and I was there ten days! The flight wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be either (800 round trip) so it was an incredible bargain. If another large tournament takes place in Japan, I would highly recommend a visit. You will be able to see many impressive things for prices far lower than you would normally pay, and the Japanese players and their families are incredibly nice. I could see another event happening for brawl at some point.

I guess I have a few noteworthy accomplishments in smash, but most players who retire are not too well remembered (with the exception of Neo and Jeremy, but their records speak volumes). I don't mind, because I played smash with the intent of having a good time above all else. Don't know if I was always successful at that, but my overall experience was very positive, and I met a lot of really cool people.

But enough about the past; is there any time for meeting up that would work best for everyone? Any time after 12 should be okay for me.

Razor

Smash Journeyman
are people playing at your hotel, unknownforce? are there setups?

unknownforce

Smash Lord
I'm not sure whats going on yet, but I doubt the hotel would be a place for smash. In the past, the hotel tv's tend not to hook up to systems properly. Someone elses house would probably be the best bet.

chun1

Smash Apprentice
i'll play if there's a place we can use. A lot of ppl are at pound but i'm sure there are plenty of ppl who didn't go

Zjiin

Smash Master
i work freelance and i have a pretty big job open to me on sunday, so i wont be able to hang. Might wanna PM eddie (bigGman) to se if he's still up for gettin together n junk

unknownforce

Smash Lord
Hey guys.

My flight got cancelled (stupid fog) so I'd still be up for stuff any time today, including later in the evening. We could use the hotel for smash, but I think we would need a tv or something (though we might be able to use the tv downstairs if we're lucky)

Anyway, if your up for some smash feel free to give me a call, cause the cpu access here is a ripoff. My cell is 401-633-5946. Just let me know when you would be interested in coming.

Top Bottom