• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Dr Mario is a veteran that's why. He started the trend of returning cuts.
Then we got Mewtwo, Lucas and Roy. And most likely Wolf to follow soon.
Ice Climbers are in brackets because no one knows how or when they will return. But they were planned so they somewhat count.
Lol, not trying to start an argument with you but if he's there twice because he's a veteran, then shouldn't the original 12 all be up there 4 times?

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
Lol, not trying to start an argument with you but if he's there twice because he's a veteran, then shouldn't the original 12 all be up there 4 times?
Dr Mario is a veteran that's why. He started the trend of returning cuts.
Then we got Mewtwo, Lucas and Roy. And most likely Wolf to follow soon.
Ice Climbers are in brackets because no one knows how or when they will return. But they were planned so they somewhat count.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
OK. Got it now. *Insert thumbs up icon here*

FancySmash

Smash Lord
I have actually seen some people say that Ice Climbers would pretty much wrap up the DLC characters, or I should say, they'd be the last DLC character released. That's actually quite optimistic compared to all the naysayers.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Err, I meant at the end of the DLC cycle, not that they'd be the next and last. I mean, we have a ballot still (with K. Rool as the most likely winner of the Ballot).
They probably won't do one ballot winner. I mean seriously, one ballot winner after months of waiting and we get King K. Rool (my most wanted) and no one else. That's pretty crappy (and bad for business).

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
They probably won't do one ballot winner. I mean seriously, one ballot winner after months of waiting and we get King K. Rool (my most wanted) and no one else. That's pretty crappy (and bad for business).
Sakurai likes surprising us. Honestly, Wolf and King K. Rool only seems lackluster.
I think an awesome lineup for DLC would be (In this order. Characters in brackets are revealed together.):
Mewtwo (Confirmed), Lucas (Confirmed), [Roy, (Confirmed), Ryu (Confirmed)], Wolf (Pretty much a given at this point), [Pichu (I want to see how much fun they can have with his reveal), King K. Rool (Pretty much a given)], Bandana Dee, Young Link, Isaac, Ice Climbers, Snake, maybe one more character.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Sakurai likes surprising us. Honestly, Wolf and King K. Rool only seems lackluster.
I think an awesome lineup for DLC would be (In this order. Characters in brackets are revealed together.):
Mewtwo (Confirmed), Lucas (Confirmed), [Roy, (Confirmed), Ryu (Confirmed)], Wolf (Pretty much a given at this point), [Pichu (I want to see how much fun they can have with his reveal), King K. Rool (Pretty much a given)], Bandana Dee, Young Link, Isaac, Ice Climbers, Snake, maybe one more character.
That's, quite a few characters. There are a few I'd take out of that list, but I won't say who, to avoid controversy. But I think ICies are going to be in the middle of the DLC, as opposed to some of you who think they'll be announced near the end. Just my opinion.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
The Ballot is not a full on contest. It confused me since day 1 when people started saying "the Ballot winner" rather than "the characters added through the Ballot." The plurals sound more reassuring. Sakurai said they're done with pre-ballot characters, and from now on, characters revealed will be because of the ballot. Considering we got 4 pre-ballot characters, that makes me believe there will be 4, maybe 5 characters from the Ballot directly from us. Isn't is scary though? Thinking about how if it weren't for us, Sakurai may not have ever wanted to consider trying to put the Ice Climbers back in Smash 4 again? That's the impression I got from the Random R's (Roy and Ryu) who weren't particularly popular choices until the sound file leaks that turned out to be true. I get Roy to an extent, but why Ryu? Sakurai wasn't so fond of the idea of putting fighting game characters in. Based on my experiences playing as him, I can see why. His inclusion is like Sakurai deliberately defying himself. "If a game isn't fun, then what's the point?" Sure he brings something new to Smash, but it's just putting a bare-bones fighting game character into another fighting game. In my opinion, I don't see bringing a character from a fighting game with mechanics foreign to Smash being called "unique." I believe it would make sense if I were to say this: "Why play as Ryu in Smash when I can play as him in tons of other fighting games?" But I don't think questioning Ryu's inclusion now will help us get much closer to getting ICies back. Although I would like to hear Sakurai's reasoning and what inspired him to add Ryu. I mean, say instead of Roy and Ryu, the last two pre-ballot characters were King K. Rool and Wolf. Would that negatively affect the hype knowing that two characters with incredible amounts of support were already planned by Sakurai himself to leave room for the next most popular and feasible choices? Or is it more worrisome knowing that two less popular characters made it in with a much less significant amount of fan input leading more people to be concerned about the likelihood of their characters knowing that they have some competitors that are essentially juggernaut status?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That's, quite a few characters. There are a few I'd take out of that list, but I won't say who, to avoid controversy. But I think ICies are going to be in the middle of the DLC, as opposed to some of you who think they'll be announced near the end. Just my opinion.
(pouts) I never said it was a very likely list. Aside from the fact that you don't like/care about Pichu and Young Link, It's pretty good right?
The Ballot is not a full on contest. It confused me since day 1 when people started saying "the Ballot winner" rather than "the characters added through the Ballot." The plurals sound more reassuring. Sakurai said they're done with pre-ballot characters, and from now on, characters revealed will be because of the ballot. Considering we got 4 pre-ballot characters, that makes me believe there will be 4, maybe 5 characters from the Ballot directly from us. Isn't is scary though? Thinking about how if it weren't for us, Sakurai may not have ever wanted to consider trying to put the Ice Climbers back in Smash 4 again? That's the impression I got from the Random R's (Roy and Ryu) who weren't particularly popular choices until the sound file leaks that turned out to be true. I get Roy to an extent, but why Ryu? Sakurai wasn't so fond of the idea of putting fighting game characters in. Based on my experiences playing as him, I can see why. His inclusion is like Sakurai deliberately defying himself. "If a game isn't fun, then what's the point?" Sure he brings something new to Smash, but it's just putting a bare-bones fighting game character into another fighting game. In my opinion, I don't see bringing a character from a fighting game with mechanics foreign to Smash being called "unique." I believe it would make sense if I were to say this: "Why play as Ryu in Smash when I can play as him in tons of other fighting games?" But I don't think questioning Ryu's inclusion now will help us get much closer to getting ICies back. Although I would like to hear Sakurai's reasoning and what inspired him to add Ryu. I mean, say instead of Roy and Ryu, the last two pre-ballot characters were King K. Rool and Wolf. Would that negatively affect the hype knowing that two characters with incredible amounts of support were already planned by Sakurai himself to leave room for the next most popular and feasible choices? Or is it more worrisome knowing that two less popular characters made it in with a much less significant amount of fan input leading more people to be concerned about the likelihood of their characters knowing that they have some competitors that are essentially juggernaut status?
Not exactly. He said it would be strictly fanservice from here on out. This statement makes me laugh because it was always fanservice.
Why play Ryu in tons of other fighting games when you can play him in smash? :smirk:
I honestly don't think it's either. I think they are either saving the best for last (How can they top Ryu as far as blowing people away? Probably nothing short of Snake.), or they are just keeping the hype elevated through the whole thing.

swordofacorn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swordofacorn
3DS FC
0216-0878-5036
That's very subjective, you can't say a character doesn't fit into smash because you don't like to play as it.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
(pouts) I never said it was a very likely list. Aside from the fact that you don't like/care about Pichu and Young Link, It's pretty good right?
Ya. Even taking them out, there are a few characters who I really wouldn't mind getting in, but I'm not all for them or totally against them. Other than that, it's quite a good list. And Sakurai did say fan service, not ROBnWatch service. So, as long as I get a few characters I want, I'm good with it.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Ice Climbers are my most wanted by far. They were my old mains, and I need my babies back.

kylexv

Smash Master
So, @ PushDustIn PushDustIn is working on translating Sakurai's newest Famitsu column, and I am sad to say that the Ice Climbers will not happen as DLC. The development team literally tried everything, even removing gravity from the game entirely, and they still could not get them to work

:cry: i cri evry time :cry:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
So, @ PushDustIn PushDustIn is working on translating Sakurai's newest Famitsu column, and I am sad to say that the Ice Climbers will not happen as DLC. The development team literally tried everything, even removing gravity from the game entirely, and they still could not get them to work

Link please. I'm not trusting anyone but Sakurai himself.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA

Well if this is true, there's always Smash 5.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Not yet. PushDustIn is working hard to finish translating, but I'll edit this post once it's up.
Can you put it in a different post instead? I don't want to be going through this to find it, especially since you don't receive notifications for edits. Or you could just put (in bigger font/all caps) "EDIT".

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Sorry to hear about the Ice Climbers being deconfrimed. I miss the little guys too, here's hoping for Smash 5.

StormC

Smash Hero
I'd guess their work done in the Wii U version will make their assets easier to transfer to the next Smash.

JaylonSonicSpeed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JaylnSonicSpeed
Well guys, it's been a fun ride atleast. I actually hated the Ice Climbers before they got cut. Afterwards I played Brawl once and was like,"Hey, it's the little guys that got cut. Aw, I feel kinda bad for them, let's give them a try." Turned out I loved them, I main themin Brawl now. Then I'm like,"Huh, I wonder if there are any petitions or anything for them?". And that's how I found Smashboards and this thread. And I've a blast since I've joined. I made new friends who were very passionate about ICs too. We all kept a mostly positive attitude about something that was inevitable in the end. There will always be an empty hole in Sm4sh's heart in my opinion. This mountain just wasn't ready for them... and plus

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
So whats happening to this thread?
Perhaps we can turn it into a push for Wii U exclusive? Not likely, but at least it's something to keep the dream alive.

EDIT:
Here's the full translation.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Does the link describe the original problem they had with the Ice Climbers? Or is this the second attempt after they announced DLC? It just sounds like what Sakurai originally said, like they haven't picked them back up after DLC came up. Sorry about the question, just was curious.

Last edited:

ZeldaMaster

Smash Lord
So according to PushDustin and several others, they have sufficient evidence to show that Wolf isn't nearly as much of a lock as we once thought.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
So according to PushDustin and several others, they have sufficient evidence to show that Wolf isn't nearly as much of a lock as we once thought.
Really? What makes you say that? I mean, I'm OK with this I suppose. I don't necessarily care if Wolf is in the roster or not, but people who do want him would be hurt, so I'm just curious on the sake of that.

(Actually, if ICies can't make it, than I say no more veterans should come back!)
Just kidding of course :laugh:. I'd post the Eggman "you know what they say, the more the merrier" video again, but people find it annoying.

Err, anyways. Do you guys think the Ice Climbers will have a harder time making it to Smash 5 now that they've been absent? That kinda worries me.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Perhaps we can turn it into a push for Wii U exclusive? Not likely, but at least it's something to keep the dream alive.

EDIT:

Does the link describe the original problem they had with the Ice Climbers? Or is this the second attempt after they announced DLC? It just sounds like what Sakurai originally said, like they haven't picked them back up after DLC came up. Sorry about the question, just was curious.
The characters will always be the same for 3DS and Wii U. So no hope for Wii U. Plus, I personally think that they don't work with 8 player Smash as they already limit the stage capabilities with just 8 players. 16 players (Nana and Popo both count as fighters) is probably impossible for even Final Destination.

This is an older quote before DLC, it's never been fully translated before.

There's strong hope for the next game.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
The characters will always be the same for 3DS and Wii U. So no hope for Wii U. Plus, I personally think that they don't work with 8 player Smash as they already limit the stage capabilities with just 8 players. 16 players (Nana and Popo both count as fighters) is probably impossible for even Final Destination.

This is an older quote before DLC, it's never been fully translated before.

There's strong hope for the next game.
...So, to the extremely optimistic, there's still a sliver of a chance, but the sliver is now even smaller than before?

Eh, who am I kidding. If he tried all of that the first time, what's to help this time.

Unless... anyone want to make a suggestion on a way Sakurai can make it work still, anyone? :laugh:

Anyways, thank's PushDustIn, I was really curious of the time of the quote. :)

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
...So, to the extremely optimistic, there's still a sliver of a chance, but the sliver is now even smaller than before?

Eh, who am I kidding. If he tried all of that the first time, what's to help this time.

Unless... anyone want to make a suggestion on a way Sakurai can make it work still, anyone? :laugh:

Anyways, thank's PushDustIn, I was really curious of the time of the quote. :)
Check the site for full details. We include dates and additional information. We've been building a treasure trove of information for fans. Anything you might have heard about Smash development has probably come from us.

Best bet is the next Smash game, no doubt. Sakurai does seem especially attached to the Ice Climbers if he was went that far into depth about why they couldn't get in. Wolf, Lucas and other cut veterans just got a small blurb saying that because a new game wasn't planned or likely they werent prioritized in development (the roster was probably made before Sakurai knew about Star Fox: Zero).

Last edited:

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
A few thoughts on this whole thing: It looks like the Ice Climbers are deconfirmed... in their traditional form on the 3DS. After almost a year, it takes this long to have something in English that's so specific to their 3DS dilemma. Removing all those joints and going zero gravity is much more specific than "modifications." And isn't that translation just a more accurate version of this one? http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...ahiro-sakurai-s-super-smash-bros-diaries.aspx. See "Where is [insert character here]?" This doesn't seem like the "Sakurai confirms that the Ice Climbers will not be DLC" story given a second glance. It's notable how the wording in the new Source Gaming version is placed. If I'm not mistaken, it looks as if the priority and Melee vet portions are split off. Saying, "this part talks about the ill-fated attempts to get ICies running properly on both versions, while this paragraph states why certain characters were placed as a lower priority like Lucas and such as well as the difficulty of porting Melee vets not in Brawl like Mewtwo who is a completely unique character." I find it silly for someone to see this as there official deconfirmation considering A: Think About the Video Games, vol. 461-464, October 2014, and B: There are other less traditional solutions to revamp them at least just this once for Smash 4 that a good amount of Ice Climbers fans would be willing to accept as alternatives.

So what does this mean for us as Ice Climbers supporters? Simple. We discuss the alternatives. I'm actually so thankful that we're given more clarity during a time full of speculation. Essentially, this is more of a reason to cross "Traditional Ice Climbers on both versions" off of our lists. I think that's something special about us in general. With the situation ICies are in, it causes our expectations to be very flexible, where we don't say, "Oh, it's supposed to be this way and it has to be just like this and that's that!" We have other possibilities ranging from giving them new mechanics as close to their duo as possible, which probably Sakurai tried, to Wii U exclusivity which would be quite the push and that's an under-exaggeration if I ever saw one, or a solo Ice Climber which I'd find a not perfect but okay last resort that holds us over for Smash 5 when they're more likely to be fully in their traditional roots. This is not a time for sorrow. This is a time to regroup, re-evaluate, and re-analyze. Sure, I'm a very patient person. Sometimes too patient. If I waited 7 years for Mewtwo, I can certainly wait 10 years for Ice Climbers if they didn't return. I personally am trying to take an approach where I ask for the Ice Climbers and spend that waiting time on what I enjoy instead of obsessing over my wants before receiving them. I suggest you all do the same. Anything to keep this era fun. This is not over.

I would like to take this opportunity to say thank you so much, @ PushDustIn PushDustIn for your contribution. I believe you've really helped me and the rest of us out a lot. You and the rest of Source Gaming do so much for the Smash community as a whole, and we would never be the same without you. It's been a pleasure. Keep up the good work, guys!

Top Bottom