• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
What if in Smash 5, characters who had significant changes in their playstyle in Smash 4 all had deluxe versions? If ICies ended up being split with a new playstyle and it grows on people, maybe for them in Smash 5, their deluxe version (the new one) could be accessed as a custom. Zelda, Sheik, Samus, and Zero Suit Samus could get their transformations as deluxe versions or vise versa. I personally prefer their non-transforming versions being their defaults. So they all get their own slots on the roster still. Traditional Ice Climbers can be the default and they both show up in one slot. But when you turn customs on, you can access deluxe characters. More slots will become visible when turned on. These slots could have Zelda/Sheik paired up, Samus/ZSS paired up, and individual Ice Climbers with a different playstyle. Maybe as a spiritual successor to the Pokémon Trainer's mechanic, Smash 5 could take some inspiration from one of Project M's recent things where your stocks can be different fighters. When you get KO'd, you switch to another character. You know, the more we talk about things that could happen in Smash 5, the more likely it seems for us to get a fifth installment that's still new. It's like we're kickstarting it by doing the thinking for them. I wonder what Rate their Chances will think when the "this is the last Smash" concept gets enough nominations?

JaylonSonicSpeed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JaylnSonicSpeed
What if in Smash 5, characters who had significant changes in their playstyle in Smash 4 all had deluxe versions? If ICies ended up being split with a new playstyle and it grows on people, maybe for them in Smash 5, their deluxe version (the new one) could be accessed as a custom. Zelda, Sheik, Samus, and Zero Suit Samus could get their transformations as deluxe versions or vise versa. I personally prefer their non-transforming versions being their defaults. So they all get their own slots on the roster still. Traditional Ice Climbers can be the default and they both show up in one slot. But when you turn customs on, you can access deluxe characters. More slots will become visible when turned on. These slots could have Zelda/Sheik paired up, Samus/ZSS paired up, and individual Ice Climbers with a different playstyle. Maybe as a spiritual successor to the Pokémon Trainer's mechanic, Smash 5 could take some inspiration from one of Project M's recent things where your stocks can be different fighters. When you get KO'd, you switch to another character. You know, the more we talk about things that could happen in Smash 5, the more likely it seems for us to get a fifth installment that's still new. It's like we're kickstarting it by doing the thinking for them. I wonder what Rate their Chances will think when the "this is the last Smash" concept gets enough nominations?
I've been thinking the same thing for the longest time as well. However maybe instead of a custom it could be a special input like Shield + Special so it could in be in With Anyone online.

swordofacorn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swordofacorn
3DS FC
0216-0878-5036
Maybe we'll have both ice climbers but one stands next to the other one (it will almost looks like you only have Popo but you can slightly see nana and you can see nana fully if you pause and move the camera), but when they reach 100% nana gets knocked out, and you're left with only Popo with weaker attacks, and the rest of the problems he had being alone it brawl. I might try to draw it later to make my idea more understandable ( although I'm awful at drawing).

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Maybe we'll have both ice climbers but one stands next to the other one (it will almost looks like you only have Popo but you can slightly see nana and you can see nana fully if you pause and move the camera), but when they reach 100% nana gets knocked out, and you're left with only Popo with weaker attacks, and the rest of the problems he had being alone it brawl. I might try to draw it later to make my idea more understandable ( although I'm awful at drawing).
No need. I understand that. Not a bad idea either.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
You're not far off. fixes are in red, incorrect is in blue
Yeah. Based around this, I can already tell that Nana is better than Popo in every way possible XD It's kinda ironic considering how notoriously stupid the Nana AI is XD Still, I think that it is good regardless (as I'd rather Nana were better than Popo :))
IMO, the deluxe versions of the Ice Climbers should be accessible the same way that ZSS was on the char select screen in Brawl (hold L on the user's controller when pressing start). I think that the Samus/ZSS transformation should be changed to a custom of the down special as opposed to the final smash as that would be hard to implement as a custom in its traditional form.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
It'd be...alright, for this iteration, but next time we definitely, no matter what, get them back to their original character.

Guys, I sadly won't have the drawing up today for Iwata. An unforeseen scrimmage with my soccer team popped up literally about an hour after I posted that I would have it up. It will DEFINITELY be up tomorrow. No doubt.

Mask and Mirror

Smash Apprentice
It's such a pain that every character has to work on 3DS. It really hampers the possibilities for the WiiU version :(

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Guys...

My Iwata drawing's still not done. And I honestly don't know when it will be done. I messed up in the coloring sequence, and I'll have to try to find a way to get around it. It's coming, but now, with what I'm dealing with, it might not be up until Monday the latest. Sorry all.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Guys...

My Iwata drawing's still not done. And I honestly don't know when it will be done. I messed up in the coloring sequence, and I'll have to try to find a way to get around it. It's coming, but now, with what I'm dealing with, it might not be up until Monday the latest. Sorry all.
That's quite alright, we're a patient bunch! :)

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
...I'd still be fine if we got a single Climber and the other as an alt.

Not holding my breath for the duo though....
Yeah, if they have nothing else to resort to but that, then fine. Just this once until they can be a duo again in Smash 5.

Thinking back to how Iwata saved Pokémon Gold, Silver, and Crystal by compressing the files to fit Kanto into the game makes me wonder if ICies would be able to work properly with the help of file compression. Probably not because that might only apply to the capacity that the game can hold, mainly the 3DS version. Just a thought. Iwata's programming skills made just about anything in game development seem possible. *sniffle* Iwata...:cry:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Yeah, if they have nothing else to resort to but that, then fine. Just this once until they can be a duo again in Smash 5.

Thinking back to how Iwata saved Pokémon Gold, Silver, and Crystal by compressing the files to fit Kanto into the game makes me wonder if ICies would be able to work properly with the help of file compression. Probably not because that might only apply to the capacity that the game can hold, mainly the 3DS version. Just a thought. Iwata's programming skills made just about anything in game development seem possible. *sniffle* Iwata...:cry:
Ya, he's had an impact on me as well, as I just recently beat EarthBound, which wouldn't have made it to the shelves if he hadn't helped Shigesato Itoi with some programming errors.

Last edited:

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
Just a word to all IC fans out there, check out Chu Dat repping the climbers in Top 8 of EVO tomorrow!

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
I'm saddened by the 27 "indifferent" votes...

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
At the time of my voting, there was 31 "yes" votes, 7 "no" votes, and 30 "indifferent" votes. People sure are giving these guys a hard time...

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
My best bet is that people are thinking they wouldn't have a chance anyways, or that they would take up too much development time (which could be used on their very own most-wanted character(s). But note that many opt not to vote "no." Because they're still very much wanted cut veterans! Also, many may also think that they would only return in some sort of watered-down fashion as DLC, or perhaps Wii U exclusive. Which they wouldn't want.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
A lot of players apparently don't like Ice Climbers because of "their annoying playstyle". Wobbling, Chain Grabs, and desyncing I guess.
Wouldn't wobbling and chain-grabbing be ineffective/unable to be performed now due to the new mechanics? I swear some people need to catch up with the times (not directing this towards you).

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I guess so, seeing as how the competitive community enjoys it so much. But, I'm more of a casual player, and I play ICies as is. For me, it doesn't make them any less fun to play as. In fact, I think I've only ever done 2 chaingrabs with the ICies. But still, either way, they're a great, fun duo that should never be forgotten. Stupid 3DS limitations...

Magikarpow

Smash Journeyman
I guess so, seeing as how the competitive community enjoys it so much. But, I'm more of a casual player, and I play ICies as is. For me, it doesn't make them any less fun to play as. In fact, I think I've only ever done 2 chaingrabs with the ICies. But still, either way, they're a great, fun duo that should never be forgotten. Stupid 3DS limitations...
Yeah, I can't see why Sakurai won't let the Wii U have one exclusive. C'mon it gives completionsts an incentive to buy the Wii U version. Or maybe Ice Climbers would work on the New 3DS...

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Yeah, I can't see why Sakurai won't let the Wii U have one exclusive. C'mon it gives completionsts an incentive to buy the Wii U version. Or maybe Ice Climbers would work on the New 3DS...
Maybe. And the same roster rule really doesn't apply now. I mean, there is the possibility that somebody out there doesn't have any of the DLC yet. And I do. Now tell me we have the same rosters. You can't, and therefore I would think that it's OK, just this once, to have a Wii U exclusive character.

But then, ya know, all the 3DS people get upset...thank goodness I've got a Wii U in case this happens, because I immediately ruled out the 3DS version once I saw it's graphics for the game in the first trailer.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
What the heck guys? Why is there no conversation?

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
I don't like the concept of solo Climber. I don't care if thats how they were in the original game, its a big change for the character

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Ya. Far too big a change. We'll need to try to keep them as close to the original character as possible.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I feel like Sakurai wouldn't want to bring in just one Ice Climber. He's kind of got this "Its got to be this way or we're not doing it at all" kind of attitude.

His stubbornness prevented things like Ridley and could have prevented Pac-Man if he had to use a different design.

Who knows what else we didn't get because of some silly reason that would only bother Sakurai and no one else.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Ya, and I have a feeling that if Sakurai was going to do the solo Climber with the other as an alt. method, he would have done it by now.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
I got nothing. This week has been completely dry of any new info. All I can do is wait for the Palutena amiibo to go up and play some other games in the mean time.

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
New here. Count me in for Ice Climbers support.
Wellcum.

At the moment there isn't much to discuss. It's all already been said. Except for the idea of solo ICs with diff movesets, until recently. Some are for this idea, some are not. Which is to be expected if you pay attention to the conversations throughout the pages. And yeah we can't really say if sakurai would lean one way or the other because all news on the ICs is gathering dust.

It seems like odds are that Sakurai has pretty much left them for a later time. But who knows, this winter we may get a very pleasant (and very unexpected) surprise. Also that one article translating a page from a book published a year ago sorta killed a lot of peoples' hopes of the ICs coming back. But I'm still definitely hoping for solo/unique ICs. But haha, that's just a dream at this point. It's fine if I have to wait 6 years or so for them to come back I suppose.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Of course I've still got my hopes, and I'd rather not wait too long for them to return. If they're not coming back this iteration, this is what I want...

Guaranteed return in SSB5, and an announcement of SSB5 about a year after SSB4 is done with it's DLC run.

Top Bottom