• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I'm so glad that we have Alax on our side. Since he's a fairly well known person within Smash, that helps give ICies some publicity. I think single skeleton ICies would be fitting enough to get them to work without having to worry about complicated AI and keep their duo mechanic intact in some way. Also if nobody's answered your other question yet, the Fighter Ballot ends October 3rd. Plenty of time to raise Ice Climbers awareness. :chuckle:

*sigh* As much as I'd like this to happen, it's only if Sakurai has a change of heart and decides to make an exception with them. I mean you can buy DLC characters individually on one version and they can offer them on Wii U only. And with their amiibo, since there's select compatibility, the Ice Climbers amiibo can be compatible with the Wii U version and the 3DS version will say "This amiibo is not compatible with this version of Smash." Since the appeal for the 3DS version has generally died out and got sucked up by the Wii U hype, the outcry would subside soon enough. Personally, when I get Lucas, I'll probably play him on the 3DS for maybe 10 minutes, get his trophies, and move on to the Wii U version. Maybe I'm just thinking selfishly, but when people say it wouldn't be fair to have them be Wii U exclusive, well, the 3DS is why we don't have them on the Wii U, and if they were in, 3DS owners wouldn't have them anyway (hypothetically speaking since we don't know if ICies are impossible).

Hey guys, here's another video showing the importance of ICies being in Smash and how excited people were when they appeared in Melee. You can even hear people say, "Ice Climber boys!" and, "Fifteen years later, Ice Climber's back!"
I've seen that before. At first: WHAT??? Ice Climbers??? Then: 15 years, and the Ice Climbers are back.

So, I was having a tin foil hat moment earlier today and I thought of the Amiibo coming out in the future. Think about the ones that haven't been announced yet and won't be coming out until at least October. In case you don't know who they are: Falco, Game and Watch, Duck Hunt, and ROB. Isn't that kind of interesting? All the retro characters and Falco. Keep in mind that Sakurai said that the DLC characters would get their own amiibo too. Something tells me that this may hint at Wolf and the Ice Climbers because the timing seems very deliberate. The poll ends in October and Star Fox for the Wii U will probably come out in November. Aside from Palutena and Dark Pit, all the Amiibo waves have been released in groups of at least five, strongly hinting that the last wave will be more than those four. Again, we'll just have to wait and see.
I think you might actually be on to something (still upset I have to wait so long for R.O.B. and G&W!!!).

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
d-dumb alax making me have hopes and dreams again for the best duo
HES RUINED ME

it really just depends if sakurai really does refuse to risk "alienating" players who's played as popo and nana in the previous games or not

I mean beautiful things like this could ever happen again, is this what we truly want?? (i mean i would be happy to have them at any capacity but a sacrifice like this is tough to swallow as well)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Smash Bros makes me into a terrible conspiracy theorist but I do think there will be at least two waves at the end. Star Fox Wii U having Amiibo support seems inevitible but for them to only release Falco for it seems weird. Granted, Fox will probably get a re-release too but I still have the feeling that more than those two will be joining them. The retro characters are another story because there really isn't a reason to hold off on them like they have. Some people might argue that they're not as popularity but you had characters like Wii Fit Trainer who were the first out the door. Some may argue that it's because they're unlockable characters but it seems coincidental that all of them were chosen for last and that they have the traits that they do. Releasing a retro wave with Game and Watch, Duck Hunt, ROB, and Ice Climbers makes sense to me and it would add more marketing appeal to them if they were released all at once. This is also why I think they might even do something like a "Melee" wave and do Mewtwo, Roy, Game and Watch, and Ice Climbers. Again, it's fairly easy to imagine them being squeezed in somehow.

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
Smash Bros makes me into a terrible conspiracy theorist but I do think there will be at least two waves at the end. Star Fox Wii U having Amiibo support seems inevitible but for them to only release Falco for it seems weird. Granted, Fox will probably get a re-release too but I still have the feeling that more than those two will be joining them. The retro characters are another story because there really isn't a reason to hold off on them like they have. Some people might argue that they're not as popularity but you had characters like Wii Fit Trainer who were the first out the door. Some may argue that it's because they're unlockable characters but it seems coincidental that all of them were chosen for last and that they have the traits that they do. Releasing a retro wave with Game and Watch, Duck Hunt, ROB, and Ice Climbers makes sense to me and it would add more marketing appeal to them if they were released all at once. This is also why I think they might even do something like a "Melee" wave and do Mewtwo, Roy, Game and Watch, and Ice Climbers. Again, it's fairly easy to imagine them being squeezed in somehow.
This is looking like one of the strongest, if not the strongest (or only hahaha), piece of evidence that the ICs may make a return. And Roy too, imagine that? If that were to be true, imagine the potential for everybody to come back (aside from maybe young link). That would actually be really cool. Snake, Wolf, ICs, (Luigified Pichu?) plus Lucas and Mewtwo? 'Twould be an awesome way to end the 'Sakurai era' of Super Smash Bros.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
This is looking like one of the strongest, if not the strongest (or only hahaha), piece of evidence that the ICs may make a return. And Roy too, imagine that? If that were to be true, imagine the potential for everybody to come back (aside from maybe young link). That would actually be really cool. Snake, Wolf, ICs, (Luigified Pichu?) plus Lucas and Mewtwo? 'Twould be an awesome way to end the 'Sakurai era' of Super Smash Bros.
Hey, who said he was leaving? He pulled this trick back after Brawl and said there wasn't going to be another (from him). I think he will stick around for at least one more.

But ya, that evidence is pretty good. I think we may be on to something.

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
Hey, who said he was leaving? He pulled this trick back after Brawl and said there wasn't going to be another (from him). I think he will stick around for at least one more.

But ya, that evidence is pretty good. I think we may be on to something.
I could see that. It's just that I heard that Sakurai is not a fan of sequels anyways. Then again, what else will he be working on that he can call his own? More Kirby? nah he quit that team. Kid Icarus? hm.
Also makes me wonder: will there be a new wii/nintendo console to go with Smash Bros 5 (some would call it smash bros 6, but nah) And a new handheld to blame for the Ice Climbers being cut? ;)

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I could see that. It's just that I heard that Sakurai is not a fan of sequels anyways. Then again, what else will he be working on that he can call his own? More Kirby? nah he quit that team. Kid Icarus? hm.
Also makes me wonder: will there be a new wii/nintendo console to go with Smash Bros 5 (some would call it smash bros 6, but nah) And a new handheld to blame for the Ice Climbers being cut? ;)
If there is a new handheld by then, Smash better not be on it. Smash was, mostly still is, and always should be, a HOME CONSOLE SERIES. I expect to have a new home console by then, considering it'll probably be a few years + another 1 or 2 due to DLC for Smash 4 till we get a new Smash game. Or, maybe this is the last one ever (though it's doubtful) and DLC will just keep expanding (again, unlikely).

FancySmash

Smash Lord
I heard from somewhere that Nintendo is starting to get into mobile games on phones and such. If they aren't doing anything else with the Ice Climbers, how does everyone feel about them releasing a series of mobile games with them? With the structure of most phones, I think the Ice Climber formula could work well.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Nintendo won't let this be the last Smash. Its a system seller and is one of Nintendo's key franchises. That be like saying Mario Kart 8 will be the last Mario Kart because this one has DLC. There will be new consoles and with that, new Smash Bros.s and new Mario Karts

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I heard from somewhere that Nintendo is starting to get into mobile games on phones and such. If they aren't doing anything else with the Ice Climbers, how does everyone feel about them releasing a series of mobile games with them? With the structure of most phones, I think the Ice Climber formula could work well.
It would be ok but I personally wouldn't like it (I can't buy mobile games). I think Nintendo in general should just stick to their mobile consoles but tis is the future of gaming, mostly s***ty mobile games and FPS's with literally the color palette of actual 50 shades of grey

FancySmash

Smash Lord
It would be ok but I personally wouldn't like it (I can't buy mobile games). I think Nintendo in general should just stick to their mobile consoles but tis is the future of gaming, mostly s***ty mobile games and FPS's with literally the color palette of actual 50 shades of grey
Yeah. I myself was actually surprised to hear that they might join the mobile scene, it doesn't seem like Nintendo. Alas, this is the era we live in. I was looking for a possible way they might revive the series. Perhaps all the retro characters in Smash deserve some form of revival (although I can't see one for Game and Watch, maybe a Paper Mario cameo?).

Also, a heads up, try to be careful of double posting (posting two posts one after another). I wouldn't want to see you get in some kind of trouble for it :).

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Yeah. I myself was actually surprised to hear that they might join the mobile scene, it doesn't seem like Nintendo. Alas, this is the era we live in. I was looking for a possible way they might revive the series. Perhaps all the retro characters in Smash deserve some form of revival (although I can't see one for Game and Watch, maybe a Paper Mario cameo?).

Also, a heads up, try to be careful of double posting (posting two posts one after another). I wouldn't want to see you get in some kind of trouble for it :).
Oh, I was already posting a comment on another person's thing but then your comment went up as soon as I posted mine so I wanted to reply to yours lol.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

ICies and Duck Hunt could probably get a revival. R.O.B. could easily come back, and it wouldn't even need a game! In this age, a robot that you can control would be awesome! But, maybe he could make a comeback in the Mario Kart games? I mean, he was in Mario Kart DS then pretty much left for dead till Brawl, with cameos here and there. G&W, I think, would work perfectly if Nintendo want to go the mobile route.

Last edited:

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
ICies and Duck Hunt could probably get a revival. R.O.B. could easily come back, and it wouldn't even need a game! In this age, a robot that you can control would be awesome! But, maybe he could make a comeback in the Mario Kart games? I mean, he was in Mario Kart DS then pretty much left for dead till Brawl, with cameos here and there. G&W, I think, would work perfectly if Nintendo want to go the mobile route.
I was thinking the same thing about G&W

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Question for you Ice Climber fans.

Does anyone have the exact quote from Sakurai about Ice Climbers. Most sites have a paraphrase.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Question for you Ice Climber fans.

Does anyone have the exact quote from Sakurai about Ice Climbers. Most sites have a paraphrase.
Gee, I believe I've looked before. I've found a few that seem like they're close to what Sakurai said, but I don't think I've seen the exact quote. I'll have some digging to do in the future I suppose.

FancySmash

Smash Lord
Masahiro Sakurai says "The Ice Climber does not come out to this Smash Bros., because the 3DS machine power is not enough."

Sakurai Masahiro Mr., present answer to typical questions about Smash Bros. (why the release date became separate the two models?) "in order to shift the debugging time. content in both models also declined to quite different for collision. If you absolutely match the release date, both might have been in 2015 " (is not that character!) is also packed with "a lot of fighters, there are people who care only characters that do not. Ice Climber but was moving in WiiU , substantial machine power did not work absolutely in need a 3DS. other fighter also, it was unavoidable feeling of moving and doing cut by cutting. In addition, potential and appointments there is no series character which software comes out in the future by all means priority is lowered. " (No figure of commentary was who wrote?) "is known in the text of the mother series, it is Akihiro Toda's."

Hmm, perhaps the translate function of the page isn't incredibly reliable, as this translation seems a bit weird.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
I did a quick Google Chrome translate this thing for me and got all that. I also looked at the translated comments and as I mentioned in one of my earliest posts, they're pretty much saying the same things we've been saying. What I'm thinking is that as long as the initial low priority they had during development remained a factor, then the ICies are more than feasible for DLC.

EDIT: I've been thinking about the possibility of Roy and Ryu being in, and I still don't believe it and I'm surprised people are believing it already. With the publicity they got, it makes people want those characters more, and part of me thinks that Sakurai would take this situation and say, "Great. Now we have to make these two Smash DLC."

Last edited:

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
It could be possible that the team ran into a few problems then gave up quickly due to the low priority thing and that, with much more time now, they could get them working almost identically to previous games.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
It could be possible that the team ran into a few problems then gave up quickly due to the low priority thing and that, with much more time now, they could get them working almost identically to previous games.
Some of us have been theorizing this for a while and it could very well be a plausible possibility. Time constraints are I'd say the bane of game developers' existence. If they run into issues with specific content, I suppose an opportunity cost is in order then and there. You don't just upp'n throw away something that people have an attachment towards when it's something that should be fixable. No, you have to follow corporate's orders and keep the most marketable content a priority. I'm just making a broad educated guess here, but it makes sense to me. It is evident that the team at least attempted if even for a little while to fix their issues, but they did have to give up and move on. From what we know, in no way do Sakurai's statements on the Ice Climbers translate to the word "impossible" giving us a reason to believe that they can still work. He did say that transformations on the 3DS were impossible, but I'd imagine it's because all that data taken into account and the other character being on standby must've eaten up so much of the RAM. It's not like I know everything though. Not even with coming up with accurate marketing strategies for Smash. Just sitting here theorizing until my babies are brought back to me... Anxiously waiting. Even willing to accept a solo Ice Climber as a last resort if they can't work (but I still believe they can function on the 3DS as a duo).

EDIT: I've been thinking about how far in development they've actually gotten to. Perhaps it was their updated model from Brawl, same moveset before balancing stages, etc. It really makes you wonder how long ago they were cut considering Sakurai's statement came out after the Japanese 3DS version's launch in September and way after the leak in August. It was mentioned that duo characters (Ice Climbers) were proven to be difficult implementing back in July 2013 if I remember correctly. He mentioned that the team tried to modify them and also stated he had to modify other characters in order to get them working. Examples would probably be Sheik, Zero Suit Samus, Olimar, and Charizard. All these characters went through modification (including Zelda and Samus) in their transition to Smash 4 and their changes were shown off during the Smash Bros. Direct last April. There seemed to be a theme with veteran fighter changes especially during that time period (alongside Bowser from even further back, Yoshi, and Lucario for other reasons). In conclusion, my theory is that they were probably cut During Q1 2014, probably February, March, or April. If they pulled through by then, we probably would've seen them during that direct or shortly after. So between July 2013 and April 2014, that should be enough time to find a solution and implement it, right? Well, this is where there priority takes part. It takes a lot to develop adding as much as possible as polished as possible into the core game. I don't really have prior knowledge within game development, but these things take time and content with higher priority gets served first. Sakurai's wording makes it sound like he's un-phased by it, but he probably wanted to keep any bias out of the picture regarding a veteran (although he didn't seem to hide his bias as much regarding Chrom). That's just what I'm thinking may be the case. Now, the Ice Climbers have no reason not to be included as DLC thanks to the game being finished and the Fighter Ballot.

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
So, tomorrow's rating for chance/want is the Chorus Kids. Weren't they supposed to be a trio? Hence they'd be in a similar boat (if not, worse) than the Climbers? If they do better in chance, I don't know what I'd do/think/say.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
The problem with the Climbers was their double ai, if they trio were treated like Duck Hunt was treated the issues are arguably very minimal.

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
The problem with the Climbers was their double ai, if they trio were treated like Duck Hunt was treated the issues are arguably very minimal.
While I'd be fine with this as a last resort (maybe you lose nana/popo/secondary ice climber, at a certain percentage? That'd be interesting), it would also be sort of sad to see their desync game possibly go away. Which is one of the most fun things about the Ice Climbers. Not like they could create awesome combos with desyncing or anything, aside from something like chaingrabs, but it was still fun.

I guess this would be better than Sopo/Sona--which would be the dumbest thing ever to have back from the Ice Climbers--unless they just do something totally great with their moveset that makes them an awesome 1v1 character.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
Whatever Sakurai decides to change for them if major changes are absolutely necessary, I trust that he'll come up with something that will satisfy fans and give a dynamic new playstyle to ICies for the better.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
While I'd be fine with this as a last resort (maybe you lose nana/popo/secondary ice climber, at a certain percentage? That'd be interesting), it would also be sort of sad to see their desync game possibly go away. Which is one of the most fun things about the Ice Climbers. Not like they could create awesome combos with desyncing or anything, aside from something like chaingrabs, but it was still fun.

I guess this would be better than Sopo/Sona--which would be the dumbest thing ever to have back from the Ice Climbers--unless they just do something totally great with their moveset that makes them an awesome 1v1 character.
It would be better for the game if the desync was gone. All it did was make silly matches and Rosalina and Luma work better for the "Two characters but separate" gameplay. Ice Climbers were always "strength in numbers," and playing on that works better for them. I've suggested having Nana have very simple AI and focus only on going back to Popo. This would solve the AI issue, change up their gameplay a bit, and make for a more balanced game.

TheBeardedPunisher

Smash Ace
NNID
KEVMASTERX
3DS FC
1392-6560-1655
It would be better for the game if the desync was gone. All it did was make silly matches and Rosalina and Luma work better for the "Two characters but separate" gameplay. Ice Climbers were always "strength in numbers," and playing on that works better for them. I've suggested having Nana have very simple AI and focus only on going back to Popo. This would solve the AI issue, change up their gameplay a bit, and make for a more balanced game.
I'd consider it beneficial to emphasize the togetherness of Nana and Popo as much as possible because of their bond as characters and I personally believe that their options in-game could be more consistent if they could stick together constantly. Losing the other climber is such a huge gimp in comparison to having both unless you know exactly how to pull off those solo techniques. The desynching and ability to lose your second climber could be a steep learning curve for inexperienced players possibly. It's hard to visualize those kinds of playstyles for now, but the desync restriction may work in their favor. It should also simplify the AI so it doesn't have to generate complicated and semi-independent patterns. I've been thinking of it as where the two Ice Climbers have different attack properties depending on their role in combat. For example, say it's the standard blue and pink color palette and Popo is the lead player-controlled climber while Nana is the secondary side partner climber. I'll start off with what they can do for a grab (because I know that's a very notorious topic for them). So maybe you can have it where the player-controlled Ice Climber, Popo, grabs the opponent and holds them in place. While their opponent is grabbed, Nana could be the one pummeling them with her hammer at a rate that's standard to other pummels in terms of speed and damage. It's like an artificial solo character grab mechanic. Only your controlled Climber can grab opponents, your controlled climber is the one who throws them, and they have to wait a second in order to grab the opponent again like every other character because of Smash 4's new grab mechanic, and BAM! No more chain grabs!

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
This was said before, maybe it was you, but so long as Nana has any AI and has to switch between moving around and syncing with Popo (or reverse those names for Sona costumes), the AI will still be a problem. Probably. I mean, think of what Nana did while not around Popo. At the most, Ice Blocks off-stage. Her AI was already fairly simple. It would be interesting if they could make it so that Nana and Popo don't desync at all, but they still have the strength of... 1.5 characters/players when together. Just allow Nana to fall/blast away at a certain percentage for the ultimate PoPo Agro plays. Maybe even have Nana respawn after one minute for the ultimate Lucario effect haha. rage plus Sopo agro plus 1.5 character initial buff.

I'm having too much fun just thinking about the ICs. But I don't see my idea happening, honestly. So it just goes to show how difficult it may be to keep the ICs resembling their past selves and still have them in the game.
Aaand I'm sad about them again. Sakurai plssss

Last edited:

FancySmash

Smash Lord
I'm having too much fun just thinking about the ICs. But I don't see my idea happening, honestly. So it just goes to show how difficult it may be to keep the ICs resembling their past selves and still have them in the game.
Aaand I'm sad about them again. Sakurai plssss
I'd honestly be shocked if we don't hear anything else about the Ice Climbers from Sakurai. At the moment, they're probably the second/third most wanted veteran, with only Wolf and possibly Snake ahead of them (I consider Wolf, Snake, and the Ice Climbers the big three, or is that the big four?). Even if we don't see them added to the game, I at least expect to hear something along the lines: "Seeing how much support the Ice Climbers have, we attempted to fix them again. However, despite our best efforts, the Ice Climbers continue to have issues in the 3DS. Not to worry though, expect to see them in Smash 5." Again, that's only a worse case scenario. With the support they have, I have to assume that the Smash team will at least try again to fix the duo. I even think with the extra DLC time, Ice Climbers are an almost guarantee for the game.

Marigi174

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marigi174
3DS FC
3652-0615-5300
I don't want this thread to die :(

The Ice Climbers are one two of the biggest glues that have held the fan base of brawl together (and simultaniously split it up 'cause chain grabs - basically M2K getting salty) at all due to the dual-character mechanic, and it made the game feel fresh as it opened up a new way to play and a new way that they need to be handled. I could see a large number of grab combos open up with IC in the picture such as a down throw to spike spike to jab-reset regrab utilising the spike on Nana's hammer and the ice blocks to jab reset and force a neutral getup, allowing for a safe regrab. Other characters have guaranteed regrab combos at low percents (e.g. assuming that the opponent is not a floaty and is at 0-2%, Mario is able to perform down throw-->up tilt-->up tilt-->grab-->down throw-->up tilt-->jab-->grab (no pummeling) to get two further guaranteed grabs, leading into a down throw-->up tilt-->up air chain), but these are very limited (i.e. very low percents). The dual character nature of the Ice Climbers means that they should be able to keep this going for far longer than other characters, and they could even theoretically do a grab release-->ice block flinch-->regrab to ensure that they can regrab up to high percents (utilising the release animation to desync and be able to regrab frame-perfectly due to not being locked into an ice block animation with the other climber). The more I think about it, the more interesting their grab game sounds and the new mechanics will shake up their playstyle enough to make them feel fresh. I am getting SO excited just thinking about the way that they could work around the new mechanics that I want them back now more than ever!

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
They should make a Wii U reboot of Ice Climbers so there will be more of an incentive to put them in Smash 4

1st person shooter

FancySmash

Smash Lord
I won't forget the Ice Climbers, and I won't let this thread die if I can help it. Why should we watch as clone after clone is brought back as a veteran, while the most unique veteran(s) still remain MIA?

Everyone, it's a difficult uphill climb, but we will get those vegetables back from the condor.
Err, I mean, we will get the Ice Climbers back from the technical limitations.

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
I won't forget the Ice Climbers, and I won't let this thread die if I can help it. Why should we watch as clone after clone is brought back as a veteran, while the most unique veteran(s) still remain MIA?

Everyone, it's a difficult uphill climb, but we will get those vegetables back from the condor.
Err, I mean, we will get the Ice Climbers back from the technical limitations.
To be fair, since Lucas was similar to Ness he was probably very easy to bring back. Same deal with Roy (if they do end up bringing him back).

Serell

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, pretty much this. I don't know anybody that would really be THAT bothered by one of the most wanted cut vets returning to only the Wii U. I mean, imagine Snake or Roy returning to the Wii U only. Who would really be mad? Yes, it would be unfortunate and a little disappointing, but for those who actually cared for the characters to begin with? Not a big deal. Hmmm--STILL, Sakurai wanted a portable smash. And if your favorite character isn't portable, and ia only usable at home on their expensive little console, that's going to be quite annoying. I think Sakurai has gone back on much of what he's said--but he probably won't go back on his word about identical rosters. It just feels right. Sakurai has his goals in order. :)
Yeah, people who don't have a Wii U and bought a 3DS/2DS SOLELY for Smash Bros and Smash Smash Bros alone totally wouldn't be extremely pissed :facepalm:
If they had version exclusive characters at the start, it wouldn't be that bad. But myself and many, MANY others only got Smash for the 3DS because we didn't want a Wii U and we were lead on to believe that both versions would have the same characters. I would feel CHEATED if they were to release Wii U exclusive characters this late after release, because I would have never bothered buying a 3DS and Smash for 3DS.

kantoskies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kanto-skies
They should have just been Wii U exclusives from the start if they couldn't work on the 3DS version.

Like the April direct rolls around and Sakura's like "the 2 versions will have the exact same roster EXCEPT the Ice Climbers, as Wii U exclusives because they couldn't work on the 3DS version." Nobody should have felt cheated by this because it's not a marketing tactic. The 3DS wouldn't have the Ice Climbers either way but there would still be a chance for them to be on the Wii U version. If anything, Wii U owners should feel cheated by them not being in the game because of the 3DS version.

And don't give me that "but 8 Player Smash!!!" thing. There's been no evidence that was a factor. Sakurai re-stated the 3DS as the sole reason even after the Wii U version's release. I get that he would have kept it a secret before 8P was announced but he's only ever listed the 3DS version as a factor (and even went as far as to say they were working on the Wii U; he never had to say that, he could have just said they weren't working on either version and then when 8P smash was announced everyone would put the pieces together).

Flor@

Smash Apprentice
With all this said, and the Ice Climbers being 2-time vets, I feel like it's definitely possible that Sakurai could be planning on implementing the Ice Climbers on both systems right around now--or at least in the somewhat near future, what with the prospect of DLC. In fact, he might have even been 'in' on the idea of DLC for a while now, and since then, he could have been saving up on the Ice Climbers' inclusion, continuing to develop them as we speak. I say this because, although he could make them a Wii U exclusive from the beginning and not have it be a big deal, he decided not to--despite the fact that he was the one who revived them and include them in Brawl and Melee, and despite the fact that they actually worked on the Wii U. While I don't doubt that people would be pretty suspicious of Sakurai holding out on us and charging us unfairly for the ICs, it's still possible that he'll make it work on both systems. Heh, maybe he'll do something like give Smash Bros Brawl and Melee owners the Ice Climbers for free, and everybody else being required to pay.

Then again, this is wishful thinking. I'm sure that any fan of any character could come up with some convincing theory on the inclusion of their character, and that character never even get the light of day in Smash. But honestly, as a guy who loves the ICs but also sees room for other characters to make it in, the ICs still definitely have a fighting chance.

Whatever, it's all been said before anyways. Instead of more of this rambling, have a pic of a hat I renamed on Team Fortress 2:

Top Bottom