• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Post it on imgur.com. Then take the link of the picture by right clicking and pressing copy image URL and then do the normal picture thing on Smashboards.
That works too, but in my opinion, my way is much easier. Take your pick, Jaylon.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
I am surprised to see so many people count the Ice climbers out. they sounded like they were finished on the Wii U version and almost finished on the 3DS version, during development they didn't want to waste so much time getting the IC's to work. Now they have all the time they need to get them to work on the 3DS version.

swordofacorn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Swordofacorn
3DS FC
0216-0878-5036
I am surprised to see so many people count the Ice climbers out. they sounded like they were finished on the Wii U version and almost finished on the 3DS version, during development they didn't want to waste so much time getting the IC's to work. Now they have all the time they need to get them to work on the 3DS version.
From what sakurai said on ICs it seems as though it would be hard to put them on 3ds (he never said impossible) but it would take too much time for a character from a franchise without a big future. I hope that now that the game is done he will find time to add them to the roster.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
ThanksView attachment 58871
Whelp, I know it's not much but hey, I'm gonna support my babies :chuckle:
Artwork looks great Jaylon! Definitely makes me think that with any Ice Climber confirmation, we'd need to make a gallery page in their thread.

Yeah, people heard Sakurai say that there were problems with the 3DS, and they automatically assumed "nope, never gonna happen." It's kinda sad really...

JaylonSonicSpeed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JaylnSonicSpeed
Thanks for all the awesome feedback guys!:estatic: Hopefully soon I can get a drawing pad for my laptop for a special animation project *wink wink nudge nudge*

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
I hope the Icies make it. Honestly, if we get an announcement of them and Wolf we will be set. Snake is probably not coming back and even though it'd be great for Ivysaur and Squirtle to return, they probably won't :c Hell it'd be crazy if we got ICies and Wolf next month (August) and Ivysaur and Squirtle September, with the surprise Snake in October with the announcement of the first ballot character *cough K. Rool)

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
Assuming that all veterans that return do so out of Sakurai's initiative, the first ballot character is most likely gonna be one of King K. Rool, Banjo and Kazooie, Isaac, Inkling or Dixie Kong. I don't see many characters beyond those four making an appearance as newcomers outside the possibility of another Pokémon or another Fire Emblem character - both of which are now highly inflated franchises on the roster (the former of which's 6 characters is only beaten to the punch by Mario's grand total of 11 (assuming that the Yoshi's Island, DK, DK Country, Warioware and Dr. Mario franchises come under the umbrella of "Mario characters")).

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Assuming that all veterans that return do so out of Sakurai's initiative, the first ballot character is most likely gonna be one of King K. Rool, Banjo and Kazooie, Isaac, Inkling or Dixie Kong. I don't see many characters beyond those four making an appearance as newcomers outside the possibility of another Pokémon or another Fire Emblem character - both of which are now highly inflated franchises on the roster (the former of which's 6 characters is only beaten to the punch by Mario's grand total of 11 (assuming that the Yoshi's Island, DK, DK Country, Warioware and Dr. Mario franchises come under the umbrella of "Mario characters")).
It'll most likely be King K Rool. Banjo and Kazooie aren't going to get in the game no matter how much people want them, they are owned by Microsoft, Nintendo's direct competition, why would Nintendo want to endorse their rival.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
It'll most likely be King K Rool. Banjo and Kazooie aren't going to get in the game no matter how much people want them, they are owned by Microsoft, Nintendo's direct competition, why would Nintendo want to endorse their rival.
K. Rool? Well, looks like Brawl Bowser is back...

But ya, even though I'm completely against it, K. Rool will probably be joining the Smash party soon...

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
K. Rool? Well, looks like Brawl Bowser is back...

But ya, even though I'm completely against it, K. Rool will probably be joining the Smash party soon...
Um no, K Rool isn't just Bowser. He's actually quite fast. He uses his crown, his blunderbuss, cannonballs, his helipack,electricity, boxing gloves. Have you even looked at the thread to see his potential. You could've just said you didn't like K Rool but going as far as to say he'd be Bowser, that's like saying King Dedede will be a clone of Ice Climbers because he's a penguin and has a hammer back in the Brawl days.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Um no, K Rool isn't just Bowser. He's actually quite fast. He uses his crown, his blunderbuss, cannonballs, his helipack,electricity, boxing gloves. Have you even looked at the thread to see his potential. You could've just said you didn't like K Rool but going as far as to say he'd be Bowser, that's like saying King Dedede will be a clone of Ice Climbers because he's a penguin and has a hammer back in the Brawl days.
No, I didn't. That's how much I don't care about him. And the ICies are much too different from King Dedede to make the K. Rool being called Bowser a close comparison to ICies being a clone of Dedede. That just doesn't make sense. But let's not get into another argument.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
No, I didn't. That's how much I don't care about him. And the ICies are much too different from King Dedede to make the K. Rool being called Bowser a close comparison to ICies being a clone of Dedede. That just doesn't make sense. But let's not get into another argument.
Dedede is a penguin (ice) and has a hammer. Ice climbers use Ice and have hammers. Just because K Rool is a reptile doesn't mean he'll be a clone of Bowser.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Just because K. Rool is a large reptile doesn't mean that he would be a Bowser clone. That's like saying that Ridley would be a Charizard clone since they're both winged lizards, or that Isaac would be a Robin clone because they're both spellcasters with swords.

K. Rool has had at least four completely different boss fights in the Donkey Kong games (maybe more, but I haven't really looked into spin-offs or handheld titles), none of which are similar to fights against Bowser. Not to mention that he's easily the most noteworthy villain of the Donkey Kong series - to use another example, Ganondorf may not have been the villain of many of the recent Zelda games (outside of Hyrule Warriors, I don't think he's been in a game since Twilight Princess), but he's still the most prominent one in that series. Even if he hasn't appeared in a while, he's the first Zelda villain to come to mind.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Dedede is a penguin (ice) and has a hammer. Ice climbers use Ice and have hammers. Just because K Rool is a reptile doesn't mean he'll be a clone of Bowser.
Just because K. Rool is a large reptile doesn't mean that he would be a Bowser clone. That's like saying that Ridley would be a Charizard clone since they're both winged lizards, or that Isaac would be a Robin clone because they're both spellcasters with swords.
How bout everybody gangs up on me??? Gee, we all have our opinions. And my reasoning behind me saying that isn't because he's a large reptile, it's because he's big, slow, and a villain. We've already got 2-3 (if you count Dedede) big, slow, villains. We don't need another one unless there is absolutely NO OTHER villain in Nintendo to fulfill another villain role. We need small, quick villains that aren't clones *cough Dark Pit cough*.

And we also need Ice Climbers back.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
2-3 characters out of an almost 60 character roster isn't that much, particularly when (to my knowledge, anyway) this latest game added no heavyweights to the roster, and only one villain (Bowser Junior). Ghirahim would have worked as a smaller, more agile villain, but unfortunately, he's relegated to assist trophy status along with a bunch of other Zelda candidates who would have worked really well.

I really want the Ice Climbers back, even if they have to be altered to work on the 3DS (I feel like no series should be completely removed from Smash, and not having both their unique style of play and their awesome victory music is a huge loss), but I don't feel like other popular characters should be ruled out for reasons like that.

kylexv

Smash Master
2-3 characters out of an almost 60 character roster isn't that much, particularly when (to my knowledge, anyway) this latest game added no heavyweights to the roster, and only one villain (Bowser Junior). Ghirahim would have worked as a smaller, more agile villain, but unfortunately, he's relegated to assist trophy status along with a bunch of other Zelda candidates who would have worked really well.

I really want the Ice Climbers back, even if they have to be altered to work on the 3DS (I feel like no series should be completely removed from Smash, and not having both their unique style of play and their awesome victory music is a huge loss), but I don't feel like other popular characters should be ruled out for reasons like that.
Bowser Jr. is a heavyweight.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
How bout everybody gangs up on me??? Gee, we all have our opinions. And my reasoning behind me saying that isn't because he's a large reptile, it's because he's big, slow, and a villain. We've already got 2-3 (if you count Dedede) big, slow, villains. We don't need another one unless there is absolutely NO OTHER villain in Nintendo to fulfill another villain role. We need small, quick villains that aren't clones *cough Dark Pit cough*.

And we also need Ice Climbers back.
K Rool is ****ing fast in 3 out of 4 of his boss fights. Dark Pit isn't really a villain more of a rival like Meta Knight and King Dedede (Dedede isn't that villainy, he helps Kirby some times lol). I personally would like Goroh (look at my avatar) but he's an assist. And yes, Ice Climbers need to come back, but I think they'd have to get in through the ballot or the next game.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
So, I'm gonna talk about a few things. Just need to get them off my mind is all.

First off, I understand having no Ice Climbers, we've all gone over it and given are thoughts on that, but my newest complaint is: What's the deal with no Icicle Mountain or Summit stage in this Smash iteration. Would that really have been that difficult, to at least give us a stage to keep the Ice Climber series alive in Smash? Technical issues on a fighter is one thing, but removing any trace of the series by holding of on Stages too is another.

Second, today's rate their chances with Snake. I always considered him to be in a similar boat to the Ice Climbers, with most believing they have little chance. However, when glancing over some chances, I saw some scores in the 80%-90% range for chance, CHANCE! I have nothing against Snake, in fact, I see many similarities between him and the Climbers, I actually like him in Smash a bit. Both he and the Climbers were an entire series removed from Smash, and were unique in move set. However, seeing 90% and 80% chance scores for him, well, I can't help but feel a bit betrayed.

And lastly, a thought I've been having about the Wii U only Ice Climbers idea. I know the idea is a bit controversial, and my idea is bound to make it more so, but... what if the Ice Climbers were Wii U only, and free for all of those who have the Wii U and 3DS version, similar to Mewtwo, that way it's not really cheating 3DS owners. They would be free no matter what, and you can't purchase them if you only have the Wii U version, you need both versions, but they are free. This way, it's not like an actual DLC character, but more of... a gift. :awesome:

(I know I said lastly, but Smashpedia considers the Ice Climber universe as "miscellaneous." That's a little heart braking.:()

So, thoughts, concerns? I just needed to get these things out of my head and out for the rest of the world to hear. Or should I say the Ice Climbers' Expedition Crew, or the Icicle Mountain Expedition Crew? (trying to give us a creative name, like the K. Rool supporters have). Anyways, anyone care to share their two cents? :)

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
So, I'm gonna talk about a few things. Just need to get them off my mind is all.

First off, I understand having no Ice Climbers, we've all gone over it and given are thoughts on that, but my newest complaint is: What's the deal with no Icicle Mountain or Summit stage in this Smash iteration. Would that really have been that difficult, to at least give us a stage to keep the Ice Climber series alive in Smash? Technical issues on a fighter is one thing, but removing any trace of the series by holding of on Stages too is another.

Second, today's rate their chances with Snake. I always considered him to be in a similar boat to the Ice Climbers, with most believing they have little chance. However, when glancing over some chances, I saw some scores in the 80%-90% range for chance, CHANCE! I have nothing against Snake, in fact, I see many similarities between him and the Climbers, I actually like him in Smash a bit. Both he and the Climbers were an entire series removed from Smash, and were unique in move set. However, seeing 90% and 80% chance scores for him, well, I can't help but feel a bit betrayed.

And lastly, a thought I've been having about the Wii U only Ice Climbers idea. I know the idea is a bit controversial, and my idea is bound to make it more so, but... what if the Ice Climbers were Wii U only, and free for all of those who have the Wii U and 3DS version, similar to Mewtwo, that way it's not really cheating 3DS owners. They would be free no matter what, and you can't purchase them if you only have the Wii U version, you need both versions, but they are free. This way, it's not like an actual DLC character, but more of... a gift. :awesome:

(I know I said lastly, but Smashpedia considers the Ice Climber universe as "miscellaneous." That's a little heart braking.:()

So, thoughts, concerns? I just needed to get these things out of my head and out for the rest of the world to hear. Or should I say the Ice Climbers' Expedition Crew, or the Icicle Mountain Expedition Crew? (trying to give us a creative name, like the K. Rool supporters have). Anyways, anyone care to share their two cents? :)
Snake, of all veterans to the Smash series, has the lowest chance to return. I enjoyed him in Brawl, but now that he's gone, he's gone. Too much legal crap surrounding him. He doesn't have NEARLY an 80-90% chance. At MOST, he has a 30% chance. And that's just being nice. He's probably got an even lower chance than that.

ICies, however, DO have around an 80-90% chance. Somebody link me to the rate their chances thread. I need to set some minds straight...

Lol, just kidding, I hate getting into arguments. If one of you guys could smack some sense into them for me, that'd be very appreciated though.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Snake, of all veterans to the Smash series, has the lowest chance to return. I enjoyed him in Brawl, but now that he's gone, he's gone. Too much legal crap surrounding him. He doesn't have NEARLY an 80-90% chance. At MOST, he has a 30% chance. And that's just being nice. He's probably got an even lower chance than that.

ICies, however, DO have around an 80-90% chance. Somebody link me to the rate their chances thread. I need to set some minds straight...

Lol, just kidding, I hate getting into arguments. If one of you guys could smack some sense into them for me, that'd be very appreciated though.
Hmm, I myself would probably say both ICies and Snake have a 50-50 shot. There's a lot of darning evidence for both, but they have support that can definitely save them. Regardless, I gave Snake a 10 due to third party and licensing and such, but it still could be half and half.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
I wouldn't suggest getting into an argument about any of this, as while chance scores aren't supposed to pull want into them, they often time do. I mean, when we rated the Ice climbers, I gave a score of 50% chance. Some might see that as high, given the predicament they are in, but I saw it as a 50% chance they're fixed for 3DS, and 50% chance they aren't. Yes, scores of 80% and 90% are a bit high, but it's all still opinionated anyways.

Oh, @ Dee-SmashinBoss Dee-SmashinBoss if you want the link, here ya go. It's actually another thread on Smash Boards, so you should have no problem with finding it in the future. :)
http://smashboards.com/threads/rate...edition-day-79-sylux-and-rerate-snake.398604/

Anyways, speaking of rate their chances, I did some digging around the other day, and found one of the old Rate their Chances (rate their chances returns). I found some ratings for veterans. Here's the Ice Climbers.
1. Ice Climbers (Ice Climber): 97.79% overall chance (98.14% Smashboards, 93.45% GameFAQs),86.47% overall want(88.28% Smashboards, 56.67% GameFAQs)

Ha ha ha... actually this kinda makes me sad. Here's the link for a trip down memory lane.
http://smashboards.com/threads/rate-their-chances-returns-day-194-predicting-the-direct.338473/
Look for the spoiler: Veterans/Newcomers OLD ft. GameFAQs

Staarih

Smash Master
So I finally got around casting a vote for the Ice Climbers. I don't really know why it took me this long - guess I just sort of forgot about the ballot after throwing my first votes in. And I'm one of those who wants to keep it safe and vote for one character at a time, using different devices... and I fell short of devices haha, until now. It's never too late to show support though.

Anyway, for all Icies fans, you might want to check this out: http://tamarinfrog.deviantart.com/gallery/54883871/ICSSBM-Adventure
I've probably posted her site before, but this artist is a huge Ice Climbers fan and she recently began to draw a comic revolving IC's and SSBM.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Has anything ever been said about them not working with 8 player Smash, or does anyone know roughly how much strain 8 Ice Climbers on screen at once might cause? I've always wondered if 8 player Smash also happened to conveniently kill off the chance of Ice Climbers as a Wii U exclusive character. I've always though the fact that the rosters between versions had to have absolute parity when it comes to rosters, even if the 3DS was holding back the Wii U in some way to be absolute BS.

I said it prior to release and around release, but why the hell couldn't the Ice Climbers be the one exception if they were practically done? What is so wrong with one single Wii U exclusive character?

FancySmash

Smash Lord
So, Snake is now ahead of the Ice Climbers in want by less than 1%. I knew I should have gone 70 in want instead of 80, but I went 80 for a family member. I like to think I'm a nice person for that.

Anyways, I got a fortune from a fortune cookie that reads: "Infinite patience produces immediate results." Does... that mean what I think it means?
Ice Climbers confirmed perhaps?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
ThanksView attachment 58871
Whelp, I know it's not much but hey, I'm gonna support my babies :chuckle:
I love it; but the Pikachu on the top of the mountain looks kind of like an ape.

From what sakurai said on ICs it seems as though it would be hard to put them on 3ds (he never said impossible) but it would take too much time for a character from a franchise without a big future. I hope that now that the game is done he will find time to add them to the roster.
Veteran status trumps everything; Fire Emblem certainly has a future, but Roy is the definition of wasted time. If we CAN see the ICs, we will. I think they are easily the most missed character, even from sakurai. Here's to a DHD, Rosaluma, IC challenge.

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
So, Snake is now ahead of the Ice Climbers in want by less than 1%. I knew I should have gone 70 in want instead of 80, but I went 80 for a family member. I like to think I'm a nice person for that.

Anyways, I got a fortune from a fortune cookie that reads: "Infinite patience produces immediate results." Does... that mean what I think it means?
Ice Climbers confirmed perhaps?
Fortune cookies don't lie, man.

THAT IS ADORABLE OML!

SO IS YOURS!
Thanks.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655

1. It would feel even more empty if the stages transferred over and ICies didn't. It's not like Smashville in Brawl where Villager wasn't a character yet. It would feel more like the missing pieces are coming together if they came back bundled with a stage or two like Ryu to Ryunite reunite their representation.
2. 80%-90%? People really think copyright is that much more minor than technical issues on one version? I'm sure it's because there is nothing official explaining Snake's cut so we don't truly know about any other reasons besides time constraints. We can only speculate that it's issues with Konami and that he's from an M rated game while Smash 4 went from T to E10+. If there was an article saying something like "Snake was cut due to legal issues" then his chances would be much lower. It's hard determining Snake's fate when there's no official metal gear solid evidence going for or against him.
3. It may be confusing to some, but it actually seems a bit more fair, but at the same time, not so much. People who own both versions would be happy because they know they're getting the full value of Smash 4 and are being rewarded for it. But at the same time, Wii U owners who don't have the 3DS version would feel left out because they have the version capable of having ICies (hypothetically speaking) and they're locked out of a character unless they get the other version which they might not even care about since ICies won't be on that version. Wii U only owners would feel it would be a ripoff for having to pay $40 (more if they don't have a 3DS) in order to play as one bonus character on their Wii U. They'd see it as a DLC scam, and Sakurai does not tolerate those. What would be a better solution is if they're Wii U exclusive, ICies could be free to owners of both, and paid for Wii U only owners for roughly $5 so at least they don't have to drop an additional $35 for a version that doesn't have them. But how will it determine you have both versions? Nintendo Network ID? It might be a hassle for Nintendo to investigate your account to see if you're eligible, so if they're Wii U exclusive, they're Wii U exclusive with the same price tag as downloading a character on one version, only this time there's no 3DS or both version offer with the Ice Climbers.
4. Why would Smashpedia list them as miscellaneous? They have a base series unlike characters like R.O.B. who debuted as an accessory and has no base series.
5. Wow, a higher chance than want? And they're both 80%-90% overall? Well, I'm not surprised by GameFAQ's low want rating. I see a lot of salty posts there and pessimistic threads. If people were so hopeful then, why aren't they now?
So I finally got around casting a vote for the Ice Climbers. I don't really know why it took me this long - guess I just sort of forgot about the ballot after throwing my first votes in. And I'm one of those who wants to keep it safe and vote for one character at a time, using different devices... and I fell short of devices haha, until now. It's never too late to show support though.

Anyway, for all Icies fans, you might want to check this out: http://tamarinfrog.deviantart.com/gallery/54883871/ICSSBM-Adventure
I've probably posted her site before, but this artist is a huge Ice Climbers fan and she recently began to draw a comic revolving IC's and SSBM.
Yay more ICies votes! And those comics look amazing! She really is dedicated.
Has anything ever been said about them not working with 8 player Smash, or does anyone know roughly how much strain 8 Ice Climbers on screen at once might cause? I've always wondered if 8 player Smash also happened to conveniently kill off the chance of Ice Climbers as a Wii U exclusive character. I've always though the fact that the rosters between versions had to have absolute parity when it comes to rosters, even if the 3DS was holding back the Wii U in some way to be absolute BS.

I said it prior to release and around release, but why the hell couldn't the Ice Climbers be the one exception if they were practically done? What is so wrong with one single Wii U exclusive character?
Well, people have been suspicious about their compatibility with 8PS. As Sakurai stated, they worked fine on the Wii U. I don't understand why he'd explain ICies were cut because of the 3DS three days after the Japanese 3DS version released, though. Maybe if Sakurai stated it after 8PS was oficially announced, people who said ICies "may not work on 8PS" would immediately be shot down based on the time it was stated. When developing a game, naturally, you would have to plan all your major modes in the game way in advance before development starts. Also, 8-Player-Smash was a mode Sakurai wanted since Melee. And Ice Climbers are a Melee veteran. So with this in mind, he wanted this all out huge mode with 8 players on screen at once with every character in mind. Since Melee. Knowing that the Wii U was powerful enough to handle it, while making tweaks as preventative maintenance to ensure it always runs smoothly, and Ice Climbers were intended to be in the game, and Sakurai stated they worked fine on the Wii U, basically concludes that the Ice Climbers are certainly capable of running fine on the Wii U and in every mode in every scenario even with 16 Ice Climbers on screen at once without being too taxing on the hardware to make it lag horribly or crash.

So yeah, the only barrier to Wii U exclusivity is Sakurai's rule. If the 3DS version truly cannot run the Ice Climbers, I would have no problem with them being Wii U exclusive. But then again, I'm only one person, and I'm not in charge of the game.

Top Bottom