• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Wow. A full page of nothing but stuff about that article. Lol.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
Ya, the game does treat them like that. There's actually a glitch you can do that will mess up Bowser Jr.'s controls because of it. Here's a video showcasing it and some more interesting tidbits.

That was the video I was trying to find again but forgot it was that one the last time I mentioned Bowser Jr. Also,

Answer: Ice Climbers

swordofacorn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swordofacorn
3DS FC
0216-0878-5036
Assuming the ice climbers do return in some way, and they will come with a stage, what music will it have because the ice climber songs are already used for wrecking crew?

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
Assuming the ice climbers do return in some way, and they will come with a stage, what music will it have because the ice climber songs are already used for wrecking crew?
They'd probably have some new remixes of the IC themes

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
They'd probably have some new remixes of the IC themes
That or they would move the songs onto the ICies stage, or just have them on both stages.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Think they'd replace the Ice Climber songs with other songs that fit the stage? Makes me wonder if we'll get more music...
We got a ton more music with the three DLC stages, why not?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Oh, no reason really. It just feels weird to get a song for a stage that already exists, but I'd definitely be all for it.
Well, first thing's first. Any song from Brawl that didn't make it to Smash 4 needs to come back. Brawl had an AMAZING soundtrack. So does Smash 4 (love all the new Mother/EarthBound music), but it is missing a few songs from Brawl that I enjoyed (Humoreque Of A Little Dog from New Pork City didn't make a return, :(). I think there was one or two Animal Crossing pieces that didn't make the jump either.

Last edited:

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
If we get a stage, it will probably have new remixes as well as the songs that Summit had that ended up being scattered in the other stages: Ice Climber, Icicle Mountain (Melee), Balloon Trip, Shin Onigashima, and Clu Clu Land. The same songs in Smash 4 can be used in multiple stages, so if the stage gets all those back, and you raise the frequency of the songs in the other stages, you can have Ice Climber galore!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
If we get a stage, it will probably have new remixes as well as the songs that Summit had that ended up being scattered in the other stages: Ice Climber, Icicle Mountain (Melee), Balloon Trip, Shin Onigashima, and Clu Clu Land. The same songs in Smash 4 can be used in multiple stages, so if the stage gets all those back, and you raise the frequency of the songs in the other stages, you can have Ice Climber galore!
Lol. Too much Ice Climber, too op. Plz nerf Sakurai.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
Wait, Sakurai is in the game? How do you unlock him? And why should they nerf him?:laugh:
You unlock him by completing classic mode 1000 times with every character in conjunction with the "play 1,000,000 hours worth of smashes" achievement. I'm happily rocking him on my console RN XD

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Indeed. Just found out on the Ness boards. R.I.P.. Condolences to his family. This is a very saddening time. :'(

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The Kutthroats have set out to draw their character thanking Iwata for all he has done.

We invite you to do the same.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
The Kutthroats have set out to draw their character thanking Iwata for all he has done.

We invite you to do the same.
I like this idea, although I myself have very little skills in drawing. I mean, I can draw what I see, essentially copy something in drawing form, but I lack abilities to draw on my own.

R.I.P. Mr. Iwata, you've left one heck of a legacy.

EDIT*EDIT*EDIT*EDIT*EDIT
I made a little something in memory of Mr. Iwata. It's nothing much, just something small I put together because I think it really fits for remembering him.
InMemorialOf.png

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I like this idea, although I myself have very little skills in drawing. I mean, I can draw what I see, essentially copy something in drawing form, but I lack abilities to draw on my own.

R.I.P. Mr. Iwata, you've left one heck of a legacy.

EDIT*EDIT*EDIT*EDIT*EDIT
I made a little something in memory of Mr. Iwata. It's nothing much, just something small I put together because I think it really fits for remembering him.
View attachment 61502
Cool.

May I use it for a compilation?

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Hmmmm...I think I get something small done. Can someone give me a picture of the ICies losing animation from Brawl? (Obviously we know what I'm doing now...)

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
The news about Iwata is absolutely heartbreaking. I hope that my avy is good enough to pay tribute to the legend.

edit: this is so appropriate for this moment:

Last edited:

lightdasher

Smash Lord
I remember saying what if Ice Climbers came back split as seperate characters so Popo and Nana would be clones of eachother? Well I through out something!

If you don't understand a special just ask!

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
I remember saying what if Ice Climbers came back split as seperate characters so Popo and Nana would be clones of eachother? Well I through out something!

I think I can translate that:

Neutral Special:
Popo: Deals more damage and knockback than Nana's, but multiple cannot be fired in quick succession.
Nana: Deals less damage and knockback than Popo's, but multiple can be fired in quick succession.

Side Special:
Popo: Swings the hammer around like in Brawl. This deals one hit with high-ish damage and knockback and can be moved left and right when used on-stage. When mashed in midair, it gains more hight than Nana's but doesn't travel as far horizontally. Leaves Popo in a helpless state when used in midair.
Nana: Summons a blizzard around Nana similar to Super Hoop's hoops. This deals multiple hits with little knockback or power and can be moved left and right when used on-stage. When mashed in midair, it gains less hight than Popo's but travels further horizontally. Leaves Nana in a helpless state after it is used in midair.

Down Special:
Popo: Fires two blizzards in front of Popo like if Popo and Nana did a desync Blizzard in Brawl. Deals greater damage, but only covers one side.
Nana: Fires two blizzards, one in front of Nana and the other behind like if Popo and Nana did a synced Blizzard in Brawl. Deals less damage, but covers both sides of Nana.

Up Special:
Popo: Summons a condor that carries Popo. Much like Duck Jump, this can be controlled and can't be canceled at any point during the flight - traveling for a set amount of time. It has the potential to travel further horizontally than Nana's and can be controlled on a 3-dimensional plane with the circle pad, but it does not have the potential to carry him as high. When dropped, Popo is left in a helpless state.
Nana: Summons a bee that carries Nana upwards. Much like Duck Jump, this can be controlled and can't be canceled at any point during the flight - traveling for a set amount of time. While it does not have the potential to travel as far horizontally as Popo's and can only be controlled on a 2-dimensional plane, it carries her significantly higher than Popo's. When dropped, Nana is left in a helpless state.

How did I do? The Nana pictures are so adorable its unreal <3

If it were me, I'd change Nana's to be more similar to Olimar's up special in that it needs to be mashed. I like the idea of Popo's being like Pit's in Brawl (minus the ability to cancel it by using an aerial mid-flight), and I think that Nana's would be cool if it had the potential to carry Nana further, but needed more effort to be put into it due to the bee's smaller wings.

Anyway, great work Lightdasher. That is absolutely adorable (especially Nana's) and I really like it :)

edit:
Awww this is adorable! <3 :popo:
:wolf:
OMG THAT IS SO ADORABLE!

Last edited:

Mariofan5000

Smash Rookie
NNID
mariofan5020
3DS FC
4828-7793-1290

Neutral Special:
Popo: Deals more damage and knockback than Nana's, but multiple cannot be fired in quick succession.
Nana: Deals less damage and knockback than Popo's, but multiple can be fired in quick succession.

Side Special:
Popo: Swings the hammer around like in Brawl. This deals one hit with high-ish damage and knockback and can be moved left and right when used on-stage. When mashed in midair, it gains more hight than Nana's but doesn't travel as far horizontally. Leaves Popo in a helpless state when used in midair.
Nana: Summons a blizzard around Nana similar to Super Hoop's hoops. This deals multiple hits with little knockback or power and can be moved left and right when used on-stage. When mashed in midair, it gains less hight than Popo's but travels further horizontally. Leaves Nana in a helpless state after it is used in midair.

Down Special:
Popo: Fires two blizzards in front of Popo like if Popo and Nana did a desync Blizzard in Brawl. Deals greater damage, but only covers one side.
Nana: Fires two blizzards, one in front of Nana and the other behind like if Popo and Nana did a synced Blizzard in Brawl. Deals less damage, but covers both sides of Nana.

Up Special:
Popo: Summons a condor that carries Popo. Much like Duck Jump, this can be controlled and can't be canceled at any point during the flight - traveling for a set amount of time. It has the potential to travel further horizontally than Nana's and can be controlled on a 3-dimensional plane with the circle pad, but it does not have the potential to carry him as high. When dropped, Popo is left in a helpless state.
Nana: Summons a bee that carries Nana upwards. Much like Duck Jump, this can be controlled and can't be canceled at any point during the flight - traveling for a set amount of time. While it does not have the potential to travel as far horizontally as Popo's and can only be controlled on a 2-dimensional plane, it carries her significantly higher than Popo's. When dropped, Nana is left in a helpless state.

If it were me, I'd change Nana's to be more similar to Olimar's up special in that it needs to be mashed. I like the idea of Popo's being like Pit's in Brawl (minus the ability to cancel it by using an aerial mid-flight), and I think that Nana's would be cool if it had the potential to carry Nana further, but needed more effort to be put into it due to the bee's smaller wings.

Anyway, great work Lightdasher. That is absolutely adorable (especially Nana's) and I really like it :)

edit:

OMG THAT IS SO ADORABLE!
I bet almost no one knows why Nana summons a bee. It was an enemy in an Arcade rerelease if you didn't know. Though as an entrance I'd say have her fly in on the butterfly from that rerelease that replaces the condor in the later half of stages, and have Popo use the blue condor from the second set in the FDS version for his up B to make it a little bit different.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
Yo @ ROBnWatch ROBnWatch where u at? Its not like u to not post here within 48 hours of ur previous post.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Well...to quote Mr. Sakurai...

"Yes I'm still alive."

Life has just been giving me too much to handle right now. I'm going to a robotics camp this week that takes up most of my day. But I'm still here.

I also need to finish my drawing for Iwata...

Last edited:

lightdasher

Smash Lord

Neutral Special:
Popo: Deals more damage and knockback than Nana's, but multiple cannot be fired in quick succession, sends opponents a set angle.
Nana: Deals less damage, knockback and is smaller than Popo's, but multiple can be fired in quick succession, sends opponents in the angle the icicle is pointing, spins as it falls off a ledge, which means it can spike, melts faster.

Side Special:
Nana: Summons a blizzard around Nana similar to Super Hoop's hoops. This deals multiple hits with little knockback or power and can be moved left and right when used on-stage. When mashed in midair, it gains less height than Popo's but travels further horizontally, blizzard gains additional range when doing this as well. Leaves Nana in a helpless state after it is used in midair.

Down Special:
Popo: Fires two blizzards in front of Popo like if Popo and Nana did a desync Blizzard in Brawl. Deals greater damage, but only covers one side, the button can be held and acts similar to Charizard or Bowsers flamethrower, can freeze opponents. Can also be used to stall in the air, blizzard fires at a downwards angle while airborne.
Nana: Fires two blizzards, one in front of Nana and the other behind like if Popo and Nana did a synced Blizzard in Brawl. Deals less damage, but covers both sides of Nana. The front blizzard is at a higher angle, while the back is a little lower, can edgegaurd with the back blizzard, button cannot be held.

Up Special:
Popo: Summons a condor that carries Popo. Much like Duck Jump, this can be controlled and can't be canceled at any point during the flight - traveling for a set amount of time. It has the potential to travel further horizontally than Nana's and can be controlled on a 3-dimensional plane with the circle pad, but it does not have the potential to carry him as high. When dropped, Popo is left in a helpless state. Acts like a slower veresion of Metaknights shuttleloop, Condor flies off and is a low damage projectile after the move finishes.
Nana: Summons a bee that carries Nana upwards. Much like Duck Jump, this can be controlled and can't be canceled at any point during the flight - traveling for a set amount of time. While it does not have the potential to travel as far horizontally as Popo's and can only be controlled on a 2-dimensional plane, it carries her significantly higher than Popo's. When dropped, Nana is left in a helpless state. Like Olimars.

edit:

OMG THAT IS SO ADORABLE!
You're not far off. fixes are in red, incorrect is in blue

Last edited:

Flor@

Smash Apprentice

Damn.... seeing this in-game would be really sad... but at the same time... I would be okay with it. I just want to see their faces in Smash, and I don't think I can really ask for more than that. A lot of people think that we could ask for more, but honestly, something like this would still be really cool. It could essentially be a two-in-one character deal. On the character select screen, we'd see "Ice Climbers," but we could choose between the two from there. Maybe have a function like the custom fighter selection. (when actually looking for custom fighters, first a menu to select Popo or Nana, then a menu to select the custom fighter for the chosen Ice Climber)

Honestly it'd be really cool and interesting. But sadly, it would still be a sad end to the duo's main mechanic--being a team at all times. Heheh, maybe something really cute they could do is put a pin of Nana's face on Popo's parka and vice versa. D'aww... And maybe whenever they fly off-screen and lose a stock, or when they take somebody else's stock, you can hear the other IC cheer for them, or cry for them. And when they're on the respawn platform, BOTH ICs are there, and heck, maybe you can choose which one should spawn by pressing either "attack" or "special."

Wow that would be kinda awesome. Wonder if any of that would cause any lag issues though. Wonder if spawning a chosen character on the spot like that requires a lot of processing power.

EDIT: And when Smash 5 comes around, the ICs get a deluxe treatment, and the ORIGINAL ICs are able to be chosen, AND you are able to choose (the new and improved) SoNa or SoPo. All because the 3DS (and possibly Wii U's) limitations. We'd get something amazing. Hah.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
(when actually looking for custom fighters, first a menu to select Popo or Nana, then a menu to select the custom fighter for the chosen Ice Climber)
Except, you know, DLC characters don't get customs. :(

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
Except, you know, DLC characters don't get customs. :(
Oh yeah....
Well we could really only ask for so much. I guess that'd be quite fair anyways. ^^' But man, now I'm actually kind of hyped for Smash Wii U SoNa and SoPo--so long as they get that unique treatment.

Also, since I haven't said it personally, rest in peace, Satoru Iwata. His funeral is 1-2 days from now (depending on time zone), on the 17th of July. Wonder what this all means for the future of Nintendo. Hopefully it means only a better and brighter future, and lessons learned. May his soul, and the many other lost souls dear to us, live on through us and/or their loved ones.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Oh yeah....
Well we could really only ask for so much. I guess that'd be quite fair anyways. ^^' But man, now I'm actually kind of hyped for Smash Wii U SoNa and SoPo--so long as they get that unique treatment.

Also, since I haven't said it personally, rest in peace, Satoru Iwata. His funeral is 1-2 days from now (depending on time zone), on the 17th of July. Wonder what this all means for the future of Nintendo. Hopefully it means only a better and brighter future, and lessons learned. May his soul, and the many other lost souls dear to us, live on through us and/or their loved ones.
He definitely left Nintendo going down the right path. I just hope Nintendo stays on that path.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I bet almost no one knows why Nana summons a bee. It was an enemy in an Arcade rerelease if you didn't know. Though as an entrance I'd say have her fly in on the butterfly from that rerelease that replaces the condor in the later half of stages, and have Popo use the blue condor from the second set in the FDS version for his up B to make it a little bit different.
Oh, thank you! I was just about to ask what's up the bee? Still, it, along with the rest of that picture is adorable!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Well guys, I'm finally done with my drawing. I'll color it in tomorrow and post it here.

Top Bottom