• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Breaking the Ice - Ice Climbers DLC Discussion Thread - Under New Ownership!

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Well, if the Ice Climbers don't wind up as DLC, there's a pretty good chance they'll simply just return in the next game. Doc and Mewtwo took a six year hiatus so worst case scenario is that we'll simply have to wait awhile for their return.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
Again today I shed many tears.....
2 star wolf themes and no sign of Wolf.:wolf:

The Mother 3 Love song is back and still no sign of my baby:lucas:

And worst of all...... Ice climbers get ....a song.....not even a stage.
This makes me honestly (and I am not joking here) despise the 3ds version we lost an extremely unique character and gameplay style just for a portable smash..... (not to mention the C-stick is horrible feeling for me to play with)
Granted I love the 3ds version for going on car trips but that's just it though, it should have been a taste to what the Wii U would bring. Hopefully and I will never stop hoping that Sakurai will just put them back through DLC Because you know they are fully ready to go.
:popo:
I will never give up guys.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master

This makes me honestly (and I am not joking here) despise the 3ds version we lost an extremely unique character and gameplay style just for a portable smash..... (not to mention the C-stick is horrible feeling for me to play with)
Granted I love the 3ds version for going on car trips but that's just it though, it should have been a taste to what the Wii U would bring. Hopefully and I will never stop hoping that Sakurai will just put them back through DLC Because you know they are fully ready to go.
Give it some time, They'll be back for sure I just know it (At least Lucas and Wolf)

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Just for clarification, the Ice Climber theme does indeed play on Wrecking Crew.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Which makes me think...maybe Wrecking Crew was originally an Ice Climber stage? Both are multi-level and platform based. I wouldn't be surprised if they just slapped a new skin on it to change it to Wrecking Crew. Just an idea.

Dizzy_Fool

Smash Apprentice
Which makes me think...maybe Wrecking Crew was originally an Ice Climber stage? Both are multi-level and platform based. I wouldn't be surprised if they just slapped a new skin on it to change it to Wrecking Crew. Just an idea.
I don't know about that... the stage functions much more similarly to Wrecking Crew than Ice Climber.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I don't know about that... the stage functions much more similarly to Wrecking Crew than Ice Climber.
Admittedly, I haven't seen much of the stage in action. Twas just a random theory. Haha :p

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Gosh flipping dang it. This thread shouldn't even exist. This should've been a flipping confirmed character thread. Way to go, 3DS. Bravo...bra-flipping-vo.

This is what should've happened. Lucas, Wolf, and ICies are back, Dr. Mario, Lucina, and Dark Pit are thrown out the window. Why? They're more of clones than Lucas and Wolf AND they're honestly just padding to their respective franchises part of the roster. Dark Pit...I can kind of understand (biased Sakurai) and Lucina...well, Fire Emblem does need a female character. But DR. FLIPPING MARIO? Just outrageous. Stupidly, pathetically, outrageous. And I'd quite honestly throw DHD out too, there's just something about him (no, not his laugh) that I hate.

I am very insulted that both Ice Climber AND Gyromite/Stack-Up play on this stage. Both Ice Climbers and R.O.B. deserve to have their own stages, and the ICies also deserve to be back in the roster.

All this goes to show that the handheld piece of garbage that we call a 3DS has pathetic limitations.

WindozeNT

Smash Ace
NNID
WindozeNT
3DS FC
1865-1050-3752
Gosh flipping dang it. This thread shouldn't even exist. This should've been a flipping confirmed character thread. Way to go, 3DS. Bravo...bra-flipping-vo.

This is what should've happened. Lucas, Wolf, and ICies are back, Dr. Mario, Lucina, and Dark Pit are thrown out the window. Why? They're more of clones than Lucas and Wolf AND they're honestly just padding to their respective franchises part of the roster. Dark Pit...I can kind of understand (biased Sakurai) and Lucina...well, Fire Emblem does need a female character. But DR. FLIPPING MARIO? Just outrageous. Stupidly, pathetically, outrageous. And I'd quite honestly throw DHD out too, there's just something about him (no, not his laugh) that I hate.

I am very insulted that both Ice Climber AND Gyromite/Stack-Up play on this stage. Both Ice Climbers and R.O.B. deserve to have their own stages, and the ICies also deserve to be back in the roster.

All this goes to show that the handheld piece of garbage that we call a 3DS has pathetic limitations.
Just think: the (really limited) time that Sakurai could've spent fixing the Ice Climbers' programming on the 3DS was all spent entirely on Dr. Mario, Lucina and DARK F**KING PIT. Dr. Mario, I can understand; he's Mario with a Melee moveset. Lucina is a female FE character (or a transsexual Marth :troll:). But Dark Pit? There is no possible way in all of the entire universe, observable or otherwise, to justify or excuse his inclusion. Pit and Palutena are more than enough to represent a rather small series. Dark Pit should've been a palette swap at the very most. Sakurai's KI bias has gotten really out of hand, and it cost us the Ice Climbers (and probably Lucas, Wolf and Snake and probably delayed Mewtwo).

Last edited:

Sm4sher69

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-3958-0591
I couldn't agree more that I'd have Ice Climbers over the clones (especially dark pit and that says a lot since he is one of my mains), but it's still a fact that a clone takes ten times less to develop (yet we could've gotten better characters as clones than dr mario or dark pit). And I also don't like that dog very much, because he is just a dog, congrats Sakurai on making the very first game where you can beat a godess with an ordinary dog (please don't say there exists already one).

I really wanted an Ice Climber stage and I'd also love to see a Gyromite stage, instead we've gotten a wrecking crew stage, which I only will use to hear the Ice Climber music during a match, and a duck hunt stage, which looks extremely boring, as NES stages.
On top of that, maybe the balloon fight stage had Ice Climber music as well, but when Ice Climbers got cut they just replaced it with balloon fight from Brawl, which I didn't like at all and was completely unnecessary.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
One thing I want to point out to stop potential flame wars.

Getting rid of the three clones would have just given a roster with three less characters, not one with Lucas, Wolf, and the Ice Climbers in their places.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

Getting rid of the three clones would have just given a roster with three less characters, not one with Lucas, Wolf, and the Ice Climbers in their places.
Plus the fact that the clones probably took less development time than other characters, since they use moves and such from other characters. (Plus some of Dr. Mario's data could have been ported from Melee.)

Also - If people hate Duck Hunt because they "replaced" Ice Climbers or anything, Ice Climbers would have been in the same roster with Duck Hunt if they didn't cause problems on the 3DS.

-Anyways, the Ice Climber music is going to make me want to play the Ice Climbers when I hear it play.......
(I'll leave the music able-to-play just 'cause I'll still enjoy listening to it.)

Last edited:

Dizzy_Fool

Smash Apprentice
People still blame Lucario for replacing Mewtwo so I don't expect this new blame game to end any time soon. Unfortunately.

Sm4sher69

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-3958-0591
Plus the fact that the clones probably took less development time than other characters, since they use moves and such from other characters. (Plus some of Dr. Mario's data could have been ported from Melee.)
I am aware that clones take much less time to develop, though Dr. Mario would've taken just as much time as the others due to Melee's data being to old to recover on the Wii U and 3DS (that's why Mewtwo probably wasn't a normal fighter, but had to be placed in later as DLC, and why the only returning stages from Melee were also in Brawl.)
Also - If people hate Duck Hunt because they "replaced" Ice Climbers or anything, Ice Climbers would have been in the same roster with Duck Hunt if they didn't cause problems on the 3DS.
It's not that I don't like him because he "replaced" Ice Climbers or that people say he "replaced" Ice Climbers, but because I think we could've had a better obscure retro character (my personal favourite is Excitbiker, imagine a character that is constantly riding bike during the fight.)
-Anyways, the Ice Climber music is going to make me want to play the Ice Climbers when I hear it play.......
(I'll leave the music able-to-play just 'cause I'll still enjoy listening to it.)
I'm still hoping that the Icicle mountain music is back (seeing how Duck Hunt is the only other retro stage we've seen so far and they only showed the music from the starting stages, it gives me at least a reason to play that stage since it seems very boring from what we've seen so far).

Last edited:

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
I'd Also like to point out that Porky's Theme, Theme Of Magicant and Mother 3 Love Theme are played on Onett which pretty much disconfirms Magicant on the Wii U version and New Pork coming back which hurts Lucas a bit. Oh and Shin Onagshima is Actually played on the Punch-Out!! Stage for some strange reason

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787

I see your point, but I say that Ganon, Toon, and Falco are enough clones for us. Keep Lucina for FE female representation, but just get rid of Dark Pit and Dr. Mario. All the people wanted was for Mario to have his Melee moveset, would it have been THAT hard to replace F.L.U.D.D. with his Mario Tornado?

I'd Also like to point out that Porky's Theme, Theme Of Magicant and Mother 3 Love Theme are played on Onett which pretty much disconfirms Magicant on the Wii U version and New Pork coming back which hurts Lucas a bit. Oh and Shin Onagshima is Actually played on the Punch-Out!! Stage for some strange reason
Probably because since they didn't bring back the Summit stage (which that music was PERFECT for), they tried to put it into a different stage where the music would fit.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
I see your point, but I say that Ganon, Toon, and Falco are enough clones for us. Keep Lucina for FE female representation, but just get rid of Dark Pit and Dr. Mario. All the people wanted was for Mario to have his Melee moveset, would it have been THAT hard to replace F.L.U.D.D. with his Mario Tornado?

Probably because since they didn't bring back the Summit stage (which that music was PERFECT for), they tried to put it into a different stage where the music would fit.
I just thought about this recently ..... Pit and Dark pit will look exactly the same with the Metal Box.....
Oh I miss my mains :'(

J04KlM

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pichu4SSB4
3DS FC
4940-5417-1674

I somewhat believe that Dr. Mario and Dark Pit were thrown in as seperate characters to fill the void for the characters that got cut, Ice Climbers and Chorus Kids.

Don't know about Lucina, Sakurai did say she got her own seperate spot because of different characteristics from Marth. And we don't really have any evidence of a third planned character that got cut during development of the game, all we know for a fact is that Ice Climbers were cut. Several evidence within the game does suggest that Chorus Kids were at least planned. We don't even know if Lucas and Wolf were even planned for this game.

But, can i just get this off my chest? Ice Climbers Theme on the Wrecking Crew makes me frustrated and irritated. They could at least have still gotten a stage, and i know they definitely had a stage planned for them because they were in fact going to be playable. At least give us Summit from Brawl or Icicle Mountain from Melee, urgh.

Last edited:

Sm4sher69

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-3958-0591
I somewhat believe that Dr. Mario and Dark Pit were thrown in as seperate characters to fill the void for the characters that got cut, Ice Climbers and Chorus Kids.

Don't know about Lucina, Sakurai did say she got her own seperate spot because of different characteristics from Marth. And we don't really have any evidence of a third planned character that got cut during development of the game, all we know for a fact is that Ice Climbers were cut. Several evidence within the game does suggest that Chorus Kids were at least planned. We don't even know if Lucas and Wolf were even planned for this game.

But, can i just get this off my chest? Ice Climbers Theme on the Wrecking Crew makes me frustrated and irritated. They could at least have still gotten a stage, and i know they definitely had a stage planned for them because they were in fact going to be playable. At least give us Summit from Brawl or Icicle Mountain from Melee, urgh.
I really wanted an Ice Climber stage on wii u, but with their theme playing on wrecking crew stage makes it pretty much impossible.
Does anyone think Icicle Mountain track is one of the unlockable music tracks?

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero

I'm still waiting for the trophies God damn.... That's going to break me.... just like the 3ds trophies.

These 3 trophies broke me..... Seriously made me cry for hours.

These 5 made the pain worse but not as bad as the other 3 but as least one is coming back :'):mewtwopm:
Soon...:pichumelee::pt::squirtle::ivysaur::lucas::wolf::popo:
And these guys well I wasn't disappointed because I didn't grow to love the way they play like the others above.

"Insert Isaac here"
My god the feels Looking at these again :'(

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
I'm still waiting for the trophies God damn.... That's going to break me.... just like the 3ds trophies.

These 3 trophies broke me..... Seriously made me cry for hours.

These 5 made the pain worse but not as bad as the other 3 but as least one is coming back :'):mewtwopm:
Soon...:pichumelee::pt::squirtle::ivysaur::lucas::wolf::popo:
And these guys well I wasn't disappointed because I didn't grow to love the way they play like the others above.

"Insert Isaac here"
My god the feels Looking at these again :'(
Sakurai Be like :troll:

Sm4sher69

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-3958-0591
Sakurai Be like :troll:
Sakurai feeds on other people's dissapointment, that's why he cuts some very popular characters and doesn't include some much requested characters (Ridley, K Rool, Dixie Kong, etc.).:troll:

Last edited:

Dizzy_Fool

Smash Apprentice
You people are merciless. Yeah he doesn't include every popular character, yeah some characters get cut (he obv tried his best with the ICs though), but look at the requested characters he did include (Mega Man, Palutena, Little Mac, Shulk, Robin, Lucina, Bowser Jr, Pac-Man, Villager, Mewtwo) look at all the stuff he packs into the game. He clearly still gave Ridley the biggest role he thought was appropriate for the character. The only thing that's really inexcusable is his treatment of the DK series.

And let's be honest, none of the cut characters were among the most popular ones. Maybe Snake, but he's in another category. Lucas, Wolf, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and yes, the ICs had popularity, but weren't the most popular characters.

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
You people are merciless. Yeah he doesn't include every popular character, yeah some characters get cut (he obv tried his best with the ICs though), but look at the requested characters he did include (Mega Man, Palutena, Little Mac, Shulk, Robin, Lucina, Bowser Jr, Pac-Man, Villager, Mewtwo) look at all the stuff he packs into the game. He clearly still gave Ridley the biggest role he thought was appropriate for the character. The only thing that's really inexcusable is his treatment of the DK series.

And let's be honest, none of the cut characters were among the most popular ones. Maybe Snake, but he's in another category. Lucas, Wolf, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and yes, the ICs had popularity, but weren't the most popular characters.
ROB Was a Popular character? :p Anywho I understand where you coming from but its just very disheartening when your Mains are Cut For No Apparent reason or a Stupid reason which made no sense. I and lots of other people just feel that When your Fav Goes in a new Smash Game that You adored and Played so much is gone with tiny pieces of them left it just feels.....Strange like the Family isn't complete with out the ones who went MIA.

Dizzy_Fool

Smash Apprentice
ROB Was a Popular character? :p Anywho I understand where you coming from but its just very disheartening when your Mains are Cut For No Apparent reason or a Stupid reason which made no sense. I and lots of other people just feel that When your Fav Goes in a new Smash Game that You adored and Played so much is gone with tiny pieces of them left it just feels.....Strange like the Family isn't complete with out the ones who went MIA.
Well now I didn't say every inclusion was popular. :p

And I getcha, but it's also disheartening to see so many people focus purely on what we didn't get and all the negatives instead of everything we did get. It comes across as very ungrateful and it's upsetting to see so many people being pessimistic and entitled.

Also, judging by your icons, your Brawl main wasn't cut... and the only one that was got pretty much replaced by a character who plays very similarly. But yeah, it's upsetting to lose a character you like.

Sm4sher69

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-3958-0591

I was just trolling (just added the icon to not confuse anyone anymore).
I'm sure Sakurai and his team did their best to get as many characters in smash bros as they could.

Dizzy_Fool

Smash Apprentice
I was just trolling (just added the icon to not confuse anyone anymore).
I'm sure Sakurai and his team did their best to get as many characters in smash bros as they could.
Alright, that's good I guess, but even if you weren't serious, lots and lots of people are and seem to only be able to gravitate towards the negative. Oh well. :/

lightdasher

Smash Lord
This thread makes me wonder what it would take to get Nintendo to reboot ice Climber, a sequel or something, I mean, what sparked the Kid Icarus sequel? (the 3ds one not the gbc)

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Maybe like R.O.B. the Ice Climbers weren't supposed to have their own stage? Or maybe the came with one as an unlockable?

I think Balloon Fight was their 3DS home stage. Usually Balloon Fighter's theme plays on their stage, and there is a glitch that when you play with Villager (who unlocks the Balloon Fighter Stage) where they yell "Nana Popo." Wrecking Crew was probably planned to be a stage to begin with, and they just added that song once they decided to cut them.

Also, the fact Savvy Style gets music.... Idolmaster better get a track on the Pac stage.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
This thread makes me wonder what it would take to get Nintendo to reboot ice Climber, a sequel or something, I mean, what sparked the Kid Icarus sequel? (the 3ds one not the gbc)
Star-Fox originally started the KI:U project.
The game was originally going to be a new Starfox, but Sakurai changed his mind about it.
There's really not much interest in reviving the Ice Climber franchise nowadays, especially when looking at it at first glance.

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Right here man. I take offence to that first remark...

I'm pretty sure that the likelihood of an ICies stage has declined, now that Ice Climber is confirmed for Wrecking Crew. As is a stage for R.O.B. (sigh). But let us not forget that Mewtwo has a TROPHY in the game, and he's still going to be playable. I just hope the same fate goes to the ICies. And it is now obvious that they won't be WUE/3DLC, so DLC is the only option left for them. Hopefully they're announced on their anniversary, and we get them sometime between then and summer 2015.

4cast

Smash Ace
NNID
luma77
3DS FC
4511-0457-7629
Well now I didn't say every inclusion was popular. :p

And I getcha, but it's also disheartening to see so many people focus purely on what we didn't get and all the negatives instead of everything we did get. It comes across as very ungrateful and it's upsetting to see so many people being pessimistic and entitled.

Also, judging by your icons, your Brawl main wasn't cut... and the only one that was got pretty much replaced by a character who plays very similarly. But yeah, it's upsetting to lose a character you like.
Peach I used the Most but Lucas was second and I had lots of playing with the Icies so I was very saddened at the news of Lucas being cut

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Even with the lack of an Ice Climber stage, we still shouldn't start to lose hope yet for the IC being DLC. Afterall they could return with a past Melee/Brawl Stage ;). Just to give you guys a heads up

Top Bottom